Start by marking “Broken Dreams (Shattered Lives, #1)” as Want to Read:
Broken Dreams (Shattered Lives, #1)

Broken Dreams (Shattered Lives #1)

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  37 ratings  ·  18 reviews
*Warning: For mature (18+) audiences only due to strong language, sexual situations and violence.*

Elaina Cooper’s world was turned upside down on what was supposed to be the happiest day of her life. She was about to marry Henry Daniels, the man of her dreams -- or so she thought. Just as she was to walk down the aisle, screams pierced the air.

In the days that followed, qu
ebook
Published May 15th 2014 by self (first published April 21st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Broken Dreams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Broken Dreams

Veronica
I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.

I should say upfront this book is not my usual genre but I was interested enough in the synopsis and the chance to read a long (more than 600 page) book so I decided to give it a go. I'm glad a did because it is an enjoyable story.

I like that events in the book followed different characters at different times. It didn't take too long for the apocalyptic event to occur and for our characters to be fighting to survive. The fi
556 Book Chicks
556 Book Chicks was not expecting to like this one...
It's like that sometimes when Authors send you a request to read and review their book. It immediately puts pressure on you to like the book. Then there are times you discover a book that you wouldn't have necessarily 1-clicked on Amazon. And the Book Gods are screaming you were handed a gem of a book darling. LOL! My Book Gods often speak with a Southern twang. LOL!

I don't know if I would even classify this book as paranormal. It is, but it i
Mary Mooney
I received a copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads, so here it is. After reading the synopsis, I was not expecting this story line. Liam's past broke my heart. He was being trained for a job and then beaten on a regular basis because he questioned those in charge. When he was sent to the United States to do the job, he began to have second thoughts. And after meeting and falling in love with Elaina, he changed his mind completely. But on their wedding day all hell broke loose. Pe ...more
Shelby
*I received a free copy to read & review for Wicked Reads*

This book was an interesting mix of Romance and Zombie Apocalypse!
The story starts at the wedding of Elaina Cooper and Henry Daniels - and quickly the Zombie Apocalypse is upon them.
We get to know the characters, we learn their back-stories, and see who they really are.
I can't give anything away, this story was rather intense at times and laid back at others.
This story was FULL of action, adventure, general & erotic romance. I
S.M. Harshell
** I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads. **

I didn't know what to expect when I read the blurb, I was pleasantly surprised. 600 pages is a big commitment of time in a book, Broken Dreams did not disappoint!

Broken Dreams is the story about love and friendship but above all else survival. This story is action packed and well worth the time to read. I have stepped away from the paranormal reads, this was a great book to jump back into that genre with.

Can't wait t
Heather
Broken Dreams is unlike any other book I have read. I don’t want to give away anything that isn’t in the blurb, so forgive me if I am evasive, but I hate it when reviews give away things that I didn’t know from what the author shared when telling us about their book.

This is an excellent debut from Rissa Blakely. I am one of those people who believe that the longer the book is, the better it is for me. 675 pages made me extremely happy. I read this in two day, I was completely pulled into the sto
BooksandBeyondFiftyShades
Broken Dreams begins by introducing us Liam (Henry) at a training area in London. Henry is given an assignment to be completed in the United States. Henry is adamant about denying the assignment because he doesn’t want to leave Sophie behind.

He is not given choice and is sent to the US to complete his assignment. After arriving in the US and scouting his location as directed he meets Elaina in a neighborhood bookstore and immediately drawn to her.

Henry and Elaina’s wedding day arrives and what
Kristin

I’m not sure where to start other than to say, hold on to your socks because they are going to be rocked with this new series!

Broken Dreams is the first book in a new trilogy by Rissa Blakeley and takes you on a journey with Henry, Elaina, Sophie, Nick, Claire and Thomas as they fight to survive what can only be described as the end of the world for them. The book is primarily told in Elaina’s point of view, but you will also see things in the third-person as well. Ms. Blakeley also gives the
Elizabeth
I hate cliffhangers then having to wait for subsequent books but I will just have to.
I was trying to figure out where this book was headed when I arrived at the wedding from hell - literally. I was initially annoyed as this is not my preferred genre, however I was already invested in the characters and it had been recommended by a friend; also I liked Rissa Blakeley's writing style.
I knew there had to be more to the story so wasn't surprised when it unfolded. Shocked and horrified yes, but not s
Jessica Smith
I'm not sure how to review this without giving anything away, so I'll just say this: If someone had told me what "genre" this book was, I wouldn't have picked it up. And that would have been a HUGE mistake. HUGE. There is nothing cheesy about this book. The writing is witty, modern and sharp. I immediately fell in love with Henry, and instantly related to Elaina's sarcasm and childish mood swings. (You have them too and you know it!) Rissa Blakeley obviously writes from her heart and each charac ...more
E.F.
May 23, 2014 E.F. rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
I just finished reading Broken Dreams and all I can say is my mind is still reeling. This book is dangerous, sexy, emotionally charged, and just all around lip biting good! The characters are so well writing that they practically jump off the page and read their story to you. Henry, in particular, is now a favorite character of mine! One that I can’t wait to read more about in the next installment in this series!

Broken Dreams is such an fantastic debut novel and I cannot applaud Rissa Blakeley
Kira Marchitto
For a first novel, this book was AMAZING!!!!!!!! I felt like she had been writing for years. This book has everything I am looking for:sex, suspense, intrigue, sex, drama and sex. I couldn't put it down. It only took me a week to read it but I would have been done sooner if I didn't have to sleep, eat, work and take care of my kids. I am sitting on pins and needles waiting for the next book.

If you are looking for a good book that will take you away from your crazy life for a little while then
Kara Gerena
Just finished reading Broken Dreams! It took me a little while because this is not a short story or even a normal size novel. The book is a great addition to the paranormal / erotica genre but it come with a vast uniqueness that I have not seen other authors attempt. After reading a few chapters in you will figure out that the female characters are the backbone of the relationships and to be honest, the whole story.this was a great read that kept me engaged with all of the twisters and turns and ...more
Jody Pardo
I absolutely loved this book!!! I must say when I started to read this book I thought it was a romance book. I guess because I had been reading a lot in that genre and was in romance mode...and it is a romance but SO MUCH MORE! Ok so hot steamy scenes? Check. Violence and conflicts? Check. Hot Brit that my imagination runs wild as he switches from American to Brit lingo? Check. More steamy scenes in between rockin action scenes? Check. Oh did I mention undead Zombies?!? Double exponential check! ...more
Kasey
This was the first ever Rissa Blakeley book, I've ever read. She has earned a fan. This book is effing amazing and I cannot wait to read the sequel. From start to finish, you had me hooked. The characters were well written and the plot was simply amazing.
Bianca42
Fast paced twist on your typical zombie story. I can't wait to read more.
N. Kuhn
This was an interesting take on a zombie novel. There was romance (sort of). I'll start with the cons-
-I got annoyed by the constant "flashbacks" about the 'before' .. it dragged down the story. It made getting through it hard. I found myself just skipping ahead to the 'now' parts and the action.
-I was not a fan of the fact that they all kept repeating "True Dead" - apparently some show.. once or twice was ok, but to CONSTANTLY mention, ugh.
-I can see this being a series, and it should have bee
Maren
I couldn't finish this book. There should have been a label that it was so graphic. The blurb on the back was very misleading.
Martine
Martine marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Felicity Kates
Felicity Kates is currently reading it
Dec 09, 2014
Denitsa Chaneva
Denitsa Chaneva marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Shannon Cole
Shannon Cole marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Elle
Elle is currently reading it
Nov 18, 2014
Mlfmartins
Mlfmartins marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Jessica Kong
Jessica Kong marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • After Life Lessons (After Life Lessons, #1)
  • On the Edge (Knight, #1)
  • Girl Out of Water
  • Left (Still Standing, #1)
  • Shelf Life (Crestlane County, #1)
  • What the Heart Wants (Hearts and Arrows, #2.5)
  • Alive (Crave, #1)
  • The Redcastle Redemption (The Athena Effect #4)
  • Impossibly Love (Impossibly, #1)
  • The Immortal Game (The Immortal Game #1)
  • What Remains
  • Burn Out
  • Stakeout (Aurora Sky: Vampire Hunter #2.5)
  • Resisting Payne
  • Shift (Realms, #1)
  • Only The Good Die Young
  • The Demon's Daughter (Demon Outlaws, #1)
  • The Boundless Deep
Rissa Blakeley is a the author of the Shattered Lives series. She lives a socially awkward life just outside of Atlanta, Georgia with her amazing husband and daughter, four four-legged, furry children, and the many characters poking her brain, looking for more scenes about them in her books. When she isn't writing, she can be found procrastinating on Facebook.

Join Rissa's Militia and sign up for h
More about Rissa Blakeley...
Awakened Desires (Shattered Lives, #2) Born Ruined (Shattered Lives, #0) Full Circle (Shattered Lives, #5) Fated Destruction (Shattered Lives, #4) Fractured Hearts (Shattered Lives, #3)