Start by marking “The Virgin's Auction” as Want to Read:
The Virgin's Auction

The Virgin's Auction

Melissa did not want to take this path, but she must have money to rescue herself and her brother from that fiend. She is all out of choices. She must auction the one asset she has: her innocent body.It's a terrible fate but she will face it bravely. On the night of the auction, fate will be kind and give her the chance of redemption in the arms of a sensual rogue. But ...more
Published March 31st 2013 by Kite Publishing Limited

To ask other readers questions about The Virgin's Auction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Virgin's Auction

Sultana
Jul 27, 2013 Sultana rated it it was amazing
I thought this story was wonderful. I really liked the independence of the heroine, Melissa. She's clever and resourceful and she has a real pragmatism about her. You know, she just grits her teeth and gets it done, even if she doesn't want to do it. She's had an abusive father (who has just died) which has made her very wary of trusting men or depending on them, and a lot of the conflict of the book comes from that, from the situations that force her to depend on the hero, James.
He's the right
KatieV
Not what I expected. It was an ok read for a freebie, but wouldn't pay for it. It does touch on some real issues of class and a woman's lack of choice, but it wasn't handled to my satisfaction. Honestly, it was kind of silly and nowhere near as risque as it sounds. Here's an example of the silly: (view spoiler) ...more
Melissa
Jul 23, 2013 Melissa rated it really liked it
As Amazon freebies go this was one of the best ones I have picked up in a long time. From the title alone (as I just don't read blurbs) I was expecting more sex than plot and I am pleasantly surprised to tell you that this one is 90% plot!

Melissa (loved the name) Spencer is a great heroine and while I did not agree with some things she did, or her inner dialogue half the time; I quickly understood why things happened the way they did. I was surprised that Melissa took off from James the way she
Anne
Aug 02, 2013 Anne rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Historical romance lovers
In spite of what the title reads, I loved this book. Gently born Melissa is left to take care of her teen age brother when her father dies. he has also left her with a huge debt which brings the debt holder to her door with threats. Not knowing what to do, she takes the advice of her maid's cousin and decided to sell her "wedding night." Scared to death as she stands on the podium, she knows what will happen to her innocent young brother if she backs down.
In the audience is James who is drawn to
Amanda Richardson
Jul 24, 2013 Amanda Richardson rated it really liked it
Good story, not as sordid as the title would make you think. I liked James, the hero, very much. The heroine, Melissa, got on my nerves at times. I really just wanted her to tell him what her circumstances were and allow him to help her. All in all, I liked the book and would read others by Amelia Hart.
Jane
The Virgin's Auction portrayed the values of the ton of England in the 1800's with the double standard between women and men. Women were expected to remain pure for the marriage bed and men were perfectly acceptable after taking advantage of the opposite sex, it was even expected. Melissa was left with a debt to a moneylender of the worst character in all of London, when her father died and she was willing to do anything to protect her teenage innocent younger brother that she had raised when he ...more
RedRedtheycallmeRed
Dec 16, 2013 RedRedtheycallmeRed rated it liked it
It sucks to be a woman in the 19th century

It's been a really long time since I've read an historical romance. This one was okay. I liked Melissa, she was a strong woman with few choices, mostly because she was a woman. Her father left her and her brother (who was a really annoying character) with no money, so she chooses to auction her virginity for money to escape London. James (the man who "buys" her) thinks she's lovely and wants to make her his mistress.

I had a hard time liking James, his tr
Steph
Sep 13, 2015 Steph rated it it was ok
I really was into this book until the last 20% when it all just fell apart. Up until that point, the emotions and actions of the characters were realistic and believable and then suddenly they just weren't. The first 80% was above average; it felt like the early work of a writer with big potential; on those grounds I plan to give this author a few more chances and read more of her stuff.

I really really hope that in the time since AH wrote this, she has studied up on the British peerage system.
Cozen
Oct 07, 2015 Cozen rated it liked it
This was more of a 3.5 for me. There are things I do Love about this; her strength, they intimate playfulness, a few worthy intimate scene, and a truthful historical account of what women of that time had to endure.

There were also other things that didn't do well for me; the amount of time to reach her brother- it seemed somewhat off, the conversion of lust to loving seemed a little more unbelievable than in should have been, the whole refusal to be truthful about their dire situation to her br
Dabooknut (Jess)
Aug 13, 2013 Dabooknut (Jess) rated it really liked it
I'm torn with this book and rate it a 3.5. Although the characters are very well defined, I found it difficult to get through the redundancy of storytelling. There were more recapping than I would have liked in a story. Much of the dialogue was either the character thinking or telling the reader their thoughts. I would have liked to read more dialogue between the characters. The story is very appealing and sexually charged. The characters were strong, the heroine would wavier at times and it ...more
Sara Beatty
Mar 27, 2014 Sara Beatty rated it really liked it
This book was surprisingly hard for me to finish. I don't know why, maybe I just wasn't in the mood for it.

Anyway, I got this as a freebie on amazon, and I wasn't really expecting much out of it. But in the end I loved it. However, it was a little too slow for my tastes.

Melissa was a strong female lead, and it was refreshing to see such a strong young woman in a story set in England during the 1800's where woman were perceived to be below men, and are normally portrayed much more submissively.
Charli ღ Denae
Aug 29, 2013 Charli ღ Denae rated it really liked it
Really good story! Got it for free at Amazon and was pleasantly surprised. Melissa, the heroine, is a strong, independent woman who does what she feels she has to, to save her and her fourteen year old brother from an evil loan shark. The characters were likable and I didn't find the plot unrealistic, even for the time period it takes place in. There may have been a tiny bit of a stretch in some aspects but, in my opinion, a good story always pushes the boundaries. That's why it's called, ...more
Sue Parker
Jul 25, 2013 Sue Parker rated it liked it
Melissa needs to save herself and her brother from a loan shark. Her father had some bad dealings with Black Jack and he has come to collect. Now Melissa has to sell her virtue to the highest bidder to raise money so she and her brother can escape. James saves her from a nasty encounter and then he falls for her. Now they must find her missing brother. And see to Black Jack getting what he deserves. It's an adventure and a love story.
Joan Osborne
Jul 17, 2015 Joan Osborne rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly enjoyable

This was a thoroughly enjoyable romance with wonderful characters and an interesting storyline. I must admit that I got upset with the hero for a bit at the end but he eventually came through for the heroine and they both got their happily ever after. Recommend this book highly.
Sassy Beta Reading & Review
Jul 24, 2013 Sassy Beta Reading & Review rated it really liked it
This was a great story. There were a few pages I ended up skipping cause it seemed to drag (heavy on the info with no dialogue) but overall it was a good story. Some information was unclear (ages)so some actions seemed out of place cause thought was one possible age by the actions occurring but other actions seemed to imply older so really left unsure.

Overall, I would recommend this book.
Denise
Jul 23, 2013 Denise rated it did not like it
Disappointing. I am not a fan of stories that go on and on about what someone is thinking they "might" do and then we all know full well they won't because their path has already changed. Or them waxing poetic for pages and pages while the other character is standing there waiting a response. I'm more of a "GET TO THE POINT" kinda girl. So, this story just wasn't for me.
Violet Gregory
Sep 04, 2013 Violet Gregory rated it really liked it
This was a really well written historical romance - being a person with an interest in sewing and vintage attire, I liked the descriptions of and references to clothing, sewing, etc. I thought the sex scenes were really good - loving and adventurous and erotic all at once. I'd definitely read more by this author.
Book worm Ash
Jul 28, 2013 Book worm Ash rated it liked it
I was intrigued by the description of this book and thought I'd give it a go. At the beginning it was an interesting read but in the middle I started to lose interest. However I did hang into the end and finished the story. If you need a quick, easy read then give it a go.
Kelly
Jul 20, 2014 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Great

This is a sweet love story. Sure it has an unexpected beginning to their romance. But I believe the author did a wonderful job turning what could have been a tragedy into a beautiful relationship. Worth it.
Zoe
Sep 29, 2013 Zoe rated it liked it
Entertaining, some nice characters and a well thought out plot. It had some flat spots, but overall very good. I liked how the story played through, while a little predictable. Overall, still very good while typical of the genre.
Melanie Guerrero
Sep 17, 2013 Melanie Guerrero rated it liked it
The concept was good but could have used some tweaking. You can read my full review here: http://melguerrero.blogspot.com/2013/...
Shammy
Aug 26, 2013 Shammy rated it really liked it
This was an interesting read and not what I expected. I enjoyed the character's and how they interacted together through out the story.
sharon
Jul 24, 2013 sharon rated it it was amazing
This was a cool book that was about choices made, ones that are hard to live with and sacrifices made for those that you love.
I highly recommend this book as it is a great story well told.
Mary Larsen
Feb 10, 2015 Mary Larsen rated it liked it
I found this book a little boring and the characters were a little flat and that is sad because the idea for the book was a good one.
Kindling Micky
Oct 15, 2013 Kindling Micky rated it really liked it
It's ages since I've read a historical romance and this was just what was needed. I enjoyed the lead characters and the storyline wasn't too cliche.
Christina OW
Jul 24, 2013 Christina OW rated it it was ok
Shelves: historical, dnf
i love historical books but this was really hard to get through. It just went on and on and on and I had no incentive to keep reading.
Regina
Apr 21, 2014 Regina rated it it was ok
It was ok. Some parts just drugged on. I like Melissa being strong and doing what she needed. James turned out to the knight to save the day.
Danielle-Claude Mba
Mar 16, 2014 Danielle-Claude Mba rated it liked it
It was a nice Saturday afternoon read but a little too long with a lot of repetition.
I like the premise but I think it could have been taken further and still felt a bit unresolved at the end.
Lindap
Oct 07, 2014 Lindap rated it liked it
3.0 Stars. It was a good storyline, but the repetition of the inner dialog was distracting to me.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Madison Mega-Mara...: "The Virgin's Auction" by Amelia Hart 1 1 Oct 03, 2013 04:41PM
  • Bareback For Cowboy
  • Becoming A Lady
  • Savage Deception
  • Unbridled (Unlikely Lovers, #1)
  • Strictly Business
  • The First Sinners (The Sinners Club, #0.5)
  • Brandywine (The Brocade #1)
  • Bad Romance (New Adult Romance)
  • One True Love
  • Love at First Bite (Just a Little Taste, #1)
  • The Sweetest Revenge
  • Gift of Desire
  • Security
  • What Wild Moonlight
  • Flawed Beauty
  • Meeting Mr. Write (Mr. Write Trilogy #1)
  • The Pirate and the Puritan
  • Scotsmen Prefer Blondes (Muses of Mayfair, #2)