Start by marking “Speechless” as Want to Read:
Speechless

Yvonne Collins

Speechless

3.14 of 5 stars 3.14  ·  rating details  ·  401 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Libby McIssac is known for two things: catching bridal bouquets (her record's an even dozen) and having a way with words. Since the former isn't really something that looks good on a resume, it's helpful to have parlayed the latter into a new career as a political speechwriter. But just as she's making sure her boss looks as if she knows something about...well, anything, L ...more
ebook
Published June 1st 2012 by Red Dress Ink (first published February 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Speechless, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Speechless

Chanpreet
Libby is 33 years old and has just had a job change. She's gone from being a bureaucrat in the Canadian Department of Education to being a speech writer for the Minister of the Department of Culture. Her only other claim to fame is the number of bouquets she's caught as weddings. She catches her 13th at the wedding of her friend Emma's wedding, where she meet's Tim.

While Libby's excited about her new job, things aren't going so well. Margo, the Minister's right hand woman doesn't like Libby and
Kharah
I was torn by this book. On the one hand, I got a kick out of reading about a main character who has the same height joys/challenges that I do, and I also got a kick out of a chicklit book being set in the world of Ontario provincial politics. On the other hand, this is chicklit, and that means a lot of self-inflicted problems, out-and-out stupidity and fluffy foolishness that make you want to bang your head against a table or throw the book across the room. In all fairness, I had way fewer of t ...more
Sherry Hall
Easy fluff you've read before. Predictable plot. Working girl in her thirties worries about finding true love. Finds great guy, loses him for 'hotguy'...hot guy turns out to be a jerk (I know, so shocking) -wanna guess how it ends? Oh yeah and our girl has a difficult boss and the requisite group of friends including a really gorgeous girlfriend, a happily married one and a personal psychic named Elliott. Elliott is dating a guy named Gunter who is in a band. Gunter is a very minor character but ...more
April
I love first novels and this one didn't fail me! There is something exciting and a little romantic about reading an author's first novel. I will defiantly read more from these two talented authors! I do have to admit, I am a little interested in hearing what Richard needed to say to Libby!
Kana Haya
do you believe that receiving bridal bouquet will make you another bride to go? well, it's not for Libby McIsaac. it is her 13th bridal bouquet but the man who catch the grater has already had a girlfriend.

Libby then decide to keep focus on her new carrier as a speechwriter for Clarice Cleary, Canada's minister of culture. but the job seems like in hell. but Libby then has two man in her life waiting for her love.

its a bit boring at first, but it goes in a funny way then.
Courtney
I liked the setting and the characters (gay psychic, bitchy competitive best friend) for the most part but the overall story left a lot to be desired. I wasn't really sympathetic to the main character because she was stupid, she KNEW she was stupid, and she kept going for the jerk co-worker regardless of all the warning signs. I'm just happy I didn't have to buy the book (thank you, Public Library!) and it was a nice way to spend a lazy afternoon.
Meaghan
i really enjoyed this story and the writing style. hope to see more from this team.
Krystal
so far loving this book. parts are slow, not as good, but I have to say when the book hits the mark its right up there with my favorites. There are places that are just laugh out loud funny, that sustain you through the hum drums...
Loved this book. It was funny, cleverly written. I wanted to yell at Libby for being confused about Richard or Tim. But then I think back to when I faced the dilemna of good vs evil and chose poorly.
Emily Smiltneck
A wonderful "romantic comedy" of a book... I especially enjoyed reading it after being involved the gubernatorial campaign before the 2006 elections. Although it takes place in Canada, I could really relate to the political aspects of the book. I could relate to the main character, too... she is a bit of a well-intentioned dunce, which would be an apt description of me, at times, too!
Kathleen
This book moved much too slow. The book's description on the back makes it sound like a fun read but "the handsome British consultant" isn't even introduced until you are halfway through the book and at the half way point there is no hint of the promised "big time scandal." I got bored and decided to stop reading it entirely and move on to something else.
Nancye
Honestly, if this hadn't been written with a Canadian government minister I would have thought it was written about one of my previous bosses. I had to pass it along to other coworkers I enjoyed it so much. Gives you an opportunity to laugh at the hell we went through.
I would have only given 2 stars, but there were a couple of really funny parts that earned it a whole extra star. It wasn't bad or anything, just not the most gripping storyline ever. I wasn't like "I can't wait to have time to read more" or anything, but it was decent enough.
Shama
Fun, light summer read. I found myself liking the characters and wishing I could hang out with them (except for Lola). Good chick lit. Somewhat predictable but the getting there was fun. Hope these authors write more books.
Rlgriffith
This book was WAY too long. A good story, good characters, but about 100 pages more than was necessary to tell the story. But the time I got close to the end, I finally just skipped a bunch of filler just to be done with it.
Brittany Stegemoller
I didn't really care for this book, it was cute, but slow. Not really my kind of read. And the end was good, but it just kept me wanting a little bit more..so I knew exactly what happened with the relationships! ughhh
Andrea
I can't make up my mind about this book. It had its enjoyable moments, and I liked all of the characters, but there were parts when it seemed to drag on and on. Overall it was an alright book, pretty cute
an
Cukup 1 kata:

MEMBOSANKAN

Tapi mungkin memang itulah realita kehidupan yg hanya berjalan karena rutinitas belaka. n seperti cerita pada umum yang slalu happy ending dari tokoh utama na. hu-hu.

Jules
I liked a lot about this book. However, it was waaay too long. About have the size to tell the same story would have worked a lot better I think. It became too repetitive of the same storyline.
Sharon Archer
I am speechless that I took the time to read this book!!...it's like sex and the city in Canadian Government...silly but fun.
Kathy Pham
it's girl fluff but having just finished Under the Banner of Heaven and Deception Point, i need a girly beach book.
Oky Septya
I read it like for a halfway... then I still got bored all the time. I abandoned it and give away
Doofenshmirtz
This book is mostly entertaining, but boring at parts that I can't give it the whole 5 stars.
Deborah
Having worked in government and closely with Ministers I could seriously relate to this book!
Charity
This book was definitely not as cute as I thought it would be. Most of the plot was forced.
Jessica
A cute and charming read on a snowy day.
Shannon Rochester
Never fully "fell" for the characters...but it was a good storyline.
Heather
One word can accurately describe this book for me .... Boring!
Mei
so hard to understand this book..
  • It's Not You, It's Me
  • Up & Out (Red Dress Ink)
  • The Last Year of Being Single (Red Dress Ink Novels)
  • The Matzo Ball Heiress
  • Crossing the Line (Jane Taylor, #2)
  • Name & Address Withheld
  • Mean Season (Red Dress Ink Novels)
  • Joyride
  • Summer in the Land of Skin (Red Dress Ink)
  • My Life Uncovered
  • Bombshell
  • The Night I Got Lucky
  • Fat Chance
  • Babyface
  • Out of the Blue
  • Starting from Square Two
  • Me Times Three
When I'm not writing books with Sandy, I can usually be found on a film set, where life is anything but dull. I've hung off the side of Toronto's CN tower, faced down a Grizzly bear, danced with Gregory Hines, and shared a beer with Ireland's Lord Guinness.

In 2003, Panavision Canada recognized my camera skills with the coveted Woody Award. It's an honor. Really.

And to think I almost became a cop.
More about Yvonne Collins...
Girl v. Boy Love, Inc. (Love, Inc., #1) The Black Sheep TruLeigh (Vivien Leigh Reid #1) MadLeigh (Vivien Leigh Reid #2)