Dead Sand (Lewis Cole, #1)

Dead Sand (Lewis Cole #1)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  77 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Lewis Cole, a resident of tourist town Tyler Beach, New Hampshire, turns sleuth when prominent community members are marked for death and a beautiful girl is found hanged.
Published April 1st 1994 by Otto Penzler Books

Maddy
Like a master artisan, Brendan DuBois weaves a beautiful first book, Dead Sand. He begins by creating a basic design using the highest quality ingredients--interesting characters, a fully developed plot and finely detailed settings. If that alone were the extent of his efforts, the result would be very fine. However, he's added some accent threads that move this from an accomplished book to something approaching a work of art. Those accent threads are not visible when first looking at the overal...more
Christine
I read this for book club. I really enjoyed it. What was really nice is meeting the author at book club and hearing about the process. I am looking forward to reading one of his historical thrillers .
Dot Heimer
I love the Lewis Cole Series. This is one of my favorite Authors.
I have read all of his books.
Sharon
Brendan Dubois will be coming to the library soon, and our book group wanted to read one of his books. Since Dead Sand is his first Lewis Cole book, it was an easy choice. Themes of greed, revenge and the things we do for love run through this book, and Mr. Dubois left us wondering what will happen to Lewis when the book ends. A good detective series, more so because the settingl is the NH seacoast. He changes the names (of the towns) to protect the innocent and part of the fun for me was figuri...more
Deb
Saw this author on PBS NH Authors (Wed at 6pm every week). He started out wanting to be a scifi writer, but kept being rejected by every publisher. He changed to writing a mystery series about a town on the NH shore and it became a hit. I read the first in the series and liked it. The hero has a past that is slowly unraveled to the reader; has a house on the beach; helps the local police chief solve a mystery and catch a killer. Hero and characters are very likeable. Will continue the series.
Steve Coughlan
I love this book. It's so true to NH (at least mid-90s NH, and some still true today), and a good detective story as well. It shows a some rough writing edges as the first mystery novel by Mr. DuBois, but I know he gets better with time and practice, and they don't detract from the overall excellent effect. I've got 5 more Lewis Cole mysteries stacked up next to the bed to read, and I'm looking forward to enjoying every one of them.
LJ
DEAD SAND - Ex
DuBois, Brendan - 1st in seris

The first in a very interesting, very good series. Really like the character of Cole.
Viccy
Lewis Cole is an ex-government officer who survives an unspecified disaster in the desert that kills his entire team as well as the woman he loves. He is offered a job as a writer for a New Hampshire magazine and now he lives in Tyler, New Hampshire, writing for Shore and solving mysteries.
Mark Pitman
Lewis Cole 01

Lewis Cole has retired to the NH seacoast from a US government intelligence job. Writing forShorline magazine Lewis investigates the identity of a decomposed body discovered in a swamp and how it ties wi the the apparent hanging suicide of a pretty young hotel worker.
Danie
It wasn't anything special, or too much surprising, just a solid, regular mystery that took up a couple hours of my life. Not bad, not awesome, a solid three.
Laurie Andres
Nice, hardworking mystery novel. Likable characters and an intriguing story. A bit overworked in spots would be my only criticism.
Jane
4 1/2 stars
Miss M
Miss M marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Michele
Michele marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Grace Cotton
Grace Cotton marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Amy-lee Cook
Amy-lee Cook marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Kate
Kate added it
Jun 06, 2014
Kaye
Kaye marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Brendan DuBois of New Hampshire is the award-winning author of sixteen novels and more than 120 short stories. His novel, "Resurrection Day," won the Sidewise Award for Best Alternative History Novel of the Year.

In addition to his thrillers, Brendan DuBois is the author of the Lewis Cole mystery series.

He is also a one-time "Jeopardy!" gameshow champion.

His short fiction has appeared in Playboy, T...more
More about Brendan DuBois...
Resurrection Day Twilight 6 Days Primary Storm (Lewis Cole, #6) Black Tide (Lewis Cole, #2)