The Next America: Boomers, Millennials, and the Looming Generational Showdown

The Next America: Boomers, Millennials, and the Looming Generational Showdown

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  161 ratings  ·  34 reviews
The America of the near future will look nothing like the America of the recent past.

America is in the throes of a demographic overhaul. Huge generation gaps have opened up in our political and social values, our economic well-being, our family structure, our racial and ethnic identity, our gender norms, our religious affiliation, and our technology use.

Today’s Millennials...more
Published March 4th 2014 by PublicAffairs

To ask other readers questions about The Next America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Next America

Louise
Paul Taylor oversees social, demographic and generational research for the Pew Research Center. He has produced a book that is both a reference volume and an interpretive narrative. The theme is the economic realities of the generations and the problem of caring for a growing graying population.

Charts, graphs and narrative drill down into the inter-generational economic well-being of the four groups: Millenials, Xers, Boomers and Silents. The differences are just as striking as the more widely k...more
Melissa Stacy
A very educational nonfiction title observing a variety of statistics within generational demographies-- primarily between the old and the young (the Baby Boomers and the Silents vs. the Millennials and Gen-Xers). The author cites a plethora of statistical information (the great bulk of which came from Pew Research polls) in order to build to the final chapter, which examines the terrifying problem of the unsustainable entitlement programs (Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid) that will soon...more
Ron
If you're relatively well-read and keep up with Pew studies, this won't really be a shocking book for you all at. It's not really a narrative, as much as it's the data with the normal reports in book form put all together. It's no less informative and extremely useful if you need/want the stats for use in other things. But if you just want a book to read with a more story-like narrative, this isn't really quite the bag.
Mary
A dense book loaded with statistics. In fact, I couldn't finish it. Worthwhile if you are a health policy analyst, a marketer, or a wonk dealing with generational issues. I got enough out of it to wonder if I will see the breaking points in my lifetime. The book did make me more informed about the crises our economy and society will face in the next 50 years due to having fewer younger workers paying into entitlement programs.

Goodreads needs a category for "abandoned" in cases where one began a...more
George Paul
Paul Taylor, The Next America: Boomers, Millennials, and the Looming Generational Showdown (New York: PublicAffairs, 2014). Hardcover / Kindle

The Next America is not a book about how to contextualize the gospel in contemporary America. At least, that was not Paul Taylor’s intention in writing it. And yet, as I read his fascinating new study, I couldn’t help but notice its missiological significance.

Drawing on reamsof research by the Pew Research Center, which he serves as executive vice presid...more
Andie
Author Paul Taylor, formerly of the Washington Post, worked with the Pew Research Center to create this book. I think what they were trying to say with their research and finding is, "Iceberg! Straight ahead!"

The central conflict pits the Baby-boomers against the Millennials.

Taylor says his generation - The Boomers - are having trouble coming to terms with getting old, and the Millennials are having trouble growing up. One generation is working longer (and may still take Social Security down), a...more
Amber
This book has a few interesting factoids, is written accessibly, and doesn't take too long to get through--but ultimately I wouldn't recommend it. It's fairly vacuous; I mean that not in the ultra-pejorative sense, but just that there's not much to it. It's light on policy recommendations, or even just conclusions from all of the demographic data it lays out. Granted, the book doesn't pretend to be much else, but I suppose I just couldn't believe that detailing political, demographic, and fiscal...more
Ed Bernard
This is a fascinating look at the demographic changes that will define America for the next generation. The author is a fellow at the Pew Center, a non-partisan think tank that studies this stuff. It gave me a lot of hope for the millennials, who will be paying for the retirement of boomers like me. As the father of two millennials myself, I have a strong interest in what this generation is like. It was nice to see that they are basically unprejudiced, forward thinking, generous and wise. Not th...more
Denis Vukosav
‘The Next America’ written by Paul Taylor with a help from Pew Research Center research is an interesting book that through a variety of statistical data gives an accurate picture of what is America today and to what extent such picture is different from what it used to be in the past, or what some would like to think it is.

The book is presented in a manner known to those who follow the activities of the Pew Research Center, providing many statistical figures, charts and reports combined with th...more
Laraine
This very well researched (Pew Research) and written book delivers on explaining the changing demographics and persona of Amercians and what they mean to each of us, across generations.

The social, racial and economic shifts that we see and experience are explained using historical facts as well as survey data. If you are a boomer who got into technology, social networking et all early-on, you may identify with the millennials, but to them, it's all they have every known! The author puts "it" ou...more
Scwoolf
I read this book, in part, because of its heavy promotion on Pew's website. Unsurprisingly, the book reads like many of Pew's surveys: comprehensive, non-ideological, data-driven social science. While few who follow the news will be surprised by the content of this book, there are a few surprises - and Taylor's holistic analysis of various social trends is among the best I have read anywhere.

One chapter (regarding digital technology) and part of another (regarding futurism) were written by diffe...more
Anne
I read this after reading a review of it in The Boston Globe. The book presented a lot of information, which I found interesting and thought provoking. It is easy to forget how small changes eventually transform society, and how society has changed. Technology has evolved so quickly and these changes will only increase, hopefully positively impacting the quality of life. This book made me think to remain open minded, embrace change and stay positive. There were some upsides to the book, but the...more
Richard Cytowic
Generations are more different from each other now than at any time in living memory. The multigenerational household now sees boomers and boomerangers living under the same roof as they once did in the 1940s and 1950s.

Paul Taylor of the Pew Research Center in Washington, DC, has written a data-rich profile suggesting where America is headed in terms of generational demographics. Along the way he compares us to other nations, and illustrates rapidly changing attitudes among younger generations a...more
Austin Martin
I liked this book because it brought to light the issues the generations are facing and how changing demographics and culture are impacting every aspects of our lives. What I liked most about reading this book was reading about how different things are now and about what has been happening in other countries politically and economically including in the U.S. What I got out of this book was a ton of information on things I have not heard of before and learned some new things about programs offere...more
Nikki
While many of the statistics within the book are interesting, I found the book largely dull and dry. On top of being repetitive, the book would spend pages explaining/breaking down a graph compiled from polling information. I honestly could have saved myself a great deal of reading by just looking at the graphs themselves as any intelligent person could figure out what they are indicating. Sometimes more information was provided from past polls, studies and such, but largely the graphs held thei...more
Bookman8
Wow, what an important book for Boomers and Millenials. America is in the midst of one of the largest demographic shifts in its history. This shift is being seen in voting patterns, work ethic, religious leanings, attitudes to other people, and the future will be the result of what is going on right now. How do we face the challenges ahead? This book provides us with much of the data to support what we intuitively know. This is not a solution book. View it as an information source.
Rachael
At the beginning of the book Taylor warned readers that he was going to be giving us a lot of data; he was not kidding. A lot of numbers get thrown at you, but he does also talk about what these numbers mean. There's definitely a doom and gloom feel at the end of the book, as it focuses on how the Millennials will not be able to afford to support the Baby Boomers for much longer and they will not get anything in return.
Samantha Cossick
An interesting look at the current picture of America through the lens of data and statistics provided by the Pew Research Center. If you're someone who keeps up on national studies, there's not a whole lot that would surprise you. However, others may have a harder time grappling with what the stats show and what they believe. Overall, a quick read with a lot of useful information.
Amani
An interesting comparison of the values, attitudes, and outlooks of America's four generations. Full of data, which is both useful for illustrating Taylor's conclusions, and a bit distracting at the same time. The chapter on immigration was especially interesting.
Steve
Mr. Taylor does first rate job on presenting a blizzard of stats with a healthy addition of many graphs to illuminate the information(Big Data)in an entertaining format.
Ben Montoya
Very informative on the various aspects of the modern and coming culture
Lynn
This is a fascinating report from the Pew foundation of how life could change in America and the world in the next 25 years. The author is obviously concerned about the cost of our aging population, and it seems we should be.
Mickie
A depressing look at the mess the boomers have made for their children. File this under die, boomers, die.
Barry Tuchfeld
Very good data! Very thought provoking.
Veda Hamill
Good insights backed up with hard data. It does take a little slogging to get through the number crunching, but the book wouldn't have the impact without it.
Alexander
It would serve the country well if everyone read this summary of national demographic, economic and political survey data and analysis of the generational challenges that we're experience now and will even more in the future. Unfortunately, almost everyone who will take the time to read this probably knows most of the information already. Nonetheless, it's was worth reading it all in one place, and contemplating the state of a nation that refuses to invest in its future, even when it knows bette...more
Darcy
Interesting read. Fairly dense with statistics and graphics, but insightful about what it means for the different generations. I'm sure I'll be thinking about these facts for a long time to come.
Milind Shah
Don't buy it; borrow it from the library. A slightly beefed-up introduction could have replaced all but the final chapter of the book. Sobering and important assessment, but unnecessarily repetitive and drawn out.
Bridget Kiersten
Every millennial should read this book with significant consideration. It is a statistic-oriented analysis of our country and its future with regard to generational differences and our national identity. Parts of this book gave me enormous hope for the future, and other parts made me really think about the upcoming trouble we face.
  • American Dreamers: How the Left Changed a Nation
  • Commonwealth
  • American Grace: How Religion Divides and Unites Us
  • Souls in Transition: The Religious and Spiritual Lives of Emerging Adults
  • Matthew (Brazos Theological Commentary on the Bible)
  • The Mouse that Roared: Disney and the End of Innocence (Culture & Education) (Culture & Education Series)
  • The Essential Feminist Reader
  • Culture Matters: How Values Shape Human Progress
  • To Change the World: The Irony, Tragedy, and Possibility of Christianity in the Late Modern World
  • The Great Agnostic: Robert Ingersoll and American Freethought
  • The Economy of Desire: Christianity and Capitalism in a Postmodern World
  • Habits of the Heart: Individualism and Commitment in American Life
  • Mightier Than the Sword: Uncle Tom's Cabin and the Battle for America
  • True Blood and Philosophy: We Want to Think Bad Things with You (The Blackwell Philosophy and Pop Culture Series)
  • The People's Platform: Taking Back Power and Culture in the Digital Age
  • The Gospel According to the Simpsons
  • The Hermeneutics of the Subject: Lectures at the Collège de France, 1981-82
  • Teaching What Really Happened: How to Avoid the Tyranny of Textbooks and Get Students Excited About Doing History (Multicultural Education Series)
Paul Taylor is the executive vice president of special projects at the Pew Research Center, where he oversees demographic, social and generational research. Taylor is the author of The Next America, a new book examining generations and the country’s changing demographics. From 1996 through 2003, he served as president and board chairman of the Alliance for Better Campaigns. Before that, he was a n...more
More about Paul Taylor...
See How They Run: Electing the President in an Age of Mediaocracy The New News V. the Old News: The Press and Politics in the 1990s