Start by marking “Ivory (Birthright #14)” as Want to Read:
Ivory (Birthright #14)

Ivory (Birthright #14)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  314 ratings  ·  29 reviews
In the year 6303, when earth is bare of anything larger than an insect or a mouse and most people have left for the stars, Duncan Rojas receives a most unusual visitor. His name is Bukoba Mandaka, and he is the last of the Maasai.

Mandaka wants Rojas, senior researcher for Braxton's Records of Big Game, to find the tusks of the Kilimanjaro Elephant, tusks that weigh over 20
Published August 8th 2007 by Pyr (first published September 1988)

The Postman by David BrinThe Mote in God's Eye by Larry NivenThe Peace War by Vernor VingeEon by Greg BearTitan by John Varley
Future Book Club Selections?
6th out of 70 books — 6 voters
Snow Crash by Neal StephensonThe Martian Chronicles by Ray BradburyConsider Phlebas by Iain M. BanksPandora's Star by Peter F. HamiltonFahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
Sword and Laser Sci-Fi list
387th out of 529 books — 1,142 voters

More lists with this book...

Brisk, effortless story-telling that engages you with its pleasing SF wrapper and then gradually fills up your core with its powerful central message of loss, pain, folly and hope. Resnick is one of my favorite story-tellers, especially when he touches on the exploration/exploitation of the continent of Africa, for which his passion is evident on every page. This book is one of his ABSOLUTE BEST.

I’ve previously touched on Resnick’s Africa esteem in my reviews of Paradise Review and Kirinyaga Re
Dec 30, 2014 Mark rated it 4 of 5 stars
Just come across this great book on my bookcases. Read it years ago dont want to mention how many. Lols.

Very enjoyable. Worth reading.
What an epic story, and so powerful. I don't think that anyone with a soul could NOT be moved by this tale. A researcher on a distant planet is tasked with the challenge of locating a pair of enormous elephant tusks from an animal that died thousands of years prior on Earth, and the man wishing to obtain the tusks is quite an enigma, with a very profound reason for wanting the tusks. Mike Resnick spins the yarn in his usual style, which is incredibly easy to read and confirms again that he is on ...more
One of the most engaging books that I have read, 'Ivory' is, at its heart, an anthology. You see, 'Ivory' is the story of the search for the tusks of the Kilimanjaro Elephant. Sounds mundane-Until you read that it is the year 6303, that no animal larger than a mouse exists on Earth anymore, and that the client looking for the tusks is the last of the Maasai (a nomadic people from Kenya and Tanzania). The investigator, Duncan Rojas, is hired by Buboka (said Maasai) to hunt the tusks down, and in ...more
Bryan Schmidt
What I love about Mike Resnick, among other things, is his non-pretentious prose style. He doesn't write like he has a dictionary out to look up the fanciest words for saying everything in an attempt to impress you. Instead, he just finds the right words to tell the story. So you don't need to read his books with a dictionary next to you either, and his books work for readers of all ages.

This book, one of several inspired by his love of and travels through Africa, is the story of Duncan Rojas an
Jared Millet
Resnick's back in African territory again, this time to tell the story of the next 7,000 years of human history through the point of view of a researcher trying to locate the tusks of the giant Kilimanjaro Elephant on behalf of the last Maasai. This book is classic Resnick at his most engrossing.
In the far future, the last Maasai hires the best researcher, the cold Rojas, to find the tusks of the Kilimanjaro Elephant. Rojas’s search takes him from the nineteenth century on Earth to the rest of the galaxy. As he searches, he uncovers past tragedies, treachery, and always, another clue to the tusks. At last, Rojas and Mandaka reach the end of their quest. It’s well written, but I never felt a pull to read it. It is not an engrossing work.
Très beau récit de science-fiction. Mike Resnick, fasciné par l'Afrique a écrit plusieurs romans de SF autour de la culture africaine. Ivoire se penche sur le peuple Massaï et son devenir dans une galaxie où l'Homme a largement colonisé les planètes.

La Terre, quasiment désertée n'abrite plus aucune forme de vie animale (exception faite d'une cinquantaine de millions d'Hommes), toutes les espèces ayant été chassé jusqu'à l'extinction.

Le roman va donc se focaliser sur les recherches d'un homme, em
Alice Lee
I really wanted to love this book, but in the end the most I can say about Ivory is that it was okay.

The premise is, basically, in the far distant future when men have colonized the planets, the last Maasai hires a researcher to track down a pair of tusks for him, and you as the reader follows the researcher's journey and mounting curiosity as he delves deeper and deeper into the tusks' history, unveiling one story after another spanning several thousand years. The burning questions, besides "wh
D.L. Morrese
Ivory is a Science Fiction tale spanning millennia with some fantasy trappings. The science fiction parts include extraterrestrial aliens and human colonies spanning the galaxy. The fantasy aspect includes a long dead prophetic shaman, vague mystical abilities, and the ghost of an immense elephant.
Duncan Rojas, an almost totally emotionless and asocial researcher whose day job is to authenticate hunting trophies, is hired by Bukoba Mandaka, the last member of the Maasai tribe to locate a pair of
This is one of those books I picked up while simply browsing through the Sci-Fi section. I read the description on the back and became quite curious. The book was a bit slow at first and worried me a bit because it was introducing so many strange characters, but this was simply setting the stage for a very interesting romp through time and space in a possible future history. This book follows the main character, Duncan Rojas as he tries to track down the location of the tusks of the Kilimanjaro ...more
Ivory is one of Resnick's best novels, showcasing and combining his passion for Africa and science fiction. It's very similar to some of Jack McDevitt's novels with archaeological themes telling a story of research and mystery. It's a very thought-provoking and entertaining book, the kind of thing I recommend to people who say that they don't like to read science fiction; this one usually proves them wrong.
Kevin Farrell
Well folks, I just discovered Mike Resnick. This is a great SF book. The time frame is 7 millenniums in the future. Earth has been abandoned. Humans have spread through the galaxy and mingled with many other lifeforms (aliens). This is a great story about a museum curator who is hired by a mysterious man to help him find a pair of elephant tusks that were last seen 3,000 years ago. Whatever I can say about this story will not do it justice. It might be best to describe this as SF with historical ...more
This was a completely fascinating book. The future was vividly imagined and the short trips into the past were amazingly packed with detail. I particularly loved the Maasai cultural elements.
Jennifer Osterman
I really liked the nested story format of this book, but I was disappointed to have determined the ending long before I reached it.
Norman Howe
Really an interesting collection of stories"," though none have been published elsewhere.
Eva Mitnick
Thousands of years in the future, the last Maasai has paid a researcher to find the tusks of the Kilimanjaro Elephant, killed in the last years of the 19th century. The tusks have changed hands many times over the milleniums, and thus this story jumps back and forth and all throughout the galaxy as Rojas, our dogged researcher, tracks them down. Most of the characters are colorful and intriguing - Resnick's opinion is that humankind will stay stubbornly the same even as our technology changes an ...more
Mike Resnick is one of the few American writers who really knows how to write about Africa. His “Kirinyaga” stories earned Resnick his first Hugo award in 1989, and while it might be a mistake to say that anyone truly understands a place he isn’t native to, he writes about it as if he grasps some of the subtleties of the hugely diverse and multifaceted continent. IVORY, which was first published in 1988, demonstrates this, along with a Resnick’s flair for solid speculation.

More: http://www.bookg
Bob Stuhlsatz
This was an enjoyable read. I liked the sleuthing through the centuries.
Ever wondered: Why am I enjoying this book so much?

This was one of those for me. It's about a set of tusks, from the reputed largest elephant ever. It's set, I can't even recall, maybe 10,000 years in the future? It's almost an anthology, with a guy who works for a hunting record book as the host. Most of the stories are told in flashback by a research computer to the hunting records guy.

The description doesn't do it justice. I'd recommend this book. You have to try it to understand it.
An odd, moving little book that is not about what you think it's about. One of the truest books I've ever read about inevitability of not only colonialism, but the future of the human race. Melancholy and complex that goes by in a flash.
I.E. Lester
This is quite simply Resnick's best book, no doubt whatsoever in my mind.

The story features the last remaining member of an African tribe in the far distant future hiring a historian to trace a pair of elephant tusks so he can honour his ancestors.

Wonderful thoughtful science fiction. Totally brilliant
Always enjoyable reading with Mike, interesting and thought provoking story lines. Ivory definitely is an interesting read. If you love Africa, wild animals, are concerned about global warming than you will find this book of interest.
A truly amazing story spanning over 7000 years. Mike Resnick's easy writing style and conversational tone make this complex and compelling story of searching and belief approachable for anyone. A definite must read.
Readable, but of strictly limited relevance. Even the two main characters have an un-bridgable gulf of experience, and the underlying premise is inadequate for supporting a book's weight.
I really enjoyed this book. The ending surprised me. I thought it was going to be a sci-fi adventure(because Thomas checked it out at the library, not me!), but it wasn't.
Doris Cook
This is a really nice combination of fact, science fiction,and legend. There is also a sutel conservation message.
Hannah Armtrong
Dec 30, 2011 Hannah Armtrong rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Hannah by: Maddie
Shelves: favorites
one of the best books i have ever read. highly recommend it
african themed sci-fi. the last masaai. I enjoyed it
Space Opera Fans : [BOTM] - READER PICK - Ivory by Mike Resnick 18 43 Dec 31, 2014 06:39PM
  • And Chaos Died
  • Against Infinity
  • Good News from Outer Space
  • Deserted Cities of the Heart
  • A Million Open Doors (Giraut #1)
  • Picoverse
  • To Crush the Moon (The Queendom of Sol #4)
  • Mars Crossing
  • Temporary Agency (Unquenchable Fire, #2)
  • Crescent City Rhapsody (Nanotech, #3)
  • City on Fire (Metropolitan, #2)
  • The Silent Strength of Stones (Chapel Hollow #2)
  • Redshift Rendezvous
  • Drowning Towers
  • The Byworlder
  • The Exile Waiting
  • The Road to Corlay
  • Celestis
Michael "Mike" Diamond Resnick, better known by his published name Mike Resnick, is a popular and prolific American science fiction author. He is, according to Locus, the all-time leading award winner, living or dead, for short science fiction. He is the winner of five Hugos, a Nebula, and other major awards in the United States, France, Spain, Japan, Croatia and Poland. and has been short-listed ...more
More about Mike Resnick...

Birthright (1 - 10 of 33 books)
  • The Soul Eater  (Birthright #1)
  • Birthright: The Book of Man  (Birthright #2)
  • Walpurgis III (Birthright #3)
  • Sideshow (Tales of the Galactic Midway, #1)
  • The Three Legged Hootch Dancer (Tales of the Galactic Midway, #2)
  • The Wild Alien Tamer (Tales of the Galactic Midway, #3)
  • The Best Rootin' Tootin' Shootin' Gunslinger in the Whole Damned Galaxy (Tales of the Galactic Midway, #4)
  • Eros Ascending (Tales of the Velvet Comet, #1)
  • Eros at Zenith (Tales of the Velvet Comet, #2)
  • Eros Descending (Tales of the Velvet Comet, #3)