Start by marking “A Risk Worth Taking” as Want to Read:
A Risk Worth Taking

A Risk Worth Taking

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  688 ratings  ·  83 reviews
Dan Porter had it all: a big house in suburban London, a beautiful wife, three children in private school, and a high-paying job. But then, it all collapsed like a house of cards. Now Dan stays home while his angry wife pursues a career, and his marriage falters. Returning to his old profession could mend the rift, but Dan needs to do something else, something more...

Published March 1st 2005 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about A Risk Worth Taking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Risk Worth Taking

I enjoyed this book for its contrasting settings and characters. The main character is Dan Porter who faces problems the rest of us confront too. He is a man who cares about his family and enjoys his career. Quite suddenly he loses his job in a dot com crash. After about 20 years of marriage Dan and his wife find they have different goals. Dan's wife, Jackie, turns to another man and to her job. Dan goes to rural Scotland for one day to check into a business venture and ends up staying much long ...more
I still think Robin Pilcher writes great stories, and I like his characters. I have decided that I'm a little tired of the fact that many of his books include infidelity/adultery. I think I will choose very carefully which of his books I read in the future.
Dan, the main character, was a really noble, sweet guy. He was without work for quite a bit, which really bothered his wife, Jackie. This would bother me too! Jackie complained that Dan's lack of a job/not looking for a job--caused her to lose respect for him. She was unfaithful, not a great mother, not much of a homemaker, and an average businesswoman.

Dan left their home in London to venture to Scotland to see about buying an up and coming clothing business. He ended up befriending a wonderful
I liked the book, it was a nice light read. While the story had great possibilities they were not fully explored and the ending was too abrupt.
Sandy Denholm
I am always drawn to books like this one. The characters are so well rounded and easy to like. The description of life in both Scotland and London make me want to hop on a plane and go myself. Writing like this always leaves me feeling satisfied and happy.
Nessa Flax
I am delighted to have "discovered" Robin Pilcher, Rosamunde Pilcher's son. Given that he is the best-selling author's offspring, one might assume his books got a leg up based on this mother's fame. But this is not the case. Robin Pilcher's writing is first-class, and his "voice" is his own.

At the risk of sounding sexist, I generally prefer female authors when it comes to books with a focus on relationships and domestic life. Women generally have a sensibility of the inner emotional life that re
I liked this. I liked it because it was simple, and heartwarming, and really miles away from being as good as his mothers stuff (the author is Rosamunde Pilchers son) - so it stood on it's own.

You could climb into this book and pretend you were shivering on a wet Scotland meadow, trying to learn how to run a new business and fit in and finding comfort in your children and your sense that this was where you were supposed to be.

I read it in a day. A quick novel.
Pamela Darling
This is my idea of an easy-going good read. It is a STORY which is quite different to some books where we have to concentrate in case we miss something! No one really gets hurt, but Robin Pilcher writes in such a way that I wanted to pick the book up again as soon as possible to find out what happens next. I would recommend it for a holiday read.
This story is gripping. This couple is in a difficult place in their relationship, and they both make choices and take risks.

I really enjoyed this book. It was exciting but not at all predictable. Nothing turned out as I had expected.

The main character, Dan took quite a journey and more than one risk.

I highly reccommend this book.
Dan Porter lives in suburban London with his wife and three children. As a two-income family, Dan and his wife Rebecca were basically living in the dream world they expected to create for themselves. But Dan lost his job months ago and now the initial welcome felt by a wife and children in having a stay-at-home husband and father while he looked for work has worn off. As Dan begins to sort through his own feelings of guilt in not finding employment he also begins to question what type of work he ...more
 Northern Light
Dan had a perfect life with his wife and family and a high-powered job in the city when he is made redundant and for the first time in his life doesn't know what to do. His wife is too busy with her job which includes foreign travel to notice how hard it is for him. His mother gives him a magazine for the recipe and he reads and article which will change everything.

I enjoyed this book which is a quick light read and the scenes in Scotland are written well giving you the feeling that you are real
A Risk Worth Taking was recommended to me by my mother. The author is the son of the famous author Rosamunde Pilcher.

Dan has recently been downsized from his job. He has moved his family to the suburbs of London. His wife Jackie picks up the slack by getting a job with Rebecca Towelworth Designs. Is there more going on with her job than meets the eye? They have three children Josh, Nina, and Millie. The girls hate their school and constantly complain to their father. Meanwhile Josh spen
This is Robin Pilcher's third novel. I thoroughly enjoyed his first two; he's my favourite author Rosamunde Pilcher's son, and while his writing is sometimes cruder than hers, and the endings tend to be left rather open, I still find the style eminently readable and his characters likeable. Perhaps it's typical of a male author that the men seem mostly real and the women rather caricatured.

It's the story of a marriage with problems that aren't likely to be resolved. I didn't like it as much as t
I was disappointed in this, Pilcher’s third novel. The story line had good possibilities, but I don’t think they were well developed. Dan Porter lives in London with his wife Jackie and three teenaged children. Jackie is beautiful and a highly successful managing director for a clothing designer, Rebecca Talworth Design Ltd. Dan has been a fairly successful businessman until he has recently been laid off. Jackie thinks Dan is lazy and uninterested in finding a new job, and has the same opinion ...more
Rebecca Russell
Having read a few Novels by Rosamunde Pilcher, which had great story lines, but were a too heavy on descriptive detail for my tastes, I was hesitant to try Robin Pilcher's book.
I was so pleasantly surprised!
Mr. Pilcher has as great a capacity to convey characters as his mother did and he does so with humor and realism and complete believability. He perfectly paced this book, so the story pulls you along effortlessly and the characters become friends.
I will definitely seek out more of Mr. Pilche
Cat Reads
This was a predictable, straight-forward, and simplistic story, with writing that was nothing close to complex or anything to write home about and characters that weren't all that well-rounded. It was a good story, but nothing that I'd ever go back to read again.
Reminiscent of Maeve Benchy in style...lovely evocation of Scottish coastal area and fairly well-developed characters. The plot built momentum, but started off slowly and I got bogged down in the drudgery and dysfunction of the main family at the beginning of the book, so skimmed through some pages. By the middle, I was hooked, but it shouldn't take that long.

Protagonist is an out-of-work London financier whose wife is not at all understanding of his situation or his values, and this disdain rub
Misty Burkett
I did not like this book at all. I never got attached to any of the characters. I kept reading hoping the story would become even remotely intetesting but halfway through I gave up. I rarely do not finish a book but this is one I couldn't bare till the end.
I really liked the setting of the story taking place first in London, then the Highlands of Scotland. Dan, the main character, once a successful businessman, loses his job and finds himself a house husband while his wife focuses more and more on her career. He finds he no longer knows his 2 daughters and son plus his relationship with his wife has grown quite strained. When an opportunity for short term work opens up in Scotland, he, his son Josh and the two dogs go for it. They make wonderful f ...more
The dialogue in this book left something to be desired--pretty trite in places. But I really enjoyed the story of people taking chances to start over, and was intrigued by the settings.
Loved it except the ending was too abrupt. He certainly has the skill to become as good as his mother especially in writing from a man's perspective.
This is a quick read. I like books set in the UK so enjoyed that part of it. The only characters who rang true are Dan and his Mom. Flluffy.
I love the chance to escape to Scotland, but I'm not sure this was the best way to go. I just didn't really like any of the characters.
Another book finished for my scottish book challenge for 2014. I'm enjoying my revisits to lots of pilcher books. Just barely remember them from the first time.
Sheri Peek
Picked this up at a used book sale because I loved his Mother's writing. I will look for more of his work in the future.
A nice relaxing read. I will probably read more of his books. Enjoyed his mom's books.
Wilmina Davis
A good enough story that I mostly enjoyed, but one plot twist near the end was just so improbable that it spoiled it for me.
This story was good, very good. Robin Pilcher continues to impress me as a writer, but I cannot give it more than three stars, as good as the story is, the ending left me wanting, unsatisfied. Yes, alll the ends were tied up and I can't tell you what more |I expected, but I was just startled that the books was finished when it was. (I was reading on my I-Pad, so really had no knowledge of where the end of the book was.)
I must say that I like all of the charachers, especially the main character D
did not like this book at all.
  • Home for the Holidays (Tales From Grace Chapel Inn, #7)
  • The Empty House
  • The Spirit of the Season (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #21)
  • Oh My Baby, Little One
  • The Way We Were
  • Building Blocks
  • Christmas: A Candid History
  • We Have This Moment (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #11)
  • Church: Why Bother?: My Personal Pilgrimage
  • Hidden History (Tales From Grace Chapel Inn, #4)
  • Recipes & Wooden Spoons (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #3)
  • Courage and Calling: Embracing Your God-Given Potential
  • God Thinks You're Wonderful
  • Courage
  • Firebird
  • The Heartbreaker
  • Oh, Baby, the Places You'll Go!
Robin Pilcher was born on 10 August 1950, the eldest son of author Rosamunde Pilcher, née Scott (aka Jane Fraser) and Graham Hope Pilcher, also he had a brother and two sisters. He has been a cameraman, a songwriter, and a farmer, co-managed a mail order business, and has had numerous other jobs. He lives with his wife and children near Dundee, Scotland, and in the Sierra de Aracena mountain area ...more
More about Robin Pilcher...