Start by marking “Mrs. Pargeter's Pound of Flesh (Mrs Pargeter, #4)” as Want to Read:
Mrs. Pargeter's Pound of Flesh (Mrs Pargeter, #4)

Mrs. Pargeter's Pound of Flesh (Mrs Pargeter #4)

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  242 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Mrs. Pargeter doesn't much like diets. She never felt any need to change her own pleasingly ample figure, but she's happy enough to accompany her slimming-obsessed friend Kim Thurrock for a few days' stay at the exclusive Brotherton Hall health spa. There's one condition, however.

Mrs. Pargeter must receive a special "allergy treatment" featuring the choice delicacies of a
Published August 1st 1994 by Penguin (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Mrs. Pargeter's Pound of Flesh, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mrs. Pargeter's Pound of Flesh

Murder With Peacocks by Donna AndrewsThe No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall SmithThe Alienist by Caleb CarrThe Black Echo by Michael ConnellyFor the Sake of Elena by Elizabeth  George
Best Mysteries from the 1990s
142nd out of 186 books — 31 voters
Doomsday Book by Connie WillisThe English Patient by Michael OndaatjeThe Secret History by Donna TarttThe Pelican Brief by John GrishamSmall Gods by Terry Pratchett
Best Books of 1992
107th out of 196 books — 84 voters

More lists with this book...

Carol Neman
Oct 15, 2010 Carol Neman rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Carol by: found it just browsing the stacks
The Pargeter series by Simon Brett has thoroughly entertained me. It's too bad there is only five in the series, whereas his other series has many more. Sorry, Simon, I don't like the other one as much as I like Mrs. Pargeter.

The devotion with which Mrs. Pargeter takes care of her dead husband's old 'friends', and with which he has taken care of her (in the form of an old address book which she uses to contact people who can supply services she needs) is touching. It reminded me of the crooks-wi
Margaret
Aug 13, 2011 Margaret added it
Shelves: 2005
It took me several chapters to warm up to Mrs. Parteger. It bothered me that an intelligent woman like Mrs. Parteger chose to be an ostrich with her head in the sand regarding her late husband's business which involved associates with names like Stan the Stapler, Jack the Knife & Ankle-Deep Arkwright. I also had some doubts about the book when I got to Chapter 2 which was entirely devoted to Mrs. Parteger's reasons for not liking cottage cheese ("Probably more than any of these what put Mrs ...more
Minervaking
This was a mystery that made fun of health spas and dieting fads. The main character is Mrs. Pargeter, a middle-aged woman who is overweight, but is comfortable with herself. She accompanies her younger neighbor to a health spa and discovers a murder as well as a mystery involving some old business associates of her husband's. It is a light and enjoyable read. I look forward to reading about Mrs. Pargeter in another adventure.
Cindy
This was few books into a series and the references to other books left me feeling out of the loop. I also felt I didn't know Mrs. Pargeter very well. I will start with book one and see where that takes me.
Kate
"When pleasingly plump Mrs. Pargeter accompanies her fitness-obsessed friend to exclusive Brotherton Hall Spa, her regime is a feast of rich foods and hours of relaxation. But when she discovers a woman's dead body being wheeled from the mudbaths, Mrs. Pargeter is off on a less-than-relaxing investigation that pits her against her late husband's 'business associates' -- some of whom could be guilty of murder."
~~back cover

A bit more far-fetched, a bit more convoluted than the previous books in th
annie
this book is hysterical. if anyone wants to read something that will make a rainy afternoon fly by, particularly if you think the term 'jog bra' is entertaining and are wary of mud baths, this is the one. my goodness.
Joyce
Borrowed from library. Adult mystery.
Clean, pleasant reading, murder mystery.
Kim
Light mystery, entertaining read.
Katharine Holden
Formulaic, predictable, and dull.
NC
Sep 14, 2013 NC rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: mystery
fun light mystery fun series.
Rachel
My favorite so far.
Marie Prentice
Marie Prentice is currently reading it
Jan 22, 2015
Lesley Ward
Lesley Ward marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Donna Schmitt
Donna Schmitt marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Debbie Gregg
Debbie Gregg marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Barb Hanson
Barb Hanson marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Sherrie
Sherrie marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Brandy
Brandy marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
  • Agatha Raisin and the Day the Floods Came (Agatha Raisin, #12)
  • Manna from Hades (Cornish Mystery, #1)
  • Murder Gets A Life (Southern Sisters Mystery, #5)
  • Frequent Hearses (Gervase Fen, #7)
  • Married to the Mop (Charlotte LaRue Mystery, #5)
  • Mrs. Jeffries and the Best Laid Plans
Simon Brett is a prolific British writer of whodunnits.

He is the son of a Chartered Surveyor and was educated at Dulwich College and Wadham College, Oxford, where he got a first class honours degree in English.

He then joined the BBC as a trainee and worked for BBC Radio and London Weekend Television, where his work included 'Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy' and 'Frank Muir Goes Into ...'.

Afte
More about Simon Brett...

Mrs Pargeter (6 books)
  • A Nice Class of Corpse (Mrs. Pargeter, #1)
  • Mrs, Presumed Dead (Mrs Pargeter, #2)
  • Mrs. Pargeter's Package (Mrs. Pargeter, #3)
  • Mrs. Pargeter's Plot (Mrs Pargeter, #5)
  • Mrs. Pargeter's Point of Honour (Mrs. Pargeter, #6)
The Body on the Beach (Fethering, #1) Death on the Downs (Fethering, #2) The Torso in the Town (Fethering, #3) Murder in the Museum (Fethering, #4) The Stabbing in the Stables (Fethering, #7)