Start by marking “Mrs. Jeffries Stalks the Hunter (Mrs. Jeffries, #19)” as Want to Read:
Mrs. Jeffries Stalks the Hunter (Mrs. Jeffries, #19)

Mrs. Jeffries Stalks the Hunter (Mrs. Jeffries #19)

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  318 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Sir Edmund Leggett is flattered to be stalked by a young lady--who makes herself scarce after he's murdered in cold blood. The police hold the young woman to blame. But Inspector Witherspoon has other ideas and consults his housekeeper, Mrs. Jeffries--who always gets to the heart of the matter.
Published October 5th 2004 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Mrs. Jeffries Stalks the Hunter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mrs. Jeffries Stalks the Hunter

Drebbles
Jun 29, 2009 Drebbles rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2004
In this mystery set in Victorian England, Inspector Gerald Witherspoon is in charge of the investigation of the murder of Sir Edmund Leggett, who was killed on his way home from his engagement party. Witherspoon has plenty of suspects, beginning with a young woman who has been stalking him. But there's plenty of other people that wanted him dead, including his fiancée who hates him (he was marrying her for her money, her parents agreed because they wanted his title), his mistress who is furious ...more
Terri
A nobleman is murdered on his way home from a party announcing his engagement to a very reluctant bride. The Inspector gets the case and Mrs. Jeffries and the rest of the staff secretly investigate as usual.

I think it is hard to sustain a series this long without extremely likable characters. And that is what this series has for me. Each of the characters contributes their unique skills and they work together as a team and it is fun and you root them along.

In this one, the mystery had some inter
Julie
Jun 23, 2015 Julie rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, british
Sir Edmund Leggett was not well-liked. He was deeply in debt, a gambler, a drunkard, and a womanizer. So it was no surprise that on the eve of his engagement announcement, he was shot while walking home. When a man who is so universally disliked is murdered, there is a long list of suspect, and in this case it appears that nobody has an alibi. As always Inspector Witherspoon's household staff is on the job, digging up clues, talking to sources, and dropping subtle hints to the inspector.

A fun r
Bradley
Apr 16, 2011 Bradley rated it liked it
For me, Mrs. Jeffries Mysteries are the literary equivilent to comfort food; familiar, safe from unpleasant surprises, enjoyable and always made from the same recipe. (Take that as you will; for some, as a series that may not be a good recipe).

Excellent bedtime reads that are short enough to complete in a week or less, they can be relied upon to provide a not-too-obvious mystery set in one of my favorite historical periods; Victorian era London.

In this 19th instalment in a series that will numb
Betty
Sep 07, 2014 Betty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-books
Standing quietly outside his home and a girl follows Sir Edmonds Leggett wherever he goes.His engagement to Beatrice Parkington was just announced. On his way home from the party he is shouted 3 times dead. Inspector Witherspoon has the case. Mrs Jeffries and friends set to work help him solved the murder. There are many suspects beside the stalker to including the girl who doesn't want to marry him and his mistress. The case takes many strange turns. The ending is a surprise.
Judy Russell
Nov 07, 2015 Judy Russell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another good Mrs. Jefferies book! All the characters we've grown to love and look forward to hearing from again were involved in solving another mystery in their quiet way while keeping their beloved employer unaware of their involvement.

I must admit I love these wholesome mysteries. My thanks and praise to Emily Brightwell! I look forward to reading the next one!!
Gramy
Jun 01, 2014 Gramy rated it really liked it
Inspector Gerald Witherspoon's housekeeper and staff work diligently to uncover clues on his murder cases. I wish I had Mrs. Jeffries, housekeeper, ability to decipher the clues and figure out wo the murderer is. Their teamwork is incredible and more people should work together for the greater good.
Dharia Scarab
Feb 07, 2015 Dharia Scarab rated it really liked it

4 sta
Lauren
Aug 20, 2014 Lauren rated it liked it
Good writer but the book almost blends in with others that are mysteries set in the same time period. I also wondered if this was a cheap knock-off of Agatha Christie's Miss Marple
Cindy
Apr 17, 2014 Cindy rated it liked it
Shelves: emily-brightwell
I sort of figured out who did this about half way through but it still did not prepare me for the ending. The power of love will always win.
Janell
Oct 16, 2014 Janell rated it liked it
Although simply written, this was an interesting mystery. The inspector himself is really a little too clueless for me but the other characters can be fun. As in other books of this series, my biggest complaint is probably that most of the plot unfolds in the inspector's kitchen while the characters explain to each other what they've discovered. Only occasionally does the reader go along with one of the characters and these lengthy kitchen discussions can get a little boring. Still an enjoyable ...more
Pat
Jun 25, 2016 Pat rated it really liked it
Love these mysteries, but glad Inspector Witherspoon is showing signs of more insight into the murders.
Amanda
Apr 14, 2015 Amanda rated it really liked it
Another fun romp with Mrs. Jeffries and company! I'm really enjoying this series and the Victorian era details. Now to see what others I can find at my library.
Duckpondwithoutducks
Even though all of mysteries in this series follow the same plot line - Inspector Witherspoon's staff feel restless because he hasn't had a murder case in a while for them to help him unobtrusively with, they are happy to get the case, they ferret around for clues, Mrs. Jeffries comes up with the solution and then has to figure out a way for the Inspector to figure it out - but I still always enjoy them and want to read more!
Cheryl
Dec 16, 2013 Cheryl rated it really liked it
Nothing like Mrs. Jeffries and associates to while away a sleepy Sunday afternoon. As always, a decent mystery with a likable cast. I had a little more difficult time figuring out the "whys" that led to the solution, although I did get the hint that the individual would turn out to be the killer.
Babs
Feb 01, 2010 Babs rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who likes detective stories
I loved this book just as much as the last one. Mrs Jeffries is at it again with her crew. Sir Edmund was a cad who got shot and in this one I did not put two and two together till the last chapter. Very well done. I look forward to the next book.
Maureen Keimig
Dec 12, 2013 Maureen Keimig rated it really liked it
I always enjoy the Mrs. Jeffries series and this was a good read but there was one incident in the book concerning a supposed drugged bottle of whiskey which the author didn't let the reader know who was responsible.
Jan
Mar 08, 2010 Jan rated it liked it
Mrs. Jeffries halps Inspector Witherspoon solve the mystery of who was stalking Sir Edmund Leggett, high society cad.

Good light read
Serena
Apr 01, 2016 Serena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
My Rating System:
Kim
Apr 30, 2012 Kim rated it really liked it
Typical of the series: light mystery, humorous, likeable characters. Betsy and Smythe are engaged.
Patti
Sep 05, 2013 Patti rated it really liked it
It's always nice to read about Mrs. Jeffries and the staff helping the inspector solve a murder.
Alida
Dec 18, 2013 Alida rated it liked it
Fun little book if you like mysteries and a cast of lovely characters. 3 1/2 stars
Erin72
Apr 28, 2012 Erin72 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
a harder plot to follow than others
Deanna
Deanna rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2016
Frankie Puddleduck
Frankie Puddleduck is currently reading it
Jun 28, 2016
Chriss
Chriss marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Bettye Mathews
Bettye Mathews rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2016
Kathleen
Kathleen marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Maya McMullan
Maya McMullan marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
  • Fire When Ready (Manor House Mystery, #7)
  • Rules of Engagement (Sir John Fielding, #11)
  • The Innocence and Wisdom of Father Brown
  • Consequences of Sin
  • Death at Rottingdean (Kathryn Ardleigh, #5)
  • The Dead Witness: A Connoisseur's Collection of Victorian Detective Stories
  • For Whom the Funeral Bell Tolls (A Delilah Dickinson Literary Tour Mystery, #4)
  • Murder Can Singe Your Old Flame (Desiree Shapiro Mystery, #6)
  • Yankee Doodle Dead (Death on Demand, #10)
  • Murder Shoots the Bull (Southern Sisters Mystery, #6)
  • The Dead Hand of History (Monika Paniatowski, #1)
  • The Murder at the Murder at the Mimosa Inn (Claire Malloy, #2)
  • The Affair of the Blood-Stained Egg Cosy (Burford Family, #1)
  • Murder Makes a Pilgrimage (Sister Mary Helen, #5)
  • The Blackheath Poisonings: A Victorian Murder Mystery
  • Sing It To Her Bones (Hannah Ives Mystery #1)
  • Birthday Party Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #9)
Cheryl Lanham was born on 11 October 1948 in the Appalachian mountains of West Virginia, USA. Her family moved to Southern California in 1959 and she grew up in Pasadena. After graduating from California State University, she decided to work her way around the world and took off for England. She didn’t get much further because she met Richard James Arguile, the Englishman who became her husband, g ...more
More about Emily Brightwell...

Mrs. Jeffries (1 - 10 of 34 books)
  • The Inspector and Mrs. Jeffries (Mrs. Jeffries, #1)
  • Mrs. Jeffries Dusts for Clues (Mrs. Jeffries, #2)
  • The Ghost and Mrs. Jeffries (Mrs. Jeffries, #3)
  • Mrs. Jeffries Takes Stock (Mrs. Jeffries, #4)
  • Mrs. Jeffries on the Ball (Mrs. Jeffries, #5)
  • Mrs. Jeffries on the Trail (Mrs. Jeffries, #6)
  • Mrs. Jeffries Plays the Cook (Mrs. Jeffries, #7)
  • Mrs. Jeffries and the Missing Alibi (Mrs. Jeffries, #8)
  • Mrs. Jeffries Stands Corrected (Mrs. Jeffries, #9)
  • Mrs. Jeffries Takes the Stage (Mrs. Jeffries, #10)