Start by marking “Love Remains” as Want to Read:
Love Remains

Love Remains

Falling in love with someone allows for two possible narratives of your future: in one your love is returned, in the other it is betrayed. That is all. Nicholas and Chloe knew you couldn't create one possibility without the other. This is an exploration of love in the modern age.
Published 2006 by Pocket Books (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Love Remains, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Remains

Madeleine
To be a reader is to have encountered the boy-meets-girl, boy-loves-girl, boy-loses-girl tale many, many times. But it's the details that make the various incarnations of such a common structure either impossible to read or impossible to put down. "Love Remains" falls squarely into the latter category, and not just because I'm shamelessly smitten with Glen Duncan's writing.

The characters Duncan crafts are achingly human, which makes the whole premise believable. You know Chloe and Nicholas are d
Tessa
Mar 22, 2009 Tessa rated it it was amazing
I love this book, it's bleak, unrelenting, tender and generous. It's the birth and death of a relationship that should have lasted forever. It's something Duncan revisits with lesser effect in Death of an Ordinary man, that horror exists and you can survive it.

Chloe and Nicholas are a perfect couple, sweet and innocent, but simultaneously they have fallen apart from a tragedy they could not predict. i won't spoil it by saying what it is.
It's interesting how it's Chloe who truly survives it.

This
Barry
Dec 30, 2010 Barry rated it really liked it
The four stars is for the first half of the book, which was without doubt one of the finest portrayals of a relationship I have ever come across. The painfully beautiful portrayal of the romantic life of the two main characters will echo universally.

Unfortunately, the second half of the book becomes sensational and plot-driven and is all the worse for it. For me, this is ultimately a wasted opportunity but the glorious first half of this novel and its achingly truthful exposition of human inter
Christie
Nov 09, 2014 Christie rated it really liked it
Despite the fact that Glen Duncan’s novel Love Remains is only 277 pages long, it took me about a month to finish because I could never read anymore than a few pages at a time before my headed started to swim. But I mean that as a compliment rather than a criticism. Duncan is a well-known and much-praised British author who was new to me when I purchased the book. Love Remains, Duncan’s second novel, is almost relentlessly grim. Again – it’s a compliment, honest. There’s no way you could tackle ...more
Matthew Fray
Jun 09, 2015 Matthew Fray rated it really liked it
This is an intense read. The prose grabs you first; it's eloquent and almost frantic. Duncan never uses the obvious adjective and most of them are brilliantly unusual, yet appropriate. And it's always related back to what the characters are thinking and particularly feeling. The articulate way he details the inner workings of relationships is spot on. You know from the start that something has gone wrong in Nick's life but Duncan let's you get to know (and like) Nicholas and Chloe before droppin ...more
Cliff
Apr 26, 2015 Cliff rated it it was amazing
Did a reviewer say this book made them cry but still they read on? That's about right. Duncan reveals the deep disgusting part of us that at times I wish I didn't know about. This book IS upsetting because it is true (the purpose of literature?) - I just wish it weren't.
Jen
Mar 09, 2013 Jen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
1.5 stars....here's why for me. There just wasn't enough description where there needed to be. I found the writing very hard to follow. I felt that Nicholas and Chloe's relationship wasn't really even there. I had no connection to either of them. I never really got a feel for the love they shared for each other. I was never sure...did they love each other or hate each other? There were no "magic moments". I just felt completely unconnected to them and their relationship. I pretty much felt indif ...more
Fence
Apr 22, 2010 Fence rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This is a very different book in many ways from I Lucifer. There is no light relief and it is most defo not a funny book. What the two do have in common, however, is that both are very well written, and almost brutally honest. Sure I, Lucifer dealt with the devil and how he saw history, obviously rewritten in many ways yet it still pointed out through dark humour what it is to be human. Love Remains does likewise. It deals with emotion, love, pain and hate. Never shirking away from the big issue ...more
Julia
Apr 24, 2012 Julia rated it really liked it
This book was entirely too hard to read for me. Several times I had to put it aside just to get my head straight again. And I can honestly say I don't think I've cried while reading a book in the same way I did while reading this one.
The story was very harsh and deep. And the characters, in my opinion were either too blase, or too anxious about their relationship. It almost gave me a feeling of bipolarity.
Not to say it was badly written, it's a very good book and a very strong story. But its li
Ash Lucas
Jan 05, 2016 Ash Lucas rated it really liked it
Sandra
Oct 19, 2015 Sandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015
Another novel where I thank my lucky stars I picked it off the shelf with no more than an indefinable sense of "This one", and once again it is sobering just home many hugely talented writers there are out there I've never heard of.
This, as an exploration into the inner selves and relationship of two people - Nicholas and Chloe - is astonishing in its ability to entrap the reader into shocked, throat-aching suspense, and to force them to ask questions of their own understanding of what love is,
Trin
Jun 19, 2007 Trin marked it as to-read
Shelves: fiction
"The writer is a sadist and his book is horrible. You really must read it." <--Does this review of Love Remains make you want to read it or not? That's an interesting personality test, I think.

(Personally, having read three other books by Duncan, I want to read it but I'm also a little afraid.)
Alan
Nov 12, 2010 Alan rated it it was amazing
I picked this up in the library not knowing what to expect. It blasted me out of the water. (I was in the bath, or if the librarian is reading I wasn't it's just a metaphor). It's bloody, sexy, bold. Not everyone will like it.
Lauren
Aug 29, 2012 Lauren rated it did not like it
Ok, well-written but a HORRIFIC story that made me cry and gave me nightmares. Great piece of writing, not one I'd lend to anyone else :/
sisterimapoet
Never failing to shock or surprise - another great book by Mr Duncan.
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Coey
Coey rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2016
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2016
Suze
Suze marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
Hazi
Hazi marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Shannon Fox
Shannon Fox marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
C.S. Boag
C.S. Boag rated it did not like it
Sep 13, 2016
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
Jayna
Jayna marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
George
George marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Angie
Angie marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Marygrace
Marygrace marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Rain
Rain marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Vicki
Vicki rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2016
  • Boy
  • The Eggnog Chronicles
  • Nan Goldin
  • Alan Moore's A Hypothetical Lizard
  • Everything She Wants (The 310, #2)
  • Going, Going, Gone
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion: 3-in-1 Edition, Vol. 3
  • Roommates
  • Toddler-Hunting & Other Stories
  • Nodame Cantabile, Vol. 11 (Nodame Cantabile, #11)
Aka Saul Black.

Glen Duncan is a British author born in 1965 in Bolton, Lancashire, England to an Anglo-Indian family. He studied philosophy and literature at the universities of Lancaster and Exeter. In 1990 Duncan moved to London, where he worked as a bookseller for four years, writing in his spare time. In 1994 he visited India with his father (part roots odyssey, part research for a later work,
More about Glen Duncan...

“We go to the past to lay the blame - since the past can't argue. We go to our past selves to account for our present miseries.” 33 likes