Nocover-blank-133x176
Hand-Me-Down

Lee Nichols

Hand-Me-Down

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  457 ratings  ·  40 reviews
For Anne Olsen, new and improved is the only way to live. So how'd she fall for a secondhand man?

Charlotte had the Malibu Barbie with a full wardrobe, Emily inherited a slightly used Barbie with two outfits and Anne was left with a one-armed, bald Barbie who enjoyed nudist colonies. It's little wonder that at twenty-nine, Anne drives a new car, eats only from freshly opene...more
ebook
Published June 15th 2012 by Red Dress Ink (first published January 1st 2012)

Melissa Sivilich
Loved this book!! A fantastic, easy read, about a girl who wants to grow a taller shadow then her 2 perfect sisters. Anne is the baby, but has never suceeded in life. The oldest sister is a model, and is positively gorgeous, the middle aquired the smarts, and writes her own books. Anne, the youngest has done nothing more exciting then working at your standard 9-5 office job. She is always looked down upon as the younger sister of gorgoues Charolette, the younger sister of intelligent Emily. Hand...more
Devon
Anne the youngest of three sisters who feels perpetually over shadowed by Charlotte her supermodel older sister as well as sister Emily the critically acclaimed author, is a quirky twenty-nine year old who is having a hard time finding her niche in life. Her sisters have found insurmountable success at extremely young ages and Anne feels complacent in just being the average Olsen sister. She floats from job to job and from man to man without much thought of the future. Until she reunites with he...more
Jane
Cute story about finding love and one's place in life.

Anne, is the youngest of three sisters. The oldest sister Charlotte has the good looks and the middle sister Emily has the brains. Anne, well... she has some beauty and some brains, but she feels never measures up the to her sisters and their "perfect" lives. Anne never stays at one job for very long, and goes through guys just as fast, dumping them for one reason or another (even if it is only Vague Dissatisfaction).

Anne likes her current...more
Emily
Wasn't the worst thing on the planet, though had some pretty darn predictable pieces. Could like some of the characters some of the time. Some of the theme of hand-me-down was really beaten to death; didn't need to be in my face the whole time.

Nice, fast read; would have probably been a great beach book, but February is so NOT beach weather!!!! Not super intellectually stimulating, but I did read it for long chunks of time, and that's always something I like in a book; will consider keeping the...more
Deborah
Charlotte grew up in the shadow of two successful older sisters while suffering from VD (Vague Dissatisfaction). She wants to find her own happiness and does by focusing on a project that she belives in. Ian, her sister's ex, re-enters Charlotte life (she always had a crush) and helps her along the way even though he is engaged.
Cute story, quick read, humorous.
Mrs. TB
The youngest of three sisters, the main character has always had things handed down to her. Bumping into her model sister's ex-boyfriend, she wonders if she can accept this hand-me-down. It was predictable, funny at times, but nothing worth the time it took to read it ... not sure why I kept reading it!
Jenny
This is an amusing & entertaining modern day romance with lots of laughs. I felt the characters were not simple caricatures and instead brought to life with all of their quirks and faults. I needed a light read right now to balance the stress from work, so this one hit the right mood for me.
Patti from Charlotte
I thoroughly enjoyed this better-than-average chick lit book. The relationships were fairly well developed if not predictable, and the outcome satisfying if not fairly abrupt. All in all, a fun-yet-light look both into the real estate world as well as those sibling rivalries at any age.
Ilovereading
I love this slowly budding, adorable romance with several plot twists! To see my full review, visit:

I review adult, young adult, teen, and preteen fiction all on the same website.
Hannah Parry
This is one of my all time favorite "quick reads". The dialog is witty and hilarious, the main character, Anne, is hysterically funny, and Ian is WONDERFUL. I'm convinced this book would make one of the greatest chick flicks of all time! I highly recommend!
Jennifer Harrell Scott
I absolutely adore the voice of this book! The MC has a very distinctive personality that is as endearing as it is exasperating. The plot was perfectly paced and well-orchestrated. I will definitely be searching for more books by Lee Nichols.
Julie
Total chick lit, but fun! I read Lee Nichols' first book and thought it was hilarious so I tried this one. Not quite as good, but the characters are really likable, even though they're predictable and a little silly.
Amy Kelly
It took place in Santa Barbara so it was fun to recognize some of the places mentioned. I have 2 sisters but our drama is nothing like these gals as far as their relationship goes. Enjoyable!
Meg
I kept waiting for this book to get better. Even for a quick vacation-read I didn't get much enjoyment out of it. I found the main character annoying and predictable. Not recommended.
Daisy
This is another random selection from the shelf. It was a quick and entertaining read. I feel responsible to let you know that I'm going to rate it PG-13 for sex and language.
Jaimelynne
I liked the younger sister trying to step out of her older sisters shadow but took the left over/hand me down theory was taken too far with the boyfriend. b
William
Liked the Santa Barbara setting. Clever lines. Anne and her sisters are good characters. Don't expect wonderful things and I think you will like this book.
Charity
Cute story about sibling rivalry (jealousy) and hating hand-me-downs. Heroine falls for a secondhand man and doesn't know what to do. Very funny and fast.
Christina
Hilarious, but if you don't like language in your books, you might want to avoid this one.

I'm still laughing, very funny and very fun to read!
Aparna
I wouldn't say that the story per-se was very good. Though i loved her style of writing - dry sarcastic humor which tickled my funny-bone a LOT.
Stacey Ashton
I really liked this book. The story was cute and I could totally relate to Anne's issues with old things & left overs. Cute love story!
Marissa
Sep 27, 2008 Marissa rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Angie
Recommended to Marissa by: Kim
Very entertaining and funny - I love Lee Nichols. I had to finish this book and I was laughing so hard at all of the sarcasm at the end.
Rebekkila
I can't wait to read more by Lee Nichols. I wasn't expecting much when I started this book, but it was really funny and hard to put down.
Maggie
So cute! A very fast and easy read. Hilarious hijinks, likable characters! Love it, will be looking for more from this author.
Kim Sheppard
I thought this book was just Ok. I found myself skipping a lot sections because it was kind of boring and wordy.
Kim
I just love this author. Another great book. Easy to read, easy to love the characters. This one gets an A+ in my book!
Dana
The perfect book about the hysterical relationships between sisters. About love, family, and finding yourself.
Erika
You could predict this one from page 3. Fun to read, but got boring dealing with the character's phobia.
Megs
An uplifting to those that feel that are unlucky in love and that hand me downs aren't really all that bad
Mandy Brajuha
Light read. Girly and summery. Nothing that will change your life, but a good distraction.
  • Girl Most Likely to
  • Crossing the Line
  • Getting Personal
  • The Matzo Ball Heiress
  • Starting from Square Two
  • Whose Wedding Is It Anyway? (Red Dress Ink)
  • Loose Screws
  • L.A. Woman
  • Confessions of an Ex-Girlfriend
  • Catching Alice
  • Pink Slip Party
  • The Hunt (Rachel Benjamin, #4)
  • 32AA
  • The Year Of Living Famously (Red Dress Ink Novels)
  • Hello, It's Me
  • Un-Bridaled
  • Jack with a Twist: Engaging Your Adversary and Other Things They Don't Teach You in Law School (Brooke Miller, #2)
  • Strapless
Lee Nichols is the author of five novels for adults, including the bestselling TALES OF A DRAMA QUEEN. She'll be making her YA debut in 2010 with DECEPTION: A Haunting Emma Novel. Follow her on Twitter at LeeXNichols or Friend her on Facebook at Lee Nichols. http://www.leenicholsbooks.com/
More about Lee Nichols...
Deception (Haunting Emma, #1) Betrayal (Haunting Emma, #2) Tales of a Drama Queen Surrender  (Haunting Emma, #3) True Lies of a Drama Queen