Start by marking “Tim” as Want to Read:
Tim

Tim

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  2,527 ratings  ·  146 reviews
Mary Horton is content with her comfortable, solitary existence . . . until she meets Tim. A beautiful young man with the mind of a child a gentle outcast in a cruel, unbending world he illuminates the darkness of Mary's days with his boyish innocence. And he will shatter the lonely, middle-aged spinster's respectable, ordered life with a forbidden promise of a very spec ...more
Published March 14th 2000 by Éd. du Rocher (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Tim, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tim

Outlander by Diana GabaldonDark Needs at Night's Edge by Kresley ColeCaressed by Ice by Nalini SinghBorn in Sin by Kinley MacGregorArcher's Voice by Mia Sheridan
Books with Virgin Heroes
42nd out of 334 books — 627 voters
The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCulloughTomorrow, When the War Began by John MarsdenA Town Like Alice by Nevil ShuteCloudstreet by Tim WintonPicnic at Hanging Rock by Joan Lindsay
Best Books Set in Australia
35th out of 552 books — 308 voters

More lists with this book...

Becky
Wow... There is so much that I want to say about this book, and I don't know if I will really be able to do it all justice. I think I'm just going to go for my tried and true method and just ask you to tag along with my ramblings... Hopefully it will make sense at the end. :)

On the surface, "Tim" is a story of an unlikely relationship between a child-like 25 year old mentally retarded man, the title character, and a 43 year old straight-laced and emotionally distant spinster, Mary Horton. Natura
Phrynne
Well I have read and loved many of this author 's books but this one did not really work for me. Much of the story is naive and unbelievable and the characters are stereotypes. I enjoyed it in parts but skimmed a lot of the long paragraphs where people explained their actions and their inner feelings. The ending is extremely odd and the last few pages totally unnecessary. Sorry to all the people who love it - it was obviously just not my cup of tea! I understand it was her first book but how she ...more
Ingela
Still..
5 Huge Stars - Forever one of mine early very memorable readings

photo a03828ff3065130e5084a3fe578db806_zps14101799.jpg

Sometimes I fall down in the old memory lane...

I loved this story then long ago. Looked in my bookshelf and my Swedish translated hardcover book was printed in 1980 and I bought it (perhaps on a sale) in 1982. Yes, 1.9.8.2 !!!

I've read it a few times since then but it is certainly 15 years since the last time.

A great of heart touching story about a 'older' mature woman and a young man who still partly is and always will
Jane Stewart
4 stars. A wonderful feeling at the end for two people loving each other. But there is also sadness about Tim’s challenges.

A richly done novel of love. I was engaged throughout. I didn’t want to stop reading. Tim is 25 with the mind of a child. He seems to be happy about most things. A spinsterish woman in her 40s truly loves him. She goes through changes because of him. I was so happy for them at the end. My feelings were wow, warm, wonderful. But I was also sad thinking about Tim. He’s mistre
Minnie
Apr 28, 2008 Minnie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Adult readers
a most unusual but believable love story. Not only do the main characters ring true but they are surrounded by equally believable supporting characters. I loved Tim's mum! And the Australian landscape was beautifully evoked. A remarkable book.
Simone
Tim Melville is a twenty-five year old labourer who is “not the full quid” (as he describes himself), yet he has the body and face of a Greek God. Mary Horton is forty-three, an emotionally brittle woman who lives alone in an upmarket Sydney suburb with no plans to let anybody into her inner sphere. They meet by chance one summer morning and so unfolds a touching story of friendship and ultimately love in 1970s suburbia.

Similar to The Thorn Birds, this is a book I first read as a teenager and ha
Kelly
This is an amazingly sensitive early portrayal of a mentally disabled man and his relationship with a woman. For people who want to write about mental disability or even know more about it -- this is a book I would recommend. Yes, it does fall into romantic tropes at times, but the viewpoints of the disabled man, his parents and his sister are just so realistically drawn. This is a quiet, powerful book.
Brenda
No matter how many times I read this it never fails to make me shed a tear or two. Tim, a stunning looking, young man with special needs is befriended by a lady who lives in the house next door to where he is working as a builders labourer, From thereon the story unfolds...... A one sitting book if you have the time.
Stephen Kerwin
With the recent passing of Colleen McCullough and seeing her novel 'Tim' on the Kindle Daily Deals, I thought it was time I read one of her books. Most people have heard of 'The Thorn Birds' however up until now I haven't read any of her books.

When I started reading 'Tim' I noticed my edition had been published in 2000 so I was expecting a reasonably recent setting. What I didn't realise was this novel had been originally published in 1974 so the language used was not what I was expecting. I sho
Fira Rosli
YOU GUISE. READ THIS BOOK. JUST FREAKING READ IT.

I was mindlessly carousing along my school library's bookshelves, waiting for my next lecture and out of curiosity or perhaps mild interest, I picked out this book. I remember thinking to myself that this book must have been published quite a long time ago. I read the summary and decided to take a seat and read it.

Guess what? I was instantaneously hooked by it. The author's writing is just perfect and it flows so damn well. I love her writing AL
Kazza
I read this book when it first came out. Talking to my blog partner reminded me of the beautiful Colleen McCullough books I read, including Tim. Such real, multi-layered characters, thoughts, and so very Aussie in nature. I do love sweet and kind primary characters and I get that here in Tim. I feel a re read coming on.
Sheziss
¿Qué es mejor: ser listo o tener suerte?

Mary Horton es una alta ejecutiva de 43 años, vive sola en uno de los barrios más lujosos de Sydney. Huérfana desde muy joven, ha consagrado su vida al trabajo. Un día, sin embargo, se encuentra con Tim, y esa vida monótona y vacía cambia drásticamente. Tim Melville es un joven de clase media, peón obrero, con familia y amigos que le adoran. Pero no es sólo la edad o la posición social lo que los separa, sino también la mentalidad. Sin saber muy bien por q
Katie(babs)
There are no words to describe this wonderful and moving novel. Yes, it maybe a bit outdated, but the character of Tim has so much heart and goodness in him, that most readers will wish he was real so they could take him home.

Tim is a somewhat mentally handicapped 25 year old (think Forrest Gump). He lives with his mother, father and sister and basically just works and lives a simple life. He lives this simple life because that is what everybody thinks he is limited to. Until Mary comes along..
Heather
This was my first Colleen McCullough book and it won't be my last! Her writing was exquisite and so moving. She truly has a gift for putting feelings and emotions into words and you can't help but be pulled in and hypnotized by her.

This was such a unique story and unlike anything I've read before. There was such a tenderness and vulnerability to it that tugged at my heart from the very beginning. I loved watching the beautiful relationship that developed between Tim and Mary and I was never quit
Jackie
I loved the writing in this book. This is my first McCullough book and I just know I will be reading more of her. This book is about the beautiful but mentally challenged Tim who meets the lonely spinster Mary Horton. Although they’re an unlikely pair, from their very first meeting they have a beautiful connection together. I did not think that the relationship would exactly work but with they fit together perfectly. There was an innocence and vulnerability about their interaction that really to ...more
Rebecca Aho
Such a sweet and quirky love story! Surprising and delightful story of how an emotionally retarded woman falls in love with a mentally retarded man and they fill the holes in each others souls.
Kandice
Breaks my heart every time!
Leah Blair
I'm shocked that in the end I'm only giving this book 3 stars, but it really just stopped being engaging at a certain point. The writing, of course is beautiful--I would expect nothing less from Colleen McCullough--but when the book is about 3/4ths finished, it drags. The ending here, at least for me, is a real head-scratcher, and it adds nothing to the overall arc of the story.

The book would benefit from losing about 20 pages, in my opinion. Especially after the main arc of the story is resolv
Célia
Tim foi o romance de estreia da grande escritora australiana Colleen McCullough. Dela já tive oportunidade de ler Pássaros Feridos, que adorei, e também O Toque de Midas, e em ambos ela demonstra a sua grande habilidade para a escrita. A série O Primeiro Homem de Roma continua a aguardar-me, bem como A Canção de Tróia, mas por enquanto decidi ler Tim, aproveitando ter saído na colecção da revista Sábado.

Tim é um jovem absolutamente lindo, provavelmente um dos homens mais bonitos a ter pisado a f
Laura of Lurking
This is not my usual type of book, but having seen the film I was curious.

Despite being almost 40 years old this novel has stood the test of time, even the terms that would be considered indecent discrimination around Tim's learning disability can be justified by the point of view's opinion.

The writing was simple and flowed at a relaxed pace, the characters well drawn. I particularly liked how Tim himself was dealt with, the reactions he gave to situations were believable and endearing.

I would
Bella Scotia
I loved this book, but then I love ALL Colleen McCullough's books. She has such a wonderfully descriptive writing style.

Tim is a twenty-five year old man who has the mental capacity of a child. The language in the book regarding this might be offensive to some, but it's most likely reflective of the attitudes of the time. Tim is described as a retard and 'not the full quid.'
I didn't find this offensive because the author has such a brilliant way of writing authentic dialogue that the coarse ter
Deni Loubert
Oct 20, 2014 Deni Loubert rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: romance lovers
Shelves: romance
Colleen McCullough introduces us to 1950s blue collar life in Australia with a simple quiet touch. Here we meet Mary Horton, a quietly persevering woman in her mid0fourties who despite a tough start and little in the way of looks manages to create a comfortable life in business and a small amount of wealth. She isn't unhappy, but she isn't happy either. Into her life is introduced Tim, a young man in his early twenties with the body of a god and the mind of a child. When she first sees him she i ...more
Andrew
Colleen McCollough is a great author. She personifies such uncharacteristic sentiments that cut in sundry and unexpected ways. This book, and her better known work The Thorn Birds, are full of vim and eccentric themes – themes of what are considered unusual for a person to feel as an abbreviated version of what is, in fact, normal. The experiences of Tim afford a hugely expanded picture of human behavior (see every other book review about it) and thereby a confirmation of the essential normality ...more
Joanne
I liked the special and unique relationship between Tim and Mary. Written in the 1970s, Mary is a spinster in her forties and Tim has the mind of a child and the body and looks of a Greek god. The two bring out the best in each other and provide a new lease of life. Their relationship improves their lives too. Before, Mary leads a quiet repressed life of order and routine. Tim literally adds colour to her grey life by suggesting a red table and stool into Mary's home. Tim is a gentle childlike s ...more
Debra
This is a case where I think the original movie with Mel Gibson and Piper Laurie was better than the book. The writing just didn't seem as good as I'd expected and the ending was a bit abrupt and disjointed. I really cared for the characters and it's a lovely bittersweet story about an unconventional love between 2 people.
Estefânia Botelho
Li este livro num fôlego...
Como nos outros livros que já li desta escritora ( Um passo à frente e As Senhoras de Misalongui), fui surpreendia pela mestria da sua narrativa e pela belíssima história que nos relata...
É a história da inocência no seu estado mais puro e de como o amor e a morte estão presentes na vida de qualquer pessoa, de qualquer raça, de qualquer sexo, de qualquer estado psíquico ou social....
Retrata a forma como são tratadas as pessoas ditas "diferentes" numa sociedade fechada
Jeane
I was very curious about reading this book and knew there was a very good change I wouldn't read it. It all depended how and what would been written. I just don't like reading books about sentimental, to people happened stuff or about mentally retarted people. I don't have any neative feleings towards tese people in life but I jsut don't like books about them. I hated The curious incident of the dog in the night.

This writer wrote the story that is one of my mother's favourite movies ever, which
Filipa
Nunca tinha lido nada da autora Colleen McCullough, embora já tivesse ouvido falar muitas vezes da sua escrita com palavras até bastante positivas.
Durante muito tempo, a oportunidade não se apresentou pelo que a vontade de experimentar a autora foi ficando esquecida no meio de tantos outros livros, até que comprei o livro “Tim” que é parte integrante da colecção Sábado.
Ora aí está a oportunidade que há tanto tempo andavas à procura, pensei eu para mim. Mas não foi bem assim e o livro acabou por
Nuno Chaves
Tim, foi de facto uma das melhores surpresas (senão a melhor) literarias de 2009… o livro já não é novo, mas foi para mim a descoberta de Colleen McCullough. À muitos anos recomendaram-me «Pássaros Feridos» que está na calha para o novo ano. lembro-me vagamente da série televisiva, mas nunca tinha lido nada desta autora, que me encantou pela fluidez e magia da sua escrita. Tim é de facto um romance exemplar! a linguagem utilizada pela autora, é ligeiramente diferente da utilizada hoje em dia, ma ...more
  • A Sport of Nature
  • Danube: A Sentimental Journey from the Source to the Black Sea
  • Mar Morto
  • Without Blood
  • Os Pilares da Terra - Volume II
  • La herencia de Eszter
  • Fortunes of Richard Mahony
  • The Volcano Lover: A Romance
  • A Vingança do Assassino (A Saga do Assassino #4)
  • All The Rivers Run
  • The Old School
  • Blue Moon (The Runaways, #3)
  • Secret Admirer
  • For the Term of His Natural Life
  • Wild Oats (Wild Oats, #1)
  • Hidden
  • Os Livros que Devoraram o Meu Pai
  • A Casa Quieta
Colleen McCullough AO (born 1 June 1937) was an internationally acclaimed Australian author, born in Wellington in central west New South Wales to James and Laurie McCullough.

Colleen grew up during World War II. Before entering tertiary education, she previously earned a living as a teacher, librarian, and journalist. In her first year of medical studies at the University of Sydney she suffered de
More about Colleen McCullough...
The Thorn Birds The First Man in Rome (Masters of Rome, #1) The Grass Crown (Masters of Rome, #2) Fortune's Favorites (Masters of Rome, #3) Caesar (Masters of Rome, #5)

3 trivia questions
1 quiz
More quizzes & trivia...
“Às vezes a distância não conta, pensou, às vezes reduz-se ao silêncio breve que espaça as batidas de um coração.” 6 likes
“As separações são o que mais custa, Tim! É muito difícil aceitá-las, principalmente quando gostávamos dessa pessoa. A separação significa que depois disso nunca mais somos os mesmos, que perdemos qualquer coisa, uma parte de nós mesmo que nunca mais reencontramos nem pode ser substituída. Mas temos de passar por muitas separações, Tim, porque fazem parte da vida, tal e qual como conhecer pessoas novas.” 2 likes