Start by marking “Jonathan's Hope” as Want to Read:
Jonathan's Hope

Jonathan's Hope (Jonathan Trilogy #1)

Abandoned to freeze to death in a winter forest by his father because of his homosexuality, Jonathan desperately struggles to survive, until he accidentally stumbles upon Dan, who owns a cabin in the woods.

Dan has been fighting his own demons since the death of his lover Sean. Having retreated from big city life, he is content to live in solitude, but he never counted on m
Published July 17th 2013 by Yaree AB (first published July 16th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Jonathan's Hope, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jonathan's Hope

The Infinite Jeff by Will HolcombTollesbury Time Forever by Stuart AyrisThe Chimera Vector by Nathan M. FarrugiaThe Seraphim Sequence by Nathan M. FarrugiaIdentity X by Michelle Muckley
Unheralded Books
31st out of 69 books — 33 voters
Brie Embraces the Heart of Submission by Red PhoenixMine by Katy EvansBrie Surrenders her Heart by Red PhoenixTouched by You by T.H. SnyderTouch Me by T.H. Snyder
Platypire Review's Top Books of November 2013
251st out of 279 books — 607 voters

More lists with this book...

Eli Easton
Jan 01, 2014 Eli Easton rated it really liked it
This book has an interesting writing style, and I almost put it down about halfway through but I'm glad I didn't. The last part of the book, once they get into NYC, was really compelling.

The story is about a young man (almost 18) who is abandoned in the woods to die by his homophobic parents and finds his way to a cabin where a gay man who lost his partner a year ago lives (or barely lives, as the case may be).

It's an interesting trope. This particular story is VERY angsty with a lot of dark t
Elizabetta

Once again I’m left out in the cold. I’m not loving this as much as other readers apparently do. This had all the usual elements to pull at your heartstrings: a sweet kid (also left out in the cold) abused by homophobic dad, a Christmas setting, a family pet (who gets some narrative time, too-- say what?!!), the kindness of an older man, and a long story arc with tear-tugging ending…

But it was all too insta and creepy for me. Dan seems too concerned with his immediate attraction to young Jonath
Truus
Oct 20, 2015 Truus rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
5+++++ stars This was a exceptional emotional book.
If a book is above average, its hard to give a suitable and appropriate review Not give it less than it deserves due to limited word estimation.

It was a deep emotional journey of a young abused gay man who was abandoned by his parents.
He knocked totally exhausted on Dan's door. Dan is a widower. Sean his partner died exactly a year before the knock on his door
Thats when Jonathan's and Dan's journey together starts.

Its beautiful, fragile heartb
Shelby P
Nov 15, 2013 Shelby P rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, pets
I was so engrossed in this novel that I read it in 6 hours. It's a fairly short read but I felt like I went through so much with the MCs. You know a book is good when it makes you feel sympathetic towards the villain of the story. At one point, I almost teared up with something Jonathan's father did.

Usually when I read about abuse I wonder "why didn't the mother leave that situation?" or "how could she allow such a thing to happen to her kid?" Here I can understand why Jonathan's mother felt tra
Andrew Peters
Aug 07, 2013 Andrew Peters rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It read to me as almost like a fairytale: a young man abandoned in the wintry woods, a kind widower who takes him in, and a blossoming love that transforms both of their lives. That's not to say the author glosses over the very real world issues of child abuse, bereavement and homophobia. But the perspective is kind and gentle and hopeful, bringing light out of darkness.
Shannon
Sep 09, 2013 Shannon rated it liked it
My advice to anyone reading this book....skip the fucking epilogue!! Otherwise a good read, a little awkward in places but not bad.
Joleen
Dec 10, 2015 Joleen marked it as really-want-tr-mm  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm
FREE at Hans' web site (along with other titles) and ARe! 6-10-15
Debbie McGowan
Oct 27, 2015 Debbie McGowan rated it it was amazing
I've read three novels by Hans M. Hirschi in the past month, and this is without a doubt my favourite, yet it's the only one of the three where I have been in two minds whether to give it 4 or 5 stars. I've spent a couple of days reflecting on why, and have gone with 5 stars because...(view spoiler) ...more
Hans Hirschi
Mar 02, 2014 Hans Hirschi rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-own-books
AUTHOR REVIEW:

It all started on a dull winter Friday, with an image: A man sitting in front of his fire place in a cabin, by a lake. The scenery wintery, lots of snow. By his feet, his beloved dog. It started out as a short story, but when I saw my fingers typing how someone knocked on the door, I realized that something else was going on, something I felt the need to explore.

Jonathan's Hope, like my other novels so far, is about starting a family, although this is never really explored in the b
J. James
Jul 17, 2014 J. James rated it really liked it
This is a heart-warming tale that shows that true love, compassion and companionship can be found in a sometimes cruel world. I imagine that many people who have faced struggles in their lives will connect with this book. Although sometimes the scenarios seemed far fetched - it added to the escapism and the sentiment of the tale. The story plot build up very well and the pace was great. I thought the ending was a sweet way to finish. The writing style was familiar to another book I have read ...more
Don
Jul 25, 2015 Don rated it it was amazing
Two men, each with a lot of baggage meet and fall on in love. Each have a lot of issues to resolve, especially Jonathan. With Dan at his side, can Jonathan overcome a traumatic childhood and things from the past that continue to arrive and haunt him. Can Dan whose recovering from the death of his life partner learn to love again, a boy-man on the cusp of manhood and only 18? This story is stunning and gripping.
Dreamer80
Oct 03, 2016 Dreamer80 rated it it was amazing
I completely adored this book. So much feels.
Neet
Nov 27, 2016 Neet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about hope. Dan hopes he can get by another day with the memories of a dead lover and the life they built together to get him thru. Jonathan hopes he can be spared his father's wrath and rabid abuse and hopes his father never finds out he is gay. Of course, the worlds of Dan & Jon collide...Dan engulfed in his grief for the love he loss tragically a year ago answers a knock on his cabin door and comes face to face with a frightened, cold, and dirty and starving 17 year old ...more
Kris
Jul 22, 2013 Kris rated it it was amazing
Very sweet and touching story about a seventeen year old boy that is abandoned by his family when he finally comes out to them. At the brink of death, he wanders into the warm cabin of a reclusive man who is dealing with his own feelings of grief and loss. Together, they save each other. I laughed and cried and can't wait to read more from this new author!
Tracy
Jun 12, 2015 Tracy rated it really liked it
I usually don't read too many books with that kind of ending but when I do it's always a bittersweet feeling....sometimes i'm better off believing in the happily ever after fairy tale and sometimes there is this and it was beautiful and good epilogue. I liked to hear about their future together and their family. Sad and happy story.
Denise
Nov 20, 2013 Denise rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
My friend recommended this to me just the other day and she was right. This book was great, from page one you are completely taken in to this books. I loved everything about this book except the epilogue. It was a good one just not my kind of epilogue.
dblue
Oct 31, 2014 dblue rated it really liked it
This is my first Hans Hirschi book. I chose Jonathan’s Hope as the first of his books to read because when I met the author at GRL and we were discussing my need for happy endings, this one sounded like it would be a fit for me. I am happy to say it was, but I will also say there is quite a bit of angst.

We first meet Dan who is struggling with his grief on the day that marks the one-year anniversary since his life partner, Sean, died. Dan has chosen to live in the cabin that they had remodeled t
GayListBookReviews
Dec 28, 2013 GayListBookReviews rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this story of love and survival. I felt for a first novel and that English being the author's sixth language it is well written. I like Hans style of writing, it is raw in places and to the point where it counts and had me floored completely with unexpected turns of events. Good expository information that blends well throughout, with good character descriptions giving them depth and a real insight into their hopes and fears making them feel very much alive. Realistic detail ...more
Silvia
Jan 23, 2016 Silvia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tender and hopeful

Jonathan's Hope is a very tender love story, just the kind I love to read.

So what's it about? Dan is a 31 year old freelance writer who lives alone in a small rustic cabin deep in the country. On a cold winter day marking the one year anniversary of his lover's death, Dan answers a knock on his door. Standing before him in tattered clothing is a young malnourished teenager by the name of Jonathan, whose parents abandoned him in the forest after they found out he was gay. Thus b
Garry Tuckwell
Apr 04, 2014 Garry Tuckwell rated it it was amazing
This is one of those very rare books that lives with you long after you've finished it. The main characters are drawn so lovingly, with such compassion, that they find their way into your heart early on in the story and simply refuse to budge. This is the second Hans M Hirschi story I've read in quick succession and I started his other book 'The Opera House' straight after finishing it - I'm quickly becoming a fan. This is an author who doesn't shy away from big issues, he tackles them head on ...more
Vfields Don't touch my happy!
Stark Bleak. The word I would choose to describe the first two-thirds of this book is bleak. Not even when the two main characters who come together find each other, heal each other, grow together and find love somehow it still feels bleak. Don't get me wrong I overall liked the story. The back story was well done and so necessary to give this whole book a complete feeling. Here comes the part that's going to sound a bit odd. It felt like it was written by somebody from Norway or Sweden or ...more
sk B
Feb 16, 2014 sk B rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
4.5 on star, but rounded up because it was so well written. (-.5 is for the little bits of 'disney perfection')

first off, the writer has a really unique style of writing. it flows from various characters 1st to 3rd to even ( a very rare few times) author narrative. some may not like that style, but it worked for the book, and i think thats what really added the depth. the author shows things from so many angles, without somehow making you drunk on perspectives.

the story itself, albeit a bit typi
Ursula (Teddy)
Jul 26, 2013 Ursula (Teddy) rated it it was amazing
A thoroughly enjoyable read. A story of love and survival with some heartbreaking moments. A story of a seventeen year old abused and abandon in a forest, because of his sexuality by his father. Just when he all hope appears to be lost to Jonathan, he comes across a cabin in the forest occupied by Dan trying to deal with issues of loss of his own. Together they find the strength to build a new future, but it's not without fear and heartbreak.

A love story I just couldn't put down. Warning: keep a
Marcella
Jul 09, 2015 Marcella rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m-romance
This story was great from start to finish. The writing style was different from what I am used to reading but the story flowed so well.

Jonathan's plight broke my heart, and I am not ashamed to say that I cried several times throughout the book. This story just reinforced for me what the kindness of strangers can lead to. Dan was a wonderful character and his heartache was so palpable that I felt his loss.

This is my first book by this author, but it will not be my last. He did a great job of bri
Daniela
Sep 10, 2016 Daniela rated it really liked it
A story about love that portraits the balance between affection and physical attraction that exists in happy life-long relationships. In a simple and yet beautiful way, the author presents us the characters in a vivid and human way, with their flaws, insecurities and dilemmas made natural. This made me relate to them, suffer with their anguish and rejoice with their happiness. With some unexpected mishaps and plot twists, this book has always made me want to keep on reading it. Until the end, ...more
Becca Finn
Mar 05, 2014 Becca Finn rated it really liked it
Shelves: dnf
So this was on it's way to a solid 4 star rating. Unfortunately I had to stop reading it. There was a very graphic recounting of a character's past that nearly sent me into a panic attack. This, for some reason, was so triggering to me that I can't continue the book without seeing flashes of it.

That isn't the author's fault, so I will rate it based on what I had read until that point. The writing style was nice, very unique. I felt like the author was having a conversation with me (mostly one-si
Jor Barrie
Sep 20, 2015 Jor Barrie rated it it was amazing
OK, I'm biased; any story that takes place in a little cabin in a wintry forest by a lake is likely to get my approval, even without its tall, dark, handsome, nice and hairy-chested occupant. ;)

But besides that it's a very compelling, emotional story, often about life in its more homophobic state. There are some pretty harrowing bits, one could say realistic, although fortunately for most people in this part of the world it won't be their reality.

So it's a story full of tragedy, but also of lov
Manuela
Dear Author, did you want to give me a heart attack? I had heart palpitations, was about to throw my kindle in the corner, refuse to continue reading about 65 % into the book with one f**king sentence.
(view spoiler) How could you leave me hanging with a quivering lip, tears in my eyes, brain spinning about 100 m/h? Don't you ever do that to me again. I am getting older, you know and my heart cannot take heartrending love stories anymore.
Loved it,
Maggie
Jun 13, 2015 Maggie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book

I wasn't sure where this story was going to go....I was happily surprised at how much I did like it. Not really an insta love fan, I did think the writer took some time in developing the characters and storyline. The only thing I wasn't too happy with was the epilogue. It was nice to see their family and such, I have a hard time with the death of any main character. It was handled well, I just wish it had been written differently.
Kathy Morris
Apr 19, 2015 Kathy Morris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m-books
A Heart Breaker

I loved this book. Once I started reading I couldn't put it down. This book is a heart breaker. It tugs at your heart stings and you just can't imagine how anyone could treat their child like that. You feel so much sadness for Jonathan. When he stumbles onto Dan's cabin you feel so happy for him. The next few months are so bad for Jonathan but he has Dan and that's all that matters. With Dan by his side he can get through anything.
This book is a must read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Crush (The House on Glass Beach #1)
  • The Door Behind Us
  • More Than Anything (Something More, #2)
  • Saving Liam
  • Billy's Bones
  • The Consequence of High Caliber (The Mako Shark, #1)
  • Ómorphi
  • Purpose
  • Spencer (Survivor Stories #3)
  • Trusting Love
  • Vices (Cold Hard Truths, #1)
  • Missing
  • Lorcan's Desire (Whispering Pines Ranch, #1)
  • The Darker Side of Trey Grey (Trey Grey, #1)
  • A Beautiful Lie
  • The Tin Box
  • Just Hit Send
  • Final Admission
Born and raised in Switzerland, Hans graduated from High School in Arizona, worked for several years in the Swiss financial industry before pursuing his university studies in Zurich and Gothenburg.

His majors include literature, linguistics & social sciences.

Hans self-published his first book with poetry and a short story in 1991.

Nine years later, he followed up with a professional book on e-le
More about Hans M. Hirschi...

Jonathan Trilogy (3 books)
  • Jonathan's Promise