Start by marking “Culture Map: How to Navigate the Realities of Multi-Cultural Business” as Want to Read:
Culture Map: How to Navigate the Realities of Multi-Cultural Business

Culture Map: How to Navigate the Realities of Multi-Cultural Business

Success in business requires navigating through wildly different cultural realities, and we become vulnerable without any knowledge of how to decode cultures foreign to our own. For today’s ever-more-globalized audience, international culture expert Erin Meyer writes a fun and instructive guide to the tactics and strategies we’ll need to overcome cultural obstacles and obt ...more
Published May 27th 2014 by PublicAffairs (first published May 6th 2014)

عبدالرحمن عقاب
نعم! نحن مختلفون! كذلك ولذلك خُلقنا.
تناقش الكاتبة بأسلوب جميل الاختلافات بين الشعوب وذلك بدراسة 8 مواضيع يهتمّ بها عالم الأعمال والإدارة، وهي : (الوضوح في التخاطب- الإعلام بالتقييم السلبي- الإقناع والاقتناع- الهرمية في القيادة- طرق اتخاذ القرار- آلية الاختلاف- وآلية بناء الثقة- التعامل مع الوقت والتخطيط).
وعلى الرغم من أنّ الخطوط العريضة للاختلافات بين الأمم قد سبق دراستها؛ مثل دراسات (نسيبيت)، إلا أنّ ما يميز هذه عن تلك أنّ هذه الأبحاث قد بحثت في الفروق "النسبية" بين شعوب الأمّة الواحدة. فمثلاً
Asif
Jan 23, 2016 Asif rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Candidate for the best book I have read in 2016 unless another one can beat it. The author made is fun to read with great examples that I could easily relate to.
Aayla
Oct 24, 2015 Aayla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, 2016, culture
I found this book to be fascinating, enlightening, important, and highly relevant. Erin Meyer talks about culture in a way that is respectful and also relative, so that we can understand cultural differences by contrast and comparison.

Even though this book is designed to help business-people, I would argue that it is relevant and useful to all people. Everyone could benefit from reading it.

Even if you don't agree with everything she has to say (though I personally can't say that I found her to b
HBalikov
There is a minefield out there for anyone who steps from their own familiar territory into foreign turf. The consequences might only be embarrassment or they could be a lost client or you might never know what you did or did not do.
“Cultural patterns of behavior and belief frequently impact our perceptions (what we see), cognitions (what we think), and actions (what we do).” If Meyer’s goal is “to help you improve your ability to decode these three facets of culture and to enhance your effective
Bredo Erichsen
Dec 27, 2015 Bredo Erichsen rated it it was amazing
This is the book I should have read 20 years ago when starting to work abroad! @erinmeyerinsead gives the background and the examples. I will recommend this book for all people working abroad or working with foreigners back home. Understanding and respect differences are a good start for a successful collaboration.
Tarek Amr
Mar 18, 2017 Tarek Amr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Being a person who is born and raised in Egypt, then moved to work in the Netherlands a couple of years ago, this book is an eyeopener for me regarding cultural differences I used to notice but wasn't able to articulate very well. Erin Meyer's books focuses on 8 aspects where cultures differ; how are people from different cultures communicate, evaluate, persuade, lead, decide, trust, disagree and schedule. The author maps culture differences onto those 8 scales, and funny enough, the Middle East ...more
Kyra
Jan 07, 2017 Kyra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wish I could have read this book when I moved to another country and started working here 6 years ago. About every three pages I cringed thinking of a past conversation, presentation or negotiation that went sideways and I had to chalk up to "cultural differences". A quick read and full of anecdotes, this explained so many of the issues I have had.

Highly recommended for anyone doing user research or design with/for people outside of their own country, working in mixed international teams or w
Frederic Hunter
Sep 08, 2014 Frederic Hunter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Erin Meyer’s The Culture Map: Breaking through the Invisible Boundaries of Global Business is directed at a readership of business executives, especially those directing the work of multicultural work teams, an increasing feature of international business. Says the cover: “How people think, lead and get things done.” What a valuable tool for those readers!
But the book also offers fascinating insights about different cultures and how to navigate them for international travelers, Foreign Service
Josh
Feb 19, 2017 Josh rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There was some good information here and working in an international business, I did learn a few insightful lessons. As an overall book though, I found the frequent stories and asides lame - and as a result disingenuous. This book would have been much more successful if it focused more directly on an elevated discussion and analysis of the various cultures and comparisons rather than these scenes straight out of a 90s after school special.
Marius Ciuzelis
Jan 29, 2017 Marius Ciuzelis rated it it was amazing
The way we see the world in our own culture seems so completely obvious and commonplace that it is difficult to imagine that another culture might do things differently. It is only when you start to identify what is typical in your culture, but different from others, that you can begin to open a dialogue of sharing, learning and ultimately understanding.
I bought the book almost a year ago but have read it just recently. Shame on me for such a delay! It is so insightful and rich of advise that e
Hyperion
The book was OK. It offers a good overview of differences between cultures. Sometimes we may assume that 2 cultures are similar, but in the end there is a possibility of conflict, because they have different "mentality" on a certain point (trust or time perception, for instance).
But Erin often limits herself to personal stories and doesn't cite almost any researcher or study. Where did she take her scales from? What indicators did she use? Hunch? Gut feeling? Statistical analysis? Sometimes sto
Dan
Feb 25, 2015 Dan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is extremely useful for people who travel or work internationally (regardless of where you call home.) There are many "aha" insights. Although I generally have a mistrust of anything attempting to legitimize cultural stereotypes, this particular book and the research on which it is based are useful in part because they help explain some cultural stereotypes and why, in some settings, those stereotypes might be a valid point from which to begin understanding behavior. I would like to se ...more
Rawn Shah
I appreciate the real stories that capture the experience of culture clash from different views. In some anecdotes, she relates a story and conversation by her clients during a such a clash or misunderstanding. In others, she is the protagonist of the story experiencing the point of culture confusion, and reflecting upon it.

It is this mix of both others views, as well as willing to relate her own personal stories that makes this a fascinating read. It also brings out some of the author’s own jou
Mysteryfan
Dec 03, 2014 Mysteryfan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
In this multicultural, multi-ethnic world, learning to work with people from many different backgrounds is essential. This book provides a roadmap for understanding how other cultures use the workplace. She provides real-world examples to illustrate her points. I thought it was extremely informative and even entertaining. I think it can help people understand their own workplaces as well.

I particularly liked her section on leadership in hierarchical vs egalitarian cultures. As a contractor, I've
Dennis Brooke
Jun 14, 2016 Dennis Brooke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is not just for business. I've been fortunate enough to work internationally and with international teams both virtually and in person. If I had read this years ago I would have saved myself plenty of trouble and been a more effective project manager and team member.
Erin Meyer does a great job of marrying research, personal stories, and spot on analysis to create an excellent reference for people who want to be able to understand and work with people from various cultures. I know I'll
Atif Rahman
Jun 02, 2016 Atif Rahman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One obviously subjective way to rate books is to estimate the amount of new information or persuasive perspectives the author gives you. Surely, a lot of cultural nuances and common work patterns to learn in this book for me but what really makes this book stand out is the culture map itself that one can document as a guidebook to start off work relationships across the globe. I am sure I will put a lot of this material in real life.
Daniel Simmons
As someone who has undergone (and presented) roughly a billion cross-cultural communication seminars in my career, I discovered nothing substantively new in these pages. But as a summary of current scholarship in this area, it's a good resource: Meyer offers here a clear no-nonsense survey of major cultural differences and how to overcome or utilize them to promote better-functioning business. Especially useful for managers who are trying to juggle subordinates who hail from multiple countries.
Tatiana
Jan 14, 2017 Tatiana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
If I could give it 10 starts, I would have surely done so! A must read for anyone working in international team regardless if you're a manager or not - because understanding your own culture is the first step to understand others better. Meyer explores 8 dimensions of culture which one encounters in daily business world and differences in which can confuse/surprise/anger you. But as the Russian saying goes - if you've been warned then you've been armed.
Lena
Jul 19, 2015 Lena rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
In the audiobook the reader imitated the accent for different nationalities. I found that unsettling.
Heather
This was an interesting book. I believe in the importance of cultural understanding and it was nice to have some practical ideas for evaluating cultural differences in order to consider how to work together globally more effectively. Meyer is a consultant who works in training across cultures. I think we have to be careful with generalizations and take time to get to know each person we work with, but it's nice to have some good starting points regarding cultural understanding and can increase t ...more
Alok Jha
Mar 07, 2017 Alok Jha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Those rare business books which make immense common sense and are full of real time application. Erin Meyer has done a hell of a good job putting this all together.

This should be a must read for all the cross cultural business teams. It has opened my eyes quite a bit on trying to understand others perspectives from different cultures.

Particularly illuminating is the fact that Americans though very direct in expressing themselves are kind of guarded and nuanced in giving feedbacks. This kind of
Irene Gracesiana
Finished reading it, finally :) Main topic is about BUSINESS CULTURE
Honestly, it's more exciting when I had chance to attend live to her presentation about this book.
Highly recommended, especially for multinational, global company. Erin shared her cases on multicultural people doing Business together.

What I've learnt:
1. Global Company --> should put an attention for the multicultural issues
2. It's important for multinational company understanding the context in different country where the
Essy
Dec 02, 2016 Essy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: booklist2016
This book is, by far, the best book about culture and how to communicate, interact and work with different people. All the practical examples were hilarious and I could find myself in those stories so so many times.
Especially the differences of how to give feedback helped me a lot! The diagrams and explanations of her studies are very helpful and eye-opening.
If you are spending a lot of time with people from different cultures - is it business, church, personal life - you should definitely read
Andreea Visanoiu
The book captures very well cultural differences between countries, sets up a good framework to address them in the business world and brings up a lot of examples and practical advice.

On top of that the writing is fun, it's a pleasure to read and pretty captivating (I finished it very fast).
Derek
Jan 21, 2017 Derek rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very practical framework for evaluating whatever multi-cultural work situation you run into. Worth studying and revisiting.
Mallory
Jan 12, 2017 Mallory rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who works with people from another culture
Shelves: non-fiction
A fascinating overview of cultural norms in terms of business practices. I loved all the personal anecdotes and how Ms. Meyer used them to explain the cultural relativity of various countries.
Paul
Jan 17, 2017 Paul is currently reading it
Fortunately, if you are leading a multicultural team, there's no need to count the number of team members from the left and right hand of the scale and multiply by the number of members to figure out what to do. There is just one easy strategy to remember: Multicultural teams need ow-context processes. (p.55)
Leron Lehman
Mar 15, 2017 Leron Lehman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very Insightful and explains a lot of my frustrations from working in different cultures
Jeri Doris
Mar 07, 2017 Jeri Doris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I consider myself very global, so I was skeptical on what I would learn from this book. I was so wrong! It was so insightful and extremely practical. I think this should be a mandatory read for anyone working in a global environment. One of the better business reads I have had the pleasure of reading in a while. Easy to read and great examples that are simple to understand.
Andrey
Oct 06, 2016 Andrey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book, helps to look at multicultural relations in different dimensions. If you working for international company, this book is definitely must-read.
  • Can't Buy Me Like
  • Generations at Work: Managing the Clash of Veterans, Boomers, Xers, and Nexters in Your Workplace
  • Extreme Trust: Honesty as a Competitive Advantage
  • Game-Changer: Game Theory and the Art of Transforming Strategic Situations
  • Executive Toughness: The Mental-Training Program to Increase Your Leadership Performance
  • How to Change Minds: The Art of Influence without Manipulation
  • Leaders Open Doors: A Radically Simple Leadership Approach to Lift People, Profits, and Performance
  • Leading the Starbucks Way: 5 Principles for Connecting with Your Customers, Your Products and Your People
  • The Maker Movement Manifesto: Rules for Innovation in the New World of Crafters, Hackers, and Tinkerers
  • Overcoming Fake Talk: How to Hold Real Conversations That Create Respect, Build Relationships, and Get Results
  • Your Survival Instinct Is Killing You: Retrain Your Brain to Conquer Fear, Make Better Decisions, and Thrive in the 21s t Century
  • Leadership Transformed: How Ordinary Managers Become Extraordinary Leaders
  • Likeable Business: Why Today's Consumers Demand More and How Leaders Can Deliver
  • Collaborate or Perish!: Reaching Across Boundaries in a Networked World
  • Left Brain, Right Stuff: How Leaders Make Winning Decisions
  • Nothing Is Impossible: 7 Steps to Realize Your True Power and Maximize Your Results
  • It's Not What You Sell, It's What You Stand For: Why Every Extraordinary Business is Driven by Purpose
  • Icons and Idiots: Straight Talk on Leadership
Erin Meyer (born August 22, 1971) is an American author and professor based in Paris.[1] She is most known for writing the 2014 book, The Culture Map: Breaking Through the Invisible Boundaries of Global Business a study that analyzes how national cultural differences impact business.

Meyer is a professor at INSEAD, an international business school with campuses in France, Singapore and Abu Dhabi. S
More about Erin Meyer...

“Trust is like insurance—it’s an investment you need to make up front, before the need arises.” 1 likes
“Multicultural teams need low-context processes.” 1 likes