Start by marking “Just One Damned Thing After Another (The Chronicles of St. Mary's, #1)” as Want to Read:
Just One Damned Thing After Another (The Chronicles of St. Mary's, #1)
Read Book* *Different edition

Just One Damned Thing After Another (The Chronicles of St. Mary's #1)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  3,096 ratings  ·  512 reviews
"History is just one damned thing after another" - Arnold ToynbeeA madcap new slant on history that seems to be everyone's cup of tea...
Published September 12th 2013 by Accent Press (first published June 1st 2013)

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger11/22/63 by Stephen KingOutlander by Diana GabaldonThe Time Machine by H.G. WellsTime and Again by Jack Finney
The Best Time Travel Books of All Time
78th out of 406 books — 1,001 voters
Outlander by Diana GabaldonThe Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey NiffeneggerA Knight in Shining Armor by Jude DeverauxBeyond the Highland Mist by Karen Marie MoningA Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness
The Best Time-Travel Romance Novels
172nd out of 588 books — 3,326 voters

More lists with this book...

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways
Rating: 4* of five

The Publisher Says: “History is just one damned thing after another” - Arnold Toynbee

A mapcap new slant on history that seems to be everyone's cup of tea...

Behind the seemingly innocuous façade of St Mary's, a different kind of historical research is taking place. They don't do 'time-travel' - they 'investigate major historical events in contemporary time'. Maintaining the appearance of harmless eccentrics is not always within their power - especially given their propensity f

Madeleine Maxwell has had two pivotal moments in her life to date. Her second moment arose after a former teacher suggested applying for a job as a Historian at St. Mary’s Institute of Historical Research. During the interview, St. Mary’s is cagey about the exact nature of their work, but once Maxwell accepts the job, she discovers they are historians who use time travel to correct historical inaccuracies. St. Mary’s has a certain eccentricity about it that appeals to her own rebellious nature:

Jul 27, 2013 Hallie added it
Shelves: sf, time-travel, ebook
Well, I'm going to spend a bit of time doing one of the things that "shouldn't" be done in talking about a book: talking about why it isn't another book. Of course it doesn't matter in the slightest how this book is or isn't like To Say Nothing of the Dog - all anyone will be looking for in this review is whether or not I think the book worked and why or why not. On the other hand, so many of my friends here have read (and loved) To Say Nothing of the Dog that when they see a blurb describing a ...more
Christina ~ Brunette Reader
3,5 Stars

"[...] the St. Mary's Institute of Historical Research. [...] Their work inclines more toward the practical side of historical research."

Read "practical side of historical research" as "time travel of the first order" and you'll get an appealing offer a young and smart historian such as Madeleine Maxwell can't refuse.
From medieval England to WWI France, from the Cretaceous period, where the dinosaurs seem to be the least dangerous creatures treading the grounds, to the mythical Libr
This was a great deal of fun. It was quite dark in many ways - there are some nasty characters and many violent deaths - but this was offset by the quirky, funny, intelligent voice of Max, the narrator. I enjoy the way most time travel stories end up involving paradoxes, like a dog chasing its own tail, and this was no exception.

Matching the narrator's voice is the picture she paints of the time-travelling institution to which the narrator is admitted, St Mary's, which is filled with madcap Bri
Jamie Lymer
Well where to begin ? The book really grabbed my interest at first, and I thought the premise of the story was good.

However, some of the actions of the principal characters did not appear to be inkeeping with their previous behaviour - making them unbelievable.

Also from the description of the book I expected there to be a lot of detailed, historical content and there just wasn't - not enough to satisfy any history buffs anyway and that disappointed me.

Also annoying were the quips made by Max,
A friend recommended this, and it was free on Amazon, and I like time-travel tales, so...I picked it up.

Madeleine Maxwell (mostly known as Max, though Mad could also be appropriate) graduates in Ancient History and finds herself head-hunted by St Mary's Institute of Historical Research. Where, it transpires, they do their historical research the hands-on way, with the help of a set of time machines. Max dives happily into this milieu, recking nothing of possible danger, determined to become a fu
I picked up this book for two reasons. First the title made me chuckle to myself and second what at a quick glance was a cup of coffee, though I know better now that it is a cup of tea. I didn't even read the synopsis, I just clicked download and moved on looking for other little tid bits. At about 10 pm last night I cracked open my kindle and shuffled threw those tid bits and set myself to read this oh so very wonderful book. I haven't slept yet (its about 4 in the afternoon now and you will ha ...more
Sherwood Smith
Aug 02, 2013 Sherwood Smith added it
Recommended to Sherwood by: Hallie O'Donovan
Max (Miss Maxwell, but everyone calls her Max) was a troublesome kid from a terrible family life. But her headmistress, Mrs. de Winter, recommends she apply to the University of Thirsk at St. Mary's Priory.

There Max flourishes for the first time in her life, because she finds people as smart and as curious and wild and never-say-die as she is. She has the "real" interview, that is, finds out the true purpose of St. Mary's, and of course doesn't look back, even when the risks are outlined. Even w
O. M. G. This Should Be A Movie. Or a TV series. Or both!!! Just One Damned Thing After Another by Jodi Taylor caught me first off by the title. Brilliant! Then the opening chapters, feeling almost like a grown up Harry Potter, except no magic. Brilliant! I'll admit, at first I was a little confused with names and which character was which, but after that, it was off to the races. For anyone who's ever daydreamed of time travel and how cool that would be--AND it be not just a one-time adventure ...more
Jul 01, 2014 Ian rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ian by: ⊱ Irena ⊰
Shelves: b-historical, a-au
Madeleine is an historian, so working for the St Mary's Institute of Historical Research is pretty much her perfect job. But soon after the job interview and signing reams of non-disclosure contracts she discovers that the Institute does more than just look through dusty old books, they use time travel to observe the events as they unfold. And even more concerning, the historians who work there have a very high risk of death as history pushes back at them.

Jumping through time from the Cretaceous
I loved the concept of this book and I quite enjoyed the beginning, I just wish that the characters spent more time within the historical timelines. The main character was a real go getter and there were some nice twists, however, some of the character interaction was a bit much for me.

The narration was good and I hope the next book in the series focuses more on the historical side.
First paragraph:

There have been two moments in my life. Moments when everything changed. Moments when things could have gone either way. Moments when I had to make a choice.

The author titles her time-travel book with a quote from a famous historian - history is just one damned thing after another. Well, in most instances, so is this book - a series of events that are connected together sometimes only by the people that play a role in them.

Madeline Maxwell is a newly minted PhD who starts to wo
A story of history, time travel, love, friendship and tea. Meet the disaster-magnets at the St Mary's Institute of Historical Research as they ricochet around history, observing, documenting, drinking tea and, if possible, not dying. Follow the catastrophe-curve from eleventh-century London to World War I, and from the Cretaceous Period to the destruction of the Great Library at Alexandria.

I absolutely love this book so much that I went on ahead and read the next four books in the series withou
T4bsF (Call me Flo)
Billed as a story of history, time travel, love, friendship and tea. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was interesting, funny and emotional with some history and skulduggery chucked in for good measure. I love the phraseology used by the author - such treats as "he'd fallen for Kal like a sperm whale failing to clear the Grand Canyon on a bicycle"!
This is the first in a series and they take us to the Cretaceous dinosaur age and the burning of the Great Library of Alexandria. There is a darknes
Adventure The best of the best! the 700 books I have read to date, only 3 would I consider to be perfect. That number has now risen to 4. This book is sheer perfection.

Here's my formula for the perfect book: Adventure + Romance + Humor + Tragedy. It's so rare to find a book with all four of those necessary elements, and this book is packing.

I haven't laughed so much over a book in ages. Highly recommended! That's the best I can do for now, I stayed up too late reading it to do justice t
I love a good time travel story, and I thought this might be one. Sadly, it wasn't, and I only made it to 49% of the way through.

Other reviewers have mentioned that it needs editing. Mostly this takes the form of commas applied on the Jackson Pollock principle, only not enough of them. However, we also get "ok" in lower case, missing words in sentences, "three day's food", "the Peasant's Revolt" (he can't have got far by himself, poor chap), "discrete" for "discreet", someone's hair in a "French
I am angry with this book. I so wanted to like it. It is not one of those one stars where you just can't get hooked by the story, and leave it after 30 pages. It started out so well. But there are gaps in the storyline, the caracters are sketchy at the best, sometimes doing things that are not in line with their previous caracteristics. The plot is oveer 5 years but there is no developement. And you don't get a real explanation as to why somebody did something. I mean, there is some explanation, ...more
Laura Pilcher
Loved it with a capital L !!!!

Browsing Amazon (a very frequent occurrence) I saw the cover of this book and clicked without reading the synopsis. I had a really bad week these week it was literally one thing after another, so what was more appropriate than to read the book titled as such?
As I had not read the synopsis or any reviews I had no idea what the book was about. I envisioned a girl or woman trying to get on with life and everything getting in the way etc. Wrong with a capital W !!

Tammy K.
I did it! I completed this book! Yippy. Do I recommend it? No, sorry.
The time travel paradox logic fails miserably. I found myself arguing with the characters (author) about the characters current actions vs their previous statements.
The characters were all over the place. Their motivations were disconnected to their character build up.
The Romance/sex scenes was out of the blue. Awkwardly placed. They did not read like any experience that I would like to have.
So truthfully, this was not a book
"History is just one damned thing after another"- Arnold Toynbee

I think the title was my favorite part of this book, which came highly recommended. A lot of people like it, but I just couldn't get into it. Here's why:

- I don't really like time travel novels as much as other people do. The plot just feels like 'The Magic Schoolbus' adventures for adults. "C'mon kids, lets get in the time machine and go someplace! And then we'll go to some other place! And then we'll go to some other place!.."

- Th
It's free on kindle right now - having read it I'd pay for her next one happily. I was deeply suspicious of all the 5* reviews on Amazon especially for a first book (and given that there were so few on here)- but it was free so ..... really what did I have to lose except 20 minutes checking it out.

I now feel guilty that I allowed my poor experiences with other 'well-reviewed' books (You know the ones where they're all from the author's friends and family) to prejudice me quite so much - because
Sharon Kennedy
History, time travel, bad guys, mayhem and lots and lots of tea!
This was a brilliant, enjoyable read, about a historical research society who have some very powerful technology - time travel, to be exact - which helps them to ensure accuracy when recording events.
However, someone wants to destroy what St Mary's stands for - someone who has access to the same technology as the historians, and who is willing to do whatever it takes to stop them - even murder.
There were lots of things which made th
Dr.Maxwell is a historian, but that doesn't mean her job is stress-free. If she's not dodging dinosaurs then she's trying to evade the flames of Alexandria. Because Max isn't just any historian--she can travel back in time.

Hilarious, wonderful grasp of history (and delightful historical in-jokes!), and really fab character creation.
K.J. Charles
Hugely entertaining. Time travel adventure with a twisty plot, an emptionally repressed heroine, startling violence, very unexpected deaths to keep you on your toes, and a wonderfully demented research institute at the back of it. How much fun?! And incredibly cheap, and it's a series. Glomming the lot now.
Auntie J
11/13/14 Free today on Kindle and $1.99 Audible version if you buy the Kindle version first. Hard to beat that deal.
I bought this book for a few reasons - the price was right (0.99 at the time), and at the time I bought it my life seemed to be exemplified by the title alone. I'm glad I did.

The premise of the book is definitely interesting (who doesn't like the possibilities that time-travel opens up) and I could easily see how this could become a series. It's definitely written in a very light-hearted and breezy manner, including a fair amount of humor, making it easy and most times quite enjoyable to read. J
Very clever premise and not the cozyish mystery that was expectingish (the cover has a steaming mug of tea after all). Well written, however some developments were a bit rushed. Well set up for future books, and of course for anyone who wants to make a TV series.
I really enjoyed this book which incorporates historical time travel and a modern day thriller element as the chief protagonists must prevent their nemesis from committing various atrocities in previous times. The characters are well developed and it is a really fun read.
What would happen if historians, as they actually are, could go back in time?

This book.

It's actually a fun read with engaging characters. At times, the book does feel a bit too sprawling. Still it was great fun.

What I particularly liked is that by and large, the women in the book were friends with each other. There is also some wonderful comments and use of work place gossip.

(BTW - some short stories in this series are free audio books at the moment - 10/13/15)
  • A Bachelor Establishment
  • Pongwiffy: A Witch Of Dirty Habits
  • All about Emily
  • Sands of Time (Out of Time #6)
  • Of Another Dimension
  • Loch and Key (Incryptid, #0.08)
  • Kiss Me, I'm Yours (Tennessee Waltz, #2)
  • The Highland Twins at the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #18)
  • Lola Montez Conquers the Spaniards (Whip Smart, #1)
  • Reality Bites (Coletti Warlords, #4)
  • The Diamond Conspiracy (Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences, #4)
  • Undead Sublet (Half Moon Hollow, #2.5)
  • Fear in the Sunlight (Josephine Tey, #4)
  • The Mammoth Book of Time Travel SF
  • Penric's Demon (World of the Five Gods, #3.5)
  • The Myriad (Tour of the Merrimack, #1)
  • Just In Time (Portals of Time, #1)
  • Doctor Who: The Death Pit (Time Trips)
Jodi Taylor is, and always has been, a complete history nut. It takes vast amounts of chocolate to get her out of bed for anything after 1485. And if it's raining, there's no chance.

Habitually tongue-tied when asked to talk about herself, she gets round this by describing herself as tall, incredibly beautiful, witty and technically proficient.

The Chronicles of St Mary's -

Just One Damned Thing Aft
More about Jodi Taylor...

The Chronicles of St. Mary's (7 books)
  • A Symphony of Echoes (The Chronicles of St Mary's, #2)
  • A Second Chance (The Chronicles of St. Mary's, #3)
  • A Trail Through Time (The Chronicles of St Mary's, #4)
  • No Time Like the Past (The Chronicles of St. Mary's, #5)
  • What Could Possibly Go Wrong? (The Chronicles of St Mary's, #6)
  • Lies, Damned Lies, and History (The Chronicles of St Mary's, #7)

“Thinking carefully is something that happens to other people” 4 likes