Sharing the Harvest: A Citizen's Guide to Community Supported Agriculture

Sharing the Harvest: A Citizen's Guide to Community Supported Agriculture

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  38 ratings  ·  12 reviews
In this expanded and revised edition, authors Henderson and Van En provide new insight into making Community Supported Agriculture not only a viable economic model, but the right choice for food lovers and farmers alike.
Published November 1st 2007 by Chelsea Green Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about Sharing the Harvest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sharing the Harvest

Roger
Lately I've begun to consider the morality of my purchases. Are my dollars not votes? What exactly am I voting for by buying supermarket food and electronics? It is that spirit that brought me to this book, which sells itself as a how-to guide to CSA.

I don't intend on running a CSA, but I am interested in the rationale. The book is indeed touchy-feely, but it also justifies its feelings through recognizing the difference between small and industrial farms, then making a judgment call on whether...more
Mo Tipton
I suppose I should have gathered this from the title, but this book isn't really geared towards the reader with a casual interest in CSA. I ended up scanning the book, rather than reading it, because this is a serious, down-to-the-last-nitty-gritty-detail guide for anyone interested in starting, running and/or heavily participating in CSA, from finding funding to obtaining organic certification--we're talking charts, graphs, the whole works. If I were looking to start my own CSA operation, I'd i...more
Heather
I'm really enjoying this book so far. I just picked it up because I've been interested in CSA's the last few years. This book talks about the use of an account for CSA to allow those on foodstamps (which is now on a debit like card) to access CSA's. So, I guess I'll start searching for one that might possible accept my card. I would love to see some of my food money go somewhere better. The town we live in now is just not as supportive of an organic lifestyle.
Heather Sinclair Shaw
Feb 28, 2008 Heather Sinclair Shaw rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: CSA farmers, or anyone interested in learning more about growing food for communities
Shelves: agriculture
Great resource for CSA farmers or hopefuls. There's lots of good information to start with, including a wealth of data on planting and harvesting, but it's not a substitute for old-fashioned trial and error on your own terrain. Great inspirational reading for community farmers and those stuck in midwinter and dreaming of spring...
Karen Mahtin
This is a great resource for those who want to do crop planning, or who want to go whole-hog and start a Community Supported Agriculture program. It was the recommended text for my Summer CSA class in 2010. Another resource book I haven't read cover-to-cover.
Samantha
I'm very interested in the CSA philosophy so I bought the book. It's perfect for anyone considering/interested in running a CSA. I realize how much work it is!!! It will remain a part of my library for that time in my life when I take the plunge and become a farmer.
Wayne
Great tables in here for planning how much seed will plant how many row feet, how much to include in a CSA share, etc. I recently bought this book after borrowing it from the library. I still haven't read the whole thing cover to cover, but I like what I've read.
Paula
Skimmed through this again about 4 years after I first read it. great information for CSAs - communities of eaters or farmers can learn a lot from what Elizabeth Henderson has compiled.
Abby
A good book for those interested in starting, buying from or just learning more about the csa concept. Well written, lots of information, but nothing works better than experience!
Katie
Inspiring. Has made me want to rethink the organization of my CSA.
Bryan
Just starting to read this. A how to for starting a CSA with stories!
Amythest
This book is a wonderful tool for those interested in community supported agriculture! It gives a complete how-to for the small home gardener or the larger scale farmer~ wonderful ideas-history-facts and inspiration...Hopefully by next year I will have mine up and running~I would like to have it enclude veggies-fruits-berries- medicinal and kitchen herbs- fresh cut flowers-home-made salves and tinctures, tea blends,and infused oils~ and a news letter with recipes- ideas- community bartering trad...more
Erika Barber
Erika Barber marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Candy Wyman
Candy Wyman marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
K.O.
K.O. marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
David Osei
David Osei marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Therese
Therese marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Elliott
Elliott marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Taylor
Taylor marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Alayne
Alayne marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Ted Ryan
Ted Ryan marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Lorrin Debenport
Lorrin Debenport marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
Jmats
Jmats marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2014
Megan Hope
Megan Hope marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Bailey
Bailey marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
100 Questions You'd Never Ask Your Parents: Straight Answers to Teens' Questions About Sex, Sexuality, and Health Whole-Farm Planning: Ecological Imperatives, Personal Values, and Economics Ripley's Believe It or Not!: Reptiles, Lizards, and Prehistoric Beasts (100th Anniversary Edition) Ripley's Believe It or Not!: Great and Strange Works of Man (Ripley's 100th Anniversary) Oligopoly and Technical Progress: Revised Edition