Start by marking “The Witnesses” as Want to Read:
The Witnesses

The Witnesses (Lancaster Burning #3)

Note: product cancelled, or possibly postponed--Good Books went out of business in December 2013 and was acquired by Skyhorse Publishing in a bankruptcy court auction in September 2014

The Witnesses is the third novel in Amish novelist, Linda Byler’s current series, Lancaster Burning. Byler takes readers inside the home of the leader of the local Amish community, Davey Beil
Published by Good Books (first published May 12th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Witnesses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Witnesses

April
Aug 22, 2015 April rated it it was amazing
The third and final book in the amazing "Lancaster Burning" series. Can be read as a stand alone, however, I would suggest reading the others in this series.
Ms. Byler is a gifted and talented authors, who writes with passion, compassion, about difficult dilemmas, fear and love. Can tragedy bring about love, or cost Sarah? Can Lee love Sarah for her inner beauty or be turned away for her now scarred face? Someone is setting Amish barns on fire, but who and why? In this the conclusion readers lear
Karen
Mar 11, 2016 Karen rated it really liked it
Fascinating story of the struggle with love and forgiveness, The best of this series by far.
Nat Kidder
Aug 15, 2015 Nat Kidder rated it liked it
The story starts off fast, with an arsonist torching an Amish barn and a young Amish lady pining for a charming, if flirtatious, young Amish man. But neither of these subplots get fully resolved; Ms. Byler might as well have put a To Be Continued... at the end. Moreover, the dialogue sequences are so choppy that the reader often wonders who is saying what.

Some reviewers complained about the product placements in the novel. Personally, I think Ms. Byler, who is Amish herself, just wanted to make
Carol Stowe
Sep 16, 2015 Carol Stowe rated it liked it
This third book in the Lancaster Burning series was nearly as good as the first one and better than the second. Of course it's great when all the hints and clues make the story fall together. As far as the romance part, the ending was as expected. The arsonist story line had an atypical ending, so much the better. Along the way Sarah's older siblings had more interaction and I enjoyed seeing the girls tease each other. But better than that is there was not so much in and out of characters' heads ...more
Christy
Dec 30, 2014 Christy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dearly-loved, amish
I was so glad to see Linda Byler has received a new publisher and the long awaited The Witnesses was to finally release. I simply thought it was wonderful. It's Amish through and through with humor, sadness and exceptional writing. This book and the series focus on a Amish family and their community struggling over recent barn fires and the right way to handle it according to Amish beliefs and tradition. This book is interesting, honest, thought-provoking and detailed beautifully. I would certai ...more
Kate
Oct 02, 2016 Kate rated it really liked it
I think this was my favourite of the "Lancaster Burning" trilogy. Not only did it finally answer some questions about what was going on in Sarah's life and in the community at large, there were some really rich details about Amish life itself in the narrative, moreso than in the other books, I think. As I was finishing the last few chapters, I realised just how *much* I enjoy Linda Byler's writing style, and she has moved to near the top of my must-read authors of Amish fiction!
James D.
Oct 13, 2015 James D. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AN EXCELLENT READ

This story has it all, adversity and failure, courage and recovery, all under the provision and grace of a loving God.
Many stories have these elements present, but few are woven together so beautifully. The prose at the end is full of the timeless realization of God's provision, reminding me of Ecclesiates.
William Mikesell
Excellent Read

I really enjoyed the completeness of Amish traditions within a delightful story. The value and understanding of forgiveness even though our trials may be hard. I also liked the scriptures references used in the marriage ceremony. It gave new light and understanding to verses and stories I enjoy. Thank you for a enjoyable story and great reading.
Larisha
Jun 10, 2016 Larisha rated it really liked it
This was my first time reading Linda Byler and I enjoyed her writing style. She does a nice job weaving together the characters... adversity and failure, courage and recovery, all under the provision and grace of a loving God.

The ending is full of the timeless realization of God's provision!

Abigail
Aug 31, 2015 Abigail rated it liked it
Shelves: amish
I enjoyed this trilogy. You can definitely see improvement in Byler's writing since "Lizzie's Running Around Years" and I enjoy getting a feel for the daily life of the Amish. I feel like Byler's books feel a little more authentic and aren't just full of sterotypes since Byler herself is Amish.
Sara
Aug 28, 2016 Sara rated it liked it
I've been waiting to read this for a long time due to the fact it was unavailable for awhile. A great ending to the trilogy , my only complaint is that there were times the dialogue was choppy and ran into eachother so you weren't sure who was talking or thinking .
Gladys Landing-Corretjer
Superb! I loved how the author used Levi's character to provide wisdom and humor. She did an excellent job at tying ALL loose ends, yet leaving room for future action. The moral of the story is that despite all of life's struggles, longings, and yearnings, a solid faith in God will see us through.
Glmomich
The Author could have eliminated some of the descriptions and made the books a little shorter. The story was a good one and I enjoyed reading it. However, I found myself skimming through a lot of the books because of the lengthy descriptions.
Phyllis Stinson
Aug 25, 2016 Phyllis Stinson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great Read

I don't usually buy a book from a set after finding out the first one was open ended. I skipped book 2. I bought the last one and it was great. I loved it. Great ending! I figured it had to have and ending! Loved it.
Alice Ricard
Jul 16, 2016 Alice Ricard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Beautiful Love Story

Love Amish books but this was such a sweet story. I laughed, I cried and just could not put the book down I had to know how it ended. Highly recommend this book
Susan Zilkie
Susan Zilkie rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2016
Stacie
Stacie rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2016
Katie
Katie rated it liked it
Mar 05, 2016
Darlene
Darlene rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2015
Sherree Chmitlin
Sherree Chmitlin rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2016
Frances
Frances rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2016
Diane Bauman
Diane Bauman rated it it was amazing
Sep 01, 2016
Lois
Lois rated it liked it
May 02, 2015
Sharlene Davis
Sharlene Davis rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2015
Nora Peevy
Nora Peevy rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2016
Kathy
Kathy rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2015
Mary C.Elder
Mary C.Elder rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2015
Tammy
Tammy rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2014
Romona Ray
Romona Ray rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2015
Tasha
Tasha rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • A Little Bit of Charm (New Beginnings, #3)
  • Katie's Journey to Love (Emma Raber's Daughter, #2)
  • Plain Killing (An Amish Mystery #2)
  • The Amish Clockmaker (The Men of Lancaster County #3)
  • The Rescued (Keepers of the Promise, #2)
  • Huckleberry Hill (The Matchmakers of Huckleberry Hill, #1)
  • Minding Molly (The Courtships of Lancaster County, #3)
  • A Christmas Bride in Pinecraft
  • A Dream of Home (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel, #3)
  • A Love Undone: An Amish Novel of Shattered Dreams and God's Unfailing Grace
  • In Plain View (Valley of Choice #2)
  • A Wedding for Julia (The Pebble Creek Amish, #3)
  • The Amish Bride of Ice Mountain (Ice Mountain, #1)
  • A Road Unknown (Amish Roads, #1)
Linda Byler grew up Amish and is an active member of the Amish church today. Growing up, Linda Byler loved to read and write. In fact, she still does. She is well known within the Amish community as a columnist for a weekly Amish newspaper. Linda and her husband, their children and grandchildren live in central Pennsylvania.
More about Linda Byler...

Lancaster Burning (3 books)
  • Fire in the Night (Lancaster Burning, #1)
  • Davey's Daughter (Lancaster Burning, #2)