Start by marking “First Comes Marriage” as Want to Read:
First Comes Marriage

First Comes Marriage (Solution: Wedding #3)

Grandfather rang the wedding bells!Janine Hartman loved her grandfather dearly--but she balked at his plan to choose her a husband. Zach Thomas, the intended groom, didn't like it any better.

Zach had recently merged his business with the Hartman family firm, and that was the only Hartman-Thomas merger he wanted. But Grandfather had other ideas, ideas belonging to a differe
Published July 15th 2013 by Harlequin Mira (first published February 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about First Comes Marriage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about First Comes Marriage

Marianne
Jun 10, 2011 Marianne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First Comes Marriage is the 43rd stand-alone novel by Debbie Macomber. Janine Hartman is a well-off volunteer worker who lives with Anton, the grandfather who raised her after her parents were killed. Zach Thomas is a self-made man whose business has merged with Anton’s. When Anton tells Janine that he would like her to marry Zach, both she and Zach are shocked and surprised. This is the modern-day USA, not mid-century Europe! And anyway, they can’t stand each other! She’s rich, spoiled, illogic ...more
Nadine Keels
Jun 27, 2016 Nadine Keels rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Financial and practical advantages! You make it sound about as appealing as a dentist appointment. There's got to be more of a reason than that for us to get married."

It was her grandfather's idea, the whole notion of a marriage between Janine and Zach. An arranged marriage, at that. But the two of them don't exactly plan on going along with the dear old man's old-fashioned plan in First Comes Marriage by author Debbie Macomber.

Heeheehee, just look at that 90s cover. I'll admit it was some nost
Ashley Gibson
Oct 08, 2013 Ashley Gibson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a great story. Some of the schemes the grandfather came up to get Zach and Janine together were hilarious. I can totally relate to this story because when my grandmother found out she had alzheimers disease she was determined to marry me off. I couldn't go anywhere because is she saw a guy she would ask if he was single and try to set us up, it was so embarassing. It is funny to read stories about people who are targets of matchmaking attempts unless you are the target. This i ...more
Debbie West
Feb 26, 2016 Debbie West rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a fan of Debbie MaComber, and this book of hers just confirmed my great opinion if her. It's not part of a series, which is nice. I get tired of the small town series, since our library doesn't usually have all the books in one series..people check them out but don't return them. I enjoyed this delightful romance, though the arguing had started to get to me by the time it ended. The characters were full of life, especially meddling Grampa. I liked the part about him sending his partner & ...more
Debbie Heaton
In Macomber’s romantic novel, Jasmine is an independent woman—regardless of her grandfather’s opinion. She has plans of her own that don’t go hand-in-hand with her grandfather’s plan of arranging her marriage. When Zach Thomas merges his business with the family business, he sees it as business only. But when Jasmine’s meddling grandfather starts matchmaking, Zach and Jasmine are thrown together despite their individual plans.

Arranged marriages are antiquated and no longer acceptable in today’s
Shakira
Nov 03, 2014 Shakira rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The plot is choke-filled with my favourite tropes but everything has been done better by some other author. It was a half-hearted and apathetic attempt at a novel, which is abundantly clear from the lack of chemistry between the protagonists. It might have been appropriate for the time when it was published but it does not have the timeless quality of other books, written even before Macomber's time.
Shakira
Nov 03, 2014 Shakira rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Emily Higgins
Apr 12, 2014 Emily Higgins rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
Janine Hartman's grandfather decided that Janine should marry his business partner, Zack Thomas. Because Grandfather came from a generation where arranged marriages were the norm, he felt that an arranged marriage would work just as well for Janine. An early novel from Debbie Macomber, but cute.
Tania
Jul 23, 2011 Tania rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookcrossing
Randomly chosen from my pile(s) of books and it is book 85 of 2011 - aim 133 books in 2011
Mary Baker
Jan 04, 2017 Mary Baker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a quick, easy read that provided humor and escape. I enjoyed it.
rivka
Read as part of Married in Seattle omnibus.
Emily Stevens
Cute, non-trashy romance.
Aishah
so romantic
Rosemary Yakubowski
This was a nice little romance novel. I did enjoy reading it however there were many times I wanted to smack Janine!!!!! CUT IT OUT GIRL!!!!! (you'll see)
Tiffany
Cute story but seemed unrealistic. I read many unrealistic books but would you really marry someone you felt didn't like you or was only fond of you?
Sue Klasing
Pleasant love story about a well meaning Grandfather who tries to "arrange" a marriage for his Granddaughter with his young ambitious business partner. fast read.
Rida Ahmed Sajid
Surely a sweet laugh aloud
Virma
Jun 05, 2015 Virma rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sweet short story although frustrating at times. True to her formula, an enjoyable read by Author
Joyce Retherford
Joyce Retherford rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2014
Linda Melville
Linda Melville rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2016
Melinda
Melinda rated it liked it
Mar 13, 2016
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was ok
Dec 23, 2016
Cathy Beasley
Cathy Beasley rated it it was amazing
Sep 04, 2015
Lloyd
Lloyd rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2016
meggan walkoviak
meggan walkoviak rated it liked it
Jan 10, 2015
Lucy A. Lugo
Lucy A. Lugo rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2017
Judy
Judy rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2015
Ida Lukasik
Ida Lukasik rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2015
Jeannie Reeves
Jeannie Reeves rated it it was amazing
Oct 18, 2016
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2008
  • The Bachelor Prince
  • Front Porch Princess
  • Life, Libby, and the Pursuit of Happiness
  • Lady Polly (Suffolk, #2)
  • The Apartment
  • Made of Honor
  • Bride Enchanted
  • Theodora's Diary: Faith, Hope and Chocolate
  • Silver Nights
  • Too Good To Be True
  • Sleeping Beauty (Fairy-Tale Series #2) (Larger Print Love Inspired #415)
  • Princess Charming (Men from Special Branch, #2)
  • Monday Morning Faith
  • Fulfillment
  • Kiss Me Tomorrow
  • Rosetta's Daring Day (Tales of Pixie Hollow, #14)
  • An Island Like You: Stories of the Barrio
  • Castles: Kingdom Divided / Alas My Love / If Only / Five Geese Flying
Debbie Macomber is a #1 New York Times bestselling author and one of today’s most popular writers with more than 200 million copies of her books in print worldwide. In her novels, Macomber brings to life compelling relationships that embrace family and enduring friendships, uplifting her readers with stories of connection and hope. Macomber’s novels have spent over 990 weeks on the New York Times ...more
More about Debbie Macomber...

Solution: Wedding (6 books)
  • To Choose A Wife (Solution: Wedding, #1)
  • A Most Convenient Marriage (Solution: Wedding, #2)
  • Make-Believe Marriage (Solution: Wedding, #4)
  • Once Upon A Time (Solution: Wedding, #5)
  • Taking Savanah (Solution: Wedding, #6)

“It’s said that there are men who make things happen, those who watch things happen and those who wonder what happened.” 0 likes
“Janine,” Anton cried, delighted. “Zach. My, my, this is” 0 likes