Start by marking “Sharing the Harvest: A Citizen's Guide to Community Supported Agriculture” as Want to Read:
Sharing the Harvest: A Citizen's Guide to Community Supported Agriculture

Sharing the Harvest: A Citizen's Guide to Community Supported Agriculture

4.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  47 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
To an increasing number of American families the CSA (community supported agriculture) is the answer to the globalization of our food supply. The premise is simple: create a partnership between local farmers and nearby consumers, who become members or subscribers in support of the farm. In exchange for paying in advance--at the beginning of the growing season, when the far ...more
Published November 1st 2007 by Chelsea Green Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about Sharing the Harvest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sharing the Harvest

Roger
Dec 07, 2008 Roger rated it really liked it
Lately I've begun to consider the morality of my purchases. Are my dollars not votes? What exactly am I voting for by buying supermarket food and electronics? It is that spirit that brought me to this book, which sells itself as a how-to guide to CSA.

I don't intend on running a CSA, but I am interested in the rationale. The book is indeed touchy-feely, but it also justifies its feelings through recognizing the difference between small and industrial farms, then making a judgment call on whether
Melissa
Feb 26, 2009 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: political, gardening
I suppose I should have gathered this from the title, but this book isn't really geared towards the reader with a casual interest in CSA. I ended up scanning the book, rather than reading it, because this is a serious, down-to-the-last-nitty-gritty-detail guide for anyone interested in starting, running and/or heavily participating in CSA, from finding funding to obtaining organic certification--we're talking charts, graphs, the whole works. If I were looking to start my own CSA operation, I'd i ...more
Heather
Aug 18, 2009 Heather rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-reading-list
I'm really enjoying this book so far. I just picked it up because I've been interested in CSA's the last few years. This book talks about the use of an account for CSA to allow those on foodstamps (which is now on a debit like card) to access CSA's. So, I guess I'll start searching for one that might possible accept my card. I would love to see some of my food money go somewhere better. The town we live in now is just not as supportive of an organic lifestyle.
Heather Shaw
Feb 28, 2008 Heather Shaw rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: CSA farmers, or anyone interested in learning more about growing food for communities
Shelves: agriculture
Great resource for CSA farmers or hopefuls. There's lots of good information to start with, including a wealth of data on planting and harvesting, but it's not a substitute for old-fashioned trial and error on your own terrain. Great inspirational reading for community farmers and those stuck in midwinter and dreaming of spring...
Karen Mahtin
Jun 13, 2012 Karen Mahtin rated it it was amazing
This is a great resource for those who want to do crop planning, or who want to go whole-hog and start a Community Supported Agriculture program. It was the recommended text for my Summer CSA class in 2010. Another resource book I haven't read cover-to-cover.
Samantha
Jan 15, 2009 Samantha rated it really liked it
I'm very interested in the CSA philosophy so I bought the book. It's perfect for anyone considering/interested in running a CSA. I realize how much work it is!!! It will remain a part of my library for that time in my life when I take the plunge and become a farmer.
Wayne
Sep 16, 2009 Wayne rated it really liked it
Great tables in here for planning how much seed will plant how many row feet, how much to include in a CSA share, etc. I recently bought this book after borrowing it from the library. I still haven't read the whole thing cover to cover, but I like what I've read.
Paula
Feb 06, 2013 Paula rated it it was amazing
Skimmed through this again about 4 years after I first read it. great information for CSAs - communities of eaters or farmers can learn a lot from what Elizabeth Henderson has compiled.
Abby
A good book for those interested in starting, buying from or just learning more about the csa concept. Well written, lots of information, but nothing works better than experience!
Katie
Jan 27, 2009 Katie rated it it was amazing
Inspiring. Has made me want to rethink the organization of my CSA.
Bryan
Feb 14, 2009 Bryan rated it really liked it
Shelves:
Just starting to read this. A how to for starting a CSA with stories!
Amythest
May 25, 2009 Amythest rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
This book is a wonderful tool for those interested in community supported agriculture! It gives a complete how-to for the small home gardener or the larger scale farmer~ wonderful ideas-history-facts and inspiration...Hopefully by next year I will have mine up and running~I would like to have it enclude veggies-fruits-berries- medicinal and kitchen herbs- fresh cut flowers-home-made salves and tinctures, tea blends,and infused oils~ and a news letter with recipes- ideas- community bartering trad ...more
Megan Rose
Megan Rose marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Lawrence Tyree Library
Lawrence Tyree Library marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2016
Amr
Amr rated it did not like it
Feb 14, 2016
Fernleaf
Fernleaf marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2016
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Corey Buttry
Corey Buttry marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Ailsa Coughlan
Ailsa Coughlan marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Charlotte Wolfe
Charlotte Wolfe rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2016
Gina
Gina marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Lucas Smith
Lucas Smith marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Alexandra
Alexandra marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2016
Toni Schafer
Toni Schafer marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2016
Andrew Parrish
Andrew Parrish marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2016
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2015
Evan Berry
Evan Berry marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2015
Brooke
Brooke rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2016
Becka Quinn
Becka Quinn marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2015
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The New Organic Grower: A Master's Manual of Tools and Techniques for the Home and Market Gardener
  • Permaculture Two: Practical Design for Town and Country in Permanent Agriculture
  • Garden Anywhere: How to grow gorgeous container gardens, herb gardens, kitchen gardens, and more, without spending a fortune
  • Permaculture: Principles & Pathways Beyond Sustainability
  • Natural Beekeeping: Organic Approaches to Modern Apiculture
  • Gardening When It Counts: Growing Food in Hard Times
  • Food Not Lawns: How to Turn Your Yard Into a Garden and Your Neighborhood Into a Community
  • The Apple Grower: A Guide for the Organic Orchardisst
  • Breed Your Own Vegetable Varieties: The Gardener's and Farmer's Guide to Plant Breeding and Seed Saving, 2nd Edition
  • Greenhouse Gardener's Companion, Revised: Growing Food & Flowers in Your Greenhouse or Sunspace
  • Renewing America's Food Traditions: Saving and Savoring the Continent's Most Endangered Foods
  • How to Make a Forest Garden
  • Starting & Running Your Own Small Farm Business: Small-Farm Success Stories * Financial Assistance Sources * Marketing & Selling Ideas * Business Plan Forms & Documents
  • A Nation of Farmers: Defeating the Food Crisis on American Soil
  • What's Wrong With My Plant? (And How Do I Fix It?): A Visual Guide to Easy Diagnosis and Organic Remedies
  • Seed to Seed: Seed Saving and Growing Techniques for Vegetable Gardeners
  • Landscaping with Fruit: Strawberry ground covers, blueberry hedges, grape arbors, and 39 other luscious fruits to make your yard an edible paradise.
  • Small Scale Grain Raising: An Organic Guide to Growing, Processing, and Using Nutritious Whole Grains, for Home Gardeners and Local Farmers