Start by marking “Le Chevalier d'Harmental” as Want to Read:
Le Chevalier d'Harmental

Le Chevalier d'Harmental

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  217 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Jeune aristocrate, Raoul d'Harmental est monté à Paris en 1711. S'étant illustré à la guerre, il a été nommé par Louis XIV colonel de son régiment. Hélas, à la mort du roi, il se retrouve au milieu du conflit qui oppose le parti des princes légitimes et celui des bâtards. Philippe d'Orléans, prince légitime, a été nommé régent de France car Louis XV est encore mineur. D'Ha ...more
Published April 27th 2006 by AlterEdit (first published 1845)

To ask other readers questions about Le Chevalier d'Harmental, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Le Chevalier d'Harmental

Matthew Trodglen
A quick read compared to The Count of Monte Cristo or The Three Musketeers trilogy, Dumas manages to jam enough action and storyline into the novel to make it worth the read. Despite being a weaker work in Dumas' bibliography, it displays the craftsmanship in blending action and suspense that were so common to his novels. The heroine is a weaker version of Mercedes from Monte Cristo and the protagonist is a lesser D'Artagnan. However, they are easily likable and their romance is believable and g ...more
This was a fun book to read and it just makes me feel good inside to read 'classics'. I will admit to skimming a little during the historical political explanations that didn't seem to be super important to the plot. I just don't know a lot about French history and it all sort of went over my head. But I did enjoy the intrigue and the love story, and the characters.
Dec 30, 2008 Stephen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Andy
This is a fun Dumas book, a relatively quick read, it has the romance of The Black Tulip and the adventure of Le Reine Margot, definitely a good book with an interesting storyline. The hero is easy to like and retains the same characteristics of a good Dumas protagonist. This book is the first of a two "companion" book set, the other being The Regent's Daughter.
Ana Sofia
I am a Dumas fan, so maybe this is a little biased.
Le Chevalier D'Harmental tells the story of a young chevalier and his adventure.
It's clearly similar to the three musketeers but not so deep and compelling.
Still it does the job captivating the reader with it's perfect characterizations and descriptions of romance and events.
I started this book rather light heatedly but as the ending unfolded i got more and more into the story and was happily surprised.
I recommend it for people who enjoy this
Kawaler d'Harmental jest drugą powieścią Dumas, ktróą przeczytałam i przyznam, że miałam dość spore oczekiwania względem tej pozycji. Nie zawiodłam się! Przyjemna, prowadzona lekkim stylem, narracja. Zaskakujące zwroty akcji na koniec, fundujące czytelnikowi jedyne w swoim rodzaju emocje; dworskie intrygi, pojedynki i romanse w tle - dokładnie tego oczekiwałam. Z zapartym tchem śledziłam losy kawalera i jego ukochanej. Główny bohater nie wzbudził zbytnio mojej sympatii, za to inne postaci (zwłas ...more
Loved it! Should be made into a movie. Dumas rocks.
It hadn't stopped me of being a loyal fan of Dumas, but this work is for sure not comparable with the Count of Monte Cristo or the Three Musketeers. More fictional than historical read (such as the Three Musketeers that was based on historical facts), the plot is very fast and lacking details.
This book was filled with adventure, romance, royalty, intrigue, glamour, misfortune, love, humor, and good fun. I liked the characters and the story. It was well paced and fun to read.
I love Dumas, this book has had me gripped, I love the intertwined action with the romance, brilliant as I have come to aspect from the best author of all time!
There's no such thing as a bad Dumas book. The Conspirators is a great book, it just wasn't one of my favorites.
Un muy buen libro, mini tres mosqueteros. Además ya deja a un lado a Luis XIV y entra con Luis XV.
Elijah Spector
I got a beautiful old copy as a gift, I wish it had a year on it.
Amanda Michelle Jones
i have the 1893 edition. i just... wow.
Anchie added it
Sep 02, 2015
Miss Prism
Miss Prism marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
Teddy is currently reading it
Jul 29, 2015
Estelle marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Jean-Paul Walshaw-Sauter
Jean-Paul Walshaw-Sauter marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Alley Cat
  • Barry Lyndon
  • Le Comte de Monte-Cristo
  • Le Prince que voilà (Fortune de France, #4)
  • The Last Joy (Green Integer Books)
  • A láthatatlan ember
  • Sarah Churchill Duchess of Marlborough: The Queen's Favourite
  • Les Contemplations
  • The Road to Compiegne (French Revolution, #2)
  • Les animaux dénaturés
  • Kidnapped and Catriona
  • Eureka: A Prose Poem
  • The First Garden
  • Where the Stress Falls: Essays
  • 'Tis Pity She's a Whore and Other Plays
  • Letters
  • Les Rois Maudits (Les Rois Maudits #1-7)
  • The Command of the Ocean: A Naval History of Britain, 1649­-1815
This note regards Alexandre Dumas, père, the father of Alexandre Dumas, fils (son). For the son, see Alexandre Dumas.

Alexandre Dumas, père (French for "father", akin to Senior in English), born Dumas Davy de la Pailleterie, was a French writer, best known for his numerous historical novels of high adventure which have made him one of the most widely read French authors in the world. Many of his no
More about Alexandre Dumas...
The Count of Monte Cristo The Three Musketeers The Man in the Iron Mask (The D'Artagnan Romances, #3) Robin Hood, The Prince of Thieves Twenty Years After (The D'Artagnan Romances, #2)