Start by marking “Heroic Conservatism: Why Republicans Need to Embrace America's Ideals (And Why They Deserve to Fail If They Don't)” as Want to Read:

Michael Gerson, who worked with George W. Bush on his most inspiring speeches, is considered by many Democrats and Republicans to be the most influential White House speechwriter since the Kennedy administration. He was also more than a speechwriter, he was a trusted insider who helped shape policy.

In Heroic Conservatism Gerson uses his own experiences in the upper tier of
Published October 30th 2007 by HarperOne

To ask other readers questions about Heroic Conservatism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heroic Conservatism

Christian Hamaker
Outstanding. Honest and inspirational, in a way that drives politically active people nuts. Gerson's argument is primarily moral, which doesn't go down easy in an area defined as "the art of compromise." But I find it difficult to argue with Gerson. I've read other critiques of his work, and those critiques are often thoughtful, scoring points at Gerson's expense, but fairly. Still, what a refreshing conviction Gerson brings to political problems, and what a great writer he is. I know his co-spe ...more
Thomas Kidd
I became aware of Gerson in the 90s and had great hopes when he became speechwriter for President G.W.Bush. However, my increasing leanings toward libertarianism and anti-war politics caused me to reassess my appreciation of Gerson and Bush 43. This book did not change that reassessment totally, but it might have softened the edges of my criticism. I appreciate Gerson's desire that government be a force for good and his stated affirmation of Catholic Political Philosophy (and European Christian ...more
David
Nov 28, 2012 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not only a good read, but an important book. Gerson calls for a humane American vision--one based upon our highest ideals. He is concerned for the dignity of women, the weak, and those that society's elites at both extremes would like to ignore.

He explains much of what George Bush accomplished and the motives behind those policy decisions. I believe that when and if sanity returns to college and university campuses and to American institutions that history will affirm as heroic and compassionate
Francelle
Jul 12, 2008 Francelle rated it really liked it
I admire Gerson's human perspective on politics and government. He is an idealist to the core. This book is reviving the idealist in me, and making me rethink my opinion of Bush and current and past U.S. government activities in the world.
Kevin
Jul 05, 2012 Kevin rated it liked it
I wound up finishing it, and I would recommend it as an apologetic for the Bush administration. I didn't agree with all of Gerson's (or Bush's) positions, actions, or goals, but I certainly can have more respect for them as a consistent expression of a certain philosophy now.
Wes Carpenter
Apr 13, 2008 Wes Carpenter rated it liked it
Interesting look at conscious conservatism that seeks social justice. Also one perspective on the Bush White House.
Auh2o 1964
Jul 29, 2010 Auh2o 1964 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010
Meh. On domestic issues, he sounds a lot like a democrat. Seems to conflate the role of the church and the state, don't reccomend it.
Jerry
Jerry rated it liked it
Nov 10, 2013
Bill
Bill rated it it was ok
Sep 14, 2008
Jim Jewell
Jim Jewell rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2010
Jesse Murray
Jesse Murray rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2017
Naum
Naum rated it it was ok
May 12, 2011
Mark
Mark rated it did not like it
Jul 25, 2011
Emily K
Emily K rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2009
Mark
Mark rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2012
Derrick Jeter
Derrick Jeter rated it liked it
Oct 06, 2013
Casey
Casey rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2015
Elliot
Elliot rated it liked it
Aug 13, 2012
John
John rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2012
Robert(Bob)
Robert(Bob) rated it liked it
Feb 26, 2008
Laurenellen McCann
Laurenellen McCann rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2011
Jeff Wills
Jeff Wills rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2015
Marcus Brown
Marcus Brown rated it really liked it
May 03, 2013
Briapedia
Briapedia rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2008
Adam Fogle
Adam Fogle rated it did not like it
Jul 04, 2016
Robert Christian
Robert Christian rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2012
Cory
Cory rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2013
Patrick Mulcahy
Patrick Mulcahy rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2011
Daniel
Daniel rated it liked it
Nov 26, 2012
Raymond Barfield
Raymond Barfield rated it really liked it
May 21, 2015
Michael John Gerson is an op-ed columnist for The Washington Post and a senior fellow at the Council on Foreign Relations. He served as President George W. Bush's chief speechwriter from 2001 until June 2006, as a senior policy advisor from 2000 through June 2006, and was a member of the White House Iraq Group.
More about Michael J. Gerson...