Asimov's Science Fiction, September 2013

Asimov's Science Fiction, September 2013 (Asimov's Science Fiction #452)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  18 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Asimov's Science Fiction, September 2013
Volume 37, No. 9 (#452)

Sheila Williams, editor
Cover art by Kinuko Craft

CONTENTS

Novelettes
"The Discovered Country" by Ian R. MacLeod
"The Unparallel'd Death-Defying Feats of Astoundio, Escape Artist Extraordinaire" by Ian Creasey
"A Hole in the Ether" by Benjamin Crowell

Short Stories
"What We Ourselves Are Not" by Leah Cypess
"As yet Unti...more
Published July 18th 2013 by Dell Magazines

To ask other readers questions about Asimov's Science Fiction, September 2013, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Asimov's Science Fiction, September 2013

Shawn Camp
A couple of strong outings from Leah Cypess and Tom Purdon. Jay O'Connel and James Sallis provided entertaining pieces. But I couldn't get into the hole in the ether or the title piece leaving this issue a strong three and a half stars.
Joe Martin
When I’ve reviewed magazine issues in the past, I’ve always attempted to review every single story in the issue. That’s a noble goal but it’s also a little overwhelming and off putting. For this issue, I decided to do something different. I decided to just review the stories I liked and to ignore the rest. And, wouldn’t you know it, this turned out to be the issue that I really liked almost everything.

Novelettes

The Unparallel’d Death-Defying Feats of Astoundio, Escape Artist Extraordinaire by...more
Kam-Yung Soh
An average issue with interesting stories by Ian R. MacLeod and Tom Purdom, two back-to-back "alien visitor" stories by Jay O'Connell and Dominica Phetteplace, and a tribute story to Ray Bradbury by Benjamin Crowell that sounds promising but somewhat let down by a lack of 'follow-through' on the idea of holding on to a treasure-trove of pirated books in a era of tough copyright and permission surveillance.

- "The Discovered Country" by Ian R. MacLeod: an atmospheric tale about the Farside, a simu...more
Denise Barney
Interesting mix of stories, including "A Hole in the Ether," inspired by "Fahrenheit 451." However, instead of burning books, they are suppressed by copyrights that never expire and the idea of legal ownership. The effect, in this story is the same. " What We Ourselves Are Not" examines the question of culture; its importance to our self-identity. "A Stranger from a Foreign Ship" reminded me a bit of a noir-ish story from the 1920's. I also enjoyed the poem "A New Literary Canon" that pokes fun...more
G33z3r
A couple of good stories, but nothing really outstanding.

"What We Ourselves Are Not" was my favorite, rumination on diversity and whether preserving cultural differences is really such a great idea.

"A Hole in the Ether" was cute mostly because it's topical, imagining a future where mere possession of a book without DRM is a major crime.

"A Stranger from a Foreign Ship" was something like a Wildcards story, a guy with a strange psychic power.
Deborah Replogle
Deborah Replogle marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Jay O'Connell
Jun 29, 2014 Jay O'Connell rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Jeff Hitchcock
Jeff Hitchcock marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Shaelt
Shaelt marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
姿婷 熊
姿婷 熊 marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Abdelraman Almokhraty
Abdelraman Almokhraty marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2014
Rhiannon Floyd
Rhiannon Floyd marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2014
Nare
Nare added it
Aug 26, 2013
Gerry
Gerry marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2013
Dominica Phetteplace
Dominica Phetteplace marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2013

Sheila Williams is the editor of Asimov's Science Fiction magazine. She is also the recipient of the 2012 Hugo Award for Best Editor, Short Form.

Sheila grew up in a family of five in western Massachusetts. Her mother had a master's degree in microbiology. Ms. Williams’ inte...more
More about Sheila Williams...
Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine: 30th Anniversary Anthology Why I Left Harry's All Night Hamburgers and Other Stories Asimov's Science Fiction, February 2013 Asimov's Science Fiction, February 2014 Enter a Future, Fantastic Tales from Asimov's Science Fiction