Start by marking “Fatal Charms and Other Tales of Today/The Mansions of Limbo (Omnibus)” as Want to Read:
Fatal Charms and Other Tales of Today/The Mansions of Limbo (Omnibus)

Fatal Charms and Other Tales of Today/The Mansions of Limbo (Omnibus)

Dominick Dunne has met them all--stars and slugs, criminals and victims, the innocent and the hideously guilty--and now his two provocative collections of Vanity Fair portraits are in one irresistible volume. From posh Park Avenue duplexes to the extravagant mansions of Beverly Hills, from tasteful London town houses to the wild excesses of million-dollar European retreats ...more
Published March 9th 1999 by Ballantine Books (first published February 18th 1987)

Be the first to ask a question about Fatal Charms and Other Tales of Today/The Mansions of Limbo

RNOCEAN
Oct 11, 2009 RNOCEAN rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From the author of the best-selling People Like Us and The Two Mrs. Grenviles comes this unvarnished look at the gilded world of the real-life rich and famous. Here are the highly colorful and highly provocative look at the gilded world of the real-life rich of famous. Here are the highly colorful and highly provocative close-up interviews Dominick Dunne has written for Vanity Fair. In them, Dunne tells all about today's creme de la creme as only as insider can tell it. Here is his engaging prof ...more
Rebecca
Dec 10, 2008 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
I loved the first half of this book, and was bored by the second half. Overall, I would greatly recommend it. This book inspires me to explore the genre of short true story complations. I also plan to read more from this author. I find his writing interesting and honest, and his point of view unique.
Leslie
May 27, 2009 Leslie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The first story in this collection is the horrifying tale of the author's daughter's murder and the farce of a trial that followed. The remainder of the stories are "personality" stories about the places and people in the out-of-sight American jet set of the early-mid-80's. The author was in a unique position to interview the people he did for these stories, having been an actor/producer in Hollywood himself. As such, it is somewhat difficult to discern if he writes about them with sardonicism o ...more
Lara
Jul 13, 2014 Lara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
I love Dominick Dunne's writing, and am sad that I have now read all his books. This one is a collection of articles he wrote for Vanity Fair chronicling his encounters with the rich and famous, from O.J Simpson to Queen Noor. He seems to be welcomed by most even though or maybe because he documents their egomania. Especially amusing were the old-money community who like to bar new-money from their country-clubs, and then got hacked-off when the new super-rich didn't want to join as they had far ...more
Rose
May 16, 2011 Rose rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I love Dominick Dunne and was so sad when he passed away. This is an older book, a collection of the stories he wrote for Vanity Fair. No one had the inside scoop on the rich and famous like he did. Even though I was familiar with many of the characters and their stories, I'm having a hard time putting the book down.
Erin
Mar 09, 2012 Erin rated it it was amazing
LOVED this collection of Dunne's best nonfiction pieces. The essay about the trial of his daughter's murderer is heart-wrenching. It's all his best Vanity Fair pieces about the crimes and fatal undoings of prominent people. Good stuff.
Stacey
Oct 23, 2012 Stacey rated it liked it
Insights on the trial of his daughter's murderer, the trial of Claus Von Bulow, and more. I love Dunne's writing style but I wanted the rest of the story, some of which were still ongoing when this was published.
Helen
Sep 25, 2016 Helen rated it it was amazing
I'd always been a fan of Dominick Dunne and had read this years ago. He infiltrates the rich and famous and gives us a glimpse of their world. I miss him and had given up my Vanity Fair subscription when he died.
Roseanne
Jan 22, 2008 Roseanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book has about 4 or five stories of high profile crimes. one includes the murder of the author's daughter...she was the girl in poltergeist 1 who screamed "WHATS HAPPENING!". her boyfriend murdered her. great book!
Jessica
Nov 16, 2014 Jessica rated it liked it
Dominic Dunne was one of my favorite true crime writers; his monthly Vanity Fair articles will always be missed...this being said, this collection of cases would mostly interest his die hard fans, with the exception of his own daughter's murder which was heartbreaking.
Margot Note
A fun, trashy read!
Heather Domin
Not what I thought it going to be, but still enjoyable. Makes me want to look up his other work.
Eileen
Sep 09, 2012 Eileen rated it liked it
I read most of these stories before.
Melissa
Dec 26, 2014 Melissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: dunne
I like Dominick Dunne's stories...Hate that he has gone on.
Margaret Jones-Tanquary
Aug 12, 2012 Margaret Jones-Tanquary rated it it was amazing
Couldnt put it down.
2skeins
Dec 17, 2008 2skeins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
also published later on in a QP version.
Gail
Jul 17, 2010 Gail rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bizarre tales of the rich and famous. What a strange world he lives in.
Jodie Newhouse
Jodie Newhouse rated it it was amazing
Dec 20, 2015
David
David rated it liked it
Dec 14, 2012
Janet Edwards
Janet Edwards rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2012
Brannon Boswell
Brannon Boswell rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2013
Kandace Mathews
Kandace Mathews rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2015
Terri
Terri rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2009
Meg
Meg rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2015
Mark Noble
Mark Noble rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2017
Susan H Roth
Susan H Roth rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2016
Andrea
Andrea rated it really liked it
May 27, 2007
Ina Hood
Ina Hood rated it it was amazing
Feb 24, 2016
Lorie Wooten
Lorie Wooten rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2017
Stacey Lea
Stacey Lea rated it liked it
Oct 21, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Self-Made Myth: And the Truth about How Government Helps Individuals and Businesses Succeed
  • Born Losers: A History of Failure in America
  • Portraits and Observations: The Essays of Truman Capote
  • We Wanted to Be Writers:  Life, Love, and Literature at the Iowa Writers' Workshop
  • Bushworld
  • Notes from the Larder: A Kitchen Diary with Recipes
  • Black Mass: Apocalyptic Religion and the Death of Utopia
  • Anonymous Lawyer
  • The Secret Parts of Fortune: Three Decades of Intense Investigations and Edgy Enthusiasms
  • The Spaceship Graveyard (Doctor Who: Decide Your Destiny, #1)
  • The Year Before the Flood: A Story of New Orleans
  • Phantom Nights
  • The Best American Essays 2002
  • Hollywood
  • The Best American Essays 2000
  • A Fist In the Hornet's Nest: On the Ground In Baghdad Before, During & After the War
  • Mind Beyond Death
  • Waste of Timelessness and Other Early Stories
Dominick Dunne was an American writer and investigative journalist whose subjects frequently hinged on the ways high society interacts with the judiciary system. He was a producer in Hollywood and is also known from his frequent appearances on television.

After his studies at Williams College and service in World War II, Dunne moved to New York, then to Hollywood, where he directed Playhouse 90 and
More about Dominick Dunne...