Heroic Conservatism: Why Republicans Need to Embrace America's Ideals (And Why They Deserve to Fail If They Don't)

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  34 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Michael Gerson, who worked with George W. Bush on his most inspiring speeches, is considered by many Democrats and Republicans to be the most influential White House speechwriter since the Kennedy administration. He was also more than a speechwriter, he was a trusted insider who helped shape policy.

In Heroic Conservatism Gerson uses his own experiences in the upper tier of...more
Published October 30th 2007 by HarperOne

Christian Hamaker
Outstanding. Honest and inspirational, in a way that drives politically active people nuts. Gerson's argument is primarily moral, which doesn't go down easy in an area defined as "the art of compromise." But I find it difficult to argue with Gerson. I've read other critiques of his work, and those critiques are often thoughtful, scoring points at Gerson's expense, but fairly. Still, what a refreshing conviction Gerson brings to political problems, and what a great writer he is. I know his co-spe...more
Thomas Kidd
I became aware of Gerson in the 90s and had great hopes when he became speechwriter for President G.W.Bush. However, my increasing leanings toward libertarianism and anti-war politics caused me to reassess my appreciation of Gerson and Bush 43. This book did not change that reassessment totally, but it might have softened the edges of my criticism. I appreciate Gerson's desire that government be a force for good and his stated affirmation of Catholic Political Philosophy (and European Christian...more
David
Not only a good read, but an important book. Gerson calls for a humane American vision--one based upon our highest ideals. He is concerned for the dignity of women, the weak, and those that society's elites at both extremes would like to ignore.

He explains much of what George Bush accomplished and the motives behind those policy decisions. I believe that when and if sanity returns to college and university campuses and to American institutions that history will affirm as heroic and compassionate...more
Kevin
I wound up finishing it, and I would recommend it as an apologetic for the Bush administration. I didn't agree with all of Gerson's (or Bush's) positions, actions, or goals, but I certainly can have more respect for them as a consistent expression of a certain philosophy now.
Francelle
I admire Gerson's human perspective on politics and government. He is an idealist to the core. This book is reviving the idealist in me, and making me rethink my opinion of Bush and current and past U.S. government activities in the world.
Auh2o 1964
Meh. On domestic issues, he sounds a lot like a democrat. Seems to conflate the role of the church and the state, don't reccomend it.
Wes
Interesting look at conscious conservatism that seeks social justice. Also one perspective on the Bush White House.
Evan
Evan marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2014
Mary Baker
Mary Baker marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2013
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2013
The Bibliophile
The Bibliophile marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2013
Stephan Clifford
Stephan Clifford marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2013
Mickslibrarian
Mickslibrarian marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2013
Daniel
Daniel added it
Mar 29, 2013
Daniel
Daniel added it
Mar 24, 2013
Caroline Shewmaker
Caroline Shewmaker marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2013
Haydan
Haydan marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2012
Santasviolettas
Santasviolettas marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Michael John Gerson is an op-ed columnist for The Washington Post and a senior fellow at the Council on Foreign Relations. He served as President George W. Bush's chief speechwriter from 2001 until June 2006, as a senior policy advisor from 2000 through June 2006, and was a member of the White House Iraq Group.
More about Michael J. Gerson...
City of Man: Religion and Politics in a New Era Heroic Conservatism