Start by marking “Eat It to Beat It: The No-Diet Food Lover's Plan to Put You Back on the Road to Health” as Want to Read:

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  134 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Eat the World’s Most Delicious Foods—and Start Dropping Pounds Today!

Discover thousands of shocking food truths to help flatten your belly fast—and get you on the path to better health!

ABC News nutrition and wellness editor Dave Zinczenko, author of the multimillion-copy bestselling Eat This, Not That! series, blows the lid off the bizarre, unnecessary, and shocking ingr
Published December 31st 2013 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Eat It to Beat It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eat It to Beat It

Pam

I was very pleased to receive this through First Reads. I love the entire series, but this particular title is most appropriate as an aging woman trying to make wise choices and to manage the health concerns of aging through the best foods and supplements. This is a classic reference...one we should all keep on hand. There are also some important food reveals that will change the way you eat forever.
Patrice Sartor
DISCLAIMER: I received this book for free from a Goodreads First Reads giveaway.

3.5 stars. This is the first book by Zinczenko that I've read, though I've certainly looked through some of the Eat This!, Not That! titles.

Eat It to Beat It features the same engaging style: a smaller book, with tons of color photos along with a visually appealing format. Throughout the book you'll also find icons representing "guideposts" such as "Lose Weight", "Lower Blood Pressure", or "Boost Immunity." These rem
Kelly
See this review on 1776books.net...

What I love most about David Zinczenko is that he never minces words; he has no qualms about saying that most of the food we put in our bodies is filled with stuff we should back far, far away from. He has no problem calling out specific food and restaurant companies for adding "anal scent glands of beavers" to our food, and some of the things he writes will probably make you lose your lunch. However, I'm the type of pers
Shannon
I'm a big fan of Zinczenko's Eat This Not That series. I try so hard to make wise choices in the grocery store or out to eat, but sometimes it seems the cards are stacked against me. He breaks it all down and gives very straight-forward recommendations to help you make wise choices when it comes to your health.

This book focuses on certain items in stores or restaurants that you "think" are good for you, they are marketed as such, but they actually are doing you a disservice. I really appreciated
Kim
Not really a cookbook, but there are recipes in there. Some of the things I learned were surprising (and gross...most shredded cheese contains wood pulp? Really?) but some were pretty obvious. I only found one or two things on the "beat it!" list that Tim and I eat at all, so that's good. Also, I learned that there are 20 entrees at Cheesecake factory that have more at least 1800 calories (one whole day's worth, for a woman), and nine of those have more than 1800--some over 2000. Wow! Olive Gard ...more
Alain Burrese
“Eat It To Beat It” by David Zinczenko grabs your attention at the very beginning when he writes about our food containing plastic foam, human hair, duck feathers, desiccated abdomens of beetles, silicon dioxide, wood shavings and extract from the anal scent glands of beavers. Sort of makes you hungry, doesn’t it? If you are familiar with Zinczenko’s “Eat This Not That” books, this book will look familiar. It is similar, but different.

The book is divided into categories, and under each category
Diane
Update May 2014: smh, I am ashamed to say I have not done well. I have been eating more greens and fruits but have not cut out enough of the bad stuff :( Still intent on doing better. A work in progress. Making plans for another course of action. We'll see how the summer goes!

Feb 2014: I found a lot of things that are relevant to me in this book. I was going to finish and send it to a friend but I have decided that I need it around to reference so I'm going to send her a copy of her own :) It's
C

I love the "Eat This, Not That" books, but there's that "too much of a good thing"...thing. You really only need to look at one book to see that restaurant food is deceptively calorie dense, and the grocery store version to shop smarter. I appreciate that they will help people reach their goals, but I almost feel like this would be better as a Consumer Reports style magazine on food vs. an endless series of books.
Kent District Library
“Newest book by the same author of the ‘Eat this Not That’ series. This book offers a more in depth look into the additives and chemicals that are going into our food as well as offering better for you options at restaurants and grocery stores. A great read for those who want to eat healthier and make better choices when it comes to their food!”
—Emmy at KDL’s Kentwood (Richard L. Root) Branch
Barbara Pearlman
Excellent book on what they are doing to processed foods. The author offers substitutes. This is a great reference. I got this as a library book and will be buying copy for myself. This is also a great book for kids working on a science project. It teaches you how to read food lables.
Linda
I enjoyed skimming g through it but 11 year old Lizzie loved it. She read it from cover to cover. I think she learned a great deal about what's hidden in our food----she's still reeling from wood pulp being in shredded cheese & the possibility of ground feathers being in her frozen pizza dough. We're all looking closer @ labels, trying to select those with understandable ingredients. An enjoyable book.
carissa
ABC News Nutrition and Wellness editor Dave Zinczenko, author of the multimillion-copy bestselling Eat This, Not That! series, blows the lid off the bizarre, unnecessary, and shocking ingredients in many common brands, and shows you how making smart choices about the foods you love -- including burgers, pizza, and chocolate -- can help you lose weight, drop blood pressure, boost your immune system, and more.
Tmiguel
I won this book from goodreads and was looking forward to going through it. I thought that the book did a good job of explaining the right food choices and the what you should be on the lookout for (sodium content, sugar, etc.). It gives the dieter the best choices when eating out and explains in detail the reasoning. I guess I didn't think it was an exceptional book because 1) I don't eat out often enough 2) I wouldn't go to most of the restaurants he has in the book and 3) I wouldn't choose mo ...more
Robert Brents
Absolutely great! The author also wrote the "Eat This, Not That!" series. Pick a food type - home or restaurant - look it up, and be prepared to be shocked at how bad so much of what passes for "food" is on most of our menus. I've read all the way through this book (dog ear-ing many pages), but I'm hardly "finished" with it - I'll come back to it again and again when I need to make a good decision about what to eat.
Robin
Over the years I've taken a look at other books by Zinczenko and have seen him numerous times on Today. This is his best book with the most information I can use on a regular basis in it. This book also has a nice selection of recipes. Reading through this book inspired me to pay closer attention to food labels. Lately I've been a bit lax about that so I need to improve.
Alesia Nicole
a lot of great info to get back on track and stay on track but still get to eat some yummies
Joy
I was excited to hear that I won this book through First-reads Goodreads giveaway. I always enjoyed watching Zinczenko on the Today show. It is very entertaining and you learn a lot about how unhealthy food can be. It makes you try to be wise about your food chooses. I only wish there was a bigger section on recipes to combat the different systemic diseases. Can't wait to try the recipes from this book!
Jeanne
Always informative, helps to know the facts to make good decisions.
Kathy
Aug 23, 2015 Kathy added it
i'm changing the food i buy.
Andd Becker
This excellent guide helps the reader to avoid high-calorie foods, salty foods, sugary foods, and fatty foods.
Shannon Wilson
You can not unread this book! If you really do not want to know what you are really eating, then walk away! I feel, this is a must read with life altering effects!
Pamela
It was an interesting read. Here in Anchorage, Alaska, we don't have most of the chain restaurants he profiles. Cheesecake Factory has sooo many of the worst foods ever -- I am GLAD there is not one here in our state. Anyhow, the book is cute. It kept my interest and was enjoyable. The author explains things well in an understandable manner even if I couldn't pronounce the evil ingredients we don't want to ingest. It was well done, but not really applicable to my life.
Sandy
I didn't find this book very useful. Although it tells you some of what the author says are the worst meals, the list of good choices is very limited and doesn't always include brands that are available in my area.
Niki Driscoll
I thought it was a good and infromative read. It was well thought out and was easy to navigate. the only disapointing thing is that all the things I like to eat are on te "BEAT IT" not "EAT IT " side. Oh well.
Matt
The book is very informative and made me rethink some of my eating choices. I can't quit the "bad stuff" cold turkey, but this helped me find some healthier alternatives. I now pay attention to products' ingredient lists more than ever before. The back of the book contains a summary of foods to avoid but doesn't have a similar summary of better foods, which was a big disappointment for me.
Tina
Overall, I was rather disappointed with this book. I found it to be basically a reformatted "Eat This, Not That", with a few additional facts thrown in here and there about nutrition and health.

For someone who has not read and of the "Eat This, Not That" books this is a good introduction to the concept of making healthier food choices, but I probably would not recommend it otherwise
Kara

By breaking down just, what exactly, is in some foods – and the other uses some “food” chemicals are used for (like cleaning cars) this book has sent me running far, far away from even thinking going near some fast food again.
Barbara
Wow. What an eye-opener! I thought I was pretty good at reading labels, but I'm not nearly good enough. And it seems pretty easy to recognize a healthy restaurant meal, right? How wrong I was. Everyone should read this, not just for weight loss, but for better health.
Penny
Book has a lot of "brand" suggestions to help you eat cleaner. We should know what bad things are in our foods. This book helps you understand how labels are "manipulated" and what really is healthy. Good read. Very helpful for anyone wanting to take control of their health.
Kathleen
So far, this is super depressing. Because everything seems to be made of yoga mats, wood chips, beaver anuses, and human hair.
  • Eat, Taste, Heal: An Ayurvedic Cookbook for Modern Living
  • The Clean Eating Cookbook & Diet: Over 100 Healthy Whole Food Recipes & Meal Plans
  • A Primer of Drug Action
  • Sweet Deception: Why Splenda, Nutrasweet, and the FDA May Be Hazardous to Your Health
  • Year-Round Slow Cooker: 100 Favorite Recipes for Every Season
  • Food & Mood: The Complete Guide to Eating Well and Feeling Your Best
  • The Complete Low-FODMAP Diet: A Revolutionary Plan for Managing IBS and Other Digestive Disorders
  • The Healing Intelligence of Essential Oils: The Science of Advanced Aromatherapy
  • Tea: History, Terroirs, Varieties
  • Top Chef: The Quickfire Cookbook
  • Juicing, Fasting, and Detoxing for Life: Unleash the Healing Power of Fresh Juices and Cleansing Diets
  • The Irish Pub Cookbook
  • What's a Disorganized Person to Do?
  • The 17 Day Diet Cookbook: 80 All New Recipes for Healthy Weight Loss
  • Every Woman's Guide to Foot Pain Relief: The New Science of Healthy Feet
  • The Disease Delusion: Conquering the Causes of Chronic Illness for a Healthier, Longer, and Happier Life
  • The Quick & Clean Diet: Lose the Weight, Feel Great, and Stay Lean for Life
  • The Self-Healing Cookbook:  Whole Foods To Balance Body, Mind and Moods
Eat This, Not That!: The No-Diet Weight Loss Solution Eat This, Not That! Supermarket Survival Guide Cook This, Not That!: Kitchen Survival Guide The Abs Diet: The Six-Week Plan to Flatten Your Stomach and Keep You Lean for Life Eat This Not That! for Kids!: Be the Leanest, Fittest Family on the Block!