Start by marking “Water” as Want to Read:
Water

Water (The Mermaid Legacy #1)

Surrender to the power of the water... Alex knows she is different. She’s plagued by nightmares that feel shockingly real and an intense restlessness she cannot explain. As the long hot summer holidays stretch before her, Alex seeks out adventure in the rugged mountains of Injasuthi. But during a camping trip to the mystic jade pools, Alex meets Merrick, a boy who tells ...more
Published August 16th 2013 by Carina (Harlequin UK)

To ask other readers questions about Water, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Water

Azahara Arenas (Living in Our Own Story Blog)
MI PERSONAJE FAVORITO: Merrick es el mejor personaje de todos, es el más completo y el más dulce. Definitivamente pasaría por todo lo que Alexa pasa a lo largo del libro solo para poder tener a un Merrick para mí misma.

Opinión: Conseguí este título a través de Netgalley y básicamente lo solicité por la portada tan mística que tiene, por el título y porque por raro que parezca nunca había leído ningún libro de sirenas.

Me encantó que el libro este ambientado en África porque nunca antes había leíd
Sienna Logan (Lost to Books)
The cover caught my attention of this book. I love the colours and after I read the description it sounded exactly like something I would love. However now that I have read it the only word I can think of to describe this book is boring! I hate to say it as I had high hopes for this book. I mean; revealing truths, mermaids, adventures and an exciting new setting in Africa sounds interesting right? Well it wasn't.

It has taken me over a week to read this book as it just hasn't kept my attention. I
Aug 28, 2013 Sarah rated it did not like it
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Harlequin (UK) Limited, Carina, and Netgalley.)
Teen Alexandra is sent away with her brother to spend the summer with a family friend. Whilst there Alex hears stories about ‘fish-people’, and how her friend Josh’s tribe was blamed for the disappearance of a woman called Talita.

Alexandra then meets Merrick who turns out to be one of these ‘fish people’. He takes her swimming to the magical underwater wor
Jayd
Aug 24, 2013 Jayd rated it liked it
Review from booksfoodandotherthings.wordpress.com

Alex is different from other girls. She has a traumatic past which haunts her dreams, and she lives near the mountains of Injasuthi – which hold a lot of stories, folklore and mysteries. Escaping the watchful eye of her father, she camps near the beautiful stretches of water in the mountains. There, she meets the Oceanid boy, Merrick. He introduces her to the Oceanid world, and she discovers that her half-human half-mermaid heritage is what the Oc
Katlyn Duncan
Nov 02, 2013 Katlyn Duncan rated it really liked it
Gorgeous cover! A different take on the mermaid genre. I loved the setting and Alex's progression throughout the novel. I am excited to read the sequel!
Ariel Samone Taylor
Oct 17, 2013 Ariel Samone Taylor rated it it was amazing
I think it will be a great book.
Olivia (Bookcomet)
It took me a LONG time to know what to rate this book. I kept thinking this wasn't so good so maybe I should drop the rating...or, that was fantastic, I should definitely raise it...So, as you can see, I settled on 3.5/5 and I'm fairly confident in that.

First off, mermaids are probably my favourite paranormal creature to read about. So my expectations were pretty high. But were they met? Almost, so close too. The story was pretty good, it introduced some new ideas but not anything particularly
Alanna (The Flashlight Reader)
This cover is stunning! Simply beautiful. I fell in love with it instantly. Then I read the synopsis and realized this was a mermaid story. Score!

I found the idea behind Water to be refreshing. There was a certain mythology that gave it an air of mystery. Also, there was a strong message of conservation and anti-pollution that was different. It's not your normal "mermaid" story.

For readers, you will find the setting interesting. It was hard for me to know if the geography in the book was legit
Fiona Wilson
Actual rating - 3.5 Stars

Alex is a young girl who suffers from nightmares involving water. She cannot shake the feeling that there is some reality in her nightmares, and that scares her.

Wanting a bit of an adventure Alex agrees to go away for a few days with her friends, but none of them could have guessed exactly where that adventure would take them.

In a short space of time Alex has to come to grips with that fact that she is someone special, there is a reason for her having the nightmares, and
Karla
Sep 26, 2013 Karla rated it it was ok
Alex has always been different from her fellow peers. Her nights are a collection of terrifying dreams and the rest of her life is shadowed by s sense of separation, of not being able to properly belong with these people, to this world. She escapes her everyday life for the summer, instead trekking across African mountains and encountering the mysterious Merrick, who somehow knows more about her own being than she does. Merrick introduces her to a whole new world - a world where she finds a ...more
Diamond
Sep 13, 2013 Diamond rated it did not like it
Note: this review is based on the first 30% of the book. I DNF the rest. Due to the fact that it's an e-arc I thought I should explain a bit why I did not finish.

The part with Merrick. When this male character is introduced is immediately when I started to not feel the story, the dynamic changed. the interaction between the MC and Merrick was simply not natural or organic. it Just didnt feel real.

Also, I became way too confused with what universe the book is in. What reality? There are Referenc
Cheryl M-M
Aug 27, 2013 Cheryl M-M rated it really liked it
This has the potential to be a lot more.
There is so much going on that sometimes less is more and it doesn't all have to be packed into one book.
Kudos to the author for slipping in the ecological and environmental agenda and making it part and parcel of the fantastical scenario. This way it is calling attention to an almost hidden toxic problem, which is being ignored on a global level, whilst entertaining the reader with stories of merpeople.
The various tribes of merpeople are quite vast and co
Ardis
Aug 02, 2013 Ardis rated it liked it
I really liked the fact that this book takes place in Africa; the setting is unique for this American reader and the descriptions are gorgeous. Also unique is this take on the increasingly popular (spoiler alert?) girl-discovers-she's-a-mermaid story: the plot line and strong environmental message are both a breath of fresh air, although teens today probably won't need the life cycle lessons some of the main characters impart to our less-educated heroine, Alexandra.
Taryn
Jul 05, 2014 Taryn rated it did not like it
Ugh. So promising after the success of vampires and werewolves however it isn't intelligent enough for adults and there's not enough romantic frisson for teens. The romance is described but not felt making it an exceedingly boring read; with laboured descriptions of water. I'll stick to dry land.
Ailbe
May 24, 2016 Ailbe rated it it was ok
DNF. It gets a 2 instead of a 1 because it did take me until halfway through the book to realise it was this bad...
Kathryn
Kathryn rated it it was amazing
Jun 02, 2016
Brooke Davenport
Brooke Davenport rated it it was ok
Oct 21, 2013
Joanne Garbett
Joanne Garbett rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2014
Mirianne
Mirianne rated it liked it
Oct 14, 2013
Praise
Praise rated it it was amazing
Oct 30, 2013
Ali
Ali rated it it was ok
Aug 28, 2013
Alyhana Childs
Alyhana Childs rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2015
Leanna
Feb 27, 2015 Leanna marked it as did-not-finish
Shelves: ya, e-books
my e-galley expired before I could finish this, but I would like to read it someday.
Isabella
Isabella rated it it was ok
Sep 04, 2014
Kelly
Kelly rated it did not like it
Mar 03, 2015
Jess Murray
Jess Murray rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2013
Christina Schellenbach
Christina Schellenbach rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2013
Hayley Hinz
Hayley Hinz rated it it was ok
May 21, 2015
Carmela Combs
Carmela Combs rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2013

The Mermaid Legacy (2 books)
  • Fire (The Mermaid Legacy - Book 2)