Start by marking “How To Survive Your Sisters” as Want to Read:

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

How To Survive Your Sisters

Alternate cover edition for ISBN-10: 148273155X
ISBN-13: 978-1482731552

A wonderfully warm and witty debut novel about family secrets and sibling rivalry.

The four MacLeod sisters are no strangers to sisterly rivalry and with one of them about to be married, there are bound to be fireworks. Perfectionist Natalie wants the 'wedding of the year'. Harassed mother, Milly, just wi
Paperback, Latest edition, 386 pages
Published June 18th 2013 by Across the Pond Press (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about How To Survive Your Sisters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How To Survive Your Sisters

Tea Jovanović
Zabavam ženski roman, čik-lit :)
Chloe
Dec 06, 2009 Chloe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The MacLeod sisters are all incredibly different, and boy don’t they know it. Eldest sister Avril is a successful Hollywood agent, choosing to live life mainly away from her family with the high-flying lead actors and actresses of the film industry. Milly, a mum of 3 is constantly putting on a happy front to her sisters but is desperate to lose weight and get rid of her maternity jogging bottoms for good.

Bride-to-be Natalie is determined to be welcomed into the Potterton-Smythe’s family and that
Phuong
Apr 28, 2011 Phuong rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't expect from it at first, because it's written in Britain English which I'm not really familiar with. I did read few pages one time, then gave it up because it was hard to understand. After few months, I decided to give it another shoot, and this time I made it to the end. It was amazingly good,I like every page of description about characters' characteristics, stories of The MacLeod, stories of the four sisters, their childhood and everything.It's entertaining,and deep at the same time ...more
Maggie
Mar 08, 2013 Maggie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Funny witty made me laugh out loud. This is a wacky family who love each other but have the trials and tribulations of a family. Romance, enmity, family rivalry and a great bitch of a sister. It is all there. For sisters around the world and a good laugh read this one.

Look out for the new book " Looking for LaLa which has been launched by Amazon an is on special offer. It is a fast paced murder mystery which I loved.Great character descriptions which you can identify with.
Ellie Campbell
Jan 31, 2015 Ellie Campbell rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
How to Survive Your Sisters is special to us because the mother in it, Peggy, was based on our own wonderfully wacky eccentric mother – Pam and I wanting to preserve the memories of her originality and humour. Both being writers and coming from a family of four sisters, we also wanted to include the ups and downs of sibling rivalry.

Hope you enjoy!

Carla
Jun 30, 2014 Carla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How is it that sisters can bring you apart and put you back together? They are the pieces of the best and the worst, the history and the future of you; the ones who know your next move, your thoughts, and your deep secrets (sometimes); and they drive you MAD!
The MacLeod sisters are no different. Their parents Peggy - who will talk to anyone and overshare and Callum - despite his drinking problem has a good heart and painful past, has certainly brought together a combination within their girls.
Av
Melissa Stephan
Jul 13, 2013 Melissa Stephan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book as part of a First Reads giveaway, meaning I did not pay for it.

This review will be almost entirely spoiler free, spoilers will be in a separate section.

-SPOILER FREE-
What I liked:
I liked this book overall because I enjoyed the characters. Sometimes in books which focus on more than one character the relationships feel forced. Either one character is too flawed or not flawed enough or gets too much or too little attention. I found that this book had the perfect blend of
Arlena
By: Ellie Campbell
Published By: CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform
Age Recommended: Adult
Reviewed By: Arlena Dean
Rating: 4
Book Blog For: NOR
Review:

"How To Survive Your Sisters" by Ellie Campbell was of four sisters and one was getting marriage and wanting the 'perfect wedding' in this chick-lit read.

I will say that the characters seemed to be in a world of their own being well portrayed and so colorful with each sister having their own story. This author did a good job at blending the va
Marina
Sep 06, 2014 Marina rated it really liked it
Well, I’m not the most appropriate person to review this book probably, simply because I don’t have any siblings. I grew up as an only child with plenty of cousins and friends, but it is not the same. But that didn’t stop me from being a part of Macleod family and enjoying this everything-but-boring book.

The story is centered around the Macleod family and their four daughters: Natalie, Millie, Avril and Hazel. Natalie is getting married and her wedding is certainly an exciting event for the whol
Renee
May 01, 2013 Renee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First let me say "refreshing" that is how I will describe this book. I was loving the witty take on weddings. Of course the entire family is supposed to be bowing at Natalie's feet. She wants the perfect wedding and I will compare her to a bridezilla. The fact that another sister Milly just wants to be out of maternity clothing, and Hazel (love the name) want everyone to take her serious. Avril, could be my fave sister!

The premise is Natalie and Jeremy's wedding. It is ideal and the fact that th
Silvana
Jan 24, 2014 Silvana rated it it was amazing
How to survive three sisters and how your parents survive four of you?
Natalie is one of four sisters; she is good looking, blonde and fashionable woman. She likes to be the center of attention of all of the family, but everything she does is to let them know that she is smart and valuable. Always when Natalie wants to prove herself makes a lot of mistakes and annoys the other family members.
Milly is great person, mother of four children and she is the saint in family. Milly cares for all, for
Sheri
Feb 15, 2015 Sheri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How To Survive Your Sisters by Ellie Campbell

The MacLeod sisters gather together after many years for a wedding. Natalie is a perfectionist, she wants the "wedding of the year". Housewife and Mother Milly, wants to lose some weight and look good in her bridesmaid's dress. Career woman Avril, is secretly involved with a married man. And Hazel, the youngest just wants to to be taken seriously.

A tragedy hits the family and things begin to come unglued. Everyone has a secret, shocking as they may be
Meredith Schorr
Jun 26, 2014 Meredith Schorr rated it really liked it

I have two older sisters and know that much of my personality is probably a result of being the youngest of three girls. When I saw this book was about 4 sisters, I had to read it and I was not disappointed. (side note: I think the cover suggests that this book is mainly about Natalie and I would have preferred a cover more "sisterly.")

I will admit that it took me a little while to get into the story. For the first quarter, I couldn't keep the sisters straight. Once I got a solid unders
Allie Smith
Jan 06, 2014 Allie Smith rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction-chicklit
The MacLeod sisters are four very different individuals who share quite a history. Avril, the oldest, is a dedicated career woman with little time or patience to fall in love and have a relationship. Milly is the overwrought mother of four who is approaching a midlife breakdown. Natalie is the Stepford wife wanna-be who has become an almost intolerable Bridezilla in her attempt to win over her future in-laws. Hazel, the baby of the family, is a vagabond, free-spirited woman-child who gets along ...more
Kathy Bryson
May 15, 2014 Kathy Bryson rated it it was amazing
The opening scene introduces 4 sisters and their conflicts in stark relief. Natalie pities her sister Milly who’s just had her 4th child, Avery condemns Natalie for announcing her wedding plans and stealing the spotlight, and Hazel, who’s not even there, upsets everyone by spreading rumors that the baby was a mistake. As Natalie’s wedding plans progress, all the tensions in this highly dysfunctional family come to light. One boyfriend describes them about halfway through the book, “the entire ...more
Shelly Broussard
Jan 28, 2016 Shelly Broussard rated it liked it
I recieved "How To Survive Your Sisters" through First Reads. It is the story of four sisters with contrasting personalities, differing views about childhood memories, old wounds, and dark secrets that come together for the first time in years to celebrate one's wedding. Tragedy strikes and they fight harder before coming together. The MacLeod sisters reminded me of Marian Keyes' Walsh family, but because the novel was about all four sisters rather than focusing on one, it took me awhile to even ...more
Julie
Aug 10, 2014 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Hilarious, true to life. Sisters know everything, from the first kiss to the time you snuck out to go to a concert, and all the in betweens. They have pictures of your ridiculous us perm from 6th grade and aren't afraid to use it. This book captures that spirit in a functionally dysfunctional family and a thoroughly enjoyable read.
Tammy
Apr 01, 2014 Tammy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book set in Scotland kind of fun. 4 very different sisters, at first I was mad at all of them and how they acted and treated each other but I had to keep reading because I knew there was more to the story. It was a good read being one of 3 sisters we aren't quite that mean but things are said in the heat of the moment sometimes.
Keshia
Jul 21, 2014 Keshia rated it really liked it
I happened to get this book for free via Amazon, and it was a good read. This book was not at all what I expected. It seemingly was about sisters who constantly bickered and were night and day different, but this family actually had a lot of secrets in the closet. This book will not disappoint.
Anne
Apr 10, 2014 Anne rated it liked it
Shelves: nook
This was an enjoyable portrayal of some intense family dynamics. Take four very different sisters, a wedding, sibling rivalry, insecurities, family secrets and lies throw it all together and you have a story that was amusing and believable.
CNickerson
Mar 29, 2014 CNickerson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Family drama and a half with heart

Family drama and a half with heart

This is an excellent novel about a dysfunctional family in Great Britain. All of the humor, uproar and pathos anyone could wish with lots of romance and dashes of substance abuse.
Toni Dobbins
Sep 03, 2013 Toni Dobbins rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book thru a Good Reads give-a-way. I loved the characters and found the book to be good read that I finished within a couple of days. The characters are well developed and full of personality and humor. A fun book for summer.
Jacqueline
Apr 15, 2014 Jacqueline rated it really liked it
This was definitely a cute read about how no matter the differences and arguments your sisters are always right there.
Deborah
Jan 11, 2015 Deborah rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable read. Four very different sisters with intertwined and individual stories make for a delightful story. PG for some coarse language, but the characters and story were very appealing.
Roberta
Jun 17, 2015 Roberta rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, chicklit
Si fa leggere, ma non è questo granchè. I personaggi sono troppo stereotipati e le vicende inverosimili, compreso il finale.
Lauren
Aug 09, 2011 Lauren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-book
Easy, enjoyable chick-lit read.
Lyn
Feb 27, 2013 Lyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a really fun read. Sibling rivalry, romance, travel, familial love, and much, much more!!
Nikita (NjKinny's World of Books & Stuff)
Feb 27, 2015 Nikita (NjKinny's World of Books & Stuff) rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Nikita by: Ellie Campbell

How To Survive Your Sisters is a humourous story of four sisters with ample rivalry, jealousy, episodes of love and their own romances thrown in to make this book a perfect spicy read for a lazy afternoon.

I loved the cover which shows a bride with an irritated look and instantly attracts your attention making your eager to know why she is irritated and angry. Then the blurb is an added bonus which interested me further to request the authors for a copy to
JMV
Sep 21, 2016 JMV rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having sisters myself, this book did a good job showing how we each think the other has it better but when things get tough, family is alway there!
Steph Dinning
Mar 29, 2015 Steph Dinning rated it it was amazing
A really good entertaining wholesome read with great plots and even better characters. The fact that I didn't know anything that was going to happen even to the very end is an added bonus.
The 4 Macleod sisters are all very different and I disliked each one at a time and liked each one too. I kinda liked Natalie from the start but then I grew to hate her for her uptight ways and how she was always trying to please her soon to be in laws and her fiancé Jeremy was just a prick from the start but a
  • No More Mulberries
  • Surviving the Rachel
  • Bootie and the Beast
  • Tomorrow's Promise
  • Trust in Time (Shaw Brothers Series, Vol. 2)
  • Baking Bree
  • Scarred (The Anderson Brothers, #1)
  • There's Something About You
  • Lost & Found in Egypt: A Most Unlikely Journey Through the Shifting Sands of Love and Loss
  • Done With Men
  • Winter's Gift (La Bohème, #1)
  • More Than Magic (Books of the Kindling, #1)
  • Alice's Portrait (The Lockwood Legacy #3)
  • The Lighter Side of Large
  • The One She Was Warned About
  • The Girl He Left Behind
  • Jay Walking (Pastime Pursuits #2)
  • Summer in Sweetwater County (Sweetwater County, #3)
Ellie Campbell is the author name for two sisters, Lorraine Campbell and Pam Burks, who write together collaborating by phone and email from Surrey, UK and Colorado, USA. They have published six novels, How To Survive Your Sisters, When Good Friends Go Bad, Looking For La La, To Catch a Creeper, Million Dollar Question and Meddling With Murder.
More about Ellie Campbell...