Start by marking “Puppy Love and Thirteen Short Stories” as Want to Read:
Puppy Love and Thirteen Short Stories

Puppy Love and Thirteen Short Stories

The stories of F.Sionil Jose are culled from Filipino life and are clear windows to the humanity of a people striving for justice and well being. Some are also charming episodes on growing up and discovery.
Published March 15th 1998 by Solidaridad Pub. House

To ask other readers questions about Puppy Love and Thirteen Short Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Puppy Love and Thirteen Short Stories

Maria Ella
Jan 26, 2015 Maria Ella rated it really liked it
Recommended to Maria Ella by: Ayban Gabriyel
"How could two very young people get to know the arcane ways of loving, caring? I did not know then what love was but I did know feeling - unexpressed, compulsive - "
-Puppy Love, an excerpt

A collection of stories by the National Artist F. Sionil Jose, he coincided the them of love into his foray of genres - from magical realism, to taboo tales, to Noir-ish takes, and even a shot of a children's story. The red book is romantic but is not cheesy. He weaves the words like a household chore, like
Ultimotomasino
Dec 04, 2013 Ultimotomasino rated it it was amazing
Another five stars for F. Sionil Jose. Puppy Love is in no way sugary for those who are interested, neither is it all corny when it touches upon the different aspects and angles of the ever elusive concept of love.
Puppy Love, is hands down, one of his best short stories but one must also remember to sink their teeth into the other short stories in the collection like that of "The female principle", you're in for one hell of a hike with this one.
Like in his other novels, Jose takes on the coat of
Nin
Dec 04, 2013 Nin rated it it was amazing
Puppy Love and Thirteen Short Stories portrays love and its different facets (a love that is..., the love for...) and the loss of innocence. Humor is laid on thin and a certain heaviness is present in most, if not all of the stories. These are very thought-provoking and realistic (except maybe for one) that I often found myself questioning the reasons for the characters' behavior, why they have different notions about justice (who deserves it, who should give it, how they would get it, will they ...more
Biena (The Library Mistress)
Nov 04, 2014 Biena (The Library Mistress) rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-library, fsj, 2013, signed, pinoy
4.5 really.

Should've given this the perfect five because The Female Principle is really superb and The Waltz almost made me cry but I didn't like Dream Videos. So, there. 4.5

P.S.

I still love you, FSJ.
Michael Nelmida
This is my least favorite work of F.Sionil Jose but I liked the Dream Videos.
Aj Garchitorena
Dec 04, 2013 Aj Garchitorena rated it it was amazing
Waltz is my favourite. The concept of forbidden and 'never-ending love' was very touchy for me back when I was waaay younger, nevertheless, Waltz is still my favourite. The first time I read this, my chest ached for all the perturbed emotions that were built from the first sentence up to the very last words of the short story.

This whole collection is, matter of fact, worth reading. :)
Letlet Dimzon
Dec 04, 2013 Letlet Dimzon rated it it was amazing
its awesome
Yndrei
Apr 11, 2016 Yndrei rated it really liked it
Recommended to Yndrei by: Zim Dela Peña
This is my first book written by F. Sionil Jose. I am not really a fan of love stories but surprisingly I was moved by the stories I read in this book. I don't know if it's because of Puppy Love which is the first on the list. I was thinking that it set the whole mood of my reading since I was really saddened by what happened to the characters of that story. I finished the book having a general feeling of sadness.

Chenley Cabaluna
Dec 07, 2014 Chenley Cabaluna rated it it was amazing
#54 of 2014

Binuo nito ang taon ko. Ang sarap basahin. Teka lang ranting 'to ha. Wag umasa ng profound at pa-deep na review kase layman lang naman ako. Wahaha.

Yung choice of words. Yung way ng pagku-kwento. Sobrang ugh. Kada tapos ng isang short story sobrang emotional ko sa sobrang ganda haha.

May mga nakakagulat. May mga unexpected sobra ang ending. Galing talaga. Fan girl na niya ko.

Female principle ang pinaka-gusto kong short story. :-)
John Exos
Jul 25, 2016 John Exos rated it really liked it
Puppy Love and the other short stories is a good way of familiarizing yourself with F. Sionil Jose's writing style.

I recommend reading these stories first before the big move to the Rosales Saga Novels.
Ellé
May 13, 2015 Ellé rated it really liked it
This is the first time i read a book written by a Filipino author.. Surprisingly, i loved it!

Had to create a book review out of this book.
My favorite is Puppy Love and Female Principle!
Jules Fuentes
Jules Fuentes rated it really liked it
Oct 07, 2012
Lars Dalistan
Lars Dalistan rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2012
Joel Camaya
Joel Camaya rated it it was ok
Dec 20, 2012
Ayra Mercano
Ayra Mercano rated it it was ok
Jul 04, 2016
Christine
Christine rated it liked it
Nov 03, 2014
Rowena Morales
Rowena Morales rated it it was ok
Jul 08, 2015
Mejia Diane
Mejia Diane rated it it was ok
Feb 21, 2016
Monica
Monica rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2011
Alex Gallardo
Alex Gallardo rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2016
Pnx
Pnx rated it liked it
Sep 14, 2016
Christian Borres
Christian Borres rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2015
Ella
Ella rated it liked it
Dec 16, 2015
Ariel Anunciacion
Ariel Anunciacion rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2015
Rigil Kent
Rigil Kent rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2015
Paolo Abdon
Paolo Abdon rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2013
Camille Legaspi
Camille Legaspi rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2010
Neiley
Neiley rated it really liked it
Nov 21, 2016
Salonika Odessa
Salonika Odessa rated it did not like it
Sep 25, 2013
Paz Orange
Paz Orange rated it liked it
Jan 24, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • After Eden
  • Mga Agos sa Disyerto
  • Unreported Murders (Trese, #2)
  • Venn Man at iba pang Kalupitan ng Kapalaran! (Kikomachine Komix, #6)
  • Personal: Mga Sanaysay sa Lupalop ng Gunita
  • Anak ng Lupa
  • Zsazsa Zaturnnah sa Kalakhang Maynila (Part One) (Zsazsa Zaturnnah sa Kalakhang Maynila, #1)
  • Desaparesidos
  • The Filipino Heroes League: Sticks and Stones (The Filipino Heroes League, #1)
  • Habang Wala Pa Sila: Mga Tula ng Pag-ibig
  • A Mere Interlude
  • Manila Noir
  • The Kite of Stars and Other Stories
  • Hunger
Francisco Sionil José was born in 1924 in Pangasinan province and attended the public school in his hometown. He attended the University of Santo Tomas after World War II and in 1949, started his career in writing. Since then, his fiction has been published internationally and translated into several languages including his native Ilokano. He has been involved with the international cultural ...more
More about F. Sionil José...

“‎Life is worth living really but only if we believe it is, if we believe further that life is eternal not because the tissues last forever, but because the imagination never dies” 8 likes