Eat It to Beat It: The No-Diet Food Lover's Plan to Put You Back on the Road to Health

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Eat the World’s Most Delicious Foods—and Start Dropping Pounds Today!

Discover thousands of shocking food truths to help flatten your belly fast—and get you on the path to better health!

ABC News nutrition and wellness editor Dave Zinczenko, author of the multimillion-copy bestselling Eat This, Not That! series, blows the lid off the bizarre, unnecessary, and shocking ingr...more
Published December 31st 2013 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 2013)

Pam

I was very pleased to receive this through First Reads. I love the entire series, but this particular title is most appropriate as an aging woman trying to make wise choices and to manage the health concerns of aging through the best foods and supplements. This is a classic reference...one we should all keep on hand. There are also some important food reveals that will change the way you eat forever.
Patrice Sartor
DISCLAIMER: I received this book for free from a Goodreads First Reads giveaway.

3.5 stars. This is the first book by Zinczenko that I've read, though I've certainly looked through some of the Eat This!, Not That! titles.

Eat It to Beat It features the same engaging style: a smaller book, with tons of color photos along with a visually appealing format. Throughout the book you'll also find icons representing "guideposts" such as "Lose Weight", "Lower Blood Pressure", or "Boost Immunity." These rem...more
Kelly
See this review on 1776books.net...

What I love most about David Zinczenko is that he never minces words; he has no qualms about saying that most of the food we put in our bodies is filled with stuff we should back far, far away from. He has no problem calling out specific food and restaurant companies for adding "anal scent glands of beavers" to our food, and some of the things he writes will probably make you lose your lunch. However, I'm the type of pers...more
Shannon
I'm a big fan of Zinczenko's Eat This Not That series. I try so hard to make wise choices in the grocery store or out to eat, but sometimes it seems the cards are stacked against me. He breaks it all down and gives very straight-forward recommendations to help you make wise choices when it comes to your health.

This book focuses on certain items in stores or restaurants that you "think" are good for you, they are marketed as such, but they actually are doing you a disservice. I really appreciated...more
Diane
I found a lot of things that are relevant to me in this book. I was going to finish and send it to a friend but I have decided that I need it around to reference so I'm going to send her a copy of her own :) It's not perfect for everyone and some things don't apply, either to me or the area I'm in, but there is so much information that will be helpful to me as I try to make better choices for myself. I will come back in a few months and update this to see if it actually helps me (adding to calen...more
carissa
ABC News Nutrition and Wellness editor Dave Zinczenko, author of the multimillion-copy bestselling Eat This, Not That! series, blows the lid off the bizarre, unnecessary, and shocking ingredients in many common brands, and shows you how making smart choices about the foods you love -- including burgers, pizza, and chocolate -- can help you lose weight, drop blood pressure, boost your immune system, and more.
Robert Brents
Absolutely great! The author also wrote the "Eat This, Not That!" series. Pick a food type - home or restaurant - look it up, and be prepared to be shocked at how bad so much of what passes for "food" is on most of our menus. I've read all the way through this book (dog ear-ing many pages), but I'm hardly "finished" with it - I'll come back to it again and again when I need to make a good decision about what to eat.
Kathleen
Feb 23, 2014 Kathleen is currently reading it
Shelves: my-self-help
So far, this is super depressing. Because everything seems to be made of yoga mats, wood chips, beaver anuses, and human hair.
Robin
Over the years I've taken a look at other books by Zinczenko and have seen him numerous times on Today. This is his best book with the most information I can use on a regular basis in it. This book also has a nice selection of recipes. Reading through this book inspired me to pay closer attention to food labels. Lately I've been a bit lax about that so I need to improve.
Joy
I was excited to hear that I won this book through First-reads Goodreads giveaway. I always enjoyed watching Zinczenko on the Today show. It is very entertaining and you learn a lot about how unhealthy food can be. It makes you try to be wise about your food chooses. I only wish there was a bigger section on recipes to combat the different systemic diseases. Can't wait to try the recipes from this book!
Tina
Overall, I was rather disappointed with this book. I found it to be basically a reformatted "Eat This, Not That", with a few additional facts thrown in here and there about nutrition and health.

For someone who has not read and of the "Eat This, Not That" books this is a good introduction to the concept of making healthier food choices, but I probably would not recommend it otherwise
Jeanne
Always informative, helps to know the facts to make good decisions.
Andd Becker
This excellent guide helps the reader to avoid high-calorie foods, salty foods, sugary foods, and fatty foods.
Shannon Wilson
You can not unread this book! If you really do not want to know what you are really eating, then walk away! I feel, this is a must read with life altering effects!
Sandy
I didn't find this book very useful. Although it tells you some of what the author says are the worst meals, the list of good choices is very limited and doesn't always include brands that are available in my area.
Niki Driscoll
I thought it was a good and infromative read. It was well thought out and was easy to navigate. the only disapointing thing is that all the things I like to eat are on te "BEAT IT" not "EAT IT " side. Oh well.
Kara

By breaking down just, what exactly, is in some foods – and the other uses some “food” chemicals are used for (like cleaning cars) this book has sent me running far, far away from even thinking going near some fast food again.
Mary
Oct 21, 2013 Mary marked it as to-read
GMA
Annie
Annie is currently reading it
Apr 09, 2014
Susie
Susie marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
Chelsea
Chelsea marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
Kwaku Ofori
Kwaku Ofori marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2014
Amy K.
Amy K. marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2014
Katherine A Wintle
Katherine A Wintle marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2014
  • 21-Day Tummy: The Revolutionary Food Plan that Shrinks and Soothes Any Belly Fast
  • Happy Herbivore Light & Lean: Over 150 Low-Calorie Recipes with Workout Plans for Looking and Feeling Great
  • The Sugar Smart Diet
  • 'wichcraft: Craft a Sandwich into a Meal--And a Meal into a Sandwich
  • Sweepstakes MILLIONAIRE! - How to win a Life of Luxury through Sweepstakes
  • The Doctor's Diet: Dr. Travis Stork's STAT Program to Help You Lose Weight & Restore Your Health
  • Foods That Harm, Foods That Heal
  • Mario Batali Simple Italian Food: Recipes from My Two Villages
  • The New Lean for Life: Outsmart Your Body to Shrink Fat Cells and Lose Weight for Good
  • Eat the Cookie...Buy the Shoes: Giving Yourself Permission to Lighten Up
  • Find Your Sweet Spot: A Guide to Personal and Professional Excellence
  • Vegan for the Holidays
  • Sell It Online: How to Make Money Selling on eBay, Amazon, Fiverr & Etsy
  • The Real Food Reset: 30 days to lose weight, kick cravings & feel great!: Get in touch with your primal instincts, detox your body, and cleanse yourself of cravings, all with real food!
  • Cash Cow Casa: 51 Ways to Make Your House Pay You
  • Don't Diet: Reprogram Your Weight with Meridian Tapping
  • Moving Christmas
  • The 28 Days Lighter Diet: Your Monthly Plan to Lose Weight, End PMS, and Achieve Physical and Emotional Wellness
Eat This, Not That!: The No-Diet Weight Loss Solution Eat This, Not That! Supermarket Survival Guide Cook This, Not That!: Kitchen Survival Guide Eat This Not That! for Kids!: Be the Leanest, Fittest Family on the Block! The Abs Diet: The Six-Week Plan to Flatten Your Stomach and Keep You Lean for Life