Start by marking “Cuando tú llegaste (Jugadores, #1)” as Want to Read:
Cuando tú llegaste (Jugadores, #1)

Cuando tú llegaste (The Gamblers of Craven's #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  16,190 Ratings  ·  703 Reviews
Lily está decidida a impedir la boda de su indefensa hermana con lord Alex Raiford, un aristócrata frío y arrogante. Lily, indomable y resuelta, sabe cómo lidiar con los hombres en su propio terreno, y no duda en emplear cualquier arma para salirse con la suya. Pero no imagina que por una vez su rival es muy superior a ella, y mucho menos que su obstiando e inflexible cora ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 391 pages
Published January 1997 by Plaza & Janés Editores, S.A. (first published June 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Cuando tú llegaste, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cuando tú llegaste

Kristen
3 to 3 1/2 Stars

This is my first Lisa Kleypas book and there is not doubt that she is one INCREDIBLE writer. I can see why most of my Goodreads friends love and consider her one of their all-time favorite romance novelists. Unfortunately, this book didn't work for me like I had hoped. While I adored and fell head-over-heels in love with the hero, Alex, I can't say the same for the heroine, Lily. I started the book very much loving her vivacious, witty, and incorrigible behavior; however, by the
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
Lily Lawson is such a great heroine. This is one of the books I love more for the heroine than the hero, although I really loved Alex Raiford. This is Lily's story. She is not perfect and she is considered a fallen woman. But the grit, and the determination she has makes you love her for who she is. Alex cannot resist her, and falls hard for her. I thought this book was so passionate and intense. The words just jump off the page and into your heart.

Keira Knightley as Lily

Matthew Marsden as Alex

Rane

I loved this book, that after I finished reading it, I flipped to the first page and started to re-read it again.

At first glance Alex Raiford is your typical A Alpha Male, wanting it his way or the highway. But slowly your shown what has left Alex so cold and unfeeling and that he’s finally has to see that he’s been hiding behind this pain and building a wall around himself and the one person he didn’t want around him in a million years is the one who opens his eyes.

Lily is a cutting, gambli
Mo
Dec 17, 2015 Mo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this one. Strong heroine. Strong hero. Bit of a back story with her history.

Oh she hadn't expected to enjoy this so much. She had never felt such pure delight in provoking a man.

"Lily, don't be afraid. I want to please you. Trust me."

"Say yes," his fingers curled into her hair.
"Say yes, darling."

Bit pressed for time with reviews at the moment.

It was unfashionable for a husband to dote openly on his wife, but Alex didn't seem to care.

Eastofoz
Jul 23, 2008 Eastofoz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Tammy, Kathrynn, Isis, JJ; lovers of Loretta Chase's "Lord of Scoundrels"
What a page turner this turned out to be! It was nearly impossible to put down. This is right up there with Loretta Chase’s “Lord of Scoundrels” in terms of deliciously wicked banter between the h/h and the love-hate relationship is broiling hot with lots of unexpected twists and turns.

Alex is one short tempered, bossy man who cannot handle not being in control all the time. He just can’t stand the “screw you”, devil-may-care attitude of Lily Lawson and does everything he can to get one up on h
Shawna
5+ stars – Historical/Regency Romance

Although I’d previously read and loooved Kleypas’s Travis’s series, this was the first historical romance of hers that I read, and it’s no wonder that she’s such an incredibly popular romance author. The relationship between wild spitfire spinster Lily Lawson and stodgy Alex, Lord Raiford, from bitter antagonism to explosive passion that turns to cordial respect and then deep affection, is sheer magic to behold. This book inflamed my LK admiration that firs
Susana
Addictive for certain, but did it have to had so much drama?
If this had been cut to half its size, it would get a solid four star rating!
As it was, it was just too much: I am an emotional wreck by now, and it's six o'clock in the morning! o_O

The positives:
The banter between the main characters.
The fact that they pretty much hate each other guts on sight, and for quite some time (yes, I choose to place this amongst the positives, lol)

The fact that neither of them is your typical a hundred per cen
Blair
Aug 24, 2015 Blair rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is so

Erika

Overall rating: 3 stars

Cheating: (view spoiler)
Love triangle: (view spoiler)
Anything sexual with om/ow: (view spoiler)
Amount of Sex In The Book: (view spoiler)
Overall Steam Factor/Chemistry (between 1-5): (view spoiler)
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Wow. I’m sensing another Kleypas craze coming on! Have I ever said how much I love this woman!? I may have mentioned once or twice, but I absolutely adore her historicals! No one can really compare with her. Kleypas is simply the historical romance queen!

Although this book wasn’t my favourite of her works, it was still pretty damn good! At first I wasn’t too fond of Lily. She was too showy, cared too much about being the center of attention and I didn’t like that at all. Lily says she doesn’t be
Bekah
This book made me fall in love with Lisa Kleypas again. I had devoured her books years ago, and then things happend and I just stopped reading altogether, and then I picked this up...This is one of those books where once the hero has decided to stop being stubborn, he falls like a 100 pound cement block! :-) Luckily for Lisa she has this ability to write these stories that make you want to pick them back up and feel that tenderness again and again, and thus makes her books 'keepers'!

Reread: Marc
MaDoReader
Oct 27, 2015 MaDoReader rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mi segundo libro de la Kleypas y tengo que reconocer que entiendo porqué es una de las "reinas" del género.

A pesar de no ser muy de enaguas, he disfrutado mucho su lectura, quizás al final ha flojeado un poco para mi gusto, pero he estado casi todo el libro encantada con las idas y venidas de Lily y Alex.

Preparándome para empezar el segundo, Mr. Craven ya me ha cautivado en éste, así que tendremos emociones aseguradas ;)
Lady Wesley
Apr 17, 2016 Lady Wesley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened
Once again, Rosalyn Landor delivers a first-rate narration of this Lisa Kleypas classic. When reading the book several years ago, I don't think that I fully realized what an arse the hero was -- until he wasn't. This is the book where she introduced us to her cockney bad boy Derek Craven, later the delicious hero of the classic Dreaming of You.

Close to five-stars, but I had to deduct points for Lily's illogical stubbornness and the author's wretched misuse of English titles.
Lauren
Then Came You
4 Stars

Known around London for her notorious escapades, Lily Lawson is not above playing dirty when it comes to her sister’s happiness, and she is determined to stop Penny’s marriage to the cold and reserved Alex Raiford. Alex’s fury knows no bounds when Lily begins to interfere with his plans, but he cannot help the desire he feels whenever she is near and he becomes intent on possessing her, body, heart and soul.

An enjoyable love/hate romance with some interesting if harsh insight
Rachel Regina
Overall rating: 5 stars!

Triggers:
Cheating: (view spoiler)
Love triangle: (view spoiler)
Sex with om/ow: (view spoiler)
Intimacy with om/ow: (view spoiler)

HEA: (view spoiler)

My review:

Lily
Audrey
Jun 06, 2011 Audrey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
After waffling between a four and a five, I'm going for broke and slapping a fiver on this wonderful story. Lily is a magnificent heroine. She just feels so REAL in everything she says and does. She's audacious and bold and makes mistakes, but she also has very human quirks and vulnerabilities that she doesn't want to reveal to anyone (or doesn't trust to reveal) after having gone so long only relying on her own independence. When Alex comes along and is smitten almost from the start, she doesn' ...more
Nina
LOVED IT!!! If I could, I would sprinkle thousand stars on this book!

Such an amazing story... Lily and Alex's relationship was so dynamic, it sucks you in right away and you don't want to put it down until you finish.

Lily was very adorable with her funny and inappropriate acts, sometimes she was too cynical but I liked her very much.

And Alex... I don't know which gorgeous part of him I should choose to begin with... (of course I meant his character ;p) Alex stole my heart with his beautiful cha
Camila, the opinionated Catruler
I am confused about my feelings towards this book because things that I should've have loved were just okay and things that should've disturbed me didn't alter me. I couldn't possibly rate the book, not in this state of mind. However, that 4* are for Lily, for tying up Alex to a bed all night so her sister could elope and for dressing as motherfucking Eve so she could be the gambling queen that she is.
Remy Kripton
Feb 14, 2016 Remy Kripton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical-read
4 Gamblers Stars...!!!

Loved loved loved this book..!!

Read review at

Want to read Derek's story NOW...!!!!
Steelwhisper
So that was my first Kleypas.

I hope to god that the other two I unfortunately also bought sight unseen aren't as bad as this one, because this was pretty rotten reading up to when I and the book parted ways.

Most importantly, I couldn't at all connect to the prose. It was brittle, unemotional and as dry as tinder, not to speak of very, very boring.

Boring appears to be a staple for this book, because inspite of their antics I found both H and h to be utterly yawn-inducing. In fact, if the most e
Tammy Walton Grant
"Damn, damn...there it goes, the frigging thing!"

A few months ago one of my groups (Bodice Ripper Readers Anonymous) started a thread called "First line of the book you are reading", and this line was one of them. I was hooked as soon as I saw it -- I possess a well-practiced and finely honed potty mouth and it's not very often you read a historical romance where the heroine possesses one as well.

I have stayed away from Lisa Kleypas' books almost on principle. She is so prolific, and her books a
♥ Beth
Feb 04, 2010 ♥ Beth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical Romance Fans; Lisa Kleypas Fans
Shelves: favorites
Then Came You

Another awesome read from Kleypas!

I loved Alex and Lily's story! This book has it all! I loved the drama between Alex and Lily for all her crazy antics and meddling! You can't help but laugh at her actions and poor Alex never had a chance!! He was doomed from their first meeting!! The chemistry between them sizzles! As their relationship develops, they end up saving each other, in ways no one else has been able to do in the past, to reach their happily ever after.

Truly a beautiful s
Keertana
Sep 23, 2013 Keertana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
I never thought I'd say it, but there definitely IS such a thing as being too strong. Both Lily and Alex, the leads of this historical romance, are simply too stubborn and too closed off from the world to make for entertaining characters. If anything, their constant bickering grated on me and got old quickly. After all, the sexual tension is prevalent, but the dialogue goes in circles. Now, to make it clear, this isn't a bad book at all, but it's just not one for me. I'm tired of the push-and-pu ...more
Sababa
And here I thought I had read Lisa Kleypas' best romance novel!! I loved Devil in Winter and Sugar Daddy, still do, but Then Came You, is altogether a different standard of romance. It is superbly written, with a heroine I won't ever forget! Lily is absolutely all the things women in those times lacked - wit, courage, beauty and the ability to be by her own.
When I read Derek's story I was a bit disappointed in him. But Then Came You brings out the best of Derek Craven! I literally howled readin
Regina
Not quite 4 stars, but better than 3 stars so I will give it my unofficial rating of 3.5 stars.

Then Came You is a book that I started to listen to several years ago and was just not interested in Lily, the main character. She seemed selfish and attention seeking and I was just not interested. I should have kept listening and I am glad I gave this book another chance.

Then Came You is one of Kleypas's earlier written historicals. And in both books in this series, the content is darker in terms of
Carol Storm
Jan 30, 2015 Carol Storm rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite Lisa Kleypas novels -- I like the fact that she really challenges herself to create a heroine who is not the usual demure miss.

Lily Lawson is rougher, more outspoken, more sexually experienced, and more rebellious than most of the young ladies Lisa Kleypas writes about. And yet underneath the persona of "Lawless Lily" there is a wounded soul. Lisa Kleypas makes Lily both glamorous, and vulnerable. It's an amazing and compelling journey that this heroine takes!

Alec Rai
Mary
Jun 09, 2011 Mary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lisa-kleypas
This was probably one of my least favorites by Lisa Kleypas.
It may be because I had already read the second book in this series, which means the characters had already been introduced and were already together. But when I read it I just couldn't concentrate on it. I got so bored with the characters. The romance felt lacking and almost dirty sometimes. Plus seeing the main character in the second book of the series flirting and 'in love' with Lily really pissed me off.
I recommend if you do want t
Inma
Sep 04, 2015 Inma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No se que tiene esta mujer que me hipnotizan sus libros... Dos de dos
Irme a trabajar y pasar toda la jornada deseando llegar a casa para seguir leyendo.
Rashika (is tired)
This is my first historical romance.
Huh. I may have underestimated them. By a lot. Or maybe I was just really lucky when I picked this one.
Umm still. Wow.

Oh my feels.
HOLY SHIT

I didn't really expect to have much of an emotional response to this book because I didn't expect too much but there were times when I could feel my eyes stinging and wow.
Nothing else to say.

You win.
Donnie
Nov 30, 2015 Donnie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful romance from one of my favorite authors!
  • Lord of Scoundrels (Scoundrels, #3)
  • My Dearest Enemy
  • Surrender to the Devil (Scoundrels of St. James, #3)
  • Goddess of the Hunt (The Wanton Dairymaid Trilogy, #1)
  • Bound by Your Touch
  • The Duke (Knight Miscellany, #1)
  • Notorious Pleasures (Maiden Lane, #2)
  • Reckless (The House of Rohan, #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn (Fairleigh Sisters, #3)
  • Private Arrangements
  • The Viscount Who Loved Me (Bridgertons, #2)
  • Three Weddings and a Kiss
  • What I Did For a Duke (Pennyroyal Green, #5)
More about Lisa Kleypas...

The Gamblers of Craven's (2 books)
  • Dreaming of You (The Gamblers, #2)

“Sooner or later everyone was driven to love someone they could never have.” 31 likes
“I want to give you whatever elusive, impossible, goddamned mysterious thing it is you need in order to be happy. Does that frighten you? Well, it frightens the hell out of me. Don't you think I'd stop feeling this way if I could? It's not as if you're the easiest woman in the world to—" He checked himself suddenly.” 27 likes