Start by marking “Centered Leadership: A Field Guide for Leading with Positive Impact and Resilience” as Want to Read:

3.63  ·  Rating Details  ·  38 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
What enables some talented people to rise to the top and live their full ambitions at work and in life, while others stop short?

In 2008, Joanna Barsh launched and sponsored the Centered Leadership Project at McKinsey and Company to answer that very question. In the process, they uncovered what distinguishes leaders who are successful from those who achieve true greatness.
Published March 18th 2014 by Crown Business (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Centered Leadership, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Centered Leadership

Anna
Dec 23, 2015 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am very glad I stumbled across this at the library.
I listened to the Audio version this time, but I think I need to break down and buy the book.
I think the combination would be like attendiing a personal session.

I enjoyed the program because it is designed with versatility -- you can use it as a personal exercise or in a group setting. It can be scaled and it can be done over time. For me, the exercise that resonated was the one in which you map your network, determine trust and reciprocity, t
Kate
Mar 16, 2014 Kate rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I'm a huge fan of Centered Leadership: A Field Guide for Leading with Positive Impact and Resilience. Barsh and Lavoie go beyond explaining how to improve your leadership performance by including methodologies for all leadership levels to reach their highest potential. The main tenets of Centered Leadership are meaning, framing, connecting, engaging and energizing. The greatest asset of this book is that it incorporates years of quantitative research, and the workbook like format allows anyone f ...more
Heath Henwood
Mar 29, 2014 Heath Henwood rated it liked it
Centred Leadership
by Joanna Barsh, Johanne Lavoie

Leadership guidebook or guide to transform your life. I was undecided early on, and honestly I am still not sure.

The authors presents her approach to self-improvement, based on a foundation of discovering meaning; examining how they Frame the world; being Connected to get there; how to Engage on their goals; and how to stay Energized.

The book suggest using it as a workbook with a group, and certainly for change to occur it will be easier to be mot
Sandy H
Jun 01, 2016 Sandy H rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dmin
Not my fave. I've probably read too many books on leadership at this point for school so my bar has gotten pretty high, but I found her "conversational" writing style fairly annoying and was very bugged by the fact that a few last chapters were poached from a different book (she did give credit). I'd read that book and got a ton out of it; wasn't keen on her rehash of it. On the other hand, I could see where Centered Leadership would be really useful for some. Just didn't really do it for me.
Kathy Cowie
I am reviewing this book for the November/December issue of Global Business and Organizational Excellence. It was a very interesting read - very hot topic right now, as I've read about it in a couple of other places since I started the book.
Katie Haw
Feb 12, 2015 Katie Haw rated it it was ok
Couldn't finish it. It seemed...campy...
Arjita Alka
Arjita Alka rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2016
Leia
Leia marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Melanie Laffin
Melanie Laffin is currently reading it
Jul 12, 2016
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Maegan Dempsey
Maegan Dempsey marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Sudhakar
Sudhakar marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Michelle King
Michelle King rated it liked it
Jun 20, 2016
Rebecca Tolley
Rebecca Tolley marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Priya
Priya marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
Stanislava
Stanislava marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Uma
Uma added it
May 16, 2016
amanda
amanda marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Nukhet
Nukhet is currently reading it
May 05, 2016
Laura Jones
Laura Jones rated it liked it
May 03, 2016
Peter
Peter rated it really liked it
May 03, 2016
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Mindi Dippold
Mindi Dippold marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
Duncan Kauffman
Duncan Kauffman rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2016
Annarose White
Annarose White is currently reading it
Mar 30, 2016
Lin
Lin rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Patrik
Patrik marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
  • Boundaries for Leaders: Results, Relationships, and Being Ridiculously in Charge
  • All We Know: Three Lives
  • Leadership is Hell: How to Manage Well - And Escape with your Soul
  • Break Your Own Rules: How to Change the Patterns of Thinking That Block Women's Paths to Power
  • Leadership Presence
  • Power Ambition Glory: The Stunning Parallels between Great Leaders of the Ancient World and Today . . . and the Lessons We All Can Learn
  • The Idea-Driven Organization: Unlocking the Power in Bottom-Up Ideas
  • Get Back in the Box
  • Sex and The Single Girl
  • Your Leadership Story: Use Your Story to Energize, Inspire, and Motivate
  • Transformational Speaking: If You Want to Change the World, Tell a Better Story
  • Ditch the Pitch: The Art of Improvised Persuasion
  • It's Our Research
  • Murdoch's Politics: How One Man's Thirst For Wealth and Power Shapes our World
  • How Great Women Lead: A Mother-Daughter Adventure into the Lives of Women Shaping the World
  • The Friendship Fix: The Complete Guide to Choosing, Losing, and Keeping Up with Your Friends
  • The Philosophy of Friendship