Start by marking “Tales from Ma's Watering-Hole” as Want to Read:
Tales from Ma's Watering-Hole

Tales from Ma's Watering-Hole

Ma, a ninety-nine-year-old Australian aboriginal shaman, manages a Sydney cafe for lonely outback refugees. Each evening, Ma or one of her quirky patrons, shares their tale.

"Tales from Ma's Watering Hole" is a linked story collection that weaves together nostalgic themes relating to lands lost, families scattered and the joyful support found in human companionship.
Published July 1st 2013 by Booklocker.com

To ask other readers questions about Tales from Ma's Watering-Hole, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tales from Ma's Watering-Hole

Joe Ponepinto
Dec 17, 2013 Joe Ponepinto rated it really liked it
Ninety-nine-year-old Ma left the outback and opened a café in Sydney, but she never gave up the ways of her aboriginal beginnings. In these short fictions the shaman woman hosts nightly gatherings for tourists, the curious and the down and out, during which she encourages them to tell their stories as a way of creating a link between modern, mainstream Australian culture and the ancient one of her forbearers. She practices a traditional form of healing, built around the values of ...more
Kaye Linden
Dec 20, 2013 Kaye Linden rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Bruce Holland Rogers:

"First off, some disclosure: Kaye Linden is a graduate of the Master of Fine Arts program of the Northwest Institute of Literary Arts. I teach fiction writing at NILA, and Kaye was my student. I'm not reviewing this book as a stranger, but instead as someone who saw this collection of stories develop story-by-story and draft-by-draft.

Take my review with a grain of salt if you wish.

Kaye Linden's stories are richly imagined, crisply written, and worth your time and money. In t
Jennifer-Eve Workman
Sep 24, 2015 Jennifer-Eve Workman rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jennifer-Eve by: Goodreads Giveaways
Shelves: 2013
I won this book in a Goodreads Giveaway. The stories were quite colorful and enjoyable, but... I just couldn't really "get into" it. I enjoyed the premise of the book and the main character "Ma," was very uniquely written.

I've read most of the reviews for this book on here and on Amazon and people seem to really love it. I just can't really say that I absolutely LOVED it but I didn't hate it either. I am going to give it 4 stars because as I said it was very well written and unique but as my gr
Garth Bealman
Nov 04, 2013 Garth Bealman rated it it was amazing
Excellent book! Well written, original all around gem. Characters come to life in vivid tales by Ma. Finding books and treasures like this is why I love Goodreads.
A++!! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!
Tracy
Jan 01, 2015 Tracy rated it liked it
"The police in Australia voice concern over tourists who file into Ma's house and file out wearing only body piercings and stripes. One officer voiced his complaint on the front page of The Rattle Nest Newspaper: "They could catch their death of cold", he said. Later, the officer visited Ma to see for himself, and he left dressed in black cockatoo feathers and red paint. A reporter wrote that he saw Ma wearing a man's police uniform the next day.

I won this book on a Goodreads giveaway and have
Lori
May 26, 2015 Lori rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I would give this an almost four.Could not resist trying out a book with a kangaroo on the cover. "Ma's Watering Hole" is a place owned by "Ma" a 99 year old Australian Aborigine Shaman. Ma left the outback to open this restaurant. She is still devoted to her life growing up on the outback. She tells the customers stories about the outback and encourages others to bring stories of their own. this book is comprised of those stories. Some from Ma herself, others from her siblings Possum and ...more
Cheryl
Dec 19, 2014 Cheryl rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Cheryl by: Goodread
This is a really good book with wonderful characters who tell great stories at Ma's cafe. The characters come to life on each page and I felt that somewhere in Australia these people really did exist and wished they did. Ma is a 99 year old shaman who runs a cafe in the city with the help of her sister Possum and her brother Midget. The customers are other outback refugees and tourists, each night someone tell a story of the outback. These stories tell of lost heritage,land and family. But the ...more
Dawn
Nov 07, 2014 Dawn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads-won
I received a copy of this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

"Tales from Ma's Watering Hole" has left me with one word running through my brain - "surreal". That is what I hoped for.

Kaye Linden provides entertainment and enjoyment with her host of characters that will leave you chuckling over their antics.

But there was also an underlying sadness for me. Read this book - see if you spot it too.
Ashley
Nov 05, 2013 Ashley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I received Tales from Ma's Watering Hole as a part of Goodreads First Read program. This is a really delightful book. The characters are charming, the book is well written and has a very natural feeling flow as you transition from one of Ma's tales to another. The character of Ma seemed kind of larger than life in some of the book which is why I really enjoyed reading the story When Ma Needed Healing where Ma is vulnerable.
Mary
Feb 10, 2014 Mary rated it it was amazing
Ma is a character we can all relate to and at the same time wish we had her magic. She teaches respect for the earth and all its creatures, but she doesn't preach. Ma has a sense of humor and guides us through the outback with tales that cast a spell, all mysteriously connected yet each with its unique story.
Larry
Nov 23, 2014 Larry rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book as a First Read award. I immensely enjoyed this collection of tales from an aboriginal view. If you like native american stories, then you will like this collection of tales. I recognize that this will not be a book for everyone, but if you like tales that contain a story or explain an event, then you will like this book.
Carmen
Nov 30, 2014 Carmen rated it really liked it
Good Book. Not something I would usually purchase, glad I read it.
Kaye Linden
Sep 07, 2013 Kaye Linden rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
By Bruce H. Rogers on July 18, 2013
Format: Paperback

Take my review with a grain of salt if you wish.

Kaye Linden's stories are richly imagined, crisply written, and
Ann Depp
Ann Depp rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2014
Skipper Hammond
Skipper Hammond rated it really liked it
May 17, 2014
Bee Pierce
Bee Pierce rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2014
Sue
Sue rated it really liked it
Dec 24, 2013
Joan
Joan rated it it was ok
Oct 20, 2015
Kim Chase
Kim Chase rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2015
Dee
Dee rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2013
Heather
Heather rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Marc
Marc rated it it was amazing
Nov 20, 2013
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2016
Sabrina Zohar
Sabrina Zohar rated it it was amazing
Dec 14, 2014
Audrey
Audrey rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2015
Tammy
Tammy rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2014
Shirley Hurley
Shirley Hurley marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2013
Tami Nelson
Tami Nelson marked it as to-read
Frederick Rotzien
Frederick Rotzien marked it as to-read
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Laura Dobb
Laura Dobb marked it as to-read
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Deborah Shaw
Deborah Shaw marked it as to-read
Vikki Sanderson
Vikki Sanderson marked it as to-read
Teresa Lavender
Teresa Lavender marked it as to-read
Marilyn Maroon
Marilyn Maroon marked it as to-read
Richard Tyler
Richard Tyler marked it as to-read
Margaret Dunlop-carr
Margaret Dunlop-carr marked it as to-read
Rhonda
Rhonda marked it as to-read
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Cindy Gates
Cindy Gates marked it as to-read
Sandy Klocinski
Sandy Klocinski marked it as to-read
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Xeno
Xeno marked it as to-read
☕Laura
☕Laura marked it as to-read
Maureen Ryan
Maureen Ryan marked it as to-read
Mark Slavin
Mark Slavin marked it as to-read
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Karen Clinchard
Karen Clinchard marked it as to-read
Pamela
Pamela marked it as to-read
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Charlie
Charlie marked it as to-read
Patricia Bergman
Patricia Bergman marked it as to-read
Diana Senn
Diana Senn marked it as to-read
Theresa El-Thomas
Theresa El-Thomas marked it as to-read
Magic realism 1 1 Jul 23, 2013 10:14AM
  • Oh Sh!t... The Awakening - Book 1
  • Who's 50: The 50 Doctor Who Stories to Watch Before You Die - An Unofficial Companion
  • The Long Way
  • The Ivy League Chronicles: 9 Squares
  • Julia's Cats: Julia Child's Life in the Company of Cats
  • I Put A Spell On You, A Halloween Anthology
  • Hot or Not: : How to Know If Your Business Idea Will Fly or Fail
  • Cakes and Ale for the Pagan Soul: Spells, Recipes, and Reflections from Neopagan Elders and Teachers
  • Birds of the Nile: An Egyptian Adventure
  • The Poo Detective (Poodle Tales #6)
  • The Man in the Cinder Clouds
  • Haiku Is the Spice of Life
  • The Monster in My Closet
Kaye is an Australian living in the USA. She has an MFA in fiction and is currently studying for a second MFA in poetry and mixed genres. She is the current poetry editor for the Bacopa Literary Review, short fiction adult education teacher at Santa Fe College, and past medical editor for “Epresent learning lecture reviews.”

Kaye just published her next book: 35 tips for Writing a Brilliant Flash
More about Kaye Linden...