Start by marking “The Thousand-Dollar Tan Line (Veronica Mars, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Thousand-Dollar Tan Line (Veronica Mars, #1)

The Thousand-Dollar Tan Line (Veronica Mars #1)

3.99  ·  Rating Details ·  31,156 Ratings  ·  3,935 Reviews
From Rob Thomas, the creator of groundbreaking television series and movie Veronica Mars, comes the first book in a thrilling new mystery series.

Ten years after graduating from high school in Neptune, California, Veronica Mars is back in the land of sun, sand, crime, and corruption. She's traded in her law degree for her old private investigating license, struggling to kee
Published March 25th 2014 by Vintage Books

To ask other readers questions about The Thousand-Dollar Tan Line, please sign up.

Kelsey the book picks up right after the movie (I think two months from where the movie left off) and it mentions events from the movie throughout the book.…morethe book picks up right after the movie (I think two months from where the movie left off) and it mentions events from the movie throughout the book. definitely experience them in order. movie first and then the book. (less)
Kelly Not a massive amount but he does make brief appearances.

Julie Johnson
Nov 15, 2013 Julie Johnson rated it it was amazing
My only thoughts about the upcoming release of the Veronica Mars movie AND the subsequent book series:

Oh, and this:

Can't wait!

PS: I wrote this review while wearing my VMARS Kickstarter backer t-shirt, watching reruns of Season 1. #sorrynotsorry

PPS: TEAM LoVe FOREVER.
Alyssa
Dec 09, 2013 Alyssa rated it it was amazing
Please don't suck, please don't suck...

Update: It didn't suck! It was actually really amazing and completely what I was hoping for. Veronica Mars fans are going to love this one, and more so if they get the Kristen Bell narrated audio book, I imagine.

My only complaint is the romance absence, but honestly, the mystery more than made up for this. I'm sure we will see more LoVe in the future. And I'm banking that there will be a future, at least in book form. For now, I'm glad we got to see Veroni
Lukas (LukeLaneReads)
Sep 14, 2013 Lukas (LukeLaneReads) rated it it was amazing
Just do yourself a favour and read it.

To be an avid marshmallow and receive not only a movie, but ALSO a book series that continues Veronica's story is, quite frankly incredible. There are a ton of fandoms that could never even hope to receive this type continuation of one of their beloved shows, and I will be forever thankful that there were enough rich marshmallows out there to give us what we wanted!

Now, onto the question most of you are wondering. Is the book actually any good?

YES. I won't l
Emily
Jan 03, 2014 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Prerelease:

And once read:

Don't get me wrong, I'm really happy to see more of Veronica Mars. Rob Thomas writes a pretty decent mystery novel, and the tone of the book is spot on. It's pretty easy to transition from watching the movie into reading this book, and I think the relationships are portrayed just as strongly and with as much feeling. It's actually fun to get a glance inside Veronica's head - we get asides in the show, but in the book there's room to explore her thoughts and feelings. (So
Stacey
Jan 15, 2014 Stacey marked it as to-read
Oh. My. God. We are finally getting a movie and now we are getting a book series too!? I officially proclaim 2014 the year of the marshmallow!
Melanie
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads
A long time ago we used to be friends...

Three seasons of epic, one movie of pure awesome and now a book that will totally rock your world. I'm quite new to the Veronica Mars fandom. In fact, I didn't start watching the TV show until this book showed up in the mail, and I am so glad that it did. Before I say anything else, I highly recommend that you watch the TV show, then the movie, then read this book to have the full and proper VMars experience. The Thousa
Maureen
Apr 09, 2015 Maureen rated it it was amazing
SO GREAT! If you love Veronica Mars, you'll definitely love this book. I listened to the audiobook which was narrated by Kristen Bell, so the whole thing felt like one extended VM episode! I loved the mystery and pacing of it, and seeing all the characters again was wonderful.
Ash Wednesday
Mar 24, 2014 Ash Wednesday rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: you to watch the series first, then the movie.
Recommended to Ash Wednesday by: 2007
3.5 STARS
Have you ever had a relationship that you knew wasn’t working, couldn’t work, would never work? But you just couldn’t help yourself, because the way it didn’t work was so damn good?

So this is where my Two-Week Throwback ends. 64 episodes, a movie and now a book series. Which is funny because I read somewhere that Rob Thomas originally intended for Veronica Mars to be a serialized novel before it was picked up as a TV show.

As someone late in the Marshmallow Party, from where I stand, t
Diane
Mar 25, 2014 Diane rated it really liked it
I'm a marshmallow. I admit it.

Which means I am a Veronica Mars fan. Which means that not only have I watched all three seasons of the TV show (ahem, multiple times), I was also one of the 91,585 backers on Kickstarter who helped get the Veronica Mars movie made.

In short, I am the perfect audience for this book. If you liked the TV show and/or the movie, you will probably enjoy this novel, which is a new mystery (this is NOT a novelization of the movie or any of the episodes). The writing is tru
Adrienne
Mar 18, 2014 Adrienne rated it really liked it

This the only book I have ever pre-ordered with release-day delivery.

On March 25, 2014, I will open my mailbox, and this will happen:

Passersby will see:

And, I, with all the other release-day fans, will open the cover and begin again...

-------------------------------------------------
Updated 30 March 2014

(Note: As of this update, there are eleven "likes" for the above, pre-read section of the review. These eleven "likes" do not reflect any judgement or views for the below section of the review.
Sam
Feb 19, 2014 Sam marked it as to-read
It's here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IT'S ALMOST MARCH!

Pre-ordered!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SO much geeking out!!

I think a series re-watch is in order. :)
Alex
Mar 25, 2014 Alex rated it really liked it
If you're on the fence about reading the book, I'm gonna tell you to read it. Not just because I supremely enjoyed it, but because if this is the canon that Rob Thomas is writing, you're going to want to follow it. And he didn't pull punches. At this point, I'd follow that man into Hell and back, and there'd be a lot of snappy dialogue in between.

I wasn't sure exactly what I was expecting from this book. Probably the last time I read some television-book adaptation was when I was like 10 and own
Sunil
Feb 28, 2014 Sunil rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, 2014
Remember Veronica Mars? She's back. In Pog book form.

Let's get the obvious major criticism out of the way first: I wanted a first-person noir narrative and what I got was a third-person litfic narrative. It's a curious choice, especially since the story is still told from Veronica's POV, and a book would have been the perfect opportunity to let her unique voice shine. But I'm assuming Rob Thomas was too busy, you know, making the movie to write that book, and Jennifer Graham does do a surprising
Jennifer Ellision
So easy to see this as a story arc of the already existing canon. Even better with KBell's narration.

Wish the next audiobook had her narrating as well, but at least I can still just read it so that I can imagine in in her voice!
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Please note that some minor spoilers for this year’s Veronica Mars movie were inevitable.

I just love the 21st century, don't you? A TV show gets cancelled, leaving behind millions of grieving fans. After years of struggle, a movie gets made, crowdfunded by adoring viewers who were unable to let go. While this is happening, creator of the show Rob Thomas (originally a novelist), decides to start a book series, which will pick up exactly where the movie leaves off. And all of it, every single thin
Naddy
Nov 25, 2016 Naddy rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries

It’s spring break and students has descended into the Neptune town, transforming the beaches into a frenzied, month long rave. Out of this one girl disappears from a party, And Veronica is called in to investigate. Veronica who has traded her law degree for her old private investigation license, struggling to keep Mars investigation afloat on the scant cash earned by catching cheating spouses until she can score her first big case.The house the girl vanished belonged to drug cartel, a notorious
Lei
Jul 29, 2013 Lei rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
EDIT: 26Mar

I'm already done with the book. I'm going out for a while, review later when I get back.

EDIT: 17Mar

The synopsis is out!!! See below:

________________________________________

From Rob Thomas, the creator of the television series and movie phenomenon Veronica Mars, comes the first book in a thrilling mystery series that picks up where the feature film left off.

Kristina Horner
Dec 20, 2014 Kristina Horner rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, new-adult
I absolutely adored this book and I read it in one sitting - the writing was PERFECT and felt exactly like watching the show. It was so much fun to hear all the characters voices in my head as I read; to picture their mannerisms and the settings and the little looks shared between characters. Such a unique experience, since novelizations of TV shows generally don't hold a candle to the original show. This was wonderful. I can't wait for the next one, and I hope there are more.
Matthew
A decent little book - I felt like I was watching an episode of the show. While I think you can enjoy this without having watched the show, I think you will appreciate it more if you have.
Sarah Churchill
Dec 05, 2013 Sarah Churchill rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Veronica Mars makes me so happy! Picking up the story a couple of months after the movie, 'Tan Line' is perfect for fangirls (and boys) who need a little more Veronica in their lives.

I've always been a proud marshmallow, the movie had me grinning from beginning to end, so it was unlikely that I wouldn't love this book. Reading it soon after watching the movie definitely made it even better, not just because the story follows on, but because I was reminded of everything I loved about the charact
Julia
Jan 31, 2017 Julia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Thousand-Dollar Tan Line... Sowas habe ich hinter so einem Titel nicht erwartet.
Mir war das Buch etwas zu abgedreht. Ich mochte es (es ist Veronica Mars!! ♥), aber manche Sachen sehe ich einer Serie eher nach als einem Buch (view spoiler)
Mar 23, 2014 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
This book hits right where it should hit and if I'm honest I liked it more than the movie. Where the movie felt a bit rushed, the book gets the chance to really go into the story and into Veronica's feelings. They were able to explore the characters and the story itself.

One thing I really liked was that the book was filled with references back to the series and that made me feel overjoyed and giddy. This book, unlike the movie, isn't trying to please newcomers to the fandom. It's doing what it'
Liz Janet
Nov 10, 2014 Liz Janet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Update 2016- Film + Series Review: https://booksandstuff1357.wordpress.c...
.................................
When most people were reading "Harry Potter," (which I was not able to), I was watching "Veronica Mars," she was the Hermione I didn't get to experience as a child, and she was/is AMAZING.
After the film I could only think of reading this series, because I knew I would love it, and love it I did. (But watch film first, because spoilers)
The audiobook is the format I recommend, because Kriste
Tiff at Mostly YA Lit
3.5 stars. A solid mystery, good twists, lagged a bit in the middle with the various red herrings. I listened to Kristen Bell reading this, so naturally, I had Veronica's voice in my head the entire time. I did enjoy her take on Keith, Mac, and the other characters' voices, but mostly it was just lovely to have Kristen narrate the story to me.

Review to come.
Hayat
I just saw Mr. Kiss and Tell on GR awarad nominations and I just had to double check and see if there really is a Veronica Mars book to go along with the my favourite TV series...

...OMG!!! There is a Veronica Mars book?!! Yes!!!

I really hope this book and the sequel are just as amazing as the TV series. I want it all... the romance with Logan, the mystery, thrills and chills of solving crimes, catching the bad guy whilst delivering the trademark sassy Veronica Mars lines and also more of Logan
Gabriela
The Marshmallow in me is so, so happy right now. This book was utter and complete perfection. *Tears of joy*
If you are a fan of the show and are unsure whether to give this a try, do yourself a favor and waste no more time. I loved how the book brings justice to the series but still manages to be fresh, reinventing the characters without deviating from their personalities.
Also, the audiobook is narrated by Kristen Bell and it is freaking amazing!
Rincey
Apr 12, 2014 Rincey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
This was absolutely perfect and I think was even better as an audiobook. Kristen Bell does everyone's voices and cadences absolutely PERFECTLY, I could picture every character during the entire story. If you're a Veronica Mars fan, this will definitely scratch that itch. If you aren't a Veronica Mars fan, please remedy that so that we can be friends again.

See my full review here: http://youtu.be/0uAubKd4ZnY
CasPerfitz~SLiTsReaD
Jan 04, 2015 CasPerfitz~SLiTsReaD rated it really liked it
The t.v. series, Veronica Mars, ended 2007.. then it continued years later, 2014, in a movie. Then comes this book series….And I couldn’t be any happier! I am more than happy… I am grateful! :D

If you missed the t.v. series and the movie, this might get a little bit confusing and would fail to get most of the humour. But, the good thing is, the complete season of the t.v. series are on Netflix or on dvd... and the movie is also out on dvd/blu-ray. ;)

Veronica Mars is compared to, or described as
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
Mar 25, 2014 Jeann (Happy Indulgence) rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller, review-copy
This review appears on Happy Indulgence. Check it out for more reviews!

This makes me miss Veronica Mars so bad. It was one of my favourite shows when it first came out and I just loved the snarky blonde detective and the handsome bad boy Logan *googly eyes*. Thankfully, after the success of the kickstarter for the movie, it seems like fans really want more Veronica Mars. There's now a movie, a spin-off web series - Play It Again Dick, and the Veronica Mars book series.

Occurring after the events
  • A Touch of Minx (Samantha Jellicoe, #5)
  • Deadly Heat (Nikki Heat, #5)
  • The Lies That Bind (The Liar Society, #2)
  • The Last Word (The Spellmans, #6)
  • The Epic Adventures of Lydia Bennet
  • All She Wrote (Holmes & Moriarity, #2)
  • Wonderment in Death (In Death, #41.5)
  • Pride and Modern Prejudice
  • The Cityscape Series (The Cityscape, #1-3)
  • Buzz Kill
  • Silver Mirrors (Apparatus Infernum, #2)
  • Touch & Geaux (Cut & Run, #7)
  • Claire DeWitt and the Bohemian Highway
  • Lethal Outlook (Psychic Eye Mystery, #10)
  • The Bride Wore Size 12 (Heather Wells, #5)
  • Scarlett Undercover
  • The Con Job (Leverage, #1)
Robert James "Rob" Thomas is an American author, producer, and screenwriter, best known as the author of the 1996 novel Rats Saw God, creator of the critically acclaimed television series Veronica Mars and co-creator of 90210 and Party Down.
More about Rob Thomas...

Veronica Mars (2 books)
  • Mr. Kiss and Tell (Veronica Mars, #2)

“There weren’t many people in this world who would let you be vulnerable and still believe you were strong.” 94 likes
“And for about the millionth time in her life she felt an overwhelming gratitude for her best friend. Because she knew he wouldn't mention this afterward; she knew he wouldn't take it as a sign that she was losing her nerve or was in too deep. There weren't many people in this world who would let you be vulnerable and still believe you were strong.” 71 likes