Start by marking “Welcome to My Jungle: An Unauthorized Account of How a Regular Guy Like Me Survived Years of Touring with Guns N Roses, Pet Wallabies, Crazed Groupies, Axl Rose's Moth Extermination System, and Other Perils on the Road with One of the Greatest Rock Ba...” as Want to Read:

Guns N’ Roses fans know the Use Your Illusion tour went on nonstop from 1991 to 1993. They know that concerts sold out in minutes all over the world so fans could hear chart-topping singles Welcome to the Jungle, Sweet Child of Mine, Paradise City, and November Rain live. They know the Use Your Illusion tour was the last for the band with Slash and Duff. But they’ve only h ...more
Published May 13th 2014 by BenBella Books

To ask other readers questions about Welcome to My Jungle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Welcome to My Jungle

Leon del Muerte
Jul 21, 2014 Leon del Muerte rated it did not like it
Craig Duswalt comes off as a nice guy. Seriously, he seems to be a pretty mild, boring sort of guy that happened to be in the right place at the right time.

Unfortunately, that doesn't make for very entertaining reading. Every story starts with a central conceit of how "crazy" the story will get, but the pay off NEVER happens in any of the stories. Every time you think there's about to be some hilarious thing or insane revelation, Craig pulls it back and says that he can't talk about it or refers
Jonathan Anderson
Sep 19, 2014 Jonathan Anderson rated it did not like it
Goodreads says one star stands for "I didn't like it", which is not my scale. I'm giving this book one star because I can't do halves, and that half would only be because there are remarkably few copy errors in this book. I swear, that's the only virtue of this particular tome.

If you're like me and looking for stories about Axl Rose that you may not have heard, you're out of luck. You'll hear a lot about Craig Duswalt, as well as be subjected to an obnoxious amount of ads for his seminars about
Nov 12, 2014 Sarah rated it did not like it
Terrible. Absolutely terrible! Not only is Craig a shit writer, but the stories are boring, and everything written about Australia is false. I thought the 'interesting facts' chapter might have redeemed it some, but it only dug a deeper grave. Axl smokes his cigarettes with a filter - that's supposed to be an interesting fact?! Give me a break. I was just about ready to give this up halfway through when the author started plugging his own business in the book; and attempting to loosely tie it to ...more
Nicole
Jan 15, 2016 Nicole rated it did not like it
Have your children ever asked you about GNR but you were worried there wasn't a family-friendly book out there to share with them? Do you like the idea of reading awesome rock star stories without the need to actually read any? Are you interested in Craig Duswalt's seminars on how to be a Rockstar in your own industry? These are the only three reasons I can come up with to read this book.

There are many promises of great stories and never any follow through, or they are told in a truncated lame
Elizabeth Kulpa
Dec 17, 2015 Elizabeth Kulpa rated it it was ok
I guess it's mildly interesting to find out what roadies do all day to entertain themselves, or to read of minute, mundane details of who Axl Rose will sign an autograph for, and why. What's not so diverting is temperamental, drug-addled rockstars getting their images whitewashed by hangers-on like Duswalt because he's such a classy guy he doesn't want to gossip (which he tells you repeatedly). Unfortunately Craig, those are the only reasons anyone would want to read your book. The author comes ...more
Tara Harrold
Sep 19, 2014 Tara Harrold rated it did not like it
Very little backstage goss. The stories often are anticlimactic. The few times he starts telling stories of famous/infamous events, he glosses over them, the Kurt & Courtney incident being a prime example. His writing style is quite frustrating to read too. Disappointing.
Adam
Jul 19, 2016 Adam rated it really liked it
Really cool stories from an insider. Easy, quick read for fans of guns 'n roses or anyone who dreams of living like a rock star.
Walt Grassl
May 12, 2014 Walt Grassl rated it it was amazing
This is such an entertaining book, I can't put it down. Craig is a great storyteller and boy, does he have some stories to tell. Well done, Craig.
Frank
Jun 25, 2014 Frank rated it it was ok
Meh. Only for the die-hards.
Georgette
May 21, 2014 Georgette rated it really liked it
This was a fun little book. Compared to the one I read before it, hell yeah. I think Craig has an unvarnished view of the world that was Guns N' Roses. He doesn't bring the dirt to the table, and I'm sure that's a lot of the reason he is still on good terms with Axl and members of what used to be the classic GNR lineup. There are a LOT of funny anecdotes in here about Axl...mostly the killer moth elimination system... but overall, not a lot about the rest of the band. Given that he was basically ...more
Gabriela
May 26, 2015 Gabriela rated it did not like it
I do not want to discount the relationship of Craig Duswalt and the members of GNR in any way, but here's what my impression from the book was: Duswalt thinks he is one of the Guns n' Roses, but he is not. And his stories are like that. E.g. the chapter "Slash Dies" which sounds very dramatic and makes the reader dive into it with their breath held a little says that Duswalt cannot go deeper into that particular story for legal reasons, that he was not actually there but only heard of the ...more
Topher
Mar 14, 2015 Topher rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I thought this was a great book - very very fun to read!

I saw this, thought about seeing guns-n-roses 2x in high school, and decided I needed to read it. Then, when I got home with it, I started feeling regret. GnR has a certain reputation for wildness, and tell-all type books have a reputation for focusing on the juicy exploitative details. I almost returned it unread.

However, Craig Duswalt does a great job of telling a very entertaining story of his time with GnR without focusing on the negati
Lisa
May 25, 2016 Lisa rated it really liked it
This book was written by Axl Rose's personal assistant, Craig, during the Use Your Illusion Tour. I found the book to be quite entertaining. However, if you're looking for personal or juicy stories about the band on the road or anything about the band falling apart, you'd be better off reading the band members books. Craig clearly wants to stay on good terms with the band and avoids anything too juicy.

What this book does have is stories of the GNR entourage; pranks, being decoys so the band memb
Sandra Champlain
May 12, 2014 Sandra Champlain rated it it was amazing
I've seen Craig Duswalt deliver motivating, energetic and fun performances at seminars, so it was natural to buy his book to get more of him. His ability to put a smile on my face in "Welcome to My Jungle" is equal to what he does in person.

Most of us can only assume what happens behind the scenes at rock concerts and can imagine the weird and wacky personalities behind the musicians. Craig Duswalt gives such descriptions that go FAR past my imagination. "Welcome to My Jungle" is mind-blowing..
Jim Gardner
May 12, 2014 Jim Gardner rated it it was amazing
Craig Duswalt is a brilliant marketer, great storyteller, and business rock star in his own right. Yet he's one of the most down to earth and truly genuine people you could ever know. If you're looking for a book on dirt, this isn't it. Instead, all of Craig's attributes are brought together in the funny, inspiring, and insane stories as he lived them. If you don't know about Gun N' Roses before reading WELCOME TO MY JUNGLE, or even if you've been a loyal fan, you're in for a real rock star tour ...more
Christopher Rausch
May 11, 2014 Christopher Rausch rated it it was amazing
One word- KICKASS!!

Let me start off by saying how refreshing it is to see a book that isn't all trash, smash, and bash! Secondly, I think the author showed REAL class in telling us that it isn't a "Tell ALL" book!

Anyone who's a fan MUST read this! It's loaded full of crazy stories that will have you laughing your a** off!

Plus, it's a great way to really know the people behind the sex, drugs, and booze!
Maurice Dimino
May 13, 2014 Maurice Dimino rated it it was amazing
Craig Duswalt comes through with giving us a world we rarely see. And what a World! To be the manager of Axl Rose of Guns N' Roses was an experience you will discover on every page of this book. You may not be into Guns N' Roses or Rock but you will find something special in this fun and entertaining book.
Kevin Summers
Apr 29, 2016 Kevin Summers rated it it was ok
Shelves: adult
Sample quote: "One night, I forget where, Guns N' Roses forgot to play their biggest hit, 'Welcome to the Jungle." Axl came offstage and nonchalantly said, 'Damn, I think we forgot to play 'Welcome to the Jungle.'' The band members simply replied, 'Hmmm.' And that was it. The only time that ever happened."

Randy Gold
May 11, 2014 Randy Gold rated it it was amazing
Craig Duswalt does an amazing job of bringing you behind the scenes with one of the greatest bands of all time, Guns N' Roses. Not a tell-all book, but a funny and personal look at the hectic and often unpredictable world of being on the road as Axl Rose's personal manager. Great stories that you're just not going to find elsewhere. Simply wonderful!
Jo
Jul 19, 2016 Jo rated it it was amazing
LOVE IT!!!  Could not put the book down!  I felt like I was part of the entourage, living the experience.  Great book, Craig!  This is a MUST READ for every GNR fan.  Actually a great read for all of us who only dream of experiences like this.  ~JoS
Valerie
May 13, 2014 Valerie rated it it was amazing
So excited to have this book in my hands. Craig is a highly entertaining story-teller and I've enjoyed hearing about his crazy escapades with one of the most successful rock bands of all time. Looking forward to this read!
Sharyn
May 12, 2014 Sharyn rated it it was amazing
I love reading these stories...made me wish I had paid more attention to the band when everyone else was playing their albums endlessly...so hard to put down and get back to work...darn it, Craig, you should have included a warning!
Patricia Karen
Aug 25, 2014 Patricia Karen rated it it was amazing
A wonderful account of life in the Rock Star world. Generous in the sharing and brings the reader to turn every page with bated breathe! Loved this book!
Brandon Daviet
Jun 21, 2014 Brandon Daviet rated it really liked it
I only give this four stars cuz it is not longer. If u are a GNR fan it's a must read. Great info and completely believable considering the source
Steven Spoelstra
Jul 03, 2014 Steven Spoelstra rated it liked it
Bit of a disappointment. Still a behind the scenes look at the 90s Use Your Illusion tour. Axl is an interesting guy...
Karen Strauss
May 13, 2014 Karen Strauss rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Duswalt takes you on
a wild ride with one of the hottest bands on the planet. You really feel like you are on tour with Guns and Roses and "in on the joke"
Valerie Owens
Aug 14, 2014 Valerie Owens rated it liked it
This is a nice book. It talked about how nice the band was. if you was some juicy dirt this isn't the right book for you.
Kay
Aug 12, 2014 Kay rated it it was amazing
Loved this behind-the-scenes book. Fun and entertaining. Even better when I found out I knew personally a couple of people mentioned in book.
Larry
May 12, 2014 Larry rated it it was amazing
What a fun, entertaining and action packed read...sometimes, life really is better than fiction! A great book for GnR fans and anyone who likes the rock and roll lifestyle.
April Kwasny flickinger
Meh! Nothing exciting and more of a self promotion book. Only provided glimpses of exciting things to leave out most details and stories.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • My Life as Indiana Jones, James Bond, Superman and Other Action Heroes
  • Lee Marvin: Point Blank
  • It's Only Rock 'n' Roll: Thirty Years Married to a Rolling Stone
  • Bond On Bond: Reflections on 50 years of James Bond Movies
  • The Good, the Bad, and Me: In My Anecdotage
  • Notes on a Cowardly Lion: The Biography of Bert Lahr, With a New Preface by the Author
  • Are You Hungry, Dear?
  • Always On Sunday:  An Inside View of Ed Sullivan, the Beatles, Elvis, Sinatra & Ed's Other Guests
  • My Husband, My Friend: A Memoir
  • The Man Who Seduced Hollywood: The Life and Loves of Greg Bautzer, Tinseltown's Most Powerful Lawyer
  • Don't Shoot, It's Only Me: Bob Hope's Comedy History of the United States