Start by marking “Planet Kindergarten” as Want to Read:
Planet Kindergarten
Preview

Planet Kindergarten

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  240 ratings  ·  63 reviews
This clever picture book will prepare young explorers to boldly go where they have never gone before: Planet Kindergarten. Suit up for a daring adventure as our hero navigates the unknown reaches and alien inhabitants of this strange new world. Hilarious and confidence-boosting, this exciting story will have new kindergarteners ready for liftoff!
Published May 20th 2014 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Planet Kindergarten, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Planet Kindergarten

Erik This Kid Reviews Books
I LOVED this book! It’s all about a kid pretending to go on a space mission to a strange new world – Planet Kindergarten! This is an awesome book to add to your back-to-school list. If you are a kindergarten or pre-school teacher or if you have kids that are going to start kindergarten, I recommend this book. Starting school or going somewhere different can be pretty scary. I love how Ms. Ganz-Schmitt uses imagination and pretend play to help her character overcome his fears. It is great how Ms. ...more
Such a fun & adorable book! And I do hope PLANET KINDERGARTEN will be an ongoing series. The text and illustrations lend itself to a wonderful story about bravery and first days and imagination. When the narrator first walks into class and sees the "aliens" in his class it's hilarious.
babyhippoface
For this boy, the first day of kindergarten is like climbing onto a spaceship and flying to another planet. He takes us through his entire day from beginning to end, and everything is one great space travel metaphor. There was some cleverness, but my main problem with the text was that I think some of the humor went right over the heads of the kindergarten audience. I read it to a few classes, and they seemed to like it, but they certainly didn’t love it. There were a lot of blank stares.
Polly
Cute, but it gives me the feeling that I've been hit over the head. Might be a little too stimulating for some!
Ann Williams
I LOVED this book. There are many reading, word study, and writing mini lessons possible with this book and it is FUNNY! The pictures are pretty cool too! I think everyone will be ab;e to connect with this book on some level! :)
Samantha
The first day of school is treated like a space mission. The concept really works and adds a lot of humor, not sure kids will be laughing as much as adults, but it's still a fresh take on a topic oft covered in picture books.

Digital illustrations offer a lot of details to support the humor of the text. A good read aloud (with the proper treatment) for PreK-2.
Donalyn
This book is clever and the bold Space Age illustrations are cool, but my kindergarten granddaughter didn't get it. Will pass this one along to a kindergarten teacher friend.
Lorna
The analogy of the first day if kindergarten being like space exploration was clever but might be lost on some younger kids. I do like the bold illustrations though.
Teresa Bateman
A bold, intrepid child is preparing to launch himself into a new adventure--kindergarten! Vivid graphics and bright, imaginative digital illustrations show a high-tech sci-fi classroom, with unusual occupants. Nevertheless, the child experiences everything most kindergartners go through--fear of separation, anxiety about new experiences, and interest in discovering new things. It really is the job for a true explorer! Is he really on a mission, or is it a metaphor? Does it matter? Kindergarten t ...more
Linda Atkinson
What a creative approach to starting kindergarten and separation anxiety! Absolutely LOVED this book!
Kelsey
Age:Kindergarten-1st grade

An exploratory journey to a foreign world known as kindergarten. Although the story describes a "first day" experience, this would NOT alleviate first-day jitters. It would just make things very very confusing because the protagonist uses metaphor to describe his experiences with space lingo. This book would be best experienced by seasoned Kindergartners that understand the humor in comparing Kindergarten to space.

Favorite excerpt:
"Gravity works different here. We hav
Tasha
Told in the first person by a little boy, this picture book mixes science fiction, space exploration and Kindergarten into one awesome picture book. The boy has been training for this day for some time. He has gotten supplies, been checked by a doctor, and the countdown to lift off has begun. He arrives at the Kindergarten door and his parents leave, returning to their own planet. He joins a classroom filled with aliens from across the galaxies. The commander gives them the day’s flight plan and ...more
Darshana Khiani (Flowering Minds)
I love surprises and this one surprised me.
I mean come on another Kindergarten book. Maybe it is because I loved outer space as a kid and still do or maybe the glass of wine while I was reading it (which I rarely do).
I loved, loved the word play so much that I didn't even let the little hiccup about him taking a nap at school slide(this doesn't happen in any KG class that I know of). This is a book for any child that loves outer space and will be entering KG.
I will definitely be doing a full rev
Stephanie Croaning
This is a fun story about a young boy who is preparing for his first day of kindergarten. He is a huge space fan, and he envisions all of his preparations as if he is an astronaut preparing for outer space. This would be a great story to share with a youngster on the first day of kindergarten, but it could definitely use extra time and discussion to help young children make the space connections. A reference to NASA would probably be meaningless to most kindergarteners. The illustrations are vib ...more
Barbara
Digital illustrations and text follow a youngster on his first day of school. Clearly fascinated with space and rockets, he approaches the experience in the same way he might a rocket launch and space exploration. While not all of the scenes and connections work as smoothly as others, many of them work perfectly. I can see this little guy working for NASA one day soon. I like the idea of his teacher as shuttle commander and appreciated his struggle with staying in his seat--due to gravity challe ...more
Lynn
Astronaut fans will love using this space analogy for the kindergarten experience: mission, base camp, capsule, escape hatch. My granddaughter, who will be starting kindergarten in three days, was entertained and informed, such as by the 'different' people she'll meet, and feelings she may experience.
Lots of black, as in outer space, dominate the otherwise colorful pages. The unnamed boy telling the story is shown with a rectangle head with rounded corners. Other students, known as aliens, and
Mission accepted! Failure is not an option! Mission accomplished! The space theme story takes the reader through the daunting mission of the first day of kindergarten. The language and theme are consistent with space adventures and draw the reader along, representing well both real and imagined fears of first day jitters. The illustrations are full page, vivid with a few comic book-like spreads. Enjoyable and fun to read, helping the reader bring pragmatic imagination to understandable fears.
Venus
Review originally posted on Children's Atheneum

This clever picture book will prepare young explorers to boldly go where they have never gone before: Planet Kindergarten. Suit up for a daring adventure as our hero navigates the unknown reaches and alien inhabitants of this strange new world. Hilarious and confidence-boosting, this exciting story will have new kindergartners ready for liftoff!

This is one of the more fun back-to-school books that I have read in a while. Then again, I have a propens
Tanya
This is a picture book where our explorer sets off from his home planet to explore the new land of kindergarten. The whole adventure is done using words related to space exploration. The pictures are bold and all over the page, making them interesting for little ones to study even if they cannot read the words. The words are fun though, possibly expanding the space vocabulary of your own little adventurer. It is a really cute story, fun to read and look at.
Mary Ann
“The countdown started. Dad and I checked the plans for my next big mission… I am ready to explore: Planet Kindergarten!” Starting school is certainly exciting, but it can also be nerve-wracking. One imaginative little kid knows it might be just like blasting off into outer space. There are strange routines, new crewmembers, and you might even get a bit homesick. Bold colors and a retro-style amp up the humor in this fun twist on getting used to a new school.
Mary
Imaginative back-to-school picture book. Love the space theme. The extended metaphor that starting school is like going on a space trip to another planet works very well with the brightly colored futuristic illustrations. I also appreciated the use of the NASA slogan: "Failure is not an option." But my favorite part is when our space traveler is home: "Mom and Dad are proud. Me, too, because they were brave to let me go." So true!
Kris
I think this one will work best for one-to-one reading. Some of the pages, especially the first couple of spreads, had a lot going on. It felt a bit like this was a spin-off book from an animated short - lots of change in perspectives in the art and visual jokes that some preschoolers might not get at first. Young space cadets will dig this, especially those who've had a few days of kindergarten under their belts.
Karen
This is a cute book, if not a wholly accurate one (no hoodies or hats on school campuses these days, and it has been years since kids took naps in Kindergarten) about one little boy's first day of school.

My little boy, who is in Kindergarten, did not relate to this book as well as I thought he might, but he was fascinated by the illustrations.
Kristina Lareau
The endpapers intro to the title page is an inspired way to being this creative story. Filled from 1st page to last with a space metaphor, this is a great book to soothe anxious Kindergartners. Also, it is just such a fun metaphor! This would prove a great read aloud and is a showcase of how well-done digital art can look digital and still be tasteful.
A young boy is ready to start kindergarten, imagining himself to be an astronaut. The extended space metaphor and busy pictures make this a text that's probably a bit to complex for the intended audience. Still, I loved the idea of being brave and treating school as a new adventure.
Amber Houslet
A fantastic read that students and parents will enjoy together! "I try to get used to the atmosphere... gravity works differently. We have to try hard to stay in our seats." Some of the vocabulary will need explaining as it is space related but students of all ages will enjoy!
Nicole
I rated this book "it was Okay" because I did not really love it. My kids however, would disagree! I think anyone that teaches Kindergarten or has a Kindergartner (especially one interested in space) would really enjoy this. I just did not love it.
Liz
I liked the premise... a space adventure - going to kindergarten. I'm wondering though if young students would get some of the connections. Might be fun to explore with space loving students as a starting school book.
Librarygarden Librarygarden
This beginning of the school year book will definitely appeal to my kindergarten boys. A clever spin about beginning school, feeling a little scared, learning to deal with new people, and realizing that school is a great place to be!
Amy
Planet Kindergarten reminds both parents and students that although Kindergarten might seem like the "great unknown," there are wonderful things to discover and learn everyday. And you can always return to your home planet every night.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • My Teacher Is a Monster! (No, I Am Not.)
  • Monsters Love School
  • The Numberlys
  • The Monkey Goes Bananas
  • Peanut Butter and Jellyfish
  • Oliver and His Alligator
  • Hooray for Hat!
  • Number One Sam
  • Mom, It's My First Day of Kindergarten!
  • Dog Days of School
  • Sea Monster's First Day
  • Three Bears in a Boat
  • A Pirate's Guide to First Grade
  • The Midnight Library
The Princess and the Peanut: A Royally Allergic Fairytale Even Superheroes Get Diabetes Super K's Diabetes Superpowers