Start by marking “Dead Sand (Lewis Cole, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dead Sand (Lewis Cole, #1)

Dead Sand (Lewis Cole #1)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  113 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Lewis Cole, a resident of tourist town Tyler Beach, New Hampshire, turns sleuth when prominent community members are marked for death and a beautiful girl is found hanged.
Published April 1st 1994 by Otto Penzler Books

To ask other readers questions about Dead Sand, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Sand

Skip
I liked this murder mystery -- kind of a sleeper. Lewis Cole is the victim of a government experiment gone bad, and has restarted his life as a writer for a magazine in a New Hampshire shore town. A young women, summer worker is found hanged, but the preliminary investigation shows she was strangled. Lewis and the local detective Diane have a solid friendship, but when the bodies start piling up, they both work to figure out the culprit. Nice setting, good complex multifaceted characters.
Maddy
Like a master artisan, Brendan DuBois weaves a beautiful first book, Dead Sand. He begins by creating a basic design using the highest quality ingredients--interesting characters, a fully developed plot and finely detailed settings. If that alone were the extent of his efforts, the result would be very fine. However, he's added some accent threads that move this from an accomplished book to something approaching a work of art. Those accent threads are not visible when first looking at the overal ...more
William Scott
When I read the synopsis for Dead Sand, I was worried it might turn into a male version of Murder She Wrote; a writer helps the local police of a small New England town solve a murder. Luckily this was not the case and my reservations were quickly dispelled. We follow Lewis Cole into the seedy underbelly of a vacation town, passing a myriad of well-drawn characters and potential suspects.
Although I’m not usually a fan of first person narratives, the story did not suffer from it. That being said,
Jane
too much description of geography. kept losing my place and losing my interest.
Erin James
I like a good mystery. No, I LOVE a good mystery. This first in the Lewis Cole series did not blow me away. It just barely kept me interested, I thought there was too much unnecessary detail. I didn't connect with the characters so it was hard to keep going. However, some people whose opinion I trust DO like this series, so I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt and try the next one in the series.
Glenn Harris
First book of an excellent series featuring Lewis Cole, former intelligence analyst and current magazine writer, resident of tourist town Tyler Beach, New Hampshire, who helps out the understaffed local police force when he can. In this case he's after the killer of a young woman who seems to have a number of other people on his or her hit list.
Marcia
Found this writer in a collection of short stories edited by Dennis Lehane. Since I really like Lehane's style, I tried this author. Pretty darn good -- an interesting backstory to the lead character, and plenty of twists and turns in the plot lines.
Pat
Jan 02, 2015 Pat rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: mystery
Good mystery. Character is ex-spy, Lewis Cole. Lives at beach in Mass.
He and his group were exposed to chemical warfare experiment.
Waitress is killed, looks like a suicide.
Good mystery.
Christine
I read this for book club. I really enjoyed it. What was really nice is meeting the author at book club and hearing about the process. I am looking forward to reading one of his historical thrillers .
Dot Heimer
I love the Lewis Cole Series. This is one of my favorite Authors.
I have read all of his books.
Gingerkat
First in a series getting off to a slightly rocky start (TMI about geography) but not bad. I will read #2 soon.
Sharon
Brendan Dubois will be coming to the library soon, and our book group wanted to read one of his books. Since Dead Sand is his first Lewis Cole book, it was an easy choice. Themes of greed, revenge and the things we do for love run through this book, and Mr. Dubois left us wondering what will happen to Lewis when the book ends. A good detective series, more so because the settingl is the NH seacoast. He changes the names (of the towns) to protect the innocent and part of the fun for me was figuri ...more
Deb
Saw this author on PBS NH Authors (Wed at 6pm every week). He started out wanting to be a scifi writer, but kept being rejected by every publisher. He changed to writing a mystery series about a town on the NH shore and it became a hit. I read the first in the series and liked it. The hero has a past that is slowly unraveled to the reader; has a house on the beach; helps the local police chief solve a mystery and catch a killer. Hero and characters are very likeable. Will continue the series.
Steve Coughlan
I love this book. It's so true to NH (at least mid-90s NH, and some still true today), and a good detective story as well. It shows a some rough writing edges as the first mystery novel by Mr. DuBois, but I know he gets better with time and practice, and they don't detract from the overall excellent effect. I've got 5 more Lewis Cole mysteries stacked up next to the bed to read, and I'm looking forward to enjoying every one of them.
LJ
DEAD SAND - Ex
DuBois, Brendan - 1st in seris

The first in a very interesting, very good series. Really like the character of Cole.
Viccy
Lewis Cole is an ex-government officer who survives an unspecified disaster in the desert that kills his entire team as well as the woman he loves. He is offered a job as a writer for a New Hampshire magazine and now he lives in Tyler, New Hampshire, writing for Shore and solving mysteries.
Mark Pitman
Lewis Cole 01

Lewis Cole has retired to the NH seacoast from a US government intelligence job. Writing forShorline magazine Lewis investigates the identity of a decomposed body discovered in a swamp and how it ties wi the the apparent hanging suicide of a pretty young hotel worker.
Danie
It wasn't anything special, or too much surprising, just a solid, regular mystery that took up a couple hours of my life. Not bad, not awesome, a solid three.
Laurie Andres
Nice, hardworking mystery novel. Likable characters and an intriguing story. A bit overworked in spots would be my only criticism.
Jane
4 1/2 stars
Jennings Peeler
Jennings Peeler marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2015
Cheri
Cheri marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
Marsha
Marsha marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Cynthia
Cynthia marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Tom
Tom marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2015
Stephanie Moglia
Stephanie Moglia marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
  • An Air That Kills (Lydmouth, #1)
  • Once Burned (Jack McMorrow Mystery #10)
  • Walking the Perfect Square (Moe Prager #1)
  • High Rhymes and Misdemeanors (Poetic Death Mystery, #1)
  • A Killing at Cotton Hill (Samuel Craddock Mystery, #1)
  • Prime Time
  • The Cold Cold Ground (Detective Sean Duffy, #1)
  • Jennifer Love Hewitt Times Infinity
  • Stay (Aud Torvingen #2)
  • A Fine Red Rain (Porfiry Rostnikov, #4)
  • Maiden, Matron, and Crone
  • Angel's Bidding: A Patricia Delaney Egumshoe Mystery
  • A Regimental Murder (Captain Lacey, #2)
  • A Load Of Old Bones
  • Inside Passage (Corey Logan Trilogy, #1)
  • The Marshal and the Murderer (Marshal Guarnaccia Mystery, #5)
  • The Missing Element (James Becker, #2)
  • Simple Knits for Cherished Babies
Brendan DuBois of New Hampshire is the award-winning author of sixteen novels and more than 120 short stories. His novel, "Resurrection Day," won the Sidewise Award for Best Alternative History Novel of the Year.

In addition to his thrillers, Brendan DuBois is the author of the Lewis Cole mystery series.

He is also a one-time "Jeopardy!" gameshow champion, and a co-winner of the trivia gameshow "The
More about Brendan DuBois...

Lewis Cole (9 books)
  • Black Tide (Lewis Cole, #2)
  • Shattered Shell (Lewis Cole, #3)
  • Killer Waves (Lewis Cole, #4)
  • Buried Dreams (Lewis Cole, #5)
  • Primary Storm (Lewis Cole, #6)
  • Deadly Cove
  • Fatal Harbor
  • Blood Foam: A Lewis Cole Mystery
Resurrection Day Twilight 6 Days Black Tide (Lewis Cole, #2) Primary Storm (Lewis Cole, #6)