The Original Homeschooling Series (Charlotte Mason's Original Homeschooling #1-6)

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  309 ratings  ·  25 reviews
This is the complete works of the turn-of-the-century British educator, Charlotte Mason. The six-volume set includes over 2,400 pages of the finest material ever written on education, child training and parenting. Recognized as the pioneer in home education and major school reforms, Charlotte Mason's practical methods are as revolutionary today as when they were first writ...more
Paperback, 4th, 2400 pages
Published July 1st 1993 by Charlotte Mason Research & Supply Company (first published September 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The Original Homeschooling Series, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Original Homeschooling Series

The Well-Trained Mind by Susan Wise BauerA Thomas Jefferson Education by Oliver DeMilleDumbing Us Down by John Taylor GattoHow to Read a Book by Mortimer J. AdlerHow Children Learn by John Holt
Best Homeschooling Books
6th out of 151 books — 194 voters
52 Weeks of Family Spanish by Eileen Mc AreeThe Call to Brilliance by Resa Steindel BrownWaldorf Community Exchange by Kytka Hilmar-JezekDumbing Us Down by John Taylor GattoHome School, Taking the First Step by Borg Hendrickson
Homeschooling Helps and How-to
12th out of 46 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Poiema
I read this entire, meaty series over a dozen years ago when I was preparing to homeschool my first child. I have never regretted spending the time to do so. I consider it perhaps the best investment of time that I could have made because it challenged me to form a philosophy of education for my own family. Having educated 4 children the CM way for 11 years, I can say that it is part of the fiber of my being. Most appreciated points:

*emphasis on reading whole books
*the value of habit training
*lo...more
Maren
I read this book online. I didn't feel it was as much a book about homeschooling as it was a philosophy of education and how to treat children. I like knowing Ms. Mason's opinion. While I was reading I felt like my grandma was advising me. Many of the ideas resonated with me. She advises letting children form their own conclusions from their own observations. I like how she advocates daily nature time. She believes children should spend the majority of the time outdoors, even taking meals outdoo...more
Deanna
This series is tied for first in the outstanding impact it has had on me in home educating my children. I can't say enough about how great it is.

This series delves into teaching our children all the great things they need to know (narration, nature study, composition, artist study, etc), but more importantly it address the other things that make up a successful human being. The training of character, proper habits, exercise, religious worship and duty are the main crux of her whole message.

Our s...more
Sarah Bringhurst
This series of six densely-packed books contains the developed educational philosophy of my dearest homeschooling mentor, Charlotte Mason. Writing at a time when the educational system had not yet abandoned the systematic study of classical languages and history, Mason retains these and other elements of the classical education that had been standard in Britain for hundreds of years. She adds to it her own inspired understanding of how children learn, and how we can best facilitate that learning...more
Carissamh
I remember my mother having these books on her nightstand nearly all the time. When I happened to recognize Charlotte Mason's name due to this reason just a few months ago, I purchased the series via kindle and read it in a month. While I don't agree with everything laid out, I do agree on the basis of the thoughts and was taken in by the majority of what was suggested.

In her book, Mason rips apart the thoughts and philosophies commonly accepted in the educational system. Children are smarter th...more
Terri Lynn
I love this series. I read it many years ago when I was just starting out as a homeschool mom and also when I began teaching homeschoolers, tutoring students, and offering seminars for homeschooling parents. The books are old-fashioned and full of warmth and wisdom. I found narration to be excellent with kids. My own approach to education is to properly learn to read using systematic intensive phonics which hands a child the keys to goo reading skills followed by explorations of books, lots of d...more
Rachel
As a homeschooler who is unschooling, I'm starting off by reading Volume 6 as it is the Philosophy of Education for her entire homeschooler curriculum. I wanted to know what are the differences between CM and unschooling, and what are her arguments for why her method is better, and see if there are any useful concepts I could take away from her work and use in my homeschooling.

I found her writing very engaging and I agree with many of her sensibilities. The language used is clear and not that a...more
Beloved
Jun 01, 2014 Beloved marked it as to-read
As recommended by Pudewa, The Four Language Arts, CHEA 2014.
Julie Clark
I was thrilled when I found these books at Mccay’s the other day. I’ve been poring over them for the last few weeks and have been consistently amazed at some of the parallels between the time she wrote the books and today. (The books were written in the late 1800’s, Early 1900’s.) She has a Christian worldview and has the most beautiful way of encouraging those who desire to do things in a more excellent way. And of course my favorite thing that Charlotte says is, “No Twaddle!”
Lindsey
Still on Volume 1 and reading the modern language version. So far I find it very well-written with advice and tidbits of wisdom that would be helpful for any mom (homeschooling or not)! I am planning on homeschooling using her methods (and Ambleside Online recommended booklists) and know these books are going to be a great help and encouragement. :)
Meredith Henning
Always pull these out about this time, food for thought never ceases each time I read these, and more especially Vol's 1, 3 and 6, my favorites!Anyone having their children read "Ourselves" or reading it aloud to them?? Do tell...
Katia
Oct 01, 2012 Katia added it
Charlotte Mason, my hero.
She was this crazy woman who came around with this amazing vision about kids and the way they could be learned. I'm still in trance after reading the books several years ago...
Kellie
Apr 27, 2011 Kellie added it
I finished volume 1 and decided that I needed to read it again. I am almost done with volume 2 and then will go on to volume 3. There is a lot of good practical advice for mothers of young children.
Suzanne hanks
This is what being a parent is all about. If you want to feel love oozing out of yourself...this series will inspire you for weeks on end! Then have you coming back for more.
Maria "Teng" A.L.
Slow read because of the somewhat Old English style of writing. Still hurdling volume one after starting for over a year now. But is it a gem!
Nicole
May 01, 2013 Nicole marked it as to-read
Shelving this one for a while. It's 6 books in one, and there is a LOT in here. I'll be coming back to it this summer, I am sure.
Rachel
Mar 19, 2009 Rachel marked it as not-finished
I barely scratched the surface on this book--needed more mental energy than I had at the time. Definitely want to get it again.
Misty Lynne
Charlotte mason lived around the turn of the century. Her love for and understanding of children is phenomenal.
Fruitfulmomma
I don't have a clue why this have the "Left Behind" cover on it. I don't read those books!
Phyllis
I read parts of these books all the time. I love the writing! The vocabulary just grabs you!
Susan
This series of books is confirming what I've always believed that education should be.
Karen L.
She helped me turn my kids into lovers of books, and to her I am grateful!
Contemplative
Jul 25, 2013 Contemplative marked it as to-read
Shelves: to-be-continued
This is a 6 volume set. Currently reading Volume 1 - Home Education.
Chanelle
Read these even if you don't plan on homeschooling!
Amy Gentry
The Home School approach I use.
Heather Mac
Heather Mac is currently reading it
Aug 29, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Julia Dempster
Julia Dempster marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Angelique
Angelique marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Discussion, quotes, questions, confusion... 1 2 May 15, 2013 11:41PM
  • A Charlotte Mason Companion: Personal Reflections on the Gentle Art of Learning
  • For the Children's Sake
  • A Charlotte Mason Education: A Home Schooling How-To Manual
  • When Children Love to Learn: A Practical Application of Charlotte Mason's Philosophy for Today
  • Educating the Wholehearted Child
  • The Way They Learn
  • Family Matters: Why Homeschooling Makes Sense
  • The Core: Teaching Your Child the Foundations of Classical Education
  • Homeschooling Our Children Unschooling Ourselves
  • 100 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum: Choosing the Right Educational Philosophy for Your Child's Learning Style
  • Home Learning Year by Year: How to Design a Homeschool Curriculum from Preschool Through High School
  • Free Range Learning How Homeschooling Changes Everything
Home Education A Philosophy of Education Ourselves (The Homeschoolers Series) Formation of Character School Education: Developing A Curriculum (Homeschooler Series)

“Thought breeds thought; children familiar with great thoughts take as naturally to thinking for themselves as the well-nourished body takes to growing; and we must bear in mind that growth, physical, intellectual, moral, spiritual, is the sole end of education.” 31 likes