Start by marking “Three Shadows” as Want to Read:
Three Shadows

Three Shadows

4.06  ·  Rating Details ·  3,585 Ratings  ·  410 Reviews
Back then, life was simple and sweet. The taste of cherries, the cool shade, the smell of the river... That was how we lived, in a vale among the hills--sheltered from storms, ignorant of the world, as though on an island, peaceful and untroubled.

And then...
And then everything changed.

Can you ever escape your fate?

Three shadows stand outside the house--and Louis and Lise
Published April 1st 2008 by First Second (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Three Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Three Shadows

Seth T.
Mar 24, 2011 Seth T. rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics

Kids, from time to time, will die from terrible conditions that for-better-or-worse will give parents a good space of time in which to quietly go mad. Leukemia, cancer, some horrible incurable disease that causes the body to slowly shut down. It happens. And it's always distasteful. And Cyril Pedrosa made a comic about it.

It's times like this that the term comic is grossly inadequate as a descriptor of what it hopes to describe.

I am the father of a young daughter and the possibility of losing he
Christopher

I should let a little time pass before writing down my thoughts on this gem of a comic. Instead, I will rave about how much I loved it, how hard it hit me, how it's such a huge shame that this is the only book translated into English by this French author/illustrator, how incredible its drawings are, very similar to Craig Thompson if you like him, how Pedrosa is one of the few black and white artists I've encountered who can really utilize the contrast of deep blacks and stark whites to perfecti
Betsy
Mar 14, 2008 Betsy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I showed my husband my latest First Second graphic novel, Three Shadows, he took a gander at where the book had originally been published. “France? Doesn’t First Second know that there are hardworking American graphic novelists being put out of their jobs because of guys like this?” He was joking of course, but after a while a person might begin to agree. Where DOES First Second come up with these people? If they’re not romancing us with handsome mummies as in The Professor’s Daughter then ...more
Chris_P
Jan 22, 2016 Chris_P rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels

And then...
And then everything changed.

When it comes to graphic novels, I prefer those with realistc and colored drawings. In The Three Shadows the art is neither realistic nor colored. At first I found it a bit hard to follow but soon I got the hang
Daniel
May 28, 2016 Daniel rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Daniel by: Kristijan
Shelves: graphic-novels
Beautiful.
Ivan
Apr 20, 2015 Ivan rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Ivan by: Nanche
Visuals where weird and at start I found them repelling but as novel progressed I liked them more and more and at the end I loved them.

Story itself is great too.

This graphic novel is real gem.
Katerina
May 30, 2016 Katerina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vitor Martins
Esse quadrinho é muito lindo. Um exemplo perfeito de arte maravilhosa + história bem contada.
Três Sombras é uma história sobre família, luta e amor incondicional. É a clássica premissa "Até onde você iria para salvar seu filho?" contada de um jeito criativo, cheio de magia e emoção.

As ilustrações do Cyril Pedrosa são maravilhosas, sua narrativa visual conduz a história de um jeito muito legal. Algumas páginas me prenderam por vários minutos porque eu queria apenas observar os detalhes.

Eu adoro
Kristina
May 26, 2016 Kristina rated it it was amazing
The most beautiful graphic novel I've read so far! A true masterpiece!!!

It was charming, emotional, thought-provoking but most of all real. It is inspired by a real story the author has witnessed and I can honestly say that he did an amazing job representing it in a fictional world.

Ah, the artwork! Outstanding! It is exactly the way I imagine every graphic novel to be!

Best graphic storyteller!

Go, go, go! Read it :)
Rebecca McNutt
This eerie but beautiful graphic novel tells a fantasy story about a couple whose child is in invariable danger. Exploring themes of death and family love, it's an absolutely incredible book.
Licha
Mar 15, 2015 Licha rated it really liked it
Shelves: great-cover
Beautiful book. I don't want to give much away because part of the beauty is letting the story unfold on its own, even when you've figured out what's going on. This book held me in suspense, wondering what was going to happen once the three shadows revealed themselves. What would they look like, what would they ask of the family? Like the book jacket asks, How far would a parent go to save their child? It's a question that has probably crossed anyone's mind when they have a child.

The story did s
Callie Rose Tyler
Sep 18, 2015 Callie Rose Tyler rated it it was amazing
Heavy, emotional, bittersweet.

On a base level this story is dark and creepy, three shadows want a couple's only child, their young son. The boy's father, Louis, decides to take him far away from the three shadows. He sacrifices so much to keep his son safe.

However, what makes this story powerful and memorable are its allegorical qualities. It is a story about dealing with loss, especially the loss of a loved one, a child. The final poem, which had me in tears, says it all:

In this our springtime
Matt
Apr 16, 2009 Matt rated it liked it
I really liked this, though I don't know quite what to make of it-- the story is interesting, especially in its parts, but at the same time, I'm not sure it all hangs together. There are sequences, like the getting on the boat stuff, that take a lot longer than I think they are worth, and elements that are never really resolved satisfyingly-- like the slave holder stuff. And I struggled to see if this was a story for kids, which isn't entirely my thing, or if it was meant for adults, and if that ...more
George
Jun 12, 2015 George rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Πολύ ωραίο και ιδιαίτερα ξεχωριστό graphic novel, με ενδιαφέρουσα και αρκετά συγκινητική ιστορία και εξαιρετικά όμορφο σχέδιο, το οποίο ήταν απόλυτα ταιριαστό με το ύφος και τους σκοπούς της ιστορίας. Ο συγγραφέας και σχεδιαστής είπε να γράψει μια ιστορία με έντονα αλληγορικά στοιχεία, με αφορμή τον θάνατο ενός παιδιού και την επίδραση που έχει ένα τέτοιο τραγικό γεγονός στους γονείς του. Ακόμα και να μην πιάσετε την αλληγορία πίσω από την ιστορία, θα απολαύσετε σίγουρα την παραμυθένια αφήγηση, ...more
C.J. Cummings
May 08, 2015 C.J. Cummings rated it really liked it
A poignant, weird and wonderfully told story of family, the importance of life and enjoying those moments while you can. I really enjoyed this book. The whimsical and surreal dream-like black and white artwork works really well with the curious tale being woven. This is my first Pedrosa experience and I was taken away by it for the short time it took me to read the book. Really unique and enjoyable. A single-story graphic novel worth trying, for sure.

4.25 out of 5
Mayday
Dec 29, 2012 Mayday rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-mine
I took this randomly, just to kill time at public library because I had had what I wanted to borrow. I didn't even know at first that it was graphic novel, the title intrigued me.

For someone who is very used to manga artwork, this graphic novel is a whole new thing for me, but I had read Buddha, watched Persepolis, and that kind of artwork doesn't turn me off. It is cute, actually. Unique. And like drawing using coal on a wall, wonderful.

The story itself is quite breath-taking because I didn't
Stephen
Oct 30, 2011 Stephen rated it liked it
Beautiful, allegorical fairytale. An idyllic family of three living in the woods, become aware that there are three shadows watching them, seemingly getting closer. The father attempts to protect his family from the mysterious trio, without knowing what they want or having any idea of what they will do next.

The book is beatifully drawn, with lots of controlled scribbly lines (a little reminiscent of a slightly lighter Mattotti), but Pedrosa varies his style to good effect. Some of the pages are
Karolina
I read the book Three Shadows by Cyril Pedrosa. It had an interesting cover and it had good reviews. It was a graphic novel therefore it was easy and fun to read. I wanted to read a graphic novel because they have interesting stories and pictures and they are fun to read, this book had all these qualities.
Joachim lives with his parents in a small house far away from everything. They have a happy and calm life. Until one day the three shadows come and they want to take away Joachim away. His fath
Colleen AF Venable
This would be a great example of why I adore :01. Wish I could say I had a hand in any of the design or progress of this book. Pedrosa's lines are so fluid and dynamic. This is a perfect example of a book that was meant to be b&w. Rather than the eye focusing on color instead it focuses on the movement and the flow of the panels. The story itself is incredible, both heart-breaking and I found myself laughing at parts as well (hic-uping angel of death, anyone, anyone?) Even the most minor of ...more
Ma
Jul 18, 2016 Ma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ben mince alors. Quand ils disent "émouvant" sur la jacquette ils plaisantent pas. Très joli conte graphique, peut-être quelques petites longueurs, mais une jolie façon d'évoquer ce sujet. Très beau dessin.
J'aimerais en dire plus, mais l'ayant pris au hasard dans la bibliothèque, j'ai aussi apprécié laisser l'histoire se découvrir.
C'est une aventure, un petit garçon, son papa, une menace et des émotions finement décrites.
KayeC Jones
Jun 07, 2016 KayeC Jones rated it it was amazing
I love graphic novels and this is a great one to pick up. It's one you can own and re-read all the time, as I do. The story is moving and the illustrations are excellent. I love that they chose a subdued color palette.
Raina
May 12, 2010 Raina rated it liked it
I love First Second books. Beautiful cover, lovely pages. This definitely feels like a translation - tone is a little free, themes are crazy sophisticated. Beautiful, sad story, that gets pretty symbolic at the end. Sad, but lovely.
Rob Bockman
Feb 08, 2016 Rob Bockman rated it really liked it
Beautiful and simple, with a kind of sketchy but flowing style that calls to mind storyboards.
Akke
Jun 18, 2015 Akke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ugh. So good (4.5 stars). The art was beautiful!
Rui Bastos
Sep 27, 2016 Rui Bastos rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: emprestado
Absolutamente fantástico. Uma história emocional, bem contada e sem medo das consequências. A arte complementa perfeitamente o texto e faz deste um livro tremendo sobre o destino, a família, a aceitação e o sacrifício!
Jessica
Sep 17, 2014 Jessica rated it really liked it
I picked this up on a whim, while wandering the library last week. There's nothing I love more than to peek at what they've added to the graphic novel section under "library favorites". Someone out there wanted me to read this, and I happily obliged! Especially once I opened it to take a cursory glance at the first page. Three Shadows both looked, and sounded, like something I needed to take home with me. So, I did.

This is the story of Joachim, an adorable bundle of excitement and youth. The rea
Philip
Aug 18, 2010 Philip rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
The thing about graphic novels is this: they are all so different. I realize that's true of all books - but it becomes apparent so quickly with graphic novels.

The Arrival was unlike any other graphic novel I'd read. ... Osamu Tezuka was unlike any other graphic novel author. Guy DeLisle has his own flavor...

Pedrosa makes good (and creepy) use of light and dark throughout this graphic novel. The pages fit together perfectly. He'll have two pages of black on white drawing, four pages of white on
Fredrik
Apr 30, 2011 Fredrik rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Selesai baca buku ini dalam 1 jam.
Ternyata kondisi gak bisa online benar-benar meningkatkan kecepatan saya dalam membaca buku, huehehehe.

Buku ini bercerita tentang sekeluarga kecil yang terdiri dari si Bapak macho (Louis), si Ibu keibuan --> ya iya lah ya... :D (Lise), si Anak (Joachim), dan anjing mereka (Diego).
Alkisah, mereka hidup damai-tenteram-bahagia di suatu lembah nan asri dan indah. Kehidupan mereka terasa sangat nyaman, sederhana, khas impian banyak orang (yang belum teracuni tekno
Helen
Dec 27, 2015 Helen rated it it was amazing
*Possible spoilers, read with caution.*
This was amazing! I was hardcore sobbing during almost the entire duration of this book. I love the characters SO SO MUCH. They were represented in a way tat made them so endlessly likable and the tragic events in this really hit me, like bricks. The art was also beyond excellent! Also, the little boy in the story was wonderful! The parents were such good people, not only to their son, but to other people that they would meet. I appreciated absolutely every
Kathleen
Feb 25, 2016 Kathleen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel, 2016
Onlangs had ik deze graphic novel vast in de bib van Leuven, maar toen ik het boek wilde uitlenen, kreeg ik een foutmelding. Blijkbaar had iemand het gereserveerd, maar was het toch terug in de rekken beland. Vandaag zag ik het toevallig staan in de plaatselijke bibliotheek en besloot ik het toch mee te nemen, want eerlijk is eerlijk, ik baalde er nogal van dat ik het boek in eerste instantie niet kon meenemen. De tekenstijl had me heel erg aangesproken. En blijkbaar is het verhaal ook fantastis ...more
3 Shadows 2 40 Jul 22, 2013 11:21AM
  • The Professor's Daughter
  • Spera, Volume 1
  • Glacial Period
  • Big Questions
  • Âme rouge (Blacksad, #3)
  • Arrugas
208436
Cyril Pedrosa began his career in animation, working on the Disney films "Hunchback of Notre Dame" and "Hercules." He has since become a rising star in a new kind of graphic storytelling, combining the influences of animation and the literary traditions of Borges, Garcia Marquez, and Tolkien to create a unique visual handwriting.
More about Cyril Pedrosa...

“Back then life was simple and sweet. Everything was simple and sweet. The taste of cherries, the cool shade, the fresh smell of the river. That was how we lived, in a vale among the hills, sheltered from the storms. Ignorant of the world, as though on an island. Peaceful and untroubled. And then. Then everything changed.” 8 likes
“In our springtime