Start by marking “The Sorrows of Young Werther--Elective Affinities--Novella” as Want to Read:
The Sorrows of Young Werther--Elective Affinities--Novella

The Sorrows of Young Werther--Elective Affinities--Novella

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  194 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Containing three of Goethe's major prose works, this volume explores a range of themes: unfulfilled love, infidelity, divorce, tragic love, fantasy, and moral rebirth. One of Goethe's best known works, "The Sorrows of Young Werther, " explores the extremes of the subjective experience through the novel's depiction of a sensitive young man caught up in a love impossible to...more
Published November 19th 1995 by Princeton University Press (first published 1774)

Be the first to ask a question about The Sorrows of Young Werther--Elective Affinities--Novella

Adamo Lanna
Werther era un povero sfigato. Lo so per certo perché pagina dopo pagina capisco quello che sente, e questo dovrebbe bastare come prova. L'amico che riceve le sue lettere è un vero ottuso, si sa da pagina 3 che questo si fa secco: prendi l'eurostar, vallo ad aiutare.
Ottilia invece doveva mettersi con lo spasimante del collegio, si sarebbe sistemata. Invece va dietro al mammalucco di Edoardo, che sinceramente è il personaggio che più mi sta sul cazzo, lui e il suo flauto che manco sa suonare. Car...more
Þróndr
I decided to pick up this volume mainly because it contains Elective Affinities, but as it turned out I actually liked that one less than The Sorrows of Young Werther, which is structurally more stringent, though I was very frankly relieved when Werther finally put a gun to his head in the end. In the short Afterword, the editor, David A. Wellbery writes that "Werther is the first European novel in which subjectivity per se acquires aestethic concretization.” That also makes it interesting per s...more
Anne
Goethe's Sorrows of Young Werther had been on my bedside reading table for ages. Well, it was just as heavy as I had anticipated it would be.

It's interesting that, as his literary career progressed, Goethe had distanced himself from the Sorrows of Young Werther, and that towards the end of his life, he was saddened to find that the many of those who came to visit him as an old man had only ever read his Werther.

Werthe had catapulted Goethe to fame at the age of 24 and had made him one of the wor...more
Daniel Klawitter
"...nothing puts me off so completely as when someone utters a commonplace when I am talking from the depths of my heart." Goethe, The Sorrows of Young Werther.
Colin
Werther shoots himself and then lingers on for days. The description of his death makes him seem pathetic, not romantic. I've always wondered if that was a later addition, a change in light of Werther-imitators, or if it was part of the original. The former would be kind of unfortunate, but the latter would be an important codicil to the tragic image of the romantic poet: "What you think is profound is really pathetic."
Gabriel
The first of these is the more famous, and definitely better of the two, chronicling one man's obsession in a disinterested manner. The second is also very interesting, though in this case involving a middle-aged couple and their burgeoning loves for persons with whom they are better suited. "Elective Affinity" was a theory of chemistry at the time I believe.
Cat
This book struck me as the first in the "disaffected young man" series of lit that most americans associate with jd salinger's "Catcher in the Rye." This book had a similar impact in Germany when it was published, i.e. young men emulating the titular Werther and his sorrow. Less then a one hundred pages long.
Seth
Hmmm, Goethe. Let me sum this one up in one whine: Wah, she loves me, no she don't, wahhhhh.
A hard read but the Romantics are a moment in time. Kinda have to get past this to get to Enlightenment era. Then this makes sense. It's the continum, stupid!
Amy
Sep 10, 2013 Amy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone who enjoys a good story
Very well written. Young Werther and Novella are little treats to read. This is literature at some of its finest writing. As to the story itself....Werther is hard to feel sorry for! But I absolutely recommend these.
Ana
Starting today! Saw Young Goethe in Love & loved the characters portrayed (subtitled w/ great actors IE: Alexander Fehling); got me interested in learning more about Goethe's writing.
Jamie
Sappy and suicidal.
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Zé
marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Omer Istac
Omer Istac marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Colin
Colin marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Ela
Ela added it
Jul 22, 2014
Michele
Michele marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Rio Lam
Rio Lam marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Nuofei
Nuofei marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe was a German writer. George Eliot called him "Germany's greatest man of letters... and the last true polymath to walk the earth." Goethe's works span the fields of poetry, drama, literature, theology, humanism, and science. Goethe's magnum opus, lauded as one of the peaks of world literature, is the two-part drama Faust. Goethe's other well-known literary works include h...more
More about Johann Wolfgang von Goethe...
Faust: First Part The Sorrows of Young Werther Faust Elective Affinities Faust, Part Two

“Es ist ein einförmig Ding um das Menschengeschlecht. Die meisten verarbeiten ihre Zeit, um zu leben, und das bißchen, das ihnen von Freiheit übrig bleibt, ängstigt sie so, dass sie alle Mittel aufsuchen, um es los zu sein” 4 likes