Start by marking “A Risk Worth Taking” as Want to Read:
A Risk Worth Taking

A Risk Worth Taking

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  617 ratings  ·  71 reviews
Dan Porter had it all: a big house in suburban London, a beautiful wife, three children in private school, and a high-paying job. But then, it all collapsed like a house of cards. Now Dan stays home while his angry wife pursues a career, and his marriage falters. Returning to his old profession could mend the rift, but Dan needs to do something else, something more...

Then,
Published March 1st 2005 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about A Risk Worth Taking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Risk Worth Taking

Heather
I still think Robin Pilcher writes great stories, and I like his characters. I have decided that I'm a little tired of the fact that many of his books include infidelity/adultery. I think I will choose very carefully which of his books I read in the future.
Sandy Denholm
I am always drawn to books like this one. The characters are so well rounded and easy to like. The description of life in both Scotland and London make me want to hop on a plane and go myself. Writing like this always leaves me feeling satisfied and happy.
daysgoby
I liked this. I liked it because it was simple, and heartwarming, and really miles away from being as good as his mothers stuff (the author is Rosamunde Pilchers son) - so it stood on it's own.

You could climb into this book and pretend you were shivering on a wet Scotland meadow, trying to learn how to run a new business and fit in and finding comfort in your children and your sense that this was where you were supposed to be.

I read it in a day. A quick novel.
 Northern Light
Dan had a perfect life with his wife and family and a high-powered job in the city when he is made redundant and for the first time in his life doesn't know what to do. His wife is too busy with her job which includes foreign travel to notice how hard it is for him. His mother gives him a magazine for the recipe and he reads and article which will change everything.

I enjoyed this book which is a quick light read and the scenes in Scotland are written well giving you the feeling that you are real
Jencey/
A Risk Worth Taking was recommended to me by my mother. The author is the son of the famous author Rosamunde Pilcher.

Synopsis:
Dan has recently been downsized from his job. He has moved his family to the suburbs of London. His wife Jackie picks up the slack by getting a job with Rebecca Towelworth Designs. Is there more going on with her job than meets the eye? They have three children Josh, Nina, and Millie. The girls hate their school and constantly complain to their father. Meanwhile Josh spen
Sue
This is Robin Pilcher's third novel. I thoroughly enjoyed his first two; he's my favourite author Rosamunde Pilcher's son, and while his writing is sometimes cruder than hers, and the endings tend to be left rather open, I still find the style eminently readable and his characters likeable. Perhaps it's typical of a male author that the men seem mostly real and the women rather caricatured.

It's the story of a marriage with problems that aren't likely to be resolved. I didn't like it as much as t
Linda
I was disappointed in this, Pilcher’s third novel. The story line had good possibilities, but I don’t think they were well developed. Dan Porter lives in London with his wife Jackie and three teenaged children. Jackie is beautiful and a highly successful managing director for a clothing designer, Rebecca Talworth Design Ltd. Dan has been a fairly successful businessman until he has recently been laid off. Jackie thinks Dan is lazy and uninterested in finding a new job, and has the same opinion ...more
Lorrie
Dan, the main character, was a really noble, sweet guy. He was without work for quite a bit, which really bothered his wife, Jackie. This would bother me too! Jackie complained that Dan's lack of a job/not looking for a job--caused her to lose respect for him. She was unfaithful, not a great mother, not much of a homemaker, and an average businesswoman.

Dan left their home in London to venture to Scotland to see about buying an up and coming clothing business. He ended up befriending a wonderful
Cat Reads
This was a predictable, straight-forward, and simplistic story, with writing that was nothing close to complex or anything to write home about and characters that weren't all that well-rounded. It was a good story, but nothing that I'd ever go back to read again.
Elizabeth
Reminiscent of Maeve Benchy in style...lovely evocation of Scottish coastal area and fairly well-developed characters. The plot built momentum, but started off slowly and I got bogged down in the drudgery and dysfunction of the main family at the beginning of the book, so skimmed through some pages. By the middle, I was hooked, but it shouldn't take that long.

Protagonist is an out-of-work London financier whose wife is not at all understanding of his situation or his values, and this disdain rub
Kristine
I really liked the setting of the story taking place first in London, then the Highlands of Scotland. Dan, the main character, once a successful businessman, loses his job and finds himself a house husband while his wife focuses more and more on her career. He finds he no longer knows his 2 daughters and son plus his relationship with his wife has grown quite strained. When an opportunity for short term work opens up in Scotland, he, his son Josh and the two dogs go for it. They make wonderful f ...more
Carlin
Loved it except the ending was too abrupt. He certainly has the skill to become as good as his mother especially in writing from a man's perspective.
Kw
I love the chance to escape to Scotland, but I'm not sure this was the best way to go. I just didn't really like any of the characters.
Julie
Another book finished for my scottish book challenge for 2014. I'm enjoying my revisits to lots of pilcher books. Just barely remember them from the first time.
Sheri Peek
Picked this up at a used book sale because I loved his Mother's writing. I will look for more of his work in the future.
Karin
A nice relaxing read. I will probably read more of his books. Enjoyed his mom's books.
Jean
This story was good, very good. Robin Pilcher continues to impress me as a writer, but I cannot give it more than three stars, as good as the story is, the ending left me wanting, unsatisfied. Yes, alll the ends were tied up and I can't tell you what more |I expected, but I was just startled that the books was finished when it was. (I was reading on my I-Pad, so really had no knowledge of where the end of the book was.)
I must say that I like all of the charachers, especially the main character D
ChrisGA
Carol
This is his first novel. The story is about a high flying financle guy from England who looses his job and doesn't want to get back into the rat race. His wife, who has a good job too, pushes him after a year to GET A JOB. He reads about a company in Scotland and is interested. He goes there only to find the company sold. But he loves the family he meets and area and they ask him to help run their other business because the husband has MS. And that's enough you'll have to read to find out how it ...more
Jeri
What do you do when you're successful, then lose your job and your marriage is on the rocks. This man moved to a lonely cottage in Scotland with his son and two dogs. There he learned that he was needed and worthwhile -- by many around him.
She's not the writer her mother is but has potential. Interesting plot and characterizations in an "age old" story.
I'm a big fan of Rosamunde Pilcher's books (some more than others, as with any author, especially a prolific one). So when her son Robin threw his hat in the ring, I was definitely intrigued. I've read three of his novels now and this one might be my favorite so far. The setting was vivid and most of the characters were multi-faceted and distinct.
Pamela Darling
This is my idea of an easy-going good read. It is a STORY which is quite different to some books where we have to concentrate in case we miss something! No one really gets hurt, but Robin Pilcher writes in such a way that I wanted to pick the book up again as soon as possible to find out what happens next. I would recommend it for a holiday read.
Stacey
This story is gripping. This couple is in a difficult place in their relationship, and they both make choices and take risks.

I really enjoyed this book. It was exciting but not at all predictable. Nothing turned out as I had expected.

The main character, Dan took quite a journey and more than one risk.

I highly reccommend this book.
Leslie
So far so good... Dan just started his temp. job in Scotland. I think I can see where this is headed. I'm just so glad he takes his son with him when he goes.

Well, as previously stated teh ending is left pretty wide open... you can take it for what it's worth. Great story telling - I would like to have had a more determined ending.
Shirley Freeman
This belongs in the light or escape novel category. It was entertaining - listened to it on a long car trip. I used to read all of Rosamunde Pilcher's novels. Robin is her son. This book had the requisite happy ending though not necessarily for all of the characters. There were a couple of laugh-out-loud moments too.
Suzanne
Not a bad, light read set in London & the Scottish Highlands. A person is at a crux in their life; something happens to change their life for the better. Usually this type of book is set from a woman's point of view. This time it was from a married man's. This made it a bit more interesting.
Michele
A good fast, easy read - wanted to see what Robin Pilcher's writing was like becasue I liked his mother, Rosamunde Pilcher's, books and the reviews says he picks up on her style. It was well written and a good uncomplicated read. I do think he has a quality similar to his mothers.
Linda
Reading Robin Pilcher is a lot like reading Rosamund Pilcher (his mother). The books are romance, but not that sultry steamy romance formula. And the books always make me want to visit Scotland. This particular book hit a lot of themes including the post-9/11 world.
Margaret
Sometimes when you read the inside flap, a story sounds like it could be a welcome break from the every-dayness of life. It's wonderful when it works out that way, but it doesn't always happen. Sometimes it's just a boring story. That's how this book turned out.
Brenda
Some of this book was pretty predictable, but like all of his books it was well written and for the most part a really good book. If you are looking for a light read this is a great choice, and though the ending was a little abrupt, I did like it.
  • Christmas: A Candid History
  • The Way We Were
  • The Empty House
  • Building Blocks
  • Portraits of the Past (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #5)
  • Courage
  • Courage and Calling: Embracing Your God-Given Potential
  • Hidden History (Tales From Grace Chapel Inn, #4)
  • God Thinks You're Wonderful
  • We Have This Moment (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #11)
  • Recipes & Wooden Spoons (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #3)
  • The Heartbreaker
  • Church: Why Bother?: My Personal Pilgrimage
  • Oh, Baby, the Places You'll Go!
  • Grasping God's Word: A Hands-On Approach to Reading, Interpreting, and Applying the Bible
  • Death Is Forever
Robin Pilcher was born on 10 August 1950, the eldest son of author Rosamunde Pilcher, née Scott (aka Jane Fraser) and Graham Hope Pilcher, also he had a brother and two sisters. He has been a cameraman, a songwriter, and a farmer, co-managed a mail order business, and has had numerous other jobs. He lives with his wife and children near Dundee, Scotland, and in the Sierra de Aracena mountain area ...more
More about Robin Pilcher...
Starting Over An Ocean Apart The Long Way Home Starburst An Ocean Apart/ Starting Over