A Touch of Grace (Daughters of Blessing, #3)

A Touch of Grace (Daughters of Blessing #3)

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  732 ratings  ·  31 reviews
She thought she knew what she wanted in life... then Jonathan arrived.

Eighteen-year-old Grace Knutson loves Blessing, North Dakota, and sees no reason to leave. She's more serious-minded than her twin sister, Sophie, and very sensitive to the feelings of others. In spite of her family's disapproval, Grace has always had a soft spot in her heart for Toby Valders, for she's

Published March 1st 2008 by Bethany House Publishers

Kathryn
Stein
This is the twelfth book of the Bjorklunds of Blessing, North Dakota, saga. Grace Knutson, twin of her rebellious adventuresome sister Sophie, is the epitome of modesty, grace and predictability. She has been handicapped by being deaf since birth but with the support of her family--especially her mother Kaaren--she has successfully become an accepted and contributing member of her closely knit Blessing community. However, her staunch love for a boy who has the reputation of being a troublemaker...more
Betsy VanSweden
Snelling's novel A Touch of Grace perfectly depicts a farming family in Blessing, North Dakota and the struggles they, namely the main character Grace, face. Grace is deaf, as a disabled character she exhibits many highly regarded qualities including courage and love of family and the will to work in spite of ones disabilities. Grace's characterization gives insight to those without disabilities regarding how those with such difficulties can sometimes see those of us who are blessed without such...more
Jodi
This book was about a girl names Grace. She was a twin who was born deaf. Her twin sister Sophie was already married with two twins of her own. Grace wanted to make her own way and really liked a boy named Toby. Toby was always nice to her growing up and would never let anyone make fun of Grace. Toby found someone else and Grace was very upset. A new man came to town and fell for Grace. Grace was not interested in the begininng. She traveled to New York and attended a school for the deaf. She be...more
Mayda
This third novel in the Daughters of Blessing series, centers on 18-year-old Grace, deaf since birth. She has overcome her disability so well that no one in her small community even thinks of her as disabled. She attracts the attention of Jonathon Gould, the son a wealthy acquaintance of Grace’s family who spent the summer working on their farm. But when she travels to New York to attend a school specializing in teaching deaf children and adults, she is greeted with disdain and scorn by the Goul...more
Shelley
Ummm...no wonder I had a hard time following the characters...this is #3 in the series. I grabbed this book on cd from the library and had no idea it was part of a series. It ended too abruptly so I suppose there is another one to wait for...grrr. I don't think I will bother going back to read the first two. It was a unique perspective. There was one point in the story where they talk about Grace getting distracted by a rooster, but she can't hear so how could this be? Ah well. It was a real sho...more
Kelly M
The third in a series of 4, this book (and series) is actually a sequel to a larger series of books all about pioneers in the Red River Valley of North Dakota and (the original series spans 1880 to about 1900) takes place in the first 4 or 5 years of the 20th century. The characters in these 4 books are the daughters of the women in the first series. These books appealed to my love of all things pioneer, "Little House on the Prairie", life in simpler times, and very Christian without being preac...more
Meghan
Jan 08, 2014 Meghan rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
3.5 stars. Parts about it I loved, but there was a frustrating lack of an ending. I've already bought book 4 so I assume it will wrap up there but even in the context of a series I'd expect more of a closing.

Otherwise it was an enjoyable read. I felt like Grace's character changed a bit from previous books, but I suppose it could simply be us getting to hear in her head.
Elentarien
Quite enjoyed the story on this one. Interesting having a deaf character for a change. One might think this would make for a boring read, but it was quite well carried out, and did not really make the character boring at all.
Only thing I did not care for was the ending. It was a bit too. . .'things will work out in the future' instead of wrapping up nicely now. :) But thats a matter of style, I guess.
Kati
Apr 10, 2008 Kati rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Shannon, Mom
This book focuses on Grace -- Sophie's twin sister who was born deaf. The other main story line follows Jonathan David Gould -- the son of Mr. Gould who saved Ingeborg when she got lost in New York when they first arrived in this country and has remained a friend and coorespondent throughout the years. He sends his son Jonathan to stay with the Bjorklunds for the summer to teach him about hard work.
Dani
This is the first of the Blessing, ND books where it seemed that the story wasn't over at the end. Snelling didn't exactly give us a cliffhanger, but I wanted more of Grace's story. The love story didn't really get going until the book was almost over. I'm hoping that there will be more than a passing reference to Grace in the later books.
Susan
I have thoroughly enjoyed all the books in this series. This is the first one that didn't have a horrible tragedy befall someone, other than the livestock I guess. I felt that at times the descriptions of food and cooking procedures was a little overdone. But I have to admit, I could almost smell the food cooking!
Jodi
Really enjoyed this one! It was interesting to see how how people outside of Blessing treated Grace and how much more accepting people are of disabilities now (although there is still a long way to go). There was lot of foreshadowing of things to come--I'm assuming Haaken will be sick in the next book.
Christine
This book was better than the first two. I haven't read a book (since Hellen Keller...forever ago) told through the perspective of a deaf person. It was an interesting perspective. This one I had a hard time putting down....or actually stop listening to the CD.
Alice
Not entirely convincing in its portrayal of the lip reading skills of the deaf twin, Grace. However, a good description of the culture shock when she leaves the protected cocoon of her family home and enters the formal world back East.
Rachel
I have just started it seems okay the guy Jonathan is really a city boy! He was all disgusted about getting a couple drops of milk on him!
Patricia
Another very good book. I am so liking this series - glad I decided to get back to it again and all the people in Blessing N. Dakota.
Aubrey
This was the first book I read in the series. I hope to read the others in order.
Overall good book.
Dmont
Apr 17, 2011 Dmont added it
Totally loved this book. It opened my eyes wide open reading it. It is inspirational for the Christian life.
Cathy
A; Loved this story about Grace who is deaf and how she works through a broken heart and finds love.
Marcia
Book #3 in the Daughters of Blessing series. Tells the story of Grace Knutson in North Dakota.
Oksana
An amazing story about love between a city boy and a deaf girl... True and gunuine love!!! =]
Kristi
Loved it, as I do all the Red River books by Snelling. I can't wait for the next one!
Marie
I always enjoy reading anything by Snelling. She has become one of my favorite authors.
Leona
I found this book slow to get started, but it improved in the second half.
Nicole
good love story about a rich boy and a deaf girl infatuated with someone else.
Melissa
I just could get myself to really care about the characters...
Odetta
I really liked this book. It was the best one yet in the series.
Dana French rogers
Loved it. Did not. Like 4 th book at all tried.
  • A Dream to Call My Own (The Brides of Gallatin County, #3)
  • Whispers Along the Rails (Postcards from Pullman #2)
  • Remembered (Fountain Creek Chronicles, #3)
  • Blessings (Sommerfield Trilogy, #3)
  • Dear to Me (Brides of Webster County, #3)
  • Texas Brides
  • The Courtship of the Vicar's Daughter (Gresham Chronicles #2)
  • Hope (Brides of the West, #3)
Lauraine Snelling is the award-winning author of over seventy books, with sales of more than 2 million copies.

She also writes for a wide range of magazines, and helps others reach their writing dreams by teaching at writers’ conferences across the country.

Lauraine and her husband, Wayne, have two grown sons, and live in the Tehachapi Mountains with a watchdog Basset named Winston.

They love to tra...more
More about Lauraine Snelling...
Ruby (Dakotah Treasures, #1) Pearl (Dakotah Treasures, #2) An Untamed Land (Red River of the North, #1) A Promise for Ellie (Daughters of Blessing, #1) Amethyst (Dakotah Treasures, #4)