Start by marking “The Two Mrs. Grenvilles” as Want to Read:
The Two Mrs. Grenvilles

The Two Mrs. Grenvilles

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,803 Ratings  ·  113 Reviews
A luscious novel composed of just the right measure of sex, glamour, passion, and psychological motivation . . . . This is a candy of a book."-- "Cosmopolitan.""Smoothly written, engrossing . . . Ann is a heroine you love to hate . . . . Will be read with enormous enjoyment for the personalities, from Brenda Frazier to the Duchess of Windsor, that decorate its pages for th ...more
Published November 28th 1998 by Ballantine Books (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The Two Mrs. Grenvilles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Two Mrs. Grenvilles

Good-Bye, Mr. Chips by James HiltonFrom the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. KonigsburgThe Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis StevensonMrs. McGinty's Dead by Agatha ChristieMrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf
Mr & Mrs etc.
36th out of 120 books — 21 voters
Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin KwanThe Privileges by Jonathan  DeeThe Official Filthy Rich Handbook by Christopher TennantThe Icarus Prediction by R.D.  GuptaOne Fifth Avenue by Candace Bushnell
Books about the rich, jet-set, leisure class
13th out of 29 books — 34 voters

More lists with this book...

Alona
Dec 07, 2015 Alona rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Alona by: Nick Pageant
3.5 stars.
This book tells the story of Ann Granville and Her mother in law, Alice Grenville.
It's very openly based on the real life story of Ann and Alice Woodward.

When I started reading the book, I thought that the author, Dominick Dunne, tells us the story, from his POV, his own memories/knowledge. But as I kept reading, it was clear that he is telling us not just the characters story, but also Truman Capote's story, because to me, it was obvious that Dunne has made Capote as the one that wrot
christa
Mar 06, 2011 christa rated it really liked it
The first Mrs. Grenville is a triplet from the kind of family that the painter John Singer Sargent captured in portrait. The newly-minted Mrs. Grenville is a former showgirl from a small town in Kansas, lying about her age, sexual and marital history. Dominick Dunne's novel The Two Mrs. Grenvilles chronicles a fictional tug-of-war between these characters, based on a factual tug-of-war between the characters on which they are based.

I love Dominick Dunne, whom I affectionately refer to as "that
Jill
Nov 02, 2009 Jill rated it really liked it
quasi-fictional book, this is a delicious story about the higher echelons of New York society in the 1940's and 50's. It was inspired by the real life of Ann and William Woodward, and William's murder in 1955 by his wife.The fun of this book is the insider view of those high society circles. Dunne, a writer for Vanity Fair, dishes about these folks with a giggle and takes great pleasure at exposing them and their snobbish ways. The main focus is Ann Grenville (Woodward), social climber extraord ...more
Beth
Oct 21, 2011 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reminded me a bit of "American Eve" another "crime of the century" however this woman shot her husband for spite rather than abuse as Florence Evelyn Nesbit did.

That aside this is based on true events, told from a reporters point of view. I wish Dunne had a better name for him, Basil Plant, really, although there maybe something to read into that name. This is a fun, gossipy, mindless novel about a woman (a gasp show girl from rural Kansas) trying desperately to social climb in the NY Society of
Gillian
Jul 27, 2008 Gillian rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people with jewels
Recommended to Gillian by: Neva
Ah, Dominick Dunne, you never disappoint! At the end of this book, I decided that I hated both Mrs. Grenvilles. Actually, I hated almost everyone in this book, with the exception of Billy's childhood friend, but I can't remember what that guy's stupid nickname was. Anyway, DD is great because he writes books about people who have basically no redeeming qualitites, and yet, you are hooked. This makes me want to re-read A Season In Purgatory, which I think is his best one!
Marcellina
Oct 13, 2009 Marcellina rated it really liked it
Our book club decided to read The Two Mrs. Grenvilles upon learning of Dominick Dunne's recent passing. I just finished it, and found it a total, trash, page turner. I'm sure it is based on actual events, as Dunne was a wanna be in the upper class NYC scene, and he has a well-known fascination for crime, and the wealthy's ability to "get away with it." The characters in this story are, sadly, spoiled, mostly amoral, and sadly negligent parents, but I found it hard to put down. Immediately read t ...more
Mientras Leo
Jul 20, 2015 Mientras Leo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Una novela escrita por un cronista social que parte de un hecho real
Más aquí
Monica
Mar 03, 2011 Monica rated it liked it
After reading this book and "People Like Us" I FINALLY understand why I love Dominick Dunne so much--reading his books is like watching amazingly awful reality TV.

There I said it. Guilty as charged. Also, who can resist dialogue like this:

"It's Junior sowing his wild oats. He'd never marry her."
"How can you be so sure?"
"She pronounces the 't' in 'often.' "
Connie Hodges
Aug 06, 2012 Connie Hodges rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was impossible for me to put down. The story of how Ann Grenville, former show girl turned society wife and Alice Grenville, aristocratic mother-in-law to Anne interacted over time is fascinating.
The book centers mainly on Ann, the outrageous firebrand who so wanted to be accepted into society and then ruined her life and the lives of many others with her violently unbalanced behavior.
As much as Ann's detestable and selfish behavior made me want to hate her, Dunne did a fantastic job o
Maryann
Jun 29, 2014 Maryann rated it really liked it
The narration is on point, a quiet, well told story that creeps up on you. I was expecting something else however, because of the title, more interaction between the 2 Mrs Grenvilles. The book slowed down tremendously in the last 50 pages or so. I found myself wanting to finish. But due to the peek inside NYC society and the attention to detail, and how it made me feel like I was gossiping with the girls over tea, I gave it a 4.
Fredsky
Feb 08, 2010 Fredsky rated it liked it
Are there really people like this? I'm afraid there are, but I don't know any. Reading Dominick Dunne is like watching great bad TV. It's better, because the writer creates an intimacy that TV cannot provide. This is the story of a beautiful poor girl, Ann, who is determined to climb up to the highest social level in NYC and beyond. She meets an innocent rich boy and they marry despite his family's horror. It works for a while. But Ann's goal is to become as refined, dignified, and commanding as ...more
Joy H.
Added 5/3/15. (first published 1985)
I read this book years ago. If I remember correctly, it was a good read. One review said that the book gives you "glimpses of high living in high places".

A GR review describes the story very well as follows:
====================================
"quasi-fictional book, this is a delicious story about the higher echelons of New York society in the 1940's and 50's. It was inspired by the real life of Ann and William Woodward, and William's murder in 1955 by his wif
Neva
Sep 19, 2007 Neva rated it liked it
Not my favorite Dominick Dunne book. Although, it features my favorite aspects in a Dominick Dunne tale: rich people, sass, pill-popping, affairs, craziness, and murder! Murder!!!

It's the tale of a lovely dancing lady with the most amazing rack known to man (allegedly) who marries a rich guy before he goes off to war..She's from the wrong side of the tracks but becomes a lovely pill-popping New York society lady, and then kills her husband. Somehow, this is also a fun read.
Data
It's not that the writing is bad - I didn't think about the writing or characterization - so both were good. I just did not like a single character in any part of this story. I don't care that anybody got shot, or if there was a reason. I'm just not interested in someone else's money and snobbery. I admitted to myself I was only finishing this book because I started it on my reading challenge. So there's my bit of snobbery.
Bec Sachse
Oct 25, 2014 Bec Sachse rated it really liked it
Running out of things to read, I picked this book out of a dusty bookshelf at a hostel - and I'm glad I did! Even though the reader is made aware of the main characters demise straight away, you are compelled to read on to get a glimpse of New York's high society in the early-mid 20th century.

It's all about romance, glamour, gossip and scandal - tonight on 'Power, Privilege and Justice'. I feel like I've heard this before.... It did remind me a lot of one of the cases Dominick Dunne covered on
Susan
May 05, 2014 Susan rated it it was amazing
They say you cant make this stuff up, and he didn't have thanks to the murder mid-century in the Woodward family. I love the way Dunne's character is Truman Capote. I loved comparing the facts online with the novel . Good read and probably not that unusual of a story in the fame vs. shame category. Not a pretty portrayal of the female persona, young or old.
Kristina
May 19, 2011 Kristina rated it liked it
The first of many Dominick Dunne books I've read---like most of his books, this one was inspired by real people and a Truman Capote like figure reveals the sordid details of notorious gun "accident" where a wealthy man was accidentally shot to death by his social-climbing wife. Dunne's books are most readable and often quite fun.
Gillian
Sep 22, 2009 Gillian rated it really liked it
I was really sad to learn that Dominick Dunne had died because I always enjoyed his articles and his views on the court system. So I thought I should read his best seller. I got sucked into all the lives and the fact that it was based on a true story made it even better. It's not a great work of art but a fun read.
Saiyara
Jul 16, 2015 Saiyara rated it really liked it
This book felt real to me. Ann Grenville was a character ready to do anything to get what she wanted, her name on the social register. She accomplished it, through tricks and lies, deceit and compulsion. And in the end, when after all ended, she suffered. When I finished this book I realised that the way these rich people were, Alice Grenville and her daughters, using money to hide the truth, using appearances to hide what's inside, was so...real. The characters in this book were shallow, but I ...more
Lara
Sep 29, 2010 Lara rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010
Thoroughly enjoyable tale of New York's snobby rich & upper classes in the 1940's. Dunne is fantastic at dialogue, very little scene-setting -characters are revealed by their talk.
Shelli
Feb 03, 2009 Shelli rated it really liked it
I read this book probably 15 years ago! I really liked it while hating many of the characters! I do enjoy Dominick Dunne's writing....great summer read.
DJ
Oct 18, 2009 DJ rated it really liked it
Dominck Dunne is one of my favorites for deliciously bad weathly people. He can really skewer them.
Lynda
Jun 04, 2009 Lynda rated it liked it
Another good book by Dunne. His writing is always compelling and the story is fascinating.
Ldrhc
May 17, 2009 Ldrhc rated it really liked it
An easy summer read. How does this guy get away with turning truth into fiction?
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Jul 31, 2011 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Those Fascinated by the World of the Rich and Famous
This is one of those supposedly first person accounts where the narrator (Basil Plant) disappears into the background, with it reading more like omniscient. A gossipy, voyeuristic omniscience spinning a compellingly readable yarn based on the true murder case involving Ann and Billy Woodward. A blurb from Publisher's Weekly points to the appeal of the novel: "knowing glimpses of high living in high places." The author Dominick Dunne, a writer for Vanity Fair, had walked in such places, among suc ...more
Gena
Mar 02, 2015 Gena rated it liked it
This book probably deserves a 3.5 for me--not a great work of literature, but a fun read. It is not the sort of thing I normally read; but I picked it up because I have a very vague connection to the business end of the estate and had heard a lot about Belair horse farm and the Woodward estate when I was a child, so I have always been curious about the murder. It is a fun book to read. It is somewhat predictable, of course you know what the main plot point is going to be all along. The story mov ...more
Soozblooz
Dec 04, 2014 Soozblooz rated it really liked it
Dominick Dunne has an eye for detail and an ear for dialogue. Reading THE TWO MRS. GRENVILLES was like watching a daytime serial. The pacing is superb.

A fictionalized account of the 1955 murder of William Woodward, Jr., this book will leave you curious about the line between what Mr. Dunne recounts and what really occurred. His tale is not unsympathetic to the fictionalized Ann Woodward, although he clearly believes she is a murderess.
Caroline
Jan 28, 2013 Caroline rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Caroline by: Susan Brewer
Reading this book was like watching a train wreck in slow motion. You know what's going to happen and that it's going to be awful, but you keep watching (reading) anyways.

There were a few slow(er) parts in the first half, to fully paint the picture of this dysfunctional relationship, back in a time when the phrase hadn't been coined. I kept returning to see the story unfold, to find out what outrageous thing Ann would do next. Her capability for self-delusion was extraordinary, perhaps the sing
Victoria
Jul 03, 2015 Victoria rated it liked it
I'm almost positive I read this book before. I could remember only the broadest plot points so, I enjoyed it immensely. It is a bit lurid but since it is a lightly fictionalized version of a true story, the luridness is totally accurate. I find the female characters more explained, explored and understandable. The title is 'The Two Mrs. Grenvilles'. not 'Mr. and Mrs. Grenville'. It's a tragedy that probably could have been prevented.
Clare
May 05, 2013 Clare rated it liked it
Shelves: someone-cheats
So there's a whole style or narration where the writer of the book interacts with the characters about which he's writing. This is another one of those. The writing is EXCELLENT. But the plot is quite a downer. It felt much like The Great Gatsby meets Rules of Civility.

Showgirl Ann Arden enchants wealthy slacker Billy Grenville with how lively and delightful and open she is. Yet a visit to Billy's cold and controlling mother Alice sets the stage for a silent, polite war between the two Mrs Gren
  • Family and Friends
  • Sweet and Low: A Family Story
  • Losing Isaiah
  • Cut!: Hollywood Murders, Accidents, and Other Tragedies
  • East Side Story: A Novel
  • Ladies of the Grand Tour: British Women in Pursuit of Enlightenment and Adventure in Eighteenth-Century Europe
  • Rosie Meadows Regrets
  • Haywire
  • Cruel Doubt
  • A Secret Life: The Lies and Scandals of President Grover Cleveland
  • The Tenth Case (Jaywalker, #1)
  • The Abruzzo Trilogy: Fontamara, Bread and Wine, The Seed Beneath the Snow
  • Rich People Things
Dominick Dunne was an American writer and investigative journalist whose subjects frequently hinged on the ways high society interacts with the judiciary system. He was a producer in Hollywood and is also known from his frequent appearances on television.

After his studies at Williams College and service in World War II, Dunne moved to New York, then to Hollywood, where he directed Playhouse 90 and
More about Dominick Dunne...