Shadows of Valor

Shadows of Valor

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  30 ratings  ·  22 reviews
On the surface, Graywall is content and booming. Lord Shaufton, who presides over the city, is a fine ruler. The poor are well-cared for, the area is popular, and morale is high—but within Graywall’s roots, something dark is stirring. This darkness threatens to overpower the once-peaceful town, until a mysterious figure appears: The Shadow.

As much a figure of fear to the...more
Published September 7th 2013 by Jolly Fish Press (first published January 1st 2013)

Kara-karina
Shadows of Valor is an overall enjoyable read. There are nice moments of medieval history, some lovely songs, clothes and a bit of a mystery of Robin Hood variety on the side. My major stumbling block were modern words that should have been edited from the original manuscript but went through the revisions.

I am not an expert on Middle Ages, but words like "wow", "absolutely", "fashion show" and many others looked pretty strange mixed with more traditional jargon of the era.

I understand the neces...more
Erleen (Books For YA!)

Engrossing and mysterious, Shadows of Valor took me on a journey into a medieval era full of chivalrous knights, dark secrets, shocking conspiracy and swoony romance. Be ready to swoon when you meet The Shadow.

There are rumors spreading all around the country about a mysterious figure named The Shadow. Some say his an apparition and some even say his a magician but only one thing is for sure, he hunts criminals and enforce justice under King Edward's orders.

Now, The Shadow came into Graywall to...more
Lehua Parker
Shadows of Valor by Elsie Park is a step back into a medieval England where a noblewoman’s outward scars hide an inner beauty and fire as a dark knight walks a fine line between upholding the law, revenge, and becoming what he most despises. It’s a delicate dance between light and darkness, subterfuge and revelation, and a flirtation that never wavers past squeaky clean.

But you knew the maiden and the Shadow were going to have a thing for each other, right?

Lady Elsbeth is the good maiden, servin...more
Kayla
*ARC obtained directly from Jolly Fish Press in exchange or an honest review*

So, first off, let me say that historical fiction isn't a genre that I pick up often. I ADORE Knights, dragons, castles, and the like but it's rare to find a novel that isn't...well... just like the others. Reading the synopsis for this one, I was immediately drawn in because it reminded me of Robin Hood in a sense. The hooded character doing good deeds and such, with fair maidens here and there. Except he works for t...more
F.J.R. Titchenell
The Basics:

Sir Calan lives a double life, as a respected knight and the legendary Shadow, terror of all manner of criminals. In both capacities, he’s a servant of King Edward and of law and order, but The Shadow’s constant contact with the worst humanity has to offer threatens to tear him apart. When investigation of a smuggling operation demands that he court Lady Genevieve to keep an eye on her other suitors, he finds himself drawn to her cousin, Elsbeth, who may be able to bring him closer to...more
Elizabeth Reid
I was not expecting such a terrific read from a first-time author. This book was full of romance, suspense, mystery, and historical knowledge.

I really liked that Beth had scars. Sometimes I get tired of all the super skinny, gorgeous heroines in books.

Not knowing what to expect from this book (ARC from Deseret News), I appreciated the fact that I could comfortably read this novel without worrying if one of my kids was looking over my shoulder.

Deseret News review: http://www.deseretnews.com/art...more
Diana (Offbeat Vagabond)
Original review here: http://offbeatvagabond.blogspot.com/2013/09/book-review-15-amazon-gc-giveaway.html

Shadows of Valor is a story about lies and betrayal. In the town of Graywall, everything seems great. The only problem that lies beneath the surface are smugglers. But the smugglers of Graywall are getting more aggressive when it is found that there is a plot against the beloved ruler, Lord Shaufton. This is where The Shadow comes in. The Shadow is a very intimidating knight from King Edward's...more
Shanda
Shadows of Valor is a story of ladies and knights, including one with a secret identity, in a tale of intrigue, valor, adventure, and seemingly unrequited love. Sometimes I’m in the mood for a light romantic read that isn’t heavy on historically accurate dialogue and doesn’t shy away from what some consider romance novel cliché. Shadows of Valor fit this mood for me, and I was pleasantly entertained reading about Elsbeth and her dealings with The Shadow and Sir Calan.

The pace of the story kept t...more
Liesel Hill
Shadows of Valor by Elsie Park is a books I've been anticipating for a long time. Elsie is a fellow JFP author who also writes medieval historical fiction, so how could I not look forward to her book?

Such a beautiful cover and a promising story. First of all, let me say that the copy I read was an uncorrected ARC, which made it a little hard to get into at first because there were some places where editing was needed. You all know how off-putting bad editing is to me, but I tried to put it aside...more
Melanie Adkins
Known as The Shadow, Sir Calan Beaumont came to Graywall to find smugglers. He had to be very careful no one knew his other identity. While watching for smugglers, Calan heard a conversation about a kidnapping. His first thought was the nobles daughter, Genevieve. Sir Calan knew he must protect her at all costs. After approaching the castle, he found out his childhood friend Elsbeth was living there as well. Elsbeth was a friendly person who helped serve the village and castle. She was content...more
Dani C. (Paulette's Papers)
Books like this that have such a captivating, hard to stop reading plot will turn me into a historical romance book reader! I am telling you this is one of the best stories I have read so far this year! There is so much mystery, suspense and of course romance that takes place in this wonderful stand alone novel.

Lady Elspeth lives with her uncle the Lord Shaufton as well as his wife and cousin. When she was young her parents were killed in a fire that scarred both of her arms. She was rescued by...more
Kriss
The story takes place during the reign of King Edward I after he got back from the crusades. Edward was criticized for how he dealt with the Scots and how he threw out the Jews... but the thing that I like about this book, is the inclusion of smuggling, especially wool. It directly reflects the historical relevance when KingEdwardI negotiated agreements with the domestic merchant community that secured a permanent duty on wool 25 years before the book takes place.The importance, for me, of histo...more
Diayll
Originally Reviewed At: Mother/Gamer/Writer
Rating: 3.5 out of 5 Controllers
Review Source: Publisher
Reviewer: AimeeKay

Shadows of Valor is a sweet novel that tells the story of Elsbeth and Calan. Overall it is a clean, solid romance; I just had issues really connecting with it.

Let’s start out with what I did like about it…

I liked the characters. While I think that at times Elsbeth was a bit too innocent, I saw through one of the characters from the beginning, I did like her. I was rooting for her...more
Berk Washburn
Shadows of Valor is a tantalizing voyage of discovery, danger and romance.

Elsbeth needs to discover a man who can love and wed her in spite of the terrible scars on her arms from trying to save her parents from the fire that destroyed them and their ancestral castle. She still carries a flame for her girlhood crush Sir Calan. But when the King's mysterious champion, The Shadow, enters her life, she finds herself drawn to him.

Sir Calan discovers the child Elsbeth has grown into a woman he is much...more
Aycock
Loved this book! Loved the romance. It was just enough, although at times I wanted to shake the heroine and tell her how much he loved her! The intrigue was great too. All around super entertaining and a lovely read!
Mindy Cook
Although predictable at times, I was surprized by one twist at the end. A charming plot that was refreshing. Calan and Elsbeth were believable characters and I hope to see them further developed in future books.
Kelly
This debut novel by Elsie Park was a pleasant surprise. The storyline with Elsbeth, Sir Calan and the Shadow kept me intrigued. Even though I was able to figure out most of the characters and what they were doing/plotting, I still was captivated enough to read through to see how the tale ends.

I enjoyed the characters and their interaction and the Medieval Time Period was interesting. I would say this could be labeled as Young Adult since there were only kisses involved in the romance part. I ho...more
Wendy
fun light read
Rachel
I had a lot of fun reading this book. It's set in medieval times and the descriptions of the food, dress, and customs made it enjoyable and new.
Benjamin
Although I don't usually read historical romance, I had a lot of fun reading this book. There's an awesome batman-like hero and some very tricky and despicable villains that make it so much more than a simple romance book.
Rachel
Average writing, completely predictable plot. I identified the shadow conspirator very early on. It was a quick read, but it wasn't an especially brilliant one.
Jenny
Mar 31, 2014 Jenny rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
This was a great medieval romance. the story caught my attention right away and I couldn't put it down! it was a fun read. God job Elsie Park!
Amy
It was okay, a little predictable! But still fun.
Kelsy
Review to come.
Niagra Tang
Niagra Tang marked it as to-read
Carole
Carole marked it as to-read
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Krista Wiser
Krista Wiser marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
  • The Last Keeper's Daughter (Book 1 in The Last Keeper's Daughter Trilogy)
  • Feeling Death (The Death Trilogy #1)
  • Secrets and Lies (Cassie Scot, #2)
  • Courage (Mark of Nexus, #2)
  • Stalked
  • Fairy Godmothers, Inc.
  • A Demon Lies Within
  • Southern Haunts: Spirits That Walk Among Us
  • Time Out (Foolish Games, #2)
  • Buried Threads (Threads, #2)
  • Pitch Green
  • Finding Esta: #1 The Supes Series (Urban Fantasy Paranormal & Mystery)
  • Empath (Flawed, #1)
  • 13 (Tallent & Lowery, #1)
  • The Last Observer: A Magical Battle for reality
  • Echo Prophecy (Echo Trilogy, #1)
  • Grave Bound (Secrets, #1)
  • The Guilty Innocent (Knights of the Darkness Chronicles, #2)
I grew up in a small town outside Yosemite National Park, California, U.S.A. I enjoy soccer, piano, reading, writing, art and my family. Years ago I spent 18 months in Italy teaching the gospel of Jesus Christ. Seeing the castles and old Roman cities enhanced my fascination for ancient and medieval culture. In college I studied zoology, botany and criminal justice. I've worked as a wildland firefi...more
More about Elsie Park...