Start by marking “Rameau's Nephew, and Other Works” as Want to Read:
Rameau's Nephew, and Other Works

Rameau's Nephew, and Other Works

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  43 ratings  ·  4 reviews
This anthology features unabridged translations of Diderot's best work as a literary artist, including those writings that embody his most original and influential ideas.
Published March 15th 2001 by Hackett Publishing Company, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Rameau's Nephew, and Other Works, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rameau's Nephew, and Other Works

Adrian Colesberry
As a scientist, I have to say that I enjoyed D'Alembert's Dream even more than the justly famous Rameau's nephew, despite the stilted style of the dialogue in D'Alembert's Dream. I'm a huge fan of Darwin and it's salutary to read works like DD to see how these ideas that he brought to their full fruit had such currency pretty long before he arrived on the scene. The discussion on the homologous tissues of the sexual organs and the other sexual issued discussed were shockingly modern. I have not ...more
Matthew Summers
It's going to take me a few reads to get all that is to be had from this book. I see the potential, but don't have the time right now to give it the attention it deserves. Three stars for now, more or less to come later.
Mary

One of those books I read in college of which I can now only remember bits. I do, however, remember enjoying it as a tale of a young Parisian intellectual and subversive.
Richard
Rameau is the Underground Man with without all the doom and gloom...not that the Russians ought to be more lighthearted. I hear it's terrible over there.
Pijus Valiukenas
Pijus Valiukenas marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2015
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Avashni Dass
Avashni Dass marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2015
Mikko
Mikko marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Olivia
Olivia marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
Printable Tire
Printable Tire marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Louise
Louise marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Freedominique
Freedominique marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Andrew Niederhauser
Andrew Niederhauser marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Len Pollard
Len Pollard marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Blair Immink
Blair Immink marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Caitie
Caitie marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Sandeep Soodan
Sandeep Soodan marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Per Kristian Hoff
Per Kristian Hoff marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Denis Diderot (October 5, 1713 – July 31, 1784) was a French philosopher, art critic, and writer. He was a prominent persona during the Enlightenment and is best known for serving as co-founder and chief editor of and contributor to the Encyclopédie.
Diderot also contributed to literature, notably with Jacques le fataliste et son maître (Jacques the Fatalist and his Master), which emulated Laurence
More about Denis Diderot...
Jacques the Fatalist The Nun Rameau's Nephew / D'Alembert's Dream Le neveu de Rameau Supplément au Voyage de Bougainville