Start by marking “Boiled Over (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #2)” as Want to Read:
Boiled Over (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #2)

Boiled Over (A Maine Clambake Mystery #2)

For Julia Snowden, the Founder’s Day summer celebration in Busman’s Harbor, Maine, means helping her family’s clambake company to prepare an authentic taste of New England seafood. Any Mainer will tell you that a real clambake needs wood for the fire . . . so why is there a foot sticking out of the oven?

The townspeople want to pin the murder of the RV park owner on Cabe St
Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Published May 6th 2014 by Kensington

To ask other readers questions about Boiled Over, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boiled Over

LORI CASWELL
Jan 16, 2016 LORI CASWELL rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2014

Dollycas’s Thoughts

Barbara Ross has cooked us up another fine mystery in Boiled Over. In this follow-up to Clammed Up Julia is still trying to make sure the Snowden Family Clambakes are back on the right track. She thinks serving their food sat the Founder’s Day celebration will be the perfect way to advertise and put a little more money in the business account. Of course she didn’t plan for the dead body.

Ross introduces us to some new characters who are not all who they seem to be. This leads t
Jonathan
A second book in what is becoming a solid, but not over-the-top series, Boiled Over was a delightful read with a few weak points.

I really like Julia, though I wish she'd admit the inevitable; she's staying in Busman's Harbor. Chris is great, but I wish he'd open up a bit about himself. Sonny was absolutely horrible at the beginning, but he warmed up towards the end. I seriously don't know why he isn't nicer to his sister in law!

The setting is absolutely idyllic. The last three books I've read in
Ronna
Jul 16, 2014 Ronna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio
Julia Snowden left her high powered New York job to help her family keep the Snowden Family Clambake making a profit, but she still plans to return to her "real" job. She's already helped in one murder investigation, getting her boyfriend out of trouble. Now on the Founder's Day committee, she comes to the docks to check on the Snowden families giant Clam baking oven, just to find a human leg hanging out of the fire and her newest young employee, Cabe, running away from the scene. Drawn into the ...more
Dawn
Feb 01, 2015 Dawn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really, really liked this book. I thought it really had a good flow to it. Held my attention all the way through. Cannot wait for the next installment to come out, which won't be soon enough.
Lucy Burdette
May 31, 2014 Lucy Burdette rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent cozy mystery series with a main character who has depth, a charming setting, and good food!
Linda
Sep 17, 2016 Linda rated it liked it
Shelves: challenge
3.5 stars. This 2nd installment in the series didn't disappoint! I was definitely kept guessing and suspected just about everyone at some point. Good climactic ending and am looking forward to the next book.
Patricia Houston
Jun 06, 2014 Patricia Houston rated it liked it
I really enjoy this series but I also love coastal Maine and will read anything set there. Just a warning that my liking for this series may not be unbiased. A great deal of my enjoyment comes from reading the descriptions and trying to figure out where places are located on the real map of Maine. If I weren't so enamored of the setting I'm not sure I'd be so quick to overlook the unlikelihood of one non law enforcement family being involved in two murders within a matter of months. (That's not ...more
Mark Baker
May 19, 2014 Mark Baker rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014, mystery
Founder's Day Weekend gets off to a rough start when a body is found in the fire the Snowden Family Clambake was using to prepare a meal. With the police looking at one of their employees, Julia must dig in and find the real killer.

The story started out strongly and never faltered as it led me through several twists and turns. The characters were just as strong as in the debut, and I enjoyed spending time with all of them again.

Note: I was sent a copy of the book in exchange for my honest review
Linda Rawlins
Sep 13, 2015 Linda Rawlins rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, cozy
Boiled Over by Barbara Ross is the second book in her Maine Clambake Mystery Series. The Snowden Family Clambake Company was ready to serve cooked clams at the Founder's Day celebration, until a human body part rolled off the fire pile onto the pier. Horrified, Julia vowed to solve the murder and prove her new employee Cabe Stone innocent. The Snowden Clambake company already experienced one dead body this summer and Julia simply refused to make it two. Boiled over is a great cozy with a fresh ...more
Maya Corrigan
Jan 17, 2015 Maya Corrigan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those who like cozy mysteries with a regional flavor
The second entry in Barbara Ross's Maine Clambake series made me want to visit Busman's Harbor in August. The mystery is as engaging as the eccentric characters who inhabit the town. They're all gathered for Founder's Weekend, and Julia Snowden, trying to keep her family's clambake company above water, finds herself once more at the center of a murder. I learned a lot about Maine history, breathed in the salt air, and felt the sea breeze ruffling my hair as I read this book. One day I hope to ...more
Debbie
Feb 21, 2015 Debbie rated it it was amazing
This is a strong series for me. I have never been to Maine, but I think I will have to try to make it there some day. The characters draw me back and I really enjoy the history of the region that Barbara Ross has woven into the story. As I watch the snow pile up outside in Pennsylvania, a clam bake on a summer island sounds like the right ticket for me. Now I have to wait for the 3rd book.
❂ Jennifer
Jan 03, 2016 ❂ Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
More accurately, I'd give this 3.5 stars. 1/2 star because, in spite of the fact that they were done very well, the flashbacks got on my nerves. Can't say why, they just did. Otherwise, I enjoyed the story quite a bit. Excellent murder plot, cleverly done.

Full review: http://jenn.booklikes.com/post/991410...
Heidi (Yup. Still here.)
3.5 stars - decent installment in the series and I will definitely continue with the next book - my only issue is that Julia (the protagonist) sometimes gets on my nerves but so far these instances are fleeting and not enough to hinder my enjoyment of the book.
Jenni Schell
I love any book that is set in Maine, typically. However, I had a very hard time reading this book. I found that the plot jumped around too much for my taste.
Lisa Elizabeth
A competent mystery marred by the jumping timeline. This was an unnecessary and unfruitful story device. The story would have been better served with a chronological narrative.
April Schilling
Jun 26, 2015 April Schilling rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great book in this series! I am really enjoying reading about the Snowden family and their clambake business. Can't wait for the next book!
Yukari Watanabe
Jul 29, 2015 Yukari Watanabe rated it really liked it
This cozy mystery series has everything cozy mystery fans want. Well done.
Vickie
Nov 18, 2016 Vickie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nook
This is a conventional cozy. Set in Maine along the coast with colorful characters. It's warm and, well, cozy.
The mystery is a good one, but what I like the most is watching Julia. She came back to her hometown to help out the family business, get it back on its feet then head back to New York to her career and life. I like watching her interaction with her family and the townspeople. She doesn't think she has friends, that she doesn't belong. I like the little nudges that happen throughout the
Cheryl
Oct 26, 2016 Cheryl rated it really liked it
This is the 2nd in the series about Julia who came home to run her family clambake company in Maine. She saved the company even though a murder was associated with it, in this book their is another murder and she is afraid two will kill their business. On the morning of a big clambake, a body is found in the fire set up and her new employee is being blame. Julia is sure he didn't do it and sets out to find who did it.
Belinda
Nov 21, 2016 Belinda rated it it was amazing
Reading my way through this series and enjoying it very much. All stand alone but best read in order as relationships develop.
Jody Hamilton
Dec 08, 2016 Jody Hamilton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this second book in the series. Lots of red herrings and characters; all merging at the end.
Annmarie (Annie) Kostyk
Oct 28, 2016 Annmarie (Annie) Kostyk rated it really liked it
Love her! Moving on to the third one. What storylines. Complex and I never know who did it. Brilliant!
Gina
Oct 06, 2016 Gina rated it it was amazing
Who doesn’t love a good mystery? And one set in Maine with food? Ahhh…Boiled Over is the second in the Maine Clambake Series by Barbara Ross. Awesome! I listened to the first book on Audible (narrator is hilarious) but checked this book out from my library.
Funny, likable and super-driven Julia Snowden is up to her sleuthing ways when a Founder’s Day committee member is found dead in a contraption her brother-in-law Sonny made specially for the celebration. A new employee is accused of the murde
Diane
Oct 06, 2016 Diane rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
This is the second in the Maine Clambake Mystery series. I really enjoyed the story. Being from Maine, I love the setting and I like the continuing characters. Good mystery, nice bit of history, but not too much, and more descriptions of our great state. This is a fun cozy series worth checking out.
Nancy Narma
Oct 02, 2014 Nancy Narma rated it really liked it
“Clams + Crime = A Murderous Concoction”

In Ms. Ross’s first Maine Clambake Murder Novel, “Clammed Up”, we met Julia Snowden, who had given up her life in Manhattan and her job in Venture Capital to move back to Busman’s Harbor, Maine for one summer in order to clear up her family’s failing business. “The Snowden Family Clambake” had been started by her Father several years before. With his passing, and due to a poor business decision, the Snowden Family stood to lose it all—Marrow Island (The si
May 20, 2014 Sarah rated it liked it
Last year, I was on the fence about whether to start this series. I love the setting as we vacation in Maine frequently (albeit in the lakes region, not the coast) and I love food. The 1st set of reviews weren't what I would call, warm and fuzzy. A solid series start but definitely not as warm as some of the other cozy series out there.

That being said, I got the 1st one out of the library and liked it well enough. When I had the chance to get the 2nd one via NetGalley, I was all over it. I have
Sheri Jesse
Sep 29, 2016 Sheri Jesse rated it it was amazing
Another great Maine Clambake Mystery. Julia gets involved in solving another murder when a body is found in the fire of her family's claminator. All of the regulars are back for this story with a few newbies thrown in. Julia is very good at investigating; somehow she thinks of things that the cops do not :) There are a few twists and turns and the ending left me wanting more. Luckily, I had book 4 lined up and ready to go.
Kathie
Sep 28, 2016 Kathie rated it really liked it
I was anxious to read this after reading the first one in the series. It started out with a bang early but the middle part of the story dragged. Only when I got to the last two chapters did it get exciting again.
Lisa Haselton
Jul 06, 2014 Lisa Haselton rated it it was amazing
It's summertime! And Busman's Harbor, Maine is having its first-annual Founder's Day celebration. There's plenty of food, games, art, music, and sea air for residents and tourists alike.

Julia Snowden is busy enough with the family's clambake business, but thanks to her sister volunteering her for the Founder's Day committee, Julia finds herself super busy on this particular weekend.

Julia is running late, but makes it in time for the kick-off at Founder's Day - and just in time to discover, alon
Peter Ackerman
May 09, 2014 Peter Ackerman rated it it was amazing
"Boiled Over" is the second book in what looks to be an ongoing series by Barbara Ross featuring Julia Snowden who first made her appearance in "Clammed Up." In these "Maine Mysteries" Julia is a former New Yorker who returns to home and family to help run the Clam Bake business - thus thrusting her into a "cozy" small town with all of the requisite characters.
The previous book in the series was excellent, and I am happy to report that this sequel does not disappoint. The plot takes off short
Boiled Over--Ask the Author 3 6 Jul 22, 2014 07:37AM
  • Brush with Death (The Gray Whale Inn Mysteries, #5)
  • Playing with Fire (Sweet Pepper Fire Brigade Mystery, #2)
  • Off Kilter (Scottish Highlands, #1)
  • A Tale of Two Biddies  (League of Literary Ladies #2)
  • Murder in the Mystery Suite (Book Retreat Mysteries #1)
  • If the Shoe Kills (A Tourist Trap Mystery, #3)
  • A High-End Finish (A Fixer-Upper Mystery, #1)
  • Murder, She Barked (Paws and Claws Mystery, #1)
  • Days of Wine and Roquefort (A Cheese Shop Mystery, #5)
  • The Perfectly Proper Paranormal Museum
  • If Fried Chicken Could Fly (Gram’s Country Cooking School Mystery #1)
  • Drop Dead on Recall  (Animals in Focus, #1)
  • Reading Up a Storm (Lighthouse Library Mystery #3)
  • Grace Against the Clock (Manor House Mystery, #5)
  • Rosemary and Crime (Spice Shop Mystery #1)
  • Inherit the Word (Cookbook Nook Mystery, #2)
Barbara Ross is the author of the Maine Clambake Mysteries, Clammed Up, Boiled Over, Musseled Out and Fogged Inn.

Her holiday novella featuring amateur sleuth Julia Snowden was published along with novellas by Leslie Meier and Lee Hollis in Eggnog Murder from Kensington Books in October 2016. Iced Under, the fifth Maine Clambake Mystery, will be published in December 2016.

Barbara blogs with a wonde
More about Barbara Ross...

A Maine Clambake Mystery (5 books)
  • Clammed Up (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #1)
  • Musseled Out (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #3)
  • Fogged Inn (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #4)
  • Iced Under (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #5)