Blank-133x176
Tales of a Drama Queen

Lee Nichols

Tales of a Drama Queen (Drama Queen #1)

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  1,316 ratings  ·  70 reviews
APPLICATION FOR EMPLOYMENT
Name: Elle Medina
Marital Status: I'm separated from my fiance.
Occupation: He was a highly paid attorney.
Employment History: You mean mine? Technically I haven't exactly worked before. But I'm motivated and I work well with others. Most others. Usually.
Career Goals: I thought I was happy with Louis, but now I'm not sure. Ever since he dumped me for...more
ebook
Published June 1st 2012 by Red Dress Ink (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Tales of a Drama Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tales of a Drama Queen

Barbara
I went to visit A Friend in a different city and didn’t feel like reading the book I took with me, so we found a used bookstore and decided to check it out. I mean, there are Borders and other regular bookstores but I generally find cooler things in used stores. This time, not so much.

However, I did get 3 books: 2 Piers Anthony and “Tales of a Drama Queen” by Lee Nichols. This was, I discovered to my horror only after I bought it, a Red Dress Ink book. Which means it’s published by Harlequin. We...more
Kristin Gansor
Cute, defiantly better than I had expected.
At points I didn't like the main character. I don't relate to her in any way since she has never had a job and is very surface/looks orientated and just isn't anything like me, but I think that is what made it enjoyable for me... Reading about something that I am not and seeing someone with that lifestyle fail and have lots of major bumps in the road.
I found this at Goodwill for 99 cents and for me it was worth every penny. I don't think I would pay ful...more
claire
I'll read "Chick Lit" if its lying around, it only takes an hour or two. And this happened to be lying around this weekend. I was pleasantly surprised, despite the cover, the title, the publisher....I found it really smart and LOL'd at several moments. Really fell in love with the protagonist and shared her credit card agony and other foibles. That's a funny word, foibles. Elle Medina is spiritually the American younger cousin of Bridget Jones and that can't be a bad thing. Check out the review...more
Melanie
I loved this book - Nichols is one of my new favorite chick lit authors! The story is amusing and entertaining, and though it's fluffy there is a real core to the book that helps you forget the fluff. There are definitely moments when you are yelling at Elle to stop, to think for a second, isn't it OBVIOUS what's going on??!!, but really, her naivete is part of what makes her such a charming character. You want to take her home and feed her soup and take care of her. The ending is a bit deus ex...more
Shelly Broussard
I was very close to giving up on "Tales of a Drama Queen". I even had the disappointed review written in my head, but sometime after page 50 or so, it gradually got better until Elle was no longer the shallow, vain example of why chick-lit gets a bad wrap. Instead, she became someone you want to root for as she learns to believe in herself and becomes less "surface-y". Still, I was a little disappointed that Merrick turned out to be physically perfect and Elle didn't just fall in love with him d...more
Cortney Smith
ehh. it was an OK read. some funny parts.
Shari
Fun book, fast read
Meaghan
funny and a quick read. madcap adventures of a girl who loses her sugar daddy and must find her own two feet to stand on.
Loraine
I would give it one more star, but for the swear words. I'm so SICK of them. They really aren't necessary as a daily part of MY life, so I don't understand why an author would deem it necessary for a character in her book.

Other than that, the book was good. For a while, I got sick of her being a whiney, self-absorbed woman, who expected everyone to take care of her. But, I guess that's the whole point of the story, how she overcomes that.
Denise
While I didn't care for the protagonist at first, slowly the author put her through the wringer of dead-end jobs and it began to feel like sweet, sweet revenge. I was so hoping she wouldn't be "saved" by some romance, and she wasn't. So I've changed my rating on this book and I would recommend it to fans of chick lit, with the following warning: it ain't pretty, and I like it like that.
Krista
Whoops! I loved this book when I first read it many years ago, and had been looking for the second book, which has a very similar title. I got excited when I found it on amazon. Downloaded it, and started to read, I still felt like I had read it, because I had. I didn't remember anything that happened, so it was like reading it again for the first time. I still really like it!
Rana
I wish I shared the same enthusiasm for this book that other reviewers have shown, but the main character got on my nerves. I wanted her to make a good decision for herself; I wanted her to be responsible; I wanted her to quit being so gullible. And her obsession over Merrick's hair was a little overdone. I understand why in the end, but it was a little much for me.
Danielle
A little unbelievable, occasionally frustrated with main character yet found myself strangely attached to the story. It was humorous and frustrating at the same time. Overall an okay read, a little too much going on and a little too frustrating dealing with someone so spoiled, however, that is what makes her a drama queen.
Kirsty (alkalinekiwi)
One of those books that I decided to read on a day off, curled up in bed.

I do enjoy chick-lit on occasion and am pleased to say I enjoyed this one. I could relate partially to the character - I'm also in my late twenties and don't feel much like a grown up (though my experiences are vastly different to hers).
Holly
It took me about 100-150 pages to really get into the story because the lead character seemed too annoying for me at first. Soon I found myself absorbed in the novel and even laughed out loud. It had a wonderful ending and is definitely a book I will keep on the shelf to read again.
Kathy
I wish I could give this a deeper review, however, I only made it through about 60 pages before I gave up. I thought it would be light, witty and humorous, but it was more annoying, boring and flat. Try it if you want, but I could not get invested in the story.
Rachel
This book has a horrible title, and not only because it brings to mind an unrelated Lindsay Lohan movie. It sounds like a generic piece of chicklit trash, when it's actually a hysterically funny piece of chicklit trash. There's a difference.
Kristen
Reads like a less-well-written version of the Shopaholic books. Elle has many of the same financial problems as Becky, but Elle also gets herself into some unique and funny circumstances as well. Funny, with some laugh out loud moments.
Ann
It was okay. The ending was a lot better than most of the rest of it! The main character to me wasn't so much a drama queen as a dingbat! She sounded like the dumbest 26 year old I've ever heard of and was a little annoying.
Suzan
Such a fun and easy read. It pulled me in and I never wanted to put it down! Elle reminds me of so many of my friends and she can definitely hang out with my crew anytime, I love the fun and drama she brings to any situation!
Paula
Really funny and easy to read book. The main character gets herself in so many crazy scenarios (wouldn't be chick lit if she didn't) but she so likeable that you are always rooting for her!
Iris
I feel like Elle sometimes. Okay, not the fiance Elle. But the "Where am I going with my life?" Elle. If she can figure it out, I'm sure I can too. Hopefully, it will be as easy for me. LOL!
Ellen
This wasn't exactly my cup of tea. I didn't care for the girl in destress who can't do anything for herself and mooches off of a man. It actually drove me crazy to read this, but I did finish it!
Mary Lea
This was a cute book and had alot of laugh out loud moments. It is very "light" (what else do I read) but alot of funny and very warm. I'm looking forward to read more items from this author.
Kate C
It had me giggling out loud at some bits. Definitely a no-brainer read that only took me two days. But well worth the laughs. I couldn't figure out which friend to pass it along to first!
Katie
This book was written for me & about me. One of the most hilarious books I've ever read. I laughed 'til tears ran down my face then sobbed like my heart was broken at the end. LOVED it!
Darce' Byrd
This was an easy read and a good read. Don't expect an award winning novel, but if you would like to laugh (mainly becasue you are a drama queen yourself) then you will like this book.
This was a pretty good book and a very easy read. The main character got on my nerves a bit though, but I'm still going to read the next one, True Lies of a Drama Queen.
Margaret
A fun read - Elle was a blundering accident waiting to happen. Think this would be funny as a movie. Enjoyed the Santa Barbara locale since I went to school there.
Erika
Quick read, silly, fun. Definitely for girls. Had some language and sexual content. Not an award winner by any means, but good for in between thicker novels.
  • The Thin Pink Line
  • Up & Out (Red Dress Ink)
  • Monkey Business
  • Loose Screws
  • The Breakup Club (Red Dress Ink Novels)
  • Mike, Mike & Me
  • Confessions of an Ex-Girlfriend
  • Burning The Map
  • Name & Address Withheld
  • The Pact (Rachel Benjamin, #1)
  • Strapless
  • Rescuing Rose
  • My Fake Wedding
  • Starting from Square Two
  • The Last Year Of Being Single (Red Dress Ink Novels)
Lee Nichols is the author of five novels for adults, including the bestselling TALES OF A DRAMA QUEEN. She'll be making her YA debut in 2010 with DECEPTION: A Haunting Emma Novel. Follow her on Twitter at LeeXNichols or Friend her on Facebook at Lee Nichols. http://www.leenicholsbooks.com/
More about Lee Nichols...
Deception (Haunting Emma, #1) Betrayal (Haunting Emma, #2) Surrender  (Haunting Emma, #3) Hand-Me-Down True Lies of a Drama Queen