Blank-133x176
Tart

Jody Gehrman

Tart

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  402 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Meet Claudia Bloom. She's having one of those years. First she steals her ex's VW bus and drives it from Austin to Santa Cruz, where it promptly explodes. Next she lets herself be rescued by Clay, a cute DJ on a motorcycle, falls hard and meets his somehow-never-mentioned estranged wife while searching frantically for her panties. She tries to forget about Clay and focus o...more
ebook
Published June 1st 2012 by Red Dress Ink (first published July 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Tart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tart

Leslie
I really enjoyed this book. I would classify it as a beach read, but with just enough substance to keep it interesting.

Claudia Bloom is at a crossroads. The main plot has her deciding if her new choice of career (professor) is something that she really wants to continue with. She also must decide to change her thought process when dealing with relationships after meeting Mr. Right. Her parents divorced when she was a young teen, and ever since then she decided to live a "tart" lifestyle in whic...more
Amanda
I really enjoyed this book. The only flaw is the main character never seems to actually behave like the books describes her personality. It says she is one way, but really she isn't. The book is supposed to be the character having like a whole turn around in her personality, but it never really shows her behaving in her old ways. Other wise the plot was very good, and it had just enough drama, and it also made you want to scream and tell the characters what to do. I would highly recommend it.
Andrea
Jody Gehrman writes wonderfully and realistically. This is one of the best chick lit books I've ever read. It's funny, descriptive and romantic. The story takes place in Santa Cruz (my home town), and the author captures the vibe perfectly. The characters are clearly drawn, and by the end you feel like you really know them. The opening scene when our heroine's car catches on fire from overheating on Highway 17 will be familiar to anyone who has ever made the commute.
Danielle
initally started reading, but got a bit melodramatic for my taste. i usually like the raw, rude type females, but this both wasnt doing it for me. didnt really finish, unless you count skipping to the end to see what happens, so i cant fully give it a bad rating. though the fact that i didnt finish it is a bad rating in itself. i see potential in this author, but she needs a less contrive main character and a more effortless main character and story line.
Violet
I read this while in bed with a cold, and I have to say it was good sick-day reading. the beginning started out very typical chick lit (if I wasn't stuck in bed I might not have hung in there) but by the end I was engrossed. Interesting storyline with a few unexpected twists (and a few expected ones too), and by the end of the book I found most of the characters very likable.
Penny
I really liked this one. With such a low rating I wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as I did. I found the author insightful and kept the fluff to a minimum. Although this one is a very light read, it still has enough substance to keep the pages turning.
Kim
Though the protagonist in this book is not as likable as some in other chick lit novels, she is still endearing in her own really messed up way. It's fun to read about Santa Cruz and Austin--especially if you've been there.
Stephanie Kabetzke
This is a really good, fun, light-hearted book! The main character doesn't take herself too seriously and her strange life, plus the crazy people she interacts with is completely entertaining!
Jen Angel
I think I read this in a day. It was quick and fun, though granted not complex and appealing to my demographic. It is set in Santa Cruz, which I also enjoyed.
Minakshi
Jan 27, 2008 Minakshi rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Minakshi by: Cynthia
Hilarious and smart! This book lives up to its name:
"tart(adj)1. sharp or caustic in spirit 2. sweet, sour, tangy, sexy, bad"
Lauren
A beach read that wasn't very engaging...I can't remember anything about the story which is a bad sign.
Shannon
Jan 17, 2009 Shannon rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who enjoy Chick Flicks
Recommended to Shannon by: noone, it was $2.50 @ Indigo, how could I pass up the price!
An OK book, better than some I've read in the past. A quick read though, nice short chapters.
Sue Young
I like to read all the way through an author when I find one I like. Tarte is a really fun romp
Ana Maria Gayle
Dec 08, 2007 Ana Maria Gayle rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Michelle
I loved this book from page one...it made me laugh out loud while reading. It is hilarious.
Kimberly Woodlief
This is a great book! Funny and witty and you will find your self laughing out load!
Jessica Nelson
Not usually the type of book I enjoy reading, but this one was kind of fun.
Meagan
Meh, your usual Chick Lit. Not great literature, but great vacation reading.
Monica
The main character so dramatic... I love it! Who would have guessed?! :)
Marisa
Better than average chick lit. Funny, sharp emotional crises.
Denise
I enjoyed this book...kind of felt like I was on a road trip.
Kim
I liked this book quite a bit. Very easy to get into and stick with.
Amy
I found this book very funny and liked the writing style a lot.
Jodi
If you are familiar with Santa Cruz, its a fun, easy read.
Jody
really good trashy summer beach read
Eli
I enjoyed the chaos of the story.
Britta
It's kind of an irritating book.
Dawn
Easy and enjoyable read.
  • Bombshell
  • The Funeral Planner
  • Name & Address Withheld
  • Loose Screws
  • Burning The Map
  • The Last Year Of Being Single (Red Dress Ink Novels)
  • Do They Wear High Heels In Heaven?
  • Getting Personal
  • True Lies of a Drama Queen
  • A Minor Indiscretion
  • Up & Out (Red Dress Ink)
  • Losing It
  • Whose Wedding Is It Anyway? (Red Dress Ink)
  • Crossing the Line
  • The Jinx (Rachel Benjamin, #2)
  • Inappropriate Men (Red Dress Ink)
  • Mean Season (Red Dress Ink Novels)
194256
Jody Gehrman is a native of Northern California, where she can be found writing, teaching, reading, or obsessing over her three cats most days. She is also the author of ten novels and numerous award-winning plays. Her Young Adult novels include The Truth About Jack, Audrey's Guide to Black Magic, Audrey's Guide to Witchcraft, Babe in Boyland, Confessions of a Triple Shot Betty, and Triple Shot Be...more
More about Jody Gehrman...
Babe in Boyland Confessions of a Triple Shot Betty (Triple Shot Bettys, #1) Triple Shot Bettys in Love (Triple Shot Bettys, #2) Audrey's Guide to Witchcraft (Audrey's Guides, #1) Notes From The Backseat