Start by marking “Burning the Map” as Want to Read:
Burning the Map

Laura Caldwell

Burning the Map

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  828 ratings  ·  57 reviews
The choices Casey Evers has made in her twenty-six years aren't exactly making her happy. In fact, her life is so on course--college, law school, boyfriend, job offer--that it's actually off. So, before she slides into fourteen-hour days at a Chicago law firm, she heads to Rome and Greece with her two best friends for one last hurrah. The thing is, her best friends haven't...more
ebook
Published June 1st 2012 by Red Dress Ink (first published November 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Burning the Map, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Burning the Map

Georgia Bell
*audiobook review*

One of the best things about Burning the Map is that it surprised me. I was expecting something that fell neatly into the Chicklit genre, and instead I found a story about real friendship, self-identity, and travel.

Casey Evans is a refreshing protagonist. Smart, gutsy, and refreshingly indecisive about her future, Casey is the proverbial dog who caught the bus. On a European trip to celebrate the completion of law school and her bar exam, Casey realizes that getting everythin...more
Jennifer at BookShelfery
It’s hard to say if I liked Burning the Map or not. One one hand, I identified with the characters; on the other, they sort of annoyed me and I never really came around to liking the protagonist.

Casey Evers is one of those lucky post-post-grads who gets to take time off between grad school and Starting Real Life to poke around Europe while the rest of us slave away at Corporate America, eking out our livings so we can read about people like her. (I’m not bitter.) She’s on this fun jaunt with her...more
Kristyn
Now if you know me, you know I love to travel - so this book was right up my alley (even my friend noticed)! Even if I haven't been to Rome or Greece, or anywhere international (aside from a few islands), after reading this book, I felt like I was there. Immediately, I was able to identify with Casey, feeling like an outsider with friends, in her case with Kat and Sin; fortunately for me, I never went on vacation with friends that made me feel like that. However, this book helped me see both sid...more
Jessica
Love, love, loved it! Casey is fresh out of law school, and before starting her career at a big firm, she embarks on a European vacation with 2 of her best friends. She seems to have it all: great friends, loving boyfriend, great job. But Casey isn't happy with her life. This is something she discovers as she and her friends explore Rome and Greece. She has important decisions to make, and this trip seems to be just what she needs to take her life back. This book really spoke to me. We all get a...more
Lauren
I have absolutely no idea how I heard of this book, but I'm glad I did. The author grew up in Crystal Lake, and I'm a librarian at the Crystal Lake Library, so I must have heard of Laura Caldwell via work somehow, but none of my friends have read / reviewed this book, so I'm still clueless where or when I added it to my "to-read" list.

Burning the Map is a cute little romance novel that would appeal to any twenty-something woman who's confused about her personal and professional future. The char...more
L.
Reading this book for me was a case of knowing which side my bread is buttered on. The author is related to [someone important to my job]. So being able to discuss the book coherently is a Good Thing.

Surprisingly, it's not a bad book (although frankly, I'm not sure I could bring myself to discuss much about it with The Relative; it's pretty risque for that kind of conversation). We follow Casey as she hooks up with her Best-Friends-Since-College-Days, Sin (Lindsey) and Kat and heads off to Rome...more
Kellie
I read this book in 2006(!). My journal entry from Bookcrossing:

A good read. I have liked all of Ms. Caldwell's books that I have read. I was interested in reading this one in particular because the characters visited the two places I hope to visit some day: Italy and Greece.

The girls were great characters, although Sin could kind of be a bitch at times. I'm glad that Casey figured things out and decided to follow her heart at the end.
Merredith
On my last day of vacation, I read two books, and this was the second one. When my first chick lit vacation book ran out right after I got to the airport to go home, I started this one. It lasted my whole long airport wait, my short little more than an hour flight, and getting ready for bed. In the morning, I finished up the last chapter before work. Yup, it was THAT quick. This is a junk food type chick lit book, about three friends on a trip to rome and Greece, and one of them learning about h...more
*ile*
La vicenda, narrata in prima persona da una ragazzina fresca di laurea e spaventata dal futuro, tratta le avventure di tre zoccoline americane in giro per l'Europa; la narrazione parte dai giorni, che le protagoniste, hanno trascorso a Roma, dove vengono snocciolati uno dietro l'altro tutti i clichè sulle abitudini italiane possibili ed immaginabili (ed alcuni totalmente falsi tengo a precisare), poi ci trasferiamo in Grecia, classica meta per far sognare qualsiasi adolescente in cerca di rispos...more
Laura Flanagan (Oscuro y Seductor Romance)
Me esperaba más de todo. Más locuras, más aventuras, más. El libro está bien pero tampoco es para dar saltos de alegría. Nos cuenta la historia de la protagonista y como un viaje con sus amigas marcará el rumbo de sus decisiones.
Las amigas la hacen caso cuando las da la gana y ella aún así "cree" notar que las cosas entre ellas no van bien. No hay que ser un genio con las contestaciones que recibe. Su novio es un aburrido de tomo a lomo y en este viaje se desmelena, y se da cuenta que aunque ha...more
Jennifermilheim
Enjoyable read but could have used a little less internal dialogue and more actual conversations.
Char
Good summer read. Ever second guess your life path? Who you are with, the job you are doing, where you live? Ever think you would benefit from making changes to your career, changes to your relationship? Well, if so this book is for you. We get so tied up in the stress of our routine sometimes it takes a mental vacation to unwind it all and to grasp on to what needs to be changed in order to make things better. This was a good read. It can definitely be reality in some minds. The reviews on this...more
Alisa
I really wanted to like this book. The back cover sold me completely, but the book just never hooked me. I suppose it didn't help that I absolutely loathed the main character, Casey. All her complaints were so trivial and naive that I had a hard time believing she had a brain.

This story could have had so much potential. Why did Kat and Sin act the way they did? Why is Casey's mom into plastic surgery? Why is John such a sap (especially when he's portrayed as cold & callous throughout 90% of...more
Sharal Hunter
I really enjoyed the story. The descriptions of Italy and Greece were captivating. I was a little surprised at the way the book ended. Though I enjoyed the book overall, I would have liked to have seen a different ending. I liked the Billy character and I would have liked to have known more about how Casey makes out. One thing that I found interesting was that this book was spurred from a trip the author made to Italy and Greece after she graduated from law school. Hmmmm.....I wonder how much of...more
Katie
easy read but just not a huge fan
Lynn Sharp
A fun book...I Loved this book felt like I too went on a mini-vacation with the girls.
Melanie
I adored this book, and I wanted it to be longer so badly - I was sad when I was finished! I could feel Greece on my skin, like I can in the fabulous Greece scenes in Mary Stewart's novels. Some parts of the characters were a bit one-dimensional, but I felt like they all got fleshed out well by the end, and the main character always felt real and flawed and human. Highly, highly recommended - Laura Caldwell is one of my favorite authors.
Deborah
Casey heads to Rome and Greece with her two best friends. She hopes to rekindle their friendship and get a little vacation before she starts her new job at a law firm (does she really want to be a lawyer and work all of those hours?) and return to her boyfriend John (does she want a future with him?). It's awfully hard to commit to girl-time when these foreign men pose a constant distraction.
Cute story.
Kim
Everyone needs a bit if escapist reading now and again, but at times this one was particularly unpalatable. For one, I thought the end was pretty predictable. Also it annoyed me how much the main character and narrator talked about her weight. Lastly, I felt there were too many references to people's skin color. Each time it happened I re-read the sentence and wondered, is that really necessary?
Cindy
Rather stupid. A young woman, bored with her boyfriend of two years and terrified about beginning her law career, goes on a vacation with her two best friends to Rome and Greece. She doesn't know what she really wants and is involved in some crude escapades with drinking and nudity. She ends up shucking the boyfriend and job to be lazy on an island. Great. . .
Marlys
This book was just OK -- sort of "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" for grown-ups. Three 20-somethings take a girls-only vacation to Rome & Greece...much angst over men ensues. The three are trying to patch up their strained friendship but their individual problems & hang-ups keep getting in the way. I was expecting more...oh, well.
Dawn
I really liked this book. It's about what I'm sure everyone has dreamed of doing....traveling around Italy and Greece with your best friends. It was really cute, and I could relate well to the character of Casey and how she feels about the turning point in her life. It's official...I'm addicted to RDI books:)
Bree
It was as good as I suspected. I have read several of Caldwell's books and have never been disappointed. She builds good characters and doesn't do so much that it seems like the end is so face paced because the author is coming up to 300 pages. It took me less than 2 days to read it!
Christy
Fluffy, chick-lit novel about three friends who take a vacation in Rome and Greece. The main character, Casey, is about to start her first job as a lawyer and has a great boyfriend yet she feels unfulfilled and is unsure whether she actually wants to be a lawyer.
Melissa Moy
Sadly, I am only giving this book two stars because I can't really remember much about it. I read this book a few years ago but when a book is really amazing, I'll remember it. I think I remember picking up this book, really excited, but was left disappointed.
Cecilia
This is my first Caldwell and I loved it. It's fun and light, but it has enough uoomph to surpass romances and other lighter chick lit fair. Caldwell's writing style is easy going and breezy, just like the story here. Another author for me to savor!
Kristi
A great "escape book" with beautiful backdrops and scenery. I read this on a relaxing trip to Albuquerque and really identified with the story line...when life gets too predictable/stressful, sometimes you just need to get-away from it all.
Kellie (CurtisandKellie)
A great escape in a book. It took a couple chapters to get into it, but once I did I was pleasantly surprised. It makes me want to drop everything and trek around Europe experiencing everything.
Ceil
First novel by a friend of mine. Great girlie summer read. It's light, but the emotions the characters deal with are universally experienced and well rendered. Lots of fun.
Angeld01
I really liked it - but spent much of the book being really frustrated by how mean her friends were. Why accept her invitation on a trip if you dislike her so much?
  • Strapless
  • Name & Address Withheld
  • Tart
  • Getting Personal
  • Loose Screws
  • Whose Wedding Is It Anyway? (Red Dress Ink)
  • Dating Without Novocaine
  • Bombshell
  • Tales of a Drama Queen
  • Starting from Square Two
  • Slightly Married (Slightly, #4)
  • Monkey Business
  • The Dominant Blonde
  • Do They Wear High Heels In Heaven?
  • Up & Out (Red Dress Ink)
  • The Funeral Planner
  • The Key (Rachel Benjamin, #3)
  • A Minor Indiscretion
Laura Caldwell is a Chicago-based lawyer turned novelist. Her first book, Burning the Map, was selected by Barnes & Noble.com as one of The Best of 2002. Following that, A Clean Slate received a starred review from Booklist. The release of The Year of Living Famously and The Night I Got Lucky prompted Booklist to declare, “Caldwell is one of the most talented and inventive...writers around.”

La...more
More about Laura Caldwell...
The Year of Living Famously A Clean Slate Red Hot Lies (An Izzy McNeil Mystery #1) The Night I Got Lucky Red Blooded Murder (An Izzy McNeil Mystery #2)