Start by marking “Dead Sand (Lewis Cole, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dead Sand (Lewis Cole, #1)

Dead Sand (Lewis Cole #1)

Introducing his famed series character, Lewis Cole, DEAD SAND tells the tale of the mysterious murder of a teenage waitress at at beach resort in New Hampshire. Lewis Cole, a retired research analyst from the Department of Defense and a magazine columnist, travels down some mean streets indeed as he puzzles out not only the teenage girl's murder, but his own place in life ...more
Published April 1st 1994 by Otto Penzler Books

To ask other readers questions about Dead Sand, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Sand

Mar 01, 2015 Skip rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-detective
I liked this murder mystery -- kind of a sleeper. Lewis Cole is the victim of a government experiment gone bad, and has restarted his life as a writer for a magazine in a New Hampshire shore town. A young women, summer worker is found hanged, but the preliminary investigation shows she was strangled. Lewis and the local detective Diane have a solid friendship, but when the bodies start piling up, they both work to figure out the culprit. Nice setting, good complex multifaceted characters.
Oct 19, 2013 Maddy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2000-reads
Like a master artisan, Brendan DuBois weaves a beautiful first book, Dead Sand. He begins by creating a basic design using the highest quality ingredients--interesting characters, a fully developed plot and finely detailed settings. If that alone were the extent of his efforts, the result would be very fine. However, he's added some accent threads that move this from an accomplished book to something approaching a work of art. Those accent threads are not visible when first looking at the overal ...more
Terri Lynn
I tried and tried and tried and couldn't get into it. It was too dull. I couldn't even picture the lead characters in my mind and kept forgetting the lead male's name. It is set in New Hampshire in a tiny beach town. The lone detective- Diane (can't even remember her last name)- gets some help from Lewis Cole in solving the murder of a girl working as a waitress made to look like a suicide. An old man gets his boat blown up for planning to tell Lewis something about it and Lewis' friend Alice, a ...more
William Scott
Oct 02, 2014 William Scott rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
When I read the synopsis for Dead Sand, I was worried it might turn into a male version of Murder She Wrote; a writer helps the local police of a small New England town solve a murder. Luckily this was not the case and my reservations were quickly dispelled. We follow Lewis Cole into the seedy underbelly of a vacation town, passing a myriad of well-drawn characters and potential suspects.
Although I’m not usually a fan of first person narratives, the story did not suffer from it. That being said,
Feb 22, 2015 Jane rated it did not like it
too much description of geography. kept losing my place and losing my interest.
Erin James
Apr 26, 2015 Erin James rated it liked it
I like a good mystery. No, I LOVE a good mystery. This first in the Lewis Cole series did not blow me away. It just barely kept me interested, I thought there was too much unnecessary detail. I didn't connect with the characters so it was hard to keep going. However, some people whose opinion I trust DO like this series, so I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt and try the next one in the series.
Glenn Harris
Oct 28, 2014 Glenn Harris rated it it was amazing
First book of an excellent series featuring Lewis Cole, former intelligence analyst and current magazine writer, resident of tourist town Tyler Beach, New Hampshire, who helps out the understaffed local police force when he can. In this case he's after the killer of a young woman who seems to have a number of other people on his or her hit list.
Jul 26, 2015 Marcia rated it liked it
Found this writer in a collection of short stories edited by Dennis Lehane. Since I really like Lehane's style, I tried this author. Pretty darn good -- an interesting backstory to the lead character, and plenty of twists and turns in the plot lines.
Jan 02, 2015 Pat rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Good mystery. Character is ex-spy, Lewis Cole. Lives at beach in Mass.
He and his group were exposed to chemical warfare experiment.
Waitress is killed, looks like a suicide.
Good mystery.
William Mosteller
May 27, 2016 William Mosteller rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2014 Christine rated it really liked it
I read this for book club. I really enjoyed it. What was really nice is meeting the author at book club and hearing about the process. I am looking forward to reading one of his historical thrillers .
Dot Heimer
Feb 12, 2014 Dot Heimer rated it really liked it
I love the Lewis Cole Series. This is one of my favorite Authors.
I have read all of his books.
Nov 25, 2014 Gingerkat rated it liked it
First in a series getting off to a slightly rocky start (TMI about geography) but not bad. I will read #2 soon.
Apr 07, 2012 Sharon rated it liked it
Brendan Dubois will be coming to the library soon, and our book group wanted to read one of his books. Since Dead Sand is his first Lewis Cole book, it was an easy choice. Themes of greed, revenge and the things we do for love run through this book, and Mr. Dubois left us wondering what will happen to Lewis when the book ends. A good detective series, more so because the settingl is the NH seacoast. He changes the names (of the towns) to protect the innocent and part of the fun for me was figuri ...more
Mary Ellen Ormond
Feb 17, 2016 Mary Ellen Ormond rated it really liked it
Not a bad little book. Interesting to read about local places. Lots of typos and rambling sentences. Still, glad I read it.
Jan 08, 2012 Deb rated it really liked it
Saw this author on PBS NH Authors (Wed at 6pm every week). He started out wanting to be a scifi writer, but kept being rejected by every publisher. He changed to writing a mystery series about a town on the NH shore and it became a hit. I read the first in the series and liked it. The hero has a past that is slowly unraveled to the reader; has a house on the beach; helps the local police chief solve a mystery and catch a killer. Hero and characters are very likeable. Will continue the series.
Steve Coughlan
Aug 09, 2010 Steve Coughlan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
I love this book. It's so true to NH (at least mid-90s NH, and some still true today), and a good detective story as well. It shows a some rough writing edges as the first mystery novel by Mr. DuBois, but I know he gets better with time and practice, and they don't detract from the overall excellent effect. I've got 5 more Lewis Cole mysteries stacked up next to the bed to read, and I'm looking forward to enjoying every one of them.
Steve Payne
Dec 26, 2015 Steve Payne rated it liked it
This is the first Brendan DuBois book I have read. I liked it well enough to try another one. There were things about it that I didn't like that bogged the story down a bit but the main characters were interesting enough.
DuBois, Brendan - 1st in seris

Lewis Cole, a resident of tourist town Tyler Beach, New Hampshire, turns sleuth when prominent community members are marked for death and a beautiful girl is found hanged.

The first in a very interesting, very good series. Really like the character of Cole.
Aug 08, 2011 Viccy rated it really liked it
Lewis Cole is an ex-government officer who survives an unspecified disaster in the desert that kills his entire team as well as the woman he loves. He is offered a job as a writer for a New Hampshire magazine and now he lives in Tyler, New Hampshire, writing for Shore and solving mysteries.
Mark Pitman
Oct 25, 2013 Mark Pitman rated it liked it
Shelves: detective
Lewis Cole 01

Lewis Cole has retired to the NH seacoast from a US government intelligence job. Writing forShorline magazine Lewis investigates the identity of a decomposed body discovered in a swamp and how it ties wi the the apparent hanging suicide of a pretty young hotel worker.
Jul 15, 2015 Danie rated it liked it
Shelves: myst-thrill
It wasn't anything special, or too much surprising, just a solid, regular mystery that took up a couple hours of my life. Not bad, not awesome, a solid three.
Laurie Andres
Jan 19, 2014 Laurie Andres rated it liked it
Nice, hardworking mystery novel. Likable characters and an intriguing story. A bit overworked in spots would be my only criticism.
Mar 25, 2016 Lorlee rated it really liked it
Very good mysteries -- not at all typical or forumlaic.
Jul 18, 2013 Jane rated it really liked it
4 1/2 stars
Amanda marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2016
Rosie Golka
Rosie Golka marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2016
Goran is currently reading it
Oct 07, 2016
Ashley Hite
Ashley Hite marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2016
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2016
  • An Air That Kills (Lydmouth, #1)
  • Once Burned (Jack McMorrow Mystery #10)
  • Walking the Perfect Square (Moe Prager #1)
  • Death of a Dissident (Porfiry Rostnikov, #1)
  • High Rhymes and Misdemeanors (Poetic Death Mystery, #1)
  • A Killing at Cotton Hill (Samuel Craddock Mystery, #1)
  • Prime Time
  • The Villa Of Mysteries (Nic Costa, #2)
  • Lizzie
  • The Devil May Care: Fifty Intrepid Americans and Their Quest for the Unknown
  • Knitting in America
  • Dying Gasp (Chief Inspector Mario Silva #3)
  • Death on the Nevskii Prospekt (Lord Francis Powerscourt, #6)
  • Death in Autumn (Marshal Guarnaccia Mystery, #4)
  • Bodies Electric
  • School For Murder
  • Joint Enterprise (The Romney and Marsh Files #3)
  • Vanishing Cornwall: The Spirit and History of Cornwall
Brendan DuBois of New Hampshire is the award-winning author of twenty novels and more than 150 short stories. His novel, "Resurrection Day," won the Sidewise Award for Best Alternative History Novel of the Year.

In addition to his thrillers, Brendan DuBois is the author of the Lewis Cole mystery series.

He is currently working on a number of writing projects with New York Times bestselling author Ja
More about Brendan DuBois...

Lewis Cole (10 books)
  • Black Tide (Lewis Cole, #2)
  • Shattered Shell (Lewis Cole, #3)
  • Killer Waves (Lewis Cole, #4)
  • Buried Dreams (Lewis Cole, #5)
  • Primary Storm (Lewis Cole, #6)
  • Deadly Cove (Lewis Cole, #7)
  • Fatal Harbor (Lewis Cole, #8)
  • Blood Foam (Lewis Cole, #9)
  • Storm Cell (Lewis Cole, #10)