Alexandria: In Which the Extraordinary Correspondence of Griffin & Sabine Unfolds (Morning Star Trilogy #2)

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  1,813 ratings  ·  58 reviews
Alexandria will continue to delight the 3 million readers who fell in love with the epistolary romance of Griffin & Sabine. Awash with gorgeous artwork, the mystery of Griffin Moss and Sabine Strohem now entwines Matthew Sedon, an archaeologist steeped in Egyptian antiquity, and Isabella de Reims, a student in Paris whose vision holds the key to a new reality. Intrigue...more
Published 2002 by Raincoast Books

To ask other readers questions about Alexandria, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alexandria

Amber Ditullio
(Note: This review covers all three books in the series - The Gryphon , Alexandria and The Morning Star .)

The Morning Star Trilogy is the second trilogy of books regarding Griffin and Sabine. But this time, Griffin and Sabine are in the background, guiding another pair of lovers together in an effort to stop Frolatti from some horrible plot. In the forefront of this story are Matthew Sedon, a young archaeologist in Alexandria with a connection to Sabine (she helped deliver him) and Isabella de...more
Hotavio
Alexandria perpetuates the story of Griffin and Sabine, two lovers who amalgamated to become the Golden Mean. Their existence becomes more perplexing as they are clearly cognates of two other lovers, Matthew and Isabelle. An enigma begins to unravel as dreams become interpreted and a major archealogical find is unearthed in Egypt. Meanwhile, the series antagonist is back in force.

The art is this book was more enjoyable the most of the other books. A majority of it uses Egyptian imagery and sym...more
Sarah Bodney

What a joy it was to discover these 6 books some 20 years after the first in the series was published. I don't understand how I could have missed them for so long. I can only assume it was Frolatti's doing.

The Gryphon and Alexandria arrived in the mail today. Now I have to wait for The Morning Star to arrive from a second hand book seller on the East coast. I can't stand it. I could be waiting weeks for that Star to rise. It is like waiting for a postcard from a lover far away and in danger.
Jean Fendick
I read griffin and sabine many years ago and found this one in the thrift store the other day. I don't remember the whole story but loved the idea of reading personal correspondence and unfolding each letter. I don't write or receive many handwritten letters these days -- it's a pity.

Just finished and realized I read it out of order but really I don't feel the need to read the books I missed in the series. The idea is nice but the story didn't really capture me.
Camilla
So.. Yeah.. I have no idea what to say here..

I really hope the last one in the series gives me some kind of an ending, to this crazy story, that I'll understand and... yeah well, just an ending I'll understand.. lol

I thought the first 3 books were kind of amazing, these last two though.. The story is getting weirder by every postcard you read..

I still love the format of the books though.. Amazing artwork!
These books are strange, but for some reason I keep reading them. I did not enjoy this book as much as the others. I loved how the majority of it took place in Egypt and the artwork was fabulous as always, but the letters were a tad boring. I am hoping that the final book has a good ending and that I am not disappointed.
Jay McCue
3.5 stars. The artwork is still amazing as always but the letters seemed a little more forced in this book (just less naturally flowing than previous letters maybe).

Still have a good amount of questions that I hope are answered in the final book. Also have my fingers crossed all of the mythological tie-ins and angles are properly explained or explored a little more so the reader can make his or her own guess to it all.

This volume didn't capture my attention in the same way as the other titles b...more
Jen3n
While I have read (or looked at, depending on your point of view) all of the books in the Griffin and Sabine series, I think Alexandria is my favorite.

Describing the plot would be difficult, and anything I could type would probably not make much sense due to the fact that it's a long series and the fact that it's a long weird series. I can sum -up fairly well by saying this book is a series of gorgeous, hand-painted postcards and artistic letters written in various languages by several people, s...more
Michelle
This is the second book in the second Griffin and Sabine trilogy. It takes up where the first left off as we find Griffin corresponding with Isabella and Sabine corresponding with Matthew. In this book, the intrigue and suspense increase with the introduction of a villain in particular and a sinister group in general that are menacing Isabella and are after Griffin and Sabine. Matthew is working at a dig in Eygpt, where an unusual statue has been revealed. The two sets of partners work together...more
Spencer
This whole series is exceptional, gorgeous, and romantic, both to read and to look at. Read his first trilogy many, many years ago, and have been enchanted ever since. I think this is what books like Ship of Theseus and even the Da Vinci Code are trying desperately to emulate, and failing catastrophically. A perfect escape!!!
V.
Beautiful story, so very poetic. Apparently part of a series (I just bought the previous part), but it stands alone quite well. And most of all, this is a beautiful books, the illustrations, the letters that you can unfold... everything perfectly crafted. Loved it !
Anita
This fantastical epistolary story continues with the characters enduring separation, visions, and magical finds in Egypt. The artwork, letters and postcards make this series memorable.
Allegra Hailey Green
Clear as MUD!
Who's coming? Sabine and Griffin? People from 20 centuries ago?
Why does Sabine only talk to Matthew, and Griffin only to Isabella?
Are they reincarnations of each other?
The cat... Why does she have his cat?

The only part that really made sense was Griffin describing Thoth, one of my favourite philosophies. That one cannot exist without one's opposite, that you must define other before you can define self. It's a powerful theory and one that has brought a lot of trouble over the course...more
Steph
Feb 11, 2008 Steph rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of fantasy, love stories, art, poetry, mysteries
Alexandria is another of the gorgeous and curious Griffin and Sabine series by Nick Bantock.

Though nothing can compare to the wonder of reading the intial book in the series for the first time, Alexandria holds its own pretty well as the story continues to unfold.

One feels a little like a voyeur, opening and reading the letters and beautiful postcards pasted into the book. The reader is allowed to create their own story from the glimpses of correspondence between Griffen and Sabnine. The myste...more
Clare
WOW. I loan these books out as a set (six books) because there is no other way to read them. Jory is of the opinion that they are perfect for reading as a couple and I agree.

These books are written in epistolary style, with the letters actually folded up and put in envelopes. You take them out to read them. It gives me the best feeling of sneaking a look at someone else's correspondence and falling in love with two new people. These books are so. good. Passionate and sexy and funny and beautifu...more
Michael
Alexandria is where the tale of Matthew and Isabella takes a steep dive into the metaphysical realm. I would advise taking this one slowly, stopping to consider each letter and postcard separately. There are also the most intense declarations of love in the series. I did feel like Griffin is taking something of a backseat at this point, and he doesn't seem to be a major part of the story at this point.
Kirsten
My first Nick Bantock novel, although others have been urging me to read his books for years. This isn't the first in the series, so it probably didn't make as much sense to me as it would have if I had read the others first, but it was gorgeous and intriguing nonetheless. It's also marvelously tactile, something that one doesn't often get in books intended for adults. Magical, mysterious, and lovely.
Michelle
Of the six books in the series this is the weakest because some of the mystery seems a bit forced and it is the collection of letters which seems somewhat manufactured. The artwork is still stunning and the format still intrigues. It's just that some of the "seams show" where in the other collections it's all more natural. It is a necessary read before coming to the conclusion of the series.
Matt Sadorf
It's hard to keep reviewing these books, because they progress the plot, and I don't want to spoil anything for this or any of their predecessor's.

So I will merely continue to say, that I love these books. I love how they make you think, how they make you observe, and just how easy it is to delve into the lives of the characters through their mail.
Amber the Human
So pretty. And so confusing. But I think I have a hold on what's going on. Here's hoping the final book has more answers than the original final book (book three). I love all the small spelling mistakes. Reading about all this longing makes me feel very lucky to be in a relationship with a human who's only in the next room, not the next continent.
Leslea
Bloody brilliant! I loved the Griffin & Sabine series about 20 years ago. His work is so creative and the artwork is just stunning. This book is actually the 2nd in another series so now I would like to find the first one - The Gryphon. I've always been fascinated with stories that contain letters and postcards and this one is just bliss.
Elizabeth A
This is the second book in the Morning Star trilogy, and the fifth book of the Griffin and Sabine story. Danger, passion, and romance unfolds, but I did not enjoy this book as much as the others. I love Egypt as the main setting, and the artwork is lovely, but the letters were not as interesting. I hope the author finishes strong.
Susan
It's hard to know what to say as the Griffin & Sabine saga "unfolds." The art is still wonderful, and the impossibility of understanding quite what's going on is mesmerizing. The ending of this one didn't feel like an ending -- I had to restrain myself from hurrying on to the next one. But these are books to savor, not rush through.
Gretchen
 Barb Bailey
Jun 12, 2008 Barb Bailey rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Melisa and her friends
Intrigue turns to danger as 2 lovers seperated by contients struggle to make sense of a world beyond experience. In Egypt Matthew is kept away from his archelogical dig. In France Isabele under Giffins tutelage , learns to trust her own powerful instincts. The 2 correspond by postcard and letters . Excellent read.
The Night Hawk (Erin)
Again, everything in these stories as become so ambiguous and confusing, i can barely enjoy them. I found myself just racing through this one, not really dwelling to try to absorb meaning, because quite frankly, whatever substory is going on underneath what I read, I don't feel like I care anymore.
Christina
I have always been a fan of the epistolary style of novel and the act of removing the letters from the envelopes made it all the more interesting. The story is becoming more complex as the four characters lives involve eachother more. Wonder where the fourth will go.
Nelly Paulina
i found myself a little lost at first and i think i may have to go back and read the gryphon to figure out what is going on again, but the art work in these letters is always inspiring. not to mention that they are impossible to put down once you begin.
Jenny
Boo on Nick Bantock for failing to grab my attention with this book. The later books don't even come close to the compelling mystery and literary quality of the first two books. The artwork may be just as awesome but the plot suffers.
Emily
these series has gone crazy! it's a blend of love and knowledge, physical and spiritual, greek and egyptian, and fact and fiction. people are blending..handwritings are blending. visions are blending. it's insane! i love it!
  • The Tattooed Map
  • Book One: Work, 1986-2006
  • Kaleidoscope: Projects and Ideas to Spark Your Creativity
  • Quimby the Mouse: Or Comic Strips, 1990-1991
  • The Art of Eric Carle
  • A Bad Spell in Yurt (Daimbert #1)
  • Wanderlust
  • The End of Print: The Graphic Design of David Carson
Nick was schooled in England and has a BA in Fine Art (painting). He has authored 25 books, 11 of which have appeared on the best seller lists, including 3 books on the New York Times top ten at one time. ‘Griffin and Sabine’ stayed on that list for over two years. His works have been translated into 13 languages and over 5 million have been sold worldwide. Once named by the classic SF magazine We...more
More about Nick Bantock...
Griffin and Sabine (Griffin & Sabine Trilogy #1) Sabine's Notebook (Griffin & Sabine Trilogy #2) The Golden Mean (Griffin & Sabine Trilogy #3) The Gryphon: In Which the Extraordinary Correspondence of Griffin & Sabine Is Rediscovered (Morning Star Trilogy, #1) The Griffin & Sabine Trilogy

“Would your fear be any less and would you see that you had been chosen to help the sun rise?
-Sabine to Matthew”