Start by marking “Waking Up Wendell” as Want to Read:
Waking Up Wendell

Waking Up Wendell

EARLY IN THE MORNING, a little bird at #1 Fish Street hops out of her nest, takes a deep breath, and begins to sing a very loud and whistley song, TWEEEEEET-TWEEEEEET-TA-TA-TA-TWEEEEEET-TWEEEEET!

So starts the story of how a chain of events results in everyone on one street waking up. The bird's song awakens Mr. Krudwig at #2 Fish Street, whose grumbling wakes up Leopold, h
Published September 11th 2007 by Schwartz & Wade

To ask other readers questions about Waking Up Wendell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Waking Up Wendell

Sarah Sammis
Dec 29, 2010 Sarah Sammis rated it it was amazing
A recent favorite book of my daughters is Waking Up Wendell by April Stevens. It has earned its way onto the multiple reads pile and was for about two weeks the nightly bedtime story.

The story begins in a tree outside Number 1 Fish Street. The birds wake up the dog who in turn wakes up the owner who puts the dog outside where he can wake up the resident of Number 2. And so it goes through a chain of events through each house and each resident until at last Wendell is awoken.

The book's first winn
Natalia Ortega-Brown
"Early in the morning, a little bird at #1 Fish Street hops out of her nest, takes a deep breath, and begins to sing a very loud and whistley song. TWEET-TWEET-TA-TA-TA-TWEET..." And so it begins, a chain reaction that takes us past every house down Fish Street, waking each neighbor and pet in a row with all kids of sounds.
Walking Up Wendell is a fun story to teach sequence of events, cause and effect, numbers (the house numbers are also listed in order), and onomatopoeia (all the different n
babyhippoface
Apr 29, 2008 babyhippoface rated it it was ok
When the little bird at #1 Fish Street wakes up and begins singing each morning, she starts a chain of events that awakens residents from house to house, including the last to rise, baby Wendell at #10 Fish Street. Comical facial expressions reflect the various moods of the porcine residents of each home. Onomatopoeia appear on every spread, as the sleep-interrupting noises are printed in large letters across the page. Each home is painted a different color, and the oil paint and colored pencil ...more
IrenesBookReviews
Dec 04, 2010 IrenesBookReviews rated it really liked it
One after another the neighbors on Fish Street are woken up. One is woken up by a bird another by a dog and so on. In the end they wake up the last animal in the last house, baby Wendell.

I enjoyed the book because it was easy to read and had a fun quick story about people waking up and what they do when they first get up. This was a fun story about a street and the different neighbors that live there.

Pam
Feb 11, 2008 Pam rated it really liked it
This is a children's picture book that I have read many times. It goes through each resident of ten side by side houses on Fish Street and a piece of their waking up routine. The transition from one house to another is made by a noise, such as a barking dog, waking up one resident to the next. It is made funny in that the residents are all pigs personified. It is a great book that makes children and adults chuckle.
Janet
May 30, 2013 Janet rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
More of a 2.5 star book...This is a cute premise - sort of a whisper-down-the-lane, cause and effect story. There are some nice, onomatopoetic words throughout. One of the main things that makes it less than satisfying is that the events that happen throughout don't really seem to be tied together. The end of the book doesn't seem to relate at all to the beginning.
Alice
Sep 04, 2015 Alice rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2-75-stars
2.75 Stars This is what I hate about my neighborhood, one noise wakes up one neighbor then it is a chain reactions. Perplexed why there are pigs in the house but the streets are named Fish! Cute pictures, but I just didn't love the concept.. we go through the long wake up process and it is just to wake up the baby, Wendell.
Dolly
Nov 19, 2009 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2009, pets
This is a cute story about how the residents of Fish Street are woken up progressively, from one house to the next. The cartoonish illustrations and main characters that are pigs are entertaining for young children. It's a fun story to read aloud.
Molly
Mar 19, 2008 Molly rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This tale gives readers a peak into the early mornings on Fish Street. The song of one little bird is enough to start a whole chain reaction. This would make a nice storytime read, as there are sounds, noises and voices on each page just begging for the kids to make them.
Tiffany
May 28, 2009 Tiffany rated it liked it
I wouldn't have guessed that my kids would enjoy this book so much. I'm still not sure why they enjoy it. I'd probably give it two stories (so so story, cute pictures) but they'd probably say 4 stars, so we'll go for 3 stars.
Tara
Aug 31, 2011 Tara rated it it was ok
We had a lot of fund with the sound effects on this story. It just went on a little long. Illustrations were cute.
Milo
Dec 01, 2013 Milo rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Library find
"I don't like Lilah's song. I just like her."
Momma says that this book it good for helping toddlers like me develop a sense of sequence in a story and character connection.
Cassie
May 27, 2015 Cassie rated it it was ok
I didn't like the negativity that this book started out with. Does the phrase "for crying out loud" really need to be in a children's book? I don't want my boy saying that.
Julie
Oct 03, 2007 Julie rated it really liked it
Loved the progressive nature of the book and the sense of community. The illustrations are bold and bright.
Shellee
Jun 19, 2010 Shellee rated it liked it
great story for younger children, my 2 yr old loved it. It is about how living in a neighborhood can effect your wake-up time. Fun sounds, have students imitate...
Suebee
Aug 10, 2013 Suebee rated it it was ok
Great for onomotopoeia - but Ugh - so long! Seemed to be aimed at preschoolers but the story is written for 3rd graders and up.
Apr 24, 2010 571 rated it liked it
PreSchool-Grade 2 SLJ/ Ages 4-8 BK
story tells how each neighbor does something to wake up the next until the whole street is awake. cute pictures
Phylisia Elyse RN
Phylisia Elyse RN rated it it was amazing
Dec 10, 2015
Christie
Christie rated it it was ok
Jul 05, 2015
Josh
Josh rated it really liked it
May 03, 2011
JC
JC rated it liked it
Jan 14, 2014
Janine Weston
Janine Weston rated it liked it
Aug 25, 2010
Heather
Apr 30, 2014 Heather rated it liked it
Cute for storytime
Ghislaine
Ghislaine rated it liked it
Jan 24, 2009
Kerry
Kerry rated it really liked it
May 11, 2011
Asrar Alzaher
Asrar Alzaher rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2015
Pea Quibble
Pea Quibble rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2016
Liz
Liz rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2012
Shelli
Shelli rated it it was ok
Apr 20, 2008