Start by marking “Love Remains” as Want to Read:
Love Remains

Love Remains

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  142 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Falling in love with someone allows for two possible narratives of your future: in one your love is returned, in the other it is betrayed. That is all. Nicholas and Chloe knew you couldn't create one possibility without the other. This is an exploration of love in the modern age.
Published 2006 by Pocket Books (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Love Remains, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Remains

Madeleine
To be a reader is to have encountered the boy-meets-girl, boy-loves-girl, boy-loses-girl tale many, many times. But it's the details that make the various incarnations of such a common structure either impossible to read or impossible to put down. "Love Remains" falls squarely into the latter category, and not just because I'm shamelessly smitten with Glen Duncan's writing.

The characters Duncan crafts are achingly human, which makes the whole premise believable. You know Chloe and Nicholas are d
Tessa
I love this book, it's bleak, unrelenting, tender and generous. It's the birth and death of a relationship that should have lasted forever. It's something Duncan revisits with lesser effect in Death of an Ordinary man, that horror exists and you can survive it.

Chloe and Nicholas are a perfect couple, sweet and innocent, but simultaneously they have fallen apart from a tragedy they could not predict. i won't spoil it by saying what it is.
It's interesting how it's Chloe who truly survives it.

This
Barry
The four stars is for the first half of the book, which was without doubt one of the finest portrayals of a relationship I have ever come across. The painfully beautiful portrayal of the romantic life of the two main characters will echo universally.

Unfortunately, the second half of the book becomes sensational and plot-driven and is all the worse for it. For me, this is ultimately a wasted opportunity but the glorious first half of this novel and its achingly truthful exposition of human inter
Christie
Despite the fact that Glen Duncan’s novel Love Remains is only 277 pages long, it took me about a month to finish because I could never read anymore than a few pages at a time before my headed started to swim. But I mean that as a compliment rather than a criticism. Duncan is a well-known and much-praised British author who was new to me when I purchased the book. Love Remains, Duncan’s second novel, is almost relentlessly grim. Again – it’s a compliment, honest. There’s no way you could tackle ...more
Jen
1.5 stars....here's why for me. There just wasn't enough description where there needed to be. I found the writing very hard to follow. I felt that Nicholas and Chloe's relationship wasn't really even there. I had no connection to either of them. I never really got a feel for the love they shared for each other. I was never sure...did they love each other or hate each other? There were no "magic moments". I just felt completely unconnected to them and their relationship. I pretty much felt indif ...more
Fence
This is a very different book in many ways from I Lucifer. There is no light relief and it is most defo not a funny book. What the two do have in common, however, is that both are very well written, and almost brutally honest. Sure I, Lucifer dealt with the devil and how he saw history, obviously rewritten in many ways yet it still pointed out through dark humour what it is to be human. Love Remains does likewise. It deals with emotion, love, pain and hate. Never shirking away from the big issue ...more
Julia
This book was entirely too hard to read for me. Several times I had to put it aside just to get my head straight again. And I can honestly say I don't think I've cried while reading a book in the same way I did while reading this one.
The story was very harsh and deep. And the characters, in my opinion were either too blase, or too anxious about their relationship. It almost gave me a feeling of bipolarity.
Not to say it was badly written, it's a very good book and a very strong story. But its li
Trin
Jun 19, 2007 Trin marked it as to-read
Shelves: fiction
"The writer is a sadist and his book is horrible. You really must read it." <--Does this review of Love Remains make you want to read it or not? That's an interesting personality test, I think.

(Personally, having read three other books by Duncan, I want to read it but I'm also a little afraid.)
Alan
I picked this up in the library not knowing what to expect. It blasted me out of the water. (I was in the bath, or if the librarian is reading I wasn't it's just a metaphor). It's bloody, sexy, bold. Not everyone will like it.
Lauren
Ok, well-written but a HORRIFIC story that made me cry and gave me nightmares. Great piece of writing, not one I'd lend to anyone else :/
sisterimapoet
Never failing to shock or surprise - another great book by Mr Duncan.
Roby
Roby marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
M2reader
M2reader marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Jacques Willems
Jacques Willems marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Gwendolyn Layton
Gwendolyn Layton marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Pauline Dahl
Pauline Dahl marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Gwenji
Gwenji marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Val
Val marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
Meredith Watkins
Meredith Watkins marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Myrine
Myrine is currently reading it
Sep 06, 2014
  • The Eggnog Chronicles
  • Hidden
  • From A to X
  • The New Black: Mourning, Melancholia and Depression
  • Nodame Cantabile, Vol. 11 (Nodame Cantabile, #11)
  • Alan Moore's A Hypothetical Lizard
  • Tenderwire
  • Everything She Wants (The 310, #2)
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion 3-in-1 Edition, Vol. 1: Includes vols. 1, 2 & 3
  • Aftermath: Violence and the Remaking of a Self
  • Roommates
Glen Duncan is a British author born in 1965 in Bolton, Lancashire, England to an Anglo-Indian family. He studied philosophy and literature at the universities of Lancaster and Exeter. In 1990 Duncan moved to London, where he worked as a bookseller for four years, writing in his spare time. In 1994 he visited India with his father (part roots odyssey, part research for a later work, The Bloodstone ...more
More about Glen Duncan...
The Last Werewolf (The Last Werewolf, #1) I, Lucifer Talulla Rising (The Last Werewolf, #2) By Blood We Live (The Last Werewolf, #3) Death of an Ordinary Man

“We go to the past to lay the blame - since the past can't argue. We go to our past selves to account for our present miseries.” 30 likes