Start by marking “Gumshoe” as Want to Read:
Gumshoe

Gumshoe

Gumshoe is a blackly comic novella from Paul D. Brazill, author of Guns Of Brixton and Roman - Dalton - Werewolf PI.

Gumshoe is the short, sharp story of Peter Ord, a divorced teacher who decides to become a private detective in fading 'one-whore-town' somewhere in the north-east of England. Dark farce and tragicomedy ensue.
Published July 18th 2013 by Pulp Metal Fiction

To ask other readers questions about Gumshoe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gumshoe

Kevintipple
Jan 23, 2014 Kevintipple rated it it was amazing
New Year’s Day would be ugly enough thanks to the hangover if it wasn’t made worse by neighbors playing a certain and very annoying U2 song over and over. Fortunately in Seatown, a fading town on the northeast coast of England, Peter Ord, can pick up a few bucks here and there as a private investigator so that he can buy the booze and pills he needs to function. Look up self-medicating patient in the dictionary and there would be his name and a picture as he fits the classic definition. Despite ...more
Keith Nixon
Jul 25, 2013 Keith Nixon rated it it was amazing
Another piece of sharp writing from the consistently excellent Mr Brazill. In this sharply focused novella we meet Peter Ord, PI. He wakes up drunk, just lost his job and his wife. He decides on a career change, but he needs work. And so Peter, with his tongue firmly in his cheek, embarks on a series of short, sharp investigations on behalf of the various criminal elements that infest the underbelly of Seatown.

Excellent, entertaining stuff.
Tony
Dec 16, 2013 Tony rated it it was amazing
I enjoy reading crime noir but a lot of the stories I enjoy have a distinctly American voice. Mr Brazill manages to get that same feel with a obviously British feel. A lot of Brazill’s stories are set in the fictional seaside town in the north east of England called Seatown. I grew up in the south east near the coast and I recognized every single character. I’ve never met a detective but I do know people that have been asked to do some of the dubious tasks undertaken by Peter Ord. Some of the ...more
Darren Sant
Jul 31, 2013 Darren Sant rated it it was amazing
Gumshoe is the story of part time Private Eye (full time alcoholic) Peter Ord. Gumshoe is a collection cases artfully woven together with humour as the bedrock. You have to be sharper than a filleting knife to catch all the jokes and puns. Like a child with a pointed stick Paul D. Brazill stands beneath the hornet’s nest that is the noir genre and prods it until something drops out.

Gumshoe sees the author at his most playful as Ord shambles from one interconnected case to the next. I suppose the
Liam Sweeny
Nov 17, 2013 Liam Sweeny rated it it was amazing
Peter Ord is Seatown's greatest PI - actually, he's probably Seatown's only PI. A small, isolated pit of a place on the northeast coast of England, Seatown is awash in pollution, pubs and Poundland stores (Dollar stores.) There are the attractions - like Velvettes, the strip club owned by Jack Martin, Peter's sometimes employer. Like any decomposing city, Seatown has its share of maggots.

Peter Ord is in some ways, a maggot himself. An alcoholic, divorced, he makes by on the carrion of desperate
K.A. Laity
Jul 25, 2013 K.A. Laity rated it it was amazing
I reviewed Brazill’s novella Guns of Brixton recently too; both show his trademark humour and inevitably ramshackle criminal capers mixed with violent shenanigans. Unlike the frantic pace of that London-based knot of intertwined stories, the northern setting of Gumshoe offers a more laconic pace which suits the humour even better and makes the stark failures a little more (dare I say it?) poignant. As Vic & Bob can tell you, Northern doesn’t always travel well down to the sunny climes. Their ...more
Warren Stalley
Oct 07, 2013 Warren Stalley rated it it was amazing
Peter Ord, the same character from Who Killed Skippy? (Mammoth Book of Best British Crime 10) returns in a short novella from Paul D Brazill. This time Ord is a cut price private eye in a desolate English north east town. The author’s sense of humour runs through this tale, mixing sharp one liners, comic situations and dazzling word play. With deceptive ease I was pulled into the story smiling, laughing and grimacing at the situations that the lead character found himself in. Lurching from one ...more
A Reader's Heaven

I did enjoy this story - in the usual Paul D. Brazill way, there is plenty of action, humour and drinking. I just didn't like it as much as some of his other work.

Paul
ARH
Kay Robinson
Jul 19, 2016 Kay Robinson rated it really liked it
These rambling memoirs of Peter Orde PI makes the reader wonder how on earth he decided on his new career. Especially when the job takes him into the world of shady nightclubs where he doesn't seem to be able to keep off the drink, or off the girls. The apparent lack of seeing one case through to the end had me a little lost. I've read far better from this author.
Edward
Feb 08, 2014 Edward rated it really liked it
Shelves: noir, crime
Brazill writes with a needle full of black humor and pure grade grit straight into the arm of the reader. I'm enjoying his style.
Shirley
Feb 14, 2014 Shirley rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime
I smiled, I grinned, I LOL. Interesting cast of characters. Loved the ending.
Sandra
Jan 03, 2016 Sandra rated it it was ok
Despite this being a free download and one I hoped to enjoy more than I did, since I live in the area, it was too far removed from the genres I more usually read. Way too blokey, too quick-fire and more than a bit disjointed. It certainly galloped along at a breath-taking pace, scattering similes like grit from a wheelie (a style that is obviously catching - usually I can't do that!)
C. Kempe
C. Kempe rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2014
Phillip Thompson
Phillip Thompson rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2014
Martin Stanley
Martin Stanley rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2013
Walter Conley
Walter Conley rated it it was amazing
Dec 18, 2013
Kathe
Kathe rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2014
Joanne
Joanne rated it it was amazing
Veronica
Veronica rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2014
Seana
Seana marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2013
Hilary
Hilary marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2013
Jocelyne Rousseau
Jocelyne Rousseau is currently reading it
Oct 18, 2013
Ben
Ben marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2013
Kristin Fouquet
Kristin Fouquet marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2013
Rory Costello
Rory Costello marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2013
Jonathan Peto
Jonathan Peto marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2014
Jason Beech
Jason Beech marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2014
E.Michael Helms
E.Michael Helms marked it as to-read
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Urmika
Urmika marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Noelle
Noelle marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Gef
Gef marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2014
Lisa Ciarfella
Lisa Ciarfella marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2015
Deb Jacobson
Deb Jacobson marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Alan Rainey
Alan Rainey marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
Paul D. Brazill is the author of A Case Of Noir, Guns Of Brixton & Roman Dalton- Werewolf PI. He was born in England and lives in Poland.

He is an International Thriller Writers Inc member whose writing has been translated into Italian, Polish and Slovene.

He has had writing published in various magazines and anthologies, including The Mammoth Books of Best British Crime 8,10 and 11, alongside
More about Paul D. Brazill...