Start by marking “Awoken” as Want to Read:
Awoken

Awoken (Viridian Saga #1)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  485 ratings  ·  174 reviews
In his house at R’lyeh, great Cthulhu lies dreaming... of her.

What would you do if you discovered you were the only one in the world with the hidden power to keep it from utter annihilation?

What if you had no idea what that power might even be?

Andromeda Slate, the self-proclaimed most ordinary girl in America, can’t figure out why the gorgeous but mysterious new boy at hig
Paperback, Debut Edition, 324 pages
Published August 19th 2013 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Awoken, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Awoken

Twilight by Stephenie MeyerThe Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsWith Good Behavior by Jennifer LaneExtremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran FoerSchindler's List by Thomas Keneally
Hand and Glove
42nd out of 519 books — 94 voters
Splintered by A.G. HowardTaken by Erin BowmanMILA 2.0 by Debra DrizaThe Madman's Daughter by Megan ShepherdThe Cadet of Tildor by Alex Lidell
YA Debuts 2013
228th out of 523 books — 2,399 voters

More lists with this book...

Enrique Constantino
This is "The Room" of literature. First of all, "You're tearing me apart!" is literally a line in this book, though it doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of some of the truly awful and/or bizarre lines of dialogue in this work.

Second of all, this book is bad. I mean, really, really bad. In fact, I don't think I recall reading anything remotely close to being this bad ever before in my life.

Why, then, the 5 star review? Because very much like the Room, this book is completely bat-shit insa
Cyna
This book is full of awful, awful characters, horrifying ethnic stereotypes, godawful writing, skeevy-as-fuck victim-blaming, rape-culture bullshit, internalized misogyny, and probably the second-worst fucking relationship in YA, after Patch and Nora.

And it was
amaaaaazing

...that sounds worse than I thought it would. WAIT LET ME EXPLAIN.

(view spoiler)
Serra Elinsen
Jul 30, 2013 Serra Elinsen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
May the bridge of the Lamb fall upon you!
Enrique Constantino

Navessa
Sep 02, 2013 Navessa marked it as nuke-it-from-the-orbit  ·  review of another edition
Chez Apocalypse
Not just the greatest book in history, the greatest thing that has ever happened to humanity. Ever. Even better than Bagel Bites or the iPhone.
Matthew Birkenhauer
I've gotten a hold of a copy of "Awoken" (went to a Con, saw some copies, snagged one up for reading material on the way back home) and I'm completely blown away. Maybe a bit brain damaged from the impact, too.

Awoken’s “story” is about a character named Andromeda Slate (yes, really). I use the terms “story,” “character” and even “about” so you can understand me. Like the Old Ones of Lovecraft lore, mere words are insufficient. This is not a story—it’s the frustrated fantasy of a miserable shut-i
Glennothi
The quality of this train-wreck uhh… I mean Serra’s first attempt at a novel can be summed up by simply listing her "characters".

Andi Slate: I’ll give Mrs. Elinsen credit here in that “Andromeda Slate” at least seems have a semblance of an almost personality. Too bad said personality is awful. She is annoyed by practically anything: She harps on about the tiniest of imperfection in everyone she meets whilst constantly complaining about how her friend Bree is “too perfect”. Meanwhile she barely b
Chaos012
)(-E )(-E )(-E )(-E! I looooooooooved t)(is book! Riley is so hot unlike -Edward Cullen. )(e is suc)( an ass)(at unlike Riley <3 <3 <3 <3. )(e )(as suc)( Fat)(oms of Depth and dimensions. and layers to )(im. I don't like Andromeda s)(e is suc)( a cold fis)( (no fis)( pun intended). I loooooooooove Riley <3 I would s)(are a filial pail wit)( Riley any day.

I AM SO -EXCIT-ED! W)(en the book is on -EBook.

RILEY <3 FEFERI, FOR-EV-ER!

Glub glub glub glub glub glub glub! keep up t)(e g
Flora Nogrady
What a fantastic book.

My sides hurt from laughter as I read this glorious novel in about a day and a half. It wonderfully lampoons all of the most terrible things in the Twilight-inspired paranormal [teen] romance genre, though not so much that it awkwardly points out 'look how bad this all is!' The word choices are hilariously awful, the overdone descriptors great, and just... Ah, yes, great. I'm looking forward to the sequel, if/when it comes out.

I'm not terribly great at parody myself, not
Annie Wilkes
THIS BOOK IS EPIC!!! I KNOW YOU THINK I'M STUPID FOR LIKING THIS, MR. MAN. BUT QUESTIONING THE QUALITY OF THIS BOOK IS LIKE HAVING DOUBTS ABOUT SPARKLE MOTION. YOU JUST CAN'T, IT'S THEORETICALLY IMPOSSIBLE!!

I REALLY HOPE SERRA ELINSEN TOURS IN MAINE, AND SHE BETTER NOT KILL THE MAIN CHARACTERS EITHER!!!!!!!!!!!
Violet Little
Mrs Elinsen I just read your book and I had to tell you "face to face" how much your book impacted on me and how much I liked reading and rereading your book but I can't really say anything that you would find interesting because someone like you would despise my words because I can't say things as beautiful as you say. Reading your book is such an intense experience because you make the characters so real and clear and their story is so moving and quiet in the same time you describe with so muc ...more
John
This is without a doubt the worst book I've ever read. No doubt. So why did I give it two stars? Because it is so bizarrely bad that it kept me guessing until the very end as to how far it would go into badness. First of all you should know, this is basically Twilight with Cthulhu. A concept so weird I had to read it. For starters, the character who seems to be the villain is in fact our love interest. Despite being stalkerish, possessive, and in the words of the book "almost predatory". I suppo ...more
Yingzi Chen
How dare this self-proclaimed author smear Lovecraft’s name by dishonoring his creations with such a piece of trash. Sarah completely misinterpreted the brilliant lore and completely disregards the original content of Lovecraft’s stories. First of all, Nyarlathotep, the Crawling Chaos is an Outer God, not a Great Old One. Second, the protagonist often calls Cthulhu “her Great One,” a grievous error seeing that the Great Ones are actually a separate, weaker pantheon of gods residing in Dreamlands ...more
Lainey
I almost wanted to like this book. Unfortunately since Uncle Neil was unable to ever complete a sentence, my day was utterly ruined. In the future Serra Elinsen would do well to remember that side characters like Riley and Andromeda should not talk so much, even if one of them is the narrator. Where would the Great Gatsby have been if Fitzgerald let Nick do all the talking? Neil is clearly sidelined in the midst of his own story. I mean sure those two drive what pathetic excuse passes for a plot ...more
Posthumor
I KNOW I HAVEN'T EVEN READ THIS YET BUT ITS GOING TO BE AMAZING SEXY FABULOUS SO FIVE STARS RIGHT NOW!!!

KEEP WRITING SERRA!!! WE BELIEB IN U!! <3 (;,,,;) <3

- rileys soul wife
Toli B
An interesting first attempt, I read the chapter Serra E. put on her website, and I must say it's like nothing I've ever read before. Once my brain stopped screaming, I rushed to this website to share my thoughts on it. This book is so wrong in all the right ways. it's the perfect blend of guilty pleasure, Self flagellation, and seems to have the same effect as climbing a mountain blindfolded; you know you should stop, but making it to the top is so worth it. I can't wait to see what else this a ...more
Howdy YAL
Sep 02, 2013 Howdy YAL rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: No One!
Horrible. Just horrible. I'm glad I didn't pay one cent for this (anyone curious, you can borrow it on Prime for free).

Don't let the fake reviews fool you. As for any potential trolls, I should warn you I'm feeling particularly nasty after reading this and I will have NO mercy telling you I don't care.

Full review to come.

Somehow I have two reviews for this, I don't know what happened the link to the full review is here: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...
little machines
Jul 29, 2013 little machines marked it as to-read
So excited for this book!!! It's going to be so amazing and unique, I know it! :D
Lina

There are two things I want to discuss in this review. First, I want to just talk about how I feel the book works as a parody and then I want to just talk a little bit about YA in general because of the issue that came up when this book was released. If you don't know the backstory of how this book came to be there are a series of videos on Nostalgia Chick's site that talk about that.

Awoken:

Awoken hits all the beats that the cliche of paranormal young adult novel is generally supposed. We have o
James
I am somewhat loathe to be one of the people stating outright that this book is a parody, but I feel that this aspect of the book's creation is one of the things that makes it so enjoyable. Also, frankly, if the concept of "Twilight with Cthulhu" isn't intended to be absolutely hilarious, the author, editor, and publisher of this novel need to be roundly smited by the Great Old Ones. But no, this is a fairly obvious send up, with a web series documenting every step from conception to publication ...more
Dan Stewart
Look, I don't get what some of these haters are so hung up on. I mean, "Awoken" is a wonderful book, one that has a strong female protagonist to boot! Peeps just be trollin' 'cause they're jealous that it's not them in Serra's place.

Ignore the trolls and just believe me when I say this book is my favorite of the year, by far!
May
The character of Andi Slate just...uhg. Elinsen, do you think teenage girls should commit suicide if their boyfriends break up with them? Cause thats basically what andi tries to do. Her life has "no meaning" without this boy. Was it supposed to be an allegory for jesus?
Travers
This book is a resounding triumph in the world of young adult fiction, completely revolutionizing the genre as we know it. Fellow readers, prepare yourselves for an incredible journey through the imagination of this rising star of an author, as she raises the bar of the genre to a level unseen since the heyday of Stephenie Meyer's masterpiece. Whether you are a frequent connoisseur of this particular variety of literature, or if happen to be simply dipping your toes into the welcoming waters of ...more
Sarah  Goldstein
This book changed my life. It healed things inside me I didn't even know were broken. Ms. Elinsen takes her place among the greats like Bronte, Shelley, and Meyer. Andromeda Slate is one of the great literary heroines. It is so refreshing to have such a strong, self-sufficient woman as a protagonist. The originality of the plot and characters is amazing. I cannot say enough good things about this book. Read it!! Read it immediately! You will never be the same.
Rachel
Awoken is a pretty perfect version of what it is. It's the perfect archetype of the Y.A. paranormal romance. It contained all the elements of other books of this type but I think the subject matter chosen really elevated it to another level.

The decision to use pulpy cult classics like Lovecraft's Cthulu and The Phantom of the Opera really worked much better than trying to blend this genre with classic literature. The downgrade of source material actually improves the quality of the novel as it
Seth Campbell
Let's get some things out of the way:

I'm NOT a fan of Romance, paranormal or otherwise.

I'm NOT the target audience.

By virtue, I SHOULDN'T like this book. At all.

And yet, I do.

Now, just to get a few last things out of the way: I'm a dude who only read this book once and is NOT a purist in regards to adaptation and reimaginings. (I was cool when the House-Elves got cut from the 4th Harry Potter movie) With all of that out of the way, let us begin the review proper.

If I had to describe Awoken in on
Adam Masters
It's tripe but surprisingly ambitious tripe. What I mean is that I think that the book is aiming to do something bizarrely profound by humanizing some-very inhuman monsters, creatures that are in their own setting about as far from human as it is possible to be. Now I personally love the idea for two main reasons one it is kind of counter-cultural and two it will annoy my Mythos touting role-playing buddies.

The main problem I found with it is that it could have been so much more than it was if i
astaraelsget
In Serra Elinsen's new YA novel, a young, teenage girl falls in love with a handsome, brooding boy with supernatural qualities. Same old, same old, right? Wrong! Although seeming like yet another mindless YA PNR with questionable relationship dynamics (the fact that the main characters weren't always very likable certainly doesn't help dispel this preconceived notion), the book contains some surprisingly deep themes: fantasy vs. reality, destiny vs. free will, and the redeeming power of love. Su ...more
Movie Cast for Awoken 18 123 Aug 15, 2014 04:56AM
Serra's religion 4 12 Aug 12, 2014 03:01PM
Arisen - Book 2! 23 27 Aug 10, 2014 12:14PM
Who is reading Tiger's Curse? 4 6 Aug 04, 2014 04:29PM
Soundtrack for Awoken (Att: Mrs. Serra Elinsen) 3 34 Aug 03, 2014 01:59PM
Book 2? 4 20 Mar 19, 2014 08:59PM
Is Vik supposed to be likable ? 2 24 Feb 18, 2014 10:51PM
  • The Gunfighter and The Gear-Head (The Raven Ladies, #1)
  • The Vanishing
  • Extraordinary
  • Jacob Wonderbar and the Cosmic Space Kapow (Jacob Wonderbar, #1)
  • Last Flight Out
  • Burn Pile
  • The Secret of Castle Cant: Being an Account of the Remarkable Adventures of Lucy Wickwright, Maidservant and Spy
  • When Destiny Knocks (Destiny Saga, #1)
  • アオハライド 11 (Ao Haru Ride #11)
  • Adela Arthur and the Creator's Clock (The Chronicles of A, #1)
  • The Fourth Wish (The Art of Wishing, #2)
  • Finding Cassilia
  • Beauty and the Beast
  • The Bestseller
  • Adversary (Ganzfield, #2)
  • A Throne of Bones (Arts of Dark and Light, #1)
Arisen

“He looked at me the way you’d look at a poodle that suddenly started reciting Hamlet.” 26 likes
“How can this be real?” I whispered. “I mean you... you... where you come from. Your world. It is so beyond everything I've ever known. And you would... you would take me to the Pumpkin Ball?”

“Try and stop me.”