Burlesque and the Art of the Teese / Fetish and the Art of the Teese

Burlesque and the Art of the Teese / Fetish and the Art of the Teese

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  743 ratings  ·  66 reviews
On one side, Dita Von Teese shares the beauty of the burlesque world, with bubblegum dreams and show tunes to strip to. Flip over for fantasies in fetish with dramatic costumes and the allure of submission.

Burlesque and the Art of the Teese"I advocate glamour. Every day. Every minute."

I'm a good dancer and a nice girl, but I'm a great showgirl. I sell, in a word, magic. B...more
Published March 14th 2006 by It Books (first published January 1st 2006)

Be the first to ask a question about Burlesque and the Art of the Teese / Fetish and the Art of the Teese

Teishabug
I absolutely adore Dita Von Teese, and her commitment to all things burlesque and retro. This book was wonderful, and not just for the beautiful pictures and costume. There was a quite a lot of history mixed in with the how-to. I've always been fascinated with burlesque and that era of fashion. It was all about glamour 24/7. You didn't just dress up to go out, you dressed to the nines to pick up milk at the grocery store. It also explain the difference between stripping in early history, compare...more
Terri
The mistress of keeping it on, not taking it off, Dita Von Teese truly is living art. A goddess. A muse. A femme fatale. Beautiful and real and charismatic in all the right doses. No spray on tans, fake beauty and hard body here. Just the real thing. Like it used to be. Soft and feminine. Power without the muscles, sexy without the fake and erotica without the money shot.
This book is simply stunning. Not huge focus on text, although there is plenty to read on both arts, but it is huge on persona...more
Sally
Lots of pretty pictures in this but the written part is like a summer school prep for those ready to start burlesque or fetish 101. I liked it but it isn't an in depth look at either subject.

Visually it is stunning and I appreciated Dita's normalising of fetish and the information about Bettie Page, as I knew little about her before.
Krystle
The writing, at times, can leave much to be desired. It's somewhere between Dita talking about herself and about burlesque/fetish themselves, but it never goes too terribly in-depth on either.

And it's probably worth mentioning that the burlesque half is significantly more interesting to read about. That half can at least teach you some of the history of—and significant media associated with—burlesque, while the fetish half has little-to-nothing to offer (for me, at least).

Of course, I must admit...more
Dawn
This is a beautiful book about Dita Von Teese. She details her fascination with burlesque and fetish, how she managed to make a career of it and some of the history. There are some suggestions about how to dress like her and what to do to become a burlesque dancer but by far the best part of this book are the beautiful pictures of Dita herself.
Sophie Knightly
I have always loved Dita Von Teese. The book is well written and gives a wonderful history of both burlesque and fetish.

She captivated me in her own words - "I sell magic." I know that I need a little 'magic' in my life. While we live in the wonderful era of discovery and invention, I still believe that we crave magic and illusion.

Please don't misunderstand - Dita Von Teese is a showgirl who thoroughly understands the art of presentation and performance, but equally (and maybe surprisingly), she...more
Victoria Price
A great introduction to the duel worlds of Burlesque (good girl) and Fetish (bad girl). There are some charming pictures of Von Teese plus a decent history of burlesque and the major characters who have formed part of Von Teese's identity.
Nastia Turliai
I've never been a fan of Dita, really. I just decided to read the book out of boredom, but it turned out to be emotional and informative. As a person who takes delight in history, I could say the book was a jewel, as those 1920-1950 times are depicted so vividly in the book. And surely advises to women who want to be familiar with Dita and with all of those pin-up stars are quite useful. Dita is gorgeous, I love her style and this sexy and dramatic vibe, and the fact that she's a stripper makes...more
Lilah
The writing: The burlesque half presents a history of the bump and grind, interspersed with memories of Dita's formative lingerie-shop years along with fashion tips and beauty icons from the 20's through the 50's, overall pretty cute. Less good was the shorter fetish half, which came off bland and geared for the lowest common denominator, complete with a groanworthy definition of the word "feminist." But Dita's a shrewd businesswoman, and the readers are just more marks at the rail, no? Definite...more
Pamela
After having known about Lily st Cyr ever since those red lips sang about her (those lips of course belonging to the intro for Rocky Horror Picture show) I have had a passing interest in burlesque / clothing as a fetish for a very long time (why else would Frank n furter have adorned himself that corset and pearl set?) I had some prior knowledge of such things for nearly 10 years (I have also previously designed gothic clothing for a college fashion/textiles project) I first read the book when i...more
Emma
I heard of Dita Von Teese years ago, when she was famous for being Marilyn Manson's girlfriend and exposing her boobs a lot. There is a whole lot more to her than that. More recently, she has attracted me for her retro style and her meticulously perfect looks. Judging from this book, she's totally dedicated and passionate about her art. Burlesque isn't something to be looked down upon. It's an art form and the pictures themselves left me very impressed. Dita has a true devotion to her art. The t...more
John
A great mixture of photos of Dita, some autobiographical notes and a lot of history of the Burlesque scene in America. Even though there was plenty of text I could have coped with even more, but beyond that a pleasure to read and very inspirational

Just to break it down some, the book is a real snip at the price, it could have commanded double what the list price let alone the bargain I picked it up for. The quality of the paper and the binding are superb and the text and images punchy.

If you ar...more
Paula Mckinley
Dita is a muse of both the history of Burlesque as well as all things fetish and beauty. A delightful book that serve duel audiences of cheesecakes and fetish lovers. As this is my first book in the genre it was a perfect book. The images are stunning, and the information great. It felt like Dita was my very own fairy godmother introducing me to a world of beauty, dance, and finding your inner fetish/beauty.
Pebble Loong
The burl-q, the prohibition-era & it's gentlest admonishments.
Jasmine
Sep 25, 2007 Jasmine added it
Recommends it for: Yowza! any burley-q fan
what a pretty picture book. and an inspiration. i've always said i want to be a pin-up when i grow up, and now is apparently the time, cause boy howdy have i been study every nook and cranny. of this book too :)

she is gorgeous. I saw her strutin aroung the santa Monica vintage Expo back in the days when she was just Marilyn Mansons girlfriend. She was dressed to the nines, and playboy was there to interview here. Quite a luscious little libra lady...

Thanks to Tom & Gail, this book is in my c...more
Iris
Oct 12, 2009 Iris rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: visual
What a dear, dear lass is this Von Teese.

This is a big coffee-table book of gorgeous fashion and a lovely figure. In addition to myriad photographs, a co-writer provides endearing histories of the 20th Century's most famous showgirls and shows, and Dita instructs the reader on how to apply a full face of makeup like Gypsy Rose Lee. She's also refreshingly candid about the effort, cash, and plastic surgery required by this line of work.
Redfox5
This book is filled with lots of beautiful photos of the stunning Dita Von Teese. I enjoyed the Burlesque photos more than the Fetish ones. I don't like how some of those photos turned out and the leopord skin outfit was awful. Must perfer the sparkle and glitz of the Burlesque scene. I like that she's mixed in the story of her life with the history of Burlesque and Fetish. This book is a keeper.
Lea Rodney
Although her line of work may not always be understood, this book is an insight into someone's passion for their craft, the lost art of glamour and the taboo field of fetishism. The book was constructed splendidly; featuring beautiful photos, history lessons, and a break down of how her art enriched her being. For the curious or the familiar of DVT, I highly recommend checking this book out.
Jodie-Lee
What with Dita being one of my biggest role models there wasn't a chance that I WASN'T going to like this book. However, what I wasn't expecting was the mixture of elegance and raw sexuality in the book, reminding me of the works of De Sade. The entire book seems to be a lesson in class, sensuality and history all from the mouth of one of the only true Ladies we have today.
Jennie
Sep 06, 2007 Jennie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Pin up and dita fans
Shelves: specialintrests
Dita Von Teese is a Classy Goddess. This book is wonderful and opens your eyes to her inspirations from the momment she was a child till now. The photos of Dita are captivating and artistic. The colors vibrant and alive in The art of the Teese. Provocative and alluring in the Fetish side. a fabulous book to read. and a beautiful and wonderful artist that created it.
Tara
A great coffee table book with Dita's story about how she got into burlesque and modeling. She also presents an interesting history of burlesque, including slang. I liked that the book was split into Burlesque and Fetish, though the Fetish section could have been more intense. Dita explains fetish, glamour and sex appeal in an easy to read and personal way.
Cassie
Apr 14, 2013 Cassie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: burgeoning burlesques
Recommended to Cassie by: book store
Shelves: non-fiction, erotica
Dita's book reads as more of a coffee-table/art book than an actual how-to or memoir, but what tips and tricks are included are interesting. The photos alone are worth getting the book; Miss Von Teese writes with a little sweetness that is both endearing and a little pretentious, but nothing too over-cloying that would prevent me from reading this again.
Lea
This was a pretty interesting book, I enjoyed reading it. Sometimes the narrative style was a bit annoying and Dita seemed a bit pretentious, but hey, this book is all about her trademark and building upon her persona so it's understandable. As she says, it's all about creating an illusion! Overall a good read, entertaining and amusing.
Bobby
I was actually surprised at how much writing there was in this book; a very shallow delve into the world of burlesque as well as what seems like a potted and cliched guide to fetishes. Neither is all that informative but, honestly, I'd be lying if I said I wanted this beautiful book for much other than the pictures.
Mark Farley
A two-sided photographic tour of the world of modern American burlesque and fetish includes in the first part a cultural history of burlesque complemented by the author's provocative tips on erotic fashion and sensuality, and in the second part a photographic celebration of fetish style.
Ashley
Jun 04, 2007 Ashley rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of retro fashion
Dita Von Teese is gorgeous and this amazing coffee table book is loaded with portraits of her remarkable body and perfectly painted face. This book offered insights about burlesque and how it grew from secret shows to a cultural phenomenon, but the stunning photography is the main draw.
Laura Obscura
The images in this book are amazing. Dita's love for vintage is clear in her extensive knowledge of historical beauty. However, it doesn't take many pages to realize how unimportant being beautiful really is. Take it with a really pretty little grain of salt.
Sebastien
This book is excellent. The photographs and costumes are amazing, and, to my delight and surprise, Dita accompanies the photo work with insightful commentary and stories, both of a personal and historical nature.

This book is definitely worth owning!
Lauren
Totaly loved this book, historically very interesting, visually stunning and crativly brilliant. The Fetish section is also fascinating as I imagine that 99% of people out there have fetish items in their cupboards without even realising it!
Denise
This dual book is amazingly beautiful to look at as well as read all of the beauty tips and history associated with the world of Burlesque. Every girl will love to read this and laugh your way through the naughty lessons and tips of the trade!
  • The Great American Pin-Up
  • SuicideGirls
  • The Complete Pin-Ups
  • Historical Fashion in Detail: The 17th and 18th Centuries
  • Jazz Age Beauties: The Lost Collection of Ziegfeld Photographer Alfred Cheney Johnston
  • Gypsy: Memoirs of America's Most Celebrated Stripper
  • Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty
  • The Polaroid Book: Selections from the Polaroid Collections of Photography
  • Nineteenth-Century Fashion in Detail
  • Gothic and Lolita
Dita Von Teese (born Heather Renée Sweet) is a popular American burlesque artist, model and actress.

She is one of the instigators of the burlesque revival and has been a considerable factor in bringing burlesque to mainstream attention. Her fame increased during her relationship with Marilyn Manson, to whom she was married from 2005 to 2007.
More about Dita Von Teese...
Stripteese Fetish Goddess Dita Your Beauty Mark: All You Need to Get the Hair, Makeup, Glow, and Glam Advanced Style Bunny Yeager's Darkroom: Pin-up Photography's Golden Era

“The new acts' major influences were movies and their curvy queens Brigitte Bardot and Marilyn Monroe. With their big blonde hair, ample breasts, and highly fertile hips, these bombshells inspired women everywhere to exxagerate their own voluptuousness.” 16 likes
“Would you believe I devise my entire show based upon a single one of these jewels? It's true I choose a color from my collection (...) and with it I can imagine a whole world.” 6 likes