Start by marking “A Fatal Vineyard Season (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #10)” as Want to Read:
A Fatal Vineyard Season (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #10)

A Fatal Vineyard Season (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #10)

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  282 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
It's September on Martha's Vineyard, that perfect time of year when the summer people have gone back to "America" and the locals can enjoy the many pleasures their beautiful island has to offer. For J.W. Jackson and his wife, Zee, September brings time for sailing and fishing and savoring the joys of parenthood of toddler Joshua and new baby Diana. September also brings so ...more
Hardcover
Published June 15th 1999 by Scribner Book Company

To ask other readers questions about A Fatal Vineyard Season, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Fatal Vineyard Season

Wayne Zurl
Jun 25, 2015 Wayne Zurl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A FATAL VINEYARD SEASON by Philip R. Craig

After a quick trip back to my old neighborhood on the North Fork of Long Island, a day wandering around the Peconic Bay-side town of Greenport, and a couple of nights in a motel on LI Sound, I was in the mood for one of Phil Craig’s Martha’s Vineyard mysteries and the almost parallel lifestyle led by JW Jackson on The Vineyard.

A FATAL VINEYARD SEASON was next on my chronological list. Generally, these tales of an ex-Boston cop enjoying his disability ret
Ed
Feb 07, 2016 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#10 in the Martha's Vineyard Mystery series.

It's September on Martha's Vineyard, that perfect time of year when the locals can enjoy the many pleasures their beautiful island has to offer. It's only when the two beautiful African-American actresses arrive in Oak Bluffs that J.W. begins to sense that something is terribly wrong. Why is Julia so afraid that she wants J.W. to look into every closet to make sure nobody is lurking in her house? Even an apparently idyllic place such as Martha's Vineya
LJ
A FATAL VINEYARD SEASON (Amateur Sleuth-Martha's Vineyard-Cont) – G
Philip H. Craig – 10th in series
Scribner, 1999- Hardcover
Retired policeman, J.W. Jackson, is hired to look after starlet Ivy Holiday, who is African-American, and has continued to receive letters from a stacker currently in prison. However, a greater threat comes from a local sexist racist and whose ex-con brother runs a protection business around the island.
*** J.W. is an interesting character; devoted husband and father who lo
Joan Schrock
Sep 14, 2014 Joan Schrock rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: culinry-mystery
This book was not what I expected. The language was very bad.It was reality I am sure but way too violent for me. I did not finish it. I had expected a mystery with recipes on Martha's Vineyard. It is set on the Vineyard but I don't think I would be interested in any food or can't imagine how that would fit into the sex, gore and street language of this book.I did not read the entire book - in fact I quit on the 5th chapter.
Pam Bales
Jan 22, 2016 Pam Bales rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, police, cozy
Again JW Jackson, wie Zee, and children want to live a comfortable life in their little house on Martha's Vineyard, fishing, lazy around, working occasionally, and hanging with friends. That is need to be the case as murder tends to come a-knockin'. It is a cozy, read for someone looking for a good series for summer entertainment (winter as well).
Laurel Deloria
This is a detective story taking place in the Vineyard
Martha's Vineyard is home to ex-Boston cop J.W. Jackson, his adored wife Zee, their toddler Joshua, and newborn daughter Diana. For others, the picturesque vacation spot is a relaxing escape from a world filled with trouble.
Linda
Jan 26, 2015 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very graphic at one point, other than that it is a very good. Love every one of Philip R. Craig's books.
Diane Heath
Jun 23, 2014 Diane Heath rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This was a fast moving story. Zee and kids are "in America" visiting her family so J W is home getting into trouble. One drawback is that the reader knew what role the hurricane would play
Diane
Dec 26, 2014 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read - enjoyed it
Nancy H
Apr 16, 2014 Nancy H rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this story J.W. is threatened and injured when he tries to help two Hollywood actresses avoid a stalker. Fortunately for J.W., his wife and children are off-island when all this occurs, so he can focus on finding the bad guy who is the stalker, and fending off the other bad guys who are after him. Another solid entry in this series.
Natalie
Jul 26, 2013 Natalie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own, cape_cod
This one was a lot more violent than the other ones I've read. There were some pretty horrible attacks and really harsh language at times - enough that I worried about the kids picking up the book.

I've got a book from the library to read and I think I needed a break from these anyway. I've still got 2 more, if I remember correctly.
Kathie
Jun 01, 2013 Kathie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good story this time and biy there was lots of action in this one. Really too bad these bad guys had to mess up the idyllic island but then againt here wouldn't have been a good story if they didn't.
Sandy
Sep 02, 2011 Sandy rated it liked it
Craig and Jefferson are always entertaining... though such a glum and scary season on the Vineyard had me feeling antsy and ill at ease... Idol disturbed... alas, even Paradise is full of scums.
Nan
Sep 07, 2012 Nan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series of books grows darker and more violent as they go. Still a light read, but not as much fun as in the beginning...
Colleen
Mar 04, 2008 Colleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Colleen by: My mom
Another good mystery. Easy and a fast read. Very enjoyable with yummy recipes included. My mom recommended
Francine
Oct 22, 2013 Francine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Good story but a bit too dark for my taste. Fast read.
Janet
Aug 19, 2010 Janet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good one.
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Jill Tool
Jill Tool marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Trish Payne
Trish Payne marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Wanda Whitney
Wanda Whitney rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was ok
Apr 06, 2016
Tina Silveira
Tina Silveira marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
Debra
Debra added it
Mar 20, 2016
Pat
Pat rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2016
Heather Maoury
Heather Maoury marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2016
Bdecoster
Bdecoster rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2016
Cobagibu
Cobagibu marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2016
  • Out Cold (Brady Coyne, #24)
  • The Rattle-Rat
  • With Friends Like These... (Amanda Pepper, #4)
  • Exit the Milkman (Peter Shandy, #10)
  • Murder at the Feast of Rejoicing (Lord Meren, #3)
  • Ride With Me
  • The Spring Cleaning Murders (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #7)
  • The Cincinnati Red Stalkings
  • Miss Pinkerton
  • But Why Shoot the Magistrate? (Thoroughly Southern, #2)
  • A Tapestry of Murders (Stories told on Pilgrimage from London to Canterbury, #2)
  • Another Lousy Day in Paradise
  • Spacer and Rat
  • Murder in Havana (Capital Crimes, #18)
  • A Lady, First: My Life in the Kennedy White House and the American Embassies of Paris and Rome
  • On Language
  • A Fine Old Conflict
  • A Rose for Virtue
Author Philip R. Craig passed away on May 8, 2007 after a brief battle with cancer.

Phil left three completed novels, which have now all been published posthumously. Vineyard Stalker, came out in June of 2007 just after Phil's death. Third Strike, co-written with Bill Tapply, came out in November of 2007. The final J.W. Jackson mystery, Vineyard Chill, is on the shelves now. Another J.W. book is p
More about Philip R. Craig...

Martha's Vineyard Mystery (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • A Beautiful Place to Die (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #1)
  • Death in Vineyard Waters (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #2)
  • Vineyard Deceit (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #3)
  • Vineyard Fear (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #4)
  • Off Season (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #5)
  • A Case of Vineyard Poison (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #6)
  • Death on a Vineyard Beach (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #7)
  • A Deadly Vineyard Holiday (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #8)
  • A Shoot on Martha's Vineyard (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #9)
  • Vineyard Blues (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #11)