Start by marking “Runaway Mistress” as Want to Read:
Runaway Mistress

Runaway Mistress

3.89  ·  Rating Details ·  2,489 Ratings  ·  209 Reviews
Not much can go wrong when you're traveling first-class with your fabulously wealthy boyfriend--until you find his wife's body in your hotel suite.

Convinced she's next on Nick Noble's hit list, Jennifer Chaise takes off down the Vegas Strip armed with only her wits and a Kate Spade bag full of money. Giving herself a drastic makeover--complete with a new name--she lands he
Published June 15th 2012 by Mira Books (first published May 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Runaway Mistress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Runaway Mistress

♥Rachel♥
Oct 13, 2016 ♥Rachel♥ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, audio-book
Robyn Carr rarely disappoints. Wasn't fond of the life Jennifer had when the book first started, but this was about change and finding out what is really important. Jennifer didn't have many friends or appreciate the simple things in life until she was forced to.

Loved the friendships and the romance! Alex was a normal guy, no yacht or millions to his name, but their feelings for each other were so very genuine and passionate!

Hated Sylvia, Hedda's mother! She was a piece of work!

Laurie Ryan
Nov 20, 2013 Laurie Ryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve been loving Robyn Carr’s Virgin River series, so I thought I’d step away from it for a moment and try something else. Runaway Mistress is a different kind of love story than I’ve read before. Alex and Jennifer, er, Doris, don’t have their first real interaction until about page 100, but it’s worth the wait. :) And Jennifer’s metamorphosis throughout the book is seamless and interesting. I also have to say the final line is this story is one of the best I’ve ever read. It’s perfect for the s ...more
Judy
Aug 27, 2007 Judy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up hoping it was an easy read to take my mind off of wedding planning, but I found out that I'd rather read it than flip through a bridal magazine! Very entertaining and for some reason you feel yourself relating to the characters in this book.
Pamela(AllHoney)
Jennifer Chaise believes she witnessed a crime and that her boy-friend is out to kill her. She flees to a small town and gets a job as a waitress. She makes many friends in the small town, including Alex, a cop.

The story had a bit of a chick lit vibe to it and the romance element starts later than most romance novels do. The book centers on Jennifer and her journey away from the life she once had and learning to fit in with the new friends she is making. There were a few heart-wrenching moments
Jonmontanavega
I highly recommend Swept Away. Excellent story. Why do I think so?

Robyn Carr’s Swept Away weaves together so many things I treasure in a well told tale, so very genuinely. I've lived only 15 of my years (so far) in small towns in the Southwest, but Swept Away brought those wonderful years back to me: The dusty, hot winds of summer, and the much cooler nights of winter and spring. How huge thunderstorms take over the sky with sound and light and then are gone. I’m Anglo, yet I was privileged to b
Lori
Sep 15, 2016 Lori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
A very enjoyable read. It could have been a smidge more suspenseful but overall I liked it.
Kelly Moran
Aug 03, 2012 Kelly Moran rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-reviews
Jennifer Chaise has spent her whole adult life being some rich man's mistress. After a rocky childhood, she was determined to have security. But when she finds her boyfriend's wife dead in their Vegas hotel room, she takes off into hiding, thinking she's next. In the small Nevada town, she meets officer Alex Nichols, who knows she's hiding something. Jennifer also discovers herself, a community determined to help her, and a new lease and purpose in life. But when her past finds her, everything s ...more
Jess
Nov 26, 2009 Jess rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, robyn-carr
This was a little different from her other Virgin River series and her Grace Valley Trilogy.

It's all about a woman who is on the run from her boyfriend Nick (who happens to be married) because she's afraid he's goign to kill her. To hide from him she finds a small town on the outskirts of Las Vegas, she cuts all her hair off, cuts her nails etc... and starts working for min wage in a diner.

Here she finds that maybe her life wasn't so great when she had no friends but had all the money and gifts
phoebess
There were just so many people for a not-that-long stand-alone and from the beginning I was a little bit lost in who was who. And then I lost my will to keep up with all those names and relations because every single character had more than just a small role in this book...
And I think I'm getting sick of those lucky coincidences in which someone in trouble finds a helping hand in the first try. In this case that helping hand is almost the whole town. And almost everybody is a saint and happy and
Bethany
Jun 27, 2016 Bethany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
4.5 Stars
Jessica Ashe
"Typical, basic beach read"

Is there anything you would change about this book?
For a beach read, it was a good read, but for anything more involved than that, this book would have fallen short. Typical & basic are the first words that come to mind.

Which character – as performed by Therese Plummer – was your favorite?
Alex. He is your "hero" of the story. He is a small town cop who has dealt with his own heartbreak with a past wife and falls in love with the new girl in town, little does he kno
Marleen
Mar 01, 2017 Marleen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: robyn-carr
Robyn Carr has a way to surprise me now and then with her romance stories: some are good, and some are a bit too bland. This one was surprising as the female protagonist was rather unconventional, in the sense that she was a “professional” mistress of sorts. Now that's a type of woman we don’t come across that often. Was she genuine, I don’t know? I couldn’t get behind Jennifer Chaise's character completely. For me that concept of being a companion to rich men is hard to fathom.
Even with the ba
Vickie
What a great listen Swept Away was! When I first began listening to the story, I was sure that I would not like the main character, Jennifer. She is the girlfriend of a mob-like character and thoroughly enjoys all the reward of this lifestyle. But in one incident, everything changed. I really began to cheer for her as she learned to accept her past and learn how to be a friend not just to herself but to others. She is surrounded by some funny secondary characters while she is on the run and her ...more
Ian
Oct 24, 2011 Ian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's an entertaining bit of fluff, but more for the women. The thing that really separates Robyn Carr's Virgin River books from other books in the genre is that she deals with issues without drowning in them. I read Runaway Mistress off the back of her Virgin River series and A Summer in Sonoma.
I don't think it has the same pull for male readers as the Virgin River series, nor does it deal with characters facing very real challenges like Summer in Sonoma, but it's entertaining enough to deserve
Trang Nguyen
Carr has yet to dissapoint me. This was a good book to read in between my different series I am reading. This was about a girl who grew up in poverty and made a life for herself by being a girlfriend/ mistress to rich men. However, after an event that scares her from her current lover, Jennifer is scared and on the run. She discovers a cute, remote, quiet city outside of Las Vegas where she discovers the life she was living didn't make her as happy as living in this town.

Love, friendship, a sen
Therese Wiese
This was my first time reading this author. I almost stopped reading it, because I thought the opening was a bit formulaic. So glad I stuck with it. Loved her characters, loved the little plot twists. Really loved the ending. I will definitely try more of this author's books! I have tagged this a beach read because it is the kind of story I want to read when I am on vacation.

Thank you to the publisher for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Tiffani Long
Jul 31, 2016 Tiffani Long rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Ate this little gem up in a Sunday afternoon. Great story...sweet characters, and a little different style from Robyn Carr, but in a good way. Ending was a little rushed for my tastes. But, I also think all books I love should have an epilogue that follows the characters I'm so invested in for an additional 5-10 years ;)
Dawn
Nov 11, 2008 Dawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys romance.
Recommended to Dawn by: I enjoy Robyn Carr's books.
I enjoyed this book. Most of the characters were very likeable. I liked the way Jennifer/Doris came to think of the towns people as family and began to appreciate the simple things in life. She definitely redeemed herself from being a rich man's mistress to someone who enjoyed helping others.
Virginia Lloyd
Aug 20, 2016 Virginia Lloyd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Never Too Late

Sometimes fear can be a good thing, as in the life of Jennifer aka Doris. Especially when one's reAction to that fear brings something you didn't know you were missing. Wrapped together, romance and mystery beckons you to read Sea Swept !
Ashleighloveland
Apr 22, 2010 Ashleighloveland rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked having a heroine who'd made some mistakes, had some real flaws but was still a cool person. Generallyliked this story.
Pavana
Mar 24, 2017 Pavana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first book of Robyn Carr and it will not be my last! I loved how she wrote. Liked all characters. Liked the plot too. I somehow didn't like the career choice of Jennifer. Even if I understand why she became a mistress first time, I don't understand why she had to continue on taking other guys. Other than this, I liked all the other characters. There was romance, friendship, compassion in this book. We need more people like Buzz! Louise was also very inspiring. All in all it was a good ...more
Jeanne
Jan 21, 2017 Jeanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
This is another good Robyn Carr romance story. Jennifer Chaise is a kept woman. Her sugar daddy is wealthy and ruthless. The later kind of surprised Jennifer when she thought Nick had killed his wife. Jennifer ran away to a small town, used an alias Doris, cut off her hair, and changed her wardrobe. She makes a lot of friends in this small town, including Alex, the man next door. This story explores the challenges facing women. Are they valued for what's on the outside or for what's on the insid ...more
Charlie Moses
Well, it's Robyn Carr. And while I wouldn't call her books Romances, exactly, there's still a lot of romance in them. Also, the characters are so...nice. Except for the one who's bad, of course. Why I don't classify this as a romance is because it's about a bunch of people. A community, let's say. And all of them are, roughly, human, and have, roughly, human problems. Which are engaging and interesting to the reader, because Robyn Carr makes them so.
Arlene Downey
Jan 26, 2017 Arlene Downey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, ebook
Very enjoyable story. People are very well described and likeable.

Small town life at it's best with people looking after one another. A woman very much alone lands in their lives and they take her in with no questions asked. She is running away from a relationship that is no longer working for her and she is afraid she is being sought.

Romantic suspense at it's best.

I read this story as Runaway Mistress because I acquired it before it was rereleased as Swept Away.
Sally Brooks
Feb 15, 2017 Sally Brooks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love all Robyn Carr novels and this stand alone is no exception. Loved it!
Crystal Karre
Feb 19, 2017 Crystal Karre rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it as always
Bev
Feb 13, 2017 Bev rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How ever the title was changed to Swept Away. The story was the same. Interesting why was the title changed?
Jeannie
May 10, 2017 Jeannie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this story. The characters were fun and heartwarming
Suze
Jan 14, 2017 Suze rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
SWEPT AWAY

Interesting story, I didn't like it as much as most of the author's books- but it was still good. It was set in a pleasant small town with some unique characters.
MaryLee Eischen
This started quite exciting and then seemed to loose energy. Characters were not well developed.
  • Wedding Dreams: First Comes Marriage\Sweet Dreams on Center Street
  • Deadly Fate (Krewe of Hunters, #19)
  • Hiding From Danger (Danger Incorporated #2)
  • Whirlwind (Welcome to Tyler, #1)
  • The Sweethearts' Knitting Club (Twilight, Texas, #1)
  • The Secrets She Kept (Fairham Island, #2)
  • Out of the Mist (Stewart Sisters, #1)
  • Wish You Were Here
  • Woodrose Mountain (Hope's Crossing,#2)
  • To Mother with Love
  • How Sweet It is
  • The Sheik's Command (Sahara Kings #1)
  • Mending Fences
  • A Winter Wonderland
  • Daughters of the Bride
  • Keeper's Reach (Sharpe & Donovan, #5)
  • The You I Never Knew
  • All the Right Angles
A RITA award-winning author of 25 novels, Robyn Carr has found a whole new following with her stories about the independent women and former marines of Virgin River."

RT's Career Achievement Best Author Award winner (2010) for Contemporary Romance.

RWA's Nora Roberts Lifetime Achievement Award recipient 2016
More about Robyn Carr...

“And it’s my opinion that people who don’t like dogs are coldhearted and impatient.” 0 likes
“reaching for the” 0 likes